We Should Sign Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this is likely an unpopular opinion, but how many of us feel comfortable with our backup QBs? Offer him a NFL minimum contract. He might accept it because he wants an opportunity to be part of a contender. Bradford is far from perfect, but if disaster happens, I feel more comfortable with him under center than Mannion and Allen. Yes I know he struggled this year, but the Cardinals were a disaster. I think McVay could get competent enough play out of him if necessary.

Ram77

Rookie
This would be a great insurance policy but what would be the cap ramifications?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I know this is likely an unpopular opinion, but how many of us feel comfortable with our backup QBs? Offer him a NFL minimum contract. He might accept it because he wants an opportunity to be part of a contender. Bradford is far from perfect, but if disaster happens, I feel more comfortable with him under center than Mannion and Allen. Yes I know he struggled this year, but the Cardinals were a disaster. I think McVay could get competent enough play out of him if necessary.
I agree. Said so when AZ released him. Our season is likely over if Goff goes down. Bradford could function at a pretty good level here IMO because of the coaching, supporting cast and most of all...protection.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would be a great insurance policy but what would be the cap ramifications?

NFL minimum salary won't be a big issue. Obviously, he couldn't demand a bunch of money. If he did, it's a no.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry guys. I’d rather hire his agent for the job. Bradford is a good man, but his days as an effective QB in the NFL are over.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. Problem is Sam is going to hold out for the next FA season so he can squeeze as much money from the market as possible. Sam be Sam.

But yes I would have at least called his agent and talked some shop, I mean maybe the dude feels like he's got enough cash in the bank by now eh?

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Meh.

I would not object as Mannion has never shown he is anything but a bottom of the barrel backup.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Do we know if he's interested in playing?

If so, I guess he can be the Rams' elite-scrub-backup, no?

He's better than Christian Hackenberg -- I hope that doesn't upset the CH fans out there.

View: https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1059573902484140032

Lower down the list but still relevant is the fact that Bradford's long-bothersome knee has become "bone on bone" with no cartilage after two ACL surgeries. We'd be surprised if Bradford played again. Nov 5 - 5:35 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

View: https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1064269793077821441

View: https://twitter.com/HomerMcFanboy/status/1064273006338498565

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
While I agree with a lot of your opinions @jrry32 , this is one I don't agree with and the reason has more to do with how I view what a back up QB entails behind the scenes. I look as it as which back up can best support Goff. They help break down overheads. They watch every offensive play as closely as they can, and tell the starter what they see happening. They help break down game film during the week. There is no indication that Bradford can do any of this better than Mannion in the frame of McVay's offense or in communicating it to Goff. I acknowledge that Mannion may not be the ideal QB to come in should the worst case scenario happen, but the truth is Bradford would only give us a slightly less chance to be less doomed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree with a lot of your opinions @jrry32 , this is one I don't agree with and the reason has more to do with how I view what a back up QB entails behind the scenes. I look as it as which back up can best support Goff. They help break down overheads. They watch every offensive play as closely as they can, and tell the starter what they see happening. They help break down game film during the week. There is no indication that Bradford can do any of this better than Mannion in the frame of McVay's offense or in communicating it to Goff. I acknowledge that Mannion may not be the ideal QB to come in should the worst case scenario happen, but the truth is Bradford would only give us a slightly less chance to be less doomed.

There's no indication that he can't. On the other hand, if there's an injury, Bradford isn't long separated from good play. With the our ability to protect the QB, scheming, and weapons, Bradford could be effective here (like he was in Minnesota). Obviously, he's not Goff, but no backup QB will be.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
There has to be a better backup option than Bradford? I mean really. I dont think he would be effective enough even if Goff did go down.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I haven't thought about Sam Bradford in almost 3 years and it's been glorious. We are so lucky to have Jared Goff.

We've paid Sam enough money already and call me superstitious, but I don't want him in the same room as Goff. If Jared goes down the season is over anyways so I would hold off.

Back to life without Sam Bradford :). That is all I need.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
There's no indication that he can't. On the other hand, if there's an injury, Bradford isn't long separated from good play. With the our ability to protect the QB, scheming, and weapons, Bradford could be effective here (like he was in Minnesota). Obviously, he's not Goff, but no backup QB will be.
While true that there is no indication he can't, I would have to defer to McVay on this one. There must be a reason that Mannion is the backup and any number of other castaways are not. Personally I think it's the reasons stated above and there was much said when we drafted Mannion about his football IQ and being a coach's son.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giphy.gif

I do not like him,
Sam-I-am.

I would not like him
Here or there.
I would not like him
Anywhere.
I do not like him,
Sam-I-am

I do not like him
as a Ram
I do not like him
Sam-I-am

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While true that there is no indication he can't, I would have to defer to McVay on this one. There must be a reason that Mannion is the backup and any number of other castaways are not. Personally I think it's the reasons stated above and there was much said when we drafted Mannion about his football IQ and being a coach's son.

Keep Mannion as QB3 then. All I know is I don't trust him to lead this team if Goff is hurt.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Sure, but we'd need to find a viable 3rd stringer. His health is a huge question mark, he could go down as soon as he's in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't thought about Sam Bradford in almost 3 years and it's been glorious. We are so lucky to have Jared Goff.

We've paid Sam enough money already and call me superstitious, but I don't want him in the same room as Goff. If Jared goes down the season is over anyways so I would hold off.

Back to life without Sam Bradford :). That is all I need.

I'm just not bitter towards Sam. Him being a backup here for 5 regular season games and the playoffs won't have him in my mind. And if he is in my mind, it's because Goff is hurt. If that happens, I'd rather have him in my mind than Mannion.