Week 2 Depth Chart Changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before the season I said I expected the Detroit game to be one of those losses that forces the Rams to see through their internal rationalizations on some of their players on the depth chart. Turns out the team played very hard and damn near upset a Lions team that had significant advantage on defense, which is admirable. But I still do think this game will force some changes.

:helmet: LT. This one is quite ugly. But obviously we're about to see a change here. I imagine the Rams are scouring the market today and tomorrow. We'll see who they bring in. But anyone will be better than Noteboom and clearly Arcuri was not ready to step in there either.

:helmet: ILB. Nothing against Reeder, who I think played about as good as he can in that Detroit game. But he takes bad angles at times, has limited range, and too often (for a guy of his size) gets dragged for extra yards. Nothing but respect for a guy who shows up for us and gives his all but this is a business and he's not good enough. I will say again his job will be gone by SF week. Because we cannot have him in there vs SF. But they will want to get Speights a full dry run vs Arizona to get him ready for SF so I expect the change is made this week at ILB.

:helmet: Z WR. Even if Puka is ok I expect they rest him against Arizona in preparation for SF. So this should be a start for Johnson, who played very well in Detroit and deserves a chance to show what he can do. Also Arizona is a divisional game, so this is a really big opportunity for Johnson. Hope he makes the most of it.

:helmet: NT. I don't think Brown played particularly well vs Detroit. Davis probably didn't do too much better, if at all, but I think Davis has more power to hold up in the middle in a prominent role than Brown. Brown is one of those guys who showed some improvement last season, but still comes up short I think and lands in that group the Rams try to convince themselves will be good enough. Now if Davis didn't do enough to jump him (which is certainly possible as he was rather invisible in his limited looks) I still expect him to eat up more snap real estate vs Arizona and I think that change will help the defensive front.

:helmet: WILB. Rozeboom I felt was solid, but the pairing overall felt like they were limited in range vs the Detroit backfield and speed will continue to be something we need more of even vs Arizona. Because you'll have Murray breaking contain like crazy in the early going I am sure, with the Rams adjusting that as the game goes on. But inserting Hummel would be an excellent way to help in this regard, so I figure Hummel gets a bump in snaps. Won't be a starter change, but Hummel to that pairing next to Speights is the inevitable destination IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they could use a real lane clogger at nose. I’d love it if they had a Linval Joseph for obvious run downs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they could use a real lane clogger at nose. I’d love it if they had a Linval Joseph for obvious run downs.
Truth. They did a good job finding more talent for that defensive front this offseason, but NT definitely feels like a weakness. We lack that meat 'n taters in the middle.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Before the season I said I expected the Detroit game to be one of those losses that forces the Rams to see through their internal rationalizations on some of their players on the depth chart. Turns out the team played very hard and damn near upset a Lions team that had significant advantage on defense, which is admirable. But I still do think this game will force some changes.

:helmet: LT. This one is quite ugly. But obviously we're about to see a change here. I imagine the Rams are scouring the market today and tomorrow. We'll see who they bring in. But anyone will be better than Noteboom and clearly Arcuri was not ready to step in there either.

:helmet: ILB. Nothing against Reeder, who I think played about as good as he can in that Detroit game. But he takes bad angles at times, has limited range, and too often (for a guy of his size) gets dragged for extra yards. Nothing but respect for a guy who shows up for us and gives his all but this is a business and he's not good enough. I will say again his job will be gone by SF week. Because we cannot have him in there vs SF. But they will want to get Speights a full dry run vs Arizona to get him ready for SF so I expect the change is made this week at ILB.

:helmet: Z WR. Even if Puka is ok I expect they rest him against Arizona in preparation for SF. So this should be a start for Johnson, who played very well in Detroit and deserves a chance to show what he can do. Also Arizona is a divisional game, so this is a really big opportunity for Johnson. Hope he makes the most of it.

:helmet: NT. I don't think Brown played particularly well vs Detroit. Davis probably didn't do too much better, if at all, but I think Davis has more power to hold up in the middle in a prominent role than Brown. Brown is one of those guys who showed some improvement last season, but still comes up short I think and lands in that group the Rams try to convince themselves will be good enough. Now if Davis didn't do enough to jump him (which is certainly possible as he was rather invisible in his limited looks) I still expect him to eat up more snap real estate vs Arizona and I think that change will help the defensive front.

:helmet: WILB. Rozeboom I felt was solid, but the pairing overall felt like they were limited in range vs the Detroit backfield and speed will continue to be something we need more of even vs Arizona. Because you'll have Murray breaking contain like crazy in the early going I am sure, with the Rams adjusting that as the game goes on. But inserting Hummel would be an excellent way to help in this regard, so I figure Hummel gets a bump in snaps. Won't be a starter change, but Hummel to that pairing next to Speights is the inevitable destination IMO.
Good topic.

LT - I agree that they gotta be looking at the trade market to see what's out there.

ILB - Who knows here? I'd like to see Speights now but I expect to see it later in the year somewhere around game 8. Why would they start with Reeder if they thought Speights was ready now?

Z WR - Agree here. I was impressed with Johnson.

NT - Brown didn't play well, but Davis was worse. PFF has Brown rated at 50 overall and Davis at 38. I'd be surprised if Davis surpassed Brown this year. Most likely, Brown is the starting NT for the year and they let him walk. Davis takes over next year as he needs seasoning.

WILB - Hummel didn't get one snap. That tells us where he is. I don't expect a significant change here next week.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Thought Reeder and Rozeboom were very good especially vs a team filled with crossing route plays. Never thought I'd utter those words

Also Durant was excellent dropped into hurt but was amazing play. White tripped but thought he was solid coming off injuries he's had. Also like curl and JJ.

Now I may get heat but please David Bakiari (spelling) Reiff and Smith all out there sitting RT there very worse they bk up AJ but let's face it if healthy and even average Bakiari is probably better. Bring him in please. I'm ok with Limmer Dotson Jax inside but Bakiari could be huge for us me try him out at least.

Also if puja gone I wouldn't mind actually would love Renfrow or give Claypool a shot. I know we have drob and maybe Johnson and witty but experience was wt mcvay seemed to be more comfortable with yesterday at certain positions which brings me to my last point...

I was shocked corum wasn't used the dude played at Michigan even a screen pass or two to change it up with all that pressure very surprised.

Lastly Acuri just not that good

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Also will take galimore out there more than brown RT now.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Defense: was awesome. Going up against one of the best OLs and offenses. They shut them down except for one burned play by White. At the end, just ran out of gas. Couldn’t have asked for anything more from this young D week 1.

Tutu: the issue always comes back to run blocking. He can’t - not to McVays level. My problem is, why draft and keep him if you are aware of this and won’t build any plays around that deficiency?!?

OL: we need a miracle

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gallimore was only in a few snaps. Was stout from my vantage point. He should get more snaps. Brown was gassed that last overtime series, couldn't have stopped Grandma in a wheelchair.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
From what we’ve seen in the past I just don’t know if Snead pulls in any street guys. I sure wouldn’t be opposed to cutting Noteboom, he’s had his chances and proved he’s glass. Bhaktari sure worth a look someone on a PS who is in football shape might be better.

Renfroe might be interesting but, he’s basically a worse Kupp. I like getting Johnson more looks and more TE use.

Goal line should have been pounding Corum, there’s just no excuse for not using him there. A reverse from the 1/2 line is stupid, just pound the damn rock McVay.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
From what we’ve seen in the past I just don’t know if Snead pulls in any street guys. I sure wouldn’t be opposed to cutting Noteboom, he’s had his chances and proved he’s glass. Bhaktari sure worth a look someone on a PS who is in football shape might be better.

Renfroe might be interesting but, he’s basically a worse Kupp. I like getting Johnson more looks and more TE use.

Goal line should have been pounding Corum, there’s just no excuse for not using him there. A reverse from the 1/2 line is stupid, just pound the damn rock McVay.
The reverse worked perfectly fine . Arcuri DID NOT have to pull Detroits player facemask , because he would never reach Whit. That stupid penalty cost us the game .

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The reverse worked perfectly fine . Arcuri DID NOT have to pull Detroits player facemask , because he would never reach Whit. That stupid penalty cost us the game .
So it didn’t work fine because of poor execution, it can’t be both.

Power runs are easier to block and we have a guy who is an absolute bowling ball sitting on the bench. It doesn’t have to be rocket science.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Hav is playing, they should probably move McClendon to left tackle. I'm assuming Noteboom being carted off means more than just a one week thing. AZ doesn't have a pass rusher in the same class as Aiden Hutchinson. And the way they fought back makes me think they can withstand the losses for one more week.

Looking at the schedule I did think starting 1-2 was a real possibility. Last night's loss makes this game critical. Starting 0-3 decreases their chances of playoffs a lot more. I don't know if they can be healthy enough to beat SF. Its likely Avila's out for a few weeks. Puka may be too. I guess losing guys this early does give the backups more practice time with the first team this week and maybe they can do better next time.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bad idea Snackers. McClenden has slow footwork, speed rushers will abuse him They need to bring in someone off the street or work a trade.

They put Acuri out there again, Stafford may get mauled.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We might just try to limp through this week at LT, knowing AJ is coming back for week 3.
I don't think any starting caliber LTs are available for trade, nobody is that stupid, are they?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Power runs are easier to block and we have a guy who is an absolute bowling ball sitting on the bench. It doesn’t have to be rocket science.
The execution was fine, the penalty was terrible.
Phantom play calls always work

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After week one, negotiated contracts aren't guaranteed, so teams with needs can make deals with players sitting on the sidelines without committing big money
I bet Rams are looking to make a deal or two right now

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

I'd like having the depth with Renfrow but I'm also tired of just being pinned in on punts because nobody can return it like at least 10-15 yards.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If healthy Bakiari Reiff or Smith makes sense even a traffic come would be better

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao

A stupid penalty is not poor execution . And even if it was poor execution , you can't blame the play calling for poor execution . Mcvay has no crystal ball to predict that Arcuri would make the most stupid and unnecessary penalty of all time . All he had to do was nothing . But he chose to blatantly grab detroit's player facemask and twist it . Even though he is 3rd string nobody can predict that kinda of stupidity . A power run would not change his action , he would probably do the same thing ( facemask ) . Outcome wouldn't change. The play worked because Whit scored a touchdown . You could complain about the play calling if whit didn't cross the line but he did.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Not looking good. Nacua out till after the bye. Unfortunate.