Week 2 Depth Chart Changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JPPT1974

UDFA
Yeah as there was also talk that Cooper himself would be wanting to take kickoffs and tackle but that did not come into place as it was Evans and though some reports say that Karty would had taken them.
Plus the reason Evans took kickoffs is to not give the Lions KR's any wiggle room for a return.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A stupid penalty is not poor execution . And even if it was poor execution , you can't blame the play calling for poor execution . Mcvay has no crystal ball to predict that Arcuri would make the most stupid and unnecessary penalty of all time . All he had to do was nothing . But he chose to blatantly grab detroit's player facemask and twist it . Even though he is 3rd string nobody can predict that kinda of stupidity . A power run would not change his action , he would probably do the same thing ( facemask ) . Outcome wouldn't change. The play worked because Whit scored a touchdown . You could complain about the play calling if whit didn't cross the line but he did.
Well, you have to understand potential risks of a playcall. Running to that side and expecting your PS LT to seal off Hutchinson and doing it cleanly was not a smart call. Run Williams up the middle again. He is a guy that normally gets that short yardage. They were inside the 1 on that play so just give it to Williams.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The defense played fairly well for a young group. However, I didn't see that much pressure on Goff. I also opine that there were a lot of plays where the defense made contact with the ball carrier behind the LOS and still allowed gains to be made. This needs to be addressed or we'll be served up to get another loss to the shitters in two weeks.

The offense did a heck of a job adjusting and getting the Rams back into the game. We were one 1st down short of closing it out.

LOURam85

Rookie
Defense: was awesome. Going up against one of the best OLs and offenses. They shut them down except for one burned play by White. At the end, just ran out of gas. Couldn’t have asked for anything more from this young D week 1.

Tutu: the issue always comes back to run blocking. He can’t - not to McVays level. My problem is, why draft and keep him if you are aware of this and won’t build any plays around that deficiency?!?

OL: we need a miracle
Exactly Mcvay is this offense genius ain’t he? Why he can’t scheme up 3-4 plays a game for Tutu to get ball in space and use his speed put him with Andy Reid or shannahan I bet they maximize his talents

fearsomefour

Legend
The odds of being able to trade for a LT that is better than Acuri is slim and none.
Every team needs more OL depth talent. Every one. Teams aren't trading OL in season, very rarely anyway.
Signing a vet that is not on a roster now is the best chance.
I think the Rams are staying in house,, at least for this week.

fearsomefour

Legend
Exactly Mcvay is this offense genius ain’t he? Why he can’t scheme up 3-4 plays a game for Tutu to get ball in space and use his speed put him with Andy Reid or shannahan I bet they maximize his talents
100%.
Its one of his few weaknesses as a coach. He forgets about or ignores players and over uses others.
21 targets for any receiver in a game is way way too many.
The Rams have other guys who can make plays.
As soon as Puka went down, the TEs went away completely in the passing game. It was not because they were helping the tackles.
I am afraid we will get back into the hyper focus on Kupp to the detriment of the offense as a whole. I don't know if its McVay, Stafford or both,, but, if Kupp is catch 14 passes a game that is going to mean more losses than wins.
There are plenty of guys who can make plays in this offense.....USE THEM.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
100%.
Its one of his few weaknesses as a coach. He forgets about or ignores players and over uses others.
21 targets for any receiver in a game is way way too many.
The Rams have other guys who can make plays.
As soon as Puka went down, the TEs went away completely in the passing game. It was not because they were helping the tackles.
I am afraid we will get back into the hyper focus on Kupp to the detriment of the offense as a whole. I don't know if its McVay, Stafford or both,, but, if Kupp is catch 14 passes a game that is going to mean more losses than wins.
There are plenty of guys who can make plays in this offense.....USE THEM.
Or Tutu is too limited? He was on the field for a few snaps. His role right now seems to strictly be as a deep threat.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense: was awesome. Going up against one of the best OLs and offenses. They shut them down except for one burned play by White. At the end, just ran out of gas. Couldn’t have asked for anything more from this young D week 1.

Tutu: the issue always comes back to run blocking. He can’t - not to McVays level. My problem is, why draft and keep him if you are aware of this and won’t build any plays around that deficiency?!?

OL: we need a miracle
It just seems to me that teams were scratching the bottom of the barrel a few weeks ago foe decent LT's. We will have to fork over draft picks to get a guy we need.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
After week one, negotiated contracts aren't guaranteed, so teams with needs can make deals with players sitting on the sidelines without committing big money
I bet Rams are looking to make a deal or two right now
Didn't McVay say in his presser about "bringing in some bodies". Guessing they may have been talking to some vets already prior to the game. Guys that they didn't want to give guaranteed contracts to, but guys that could help.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Guessing they may have been talking to some vets already prior to the game.

Did a quick check ... OTs only ... David Bakhtiari, D.J. Humphries, Charles Leno, one of the Camerons (Fleming or Erving ... doubt Diaz would work but I am a fan). Brandon Parker was just released by the Niners.

Don't know if Duane Brown or Donovan Smith have anything left. After that, @Loyal might be the best option. Although, @Da-Rock did post yesterday that he was over 300 lbs ... Maybe?

Last edited:

Stump23

Rookie
It seems that risking deep pass plays are not worth the risk with the injury riddled OL. Love to get Tutu a couple of deep shots but Stafford may not have the time necessary to drop back, set and throw. Hence the quick outs and crosses vs Det. Robinson, Johnson and even a bit of Whitt will hopefully gain Stafford's confidence so that Kupp doesn't have to make 14 catches a game. Parkinson showed his skill set, a healthy Higbee clone that should pay off.

DeaconJones

Rookie
The OL Fairy will hopefully deliver a workable LT from outside somewhere, but failing that, we have McAllister, Larson, Dedich on the PS. Not sure these guys can be trusted much but McAllister can at least backup C.

Also, with Puka going to IR, does Xavier Smith get promoted and maybe get a shot at kick returning?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OL Fairy will hopefully deliver a workable LT from outside somewhere, but failing that, we have McAllister, Larson, Dedich on the PS. Not sure these guys can be trusted much but McAllister can at least backup C.

Also, with Puka going to IR, does Xavier Smith get promoted and maybe get a shot at kick returning?
"We need a pic of the OL Fairy. Hopefully, she's hot." ~ @Merlin

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or Tutu is too limited? He was on the field for a few snaps. His role right now seems to strictly be as a deep threat.
This is where I am at. The Tutu experiment after they cleared out Jefferson to open shit up for him was a failure. Now I will admit they didn't have Kupp out there doing his thing as a draw to the defense during that window. But still. Any offense that aligns itself with Tutu as a consistent early read in the pattern will be at a disadvantage vs offenses that have real weapons. And we were undeniably a better offense when we replaced Tutu with Robinson, who himself is hardly some fucking juggernaut at WR. Dude is quite average.

If you look at this offense with an objective eye we have 3 elite players. Stafford, Kupp, and Nacua. What those three give us as a group is top notch possession threat. Nobody can move the chains like us when those three are healthy together. But they are fragile.

This past offseason McVay reportedly tried to add legit X speed and presence in FA but he re-signed with the Bucs. So the only speed we have is quite limited, the type that are eliminated by the slightest amount of physicality on the LOS.

So for this season the answer is going to be run game balance. Pairing those boys with a strong run game is the best possible path. And McVay has worked for that too, you can see the design by signing Jackson and Dotson in FA. Maybe they get there, if health supports it up front. I sure hope so, because it is fucking painful to watch Stafford get the shit beat out of him.

LOURam85

Rookie
He was making plays before he got hurt all over field he gets separation I think it’s more Stafford likes bigger targets … I just don’t see why they don’t just trade him

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This is where I am at. The Tutu experiment after they cleared out Jefferson to open shit up for him was a failure. Now I will admit they didn't have Kupp out there doing his thing as a draw to the defense during that window. But still. Any offense that aligns itself with Tutu as a consistent early read in the pattern will be at a disadvantage vs offenses that have real weapons. And we were undeniably a better offense when we replaced Tutu with Robinson, who himself is hardly some fucking juggernaut at WR. Dude is quite average.

If you look at this offense with an objective eye we have 3 elite players. Stafford, Kupp, and Nacua. What those three give us as a group is top notch possession threat. Nobody can move the chains like us when those three are healthy together. But they are fragile.

This past offseason McVay reportedly tried to add legit X speed and presence in FA but he re-signed with the Bucs. So the only speed we have is quite limited, the type that are eliminated by the slightest amount of physicality on the LOS.

So for this season the answer is going to be run game balance. Pairing those boys with a strong run game is the best possible path. And McVay has worked for that too, you can see the design by signing Jackson and Dotson in FA. Maybe they get there, if health supports it up front. I sure hope so, because it is fucking painful to watch Stafford get the shit beat out of him.
No time to throw deep right now. Period. So he is not useful at the moment.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No time to throw deep right now. Period. So he is not useful at the moment.
Agreed. But if we had say Evans out there on that sideline Stafford would be able to serve him up some jump balls, highpoint, back shoulders etc on three steps. Do that with Tutu it's a fuckin pick six.

dang

Legend
The reverse worked perfectly fine . Arcuri DID NOT have to pull Detroits player facemask , because he would never reach Whit. That stupid penalty cost us the game .
My reaction to any penalty against the Rams after a successful play is always “Bullshit!!!” But with replay it showed Acuri clearly committed a flagrant face mask. With that replay though came my “WTF Acuri!!!” As he had absolutely no reason to commit the foul. What kind of moron is that flagrant was my first reaction but followed by “Why?” As Hutchinson(??) Had 0.0% chance of keeping Whit from making the end zone. I hope Acuri had to answer to that one over and over on the plane ride home. Rams got to start building OL depth now. I’d think Acuri is the first casualty.