We have 3 players that are a bit problematic, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And they’re not really the players that many had expected.

Goff’s doing fine. Better than fine, really.
Gurley is having a helluva season.
Sully has excelled at C.
Barron has more than held up at ILB so far.

Nope, the above are all exceeding our expectations.

Here are my “problematic three”.

Tavon Austin. My feelings are well known. He’s a man without a position. And weakens the team when he’s placed on the field.
Robert Quinn. Is it fair to say that he’s degenerated into our weakest link on D? I think so.
Sammy Watkins. Not too early to call him problematic is it? Something’s just not “right” there, okay? Big disappointment compared to expectations, so far.

Honestly, I think Tavon and Quinn will be gone next year. Watkins? Let’s just say that he needs to start impressing if he expects to be rewarded with a big Ram contract.

Sigh...

Feels good to get that off my chest.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

Sully has excelled at C.

Tavon Austin. My feelings are well known. He’s a man without a position. And weakens the team when he’s placed on the field.
Robert Quinn. Is it fair to say that he’s degenerated into our weakest link on D? I think so.
Sammy Watkins. Not too early to call him problematic is it? Something’s just not “right” there, okay? Big disappointment compared to expectations, so far.

Honestly, I think Tavon and Quinn will be gone next year. Watkins? Let’s just say that he needs to start impressing if he expects to be rewarded with a big Ram contract.

Sigh...

I believe Austin’s snaps can be admirably handled by Cooper.

They moved Quinn to the other side to see what he could do. Eh, not much better.

Watkins is a work in progress. So, I guess I think you are spot on my brother.

Still, the coaches will continue to get as much out of these three as possible this year.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Could Watkins be shell shocked by his concussion? He doesn't seem to like the middle and I only see him thrown at for deep side line stuff?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I believe Austin’s snaps can be admirably handled by Cooper.

They moved Quinn to the other side to see what he could do. Eh, not much better.

Watkins is a work in progress. So, I guess I think you are spot on my brother.

Still, the coaches will continue to get as much out of these three as possible this year.

Sorry man, Just don't agree with you. You say Austin weakens the team. I'd bet most would say lanes open up even more because of him. And quite frankly, I'm getting extremely tired of these continued Austin threads. If the dude made $1M we'd never bring him up. I've said it in another thread, before this year he had over 22 combined touchdowns since he came into the league. Who exactly is going to replace that production?? He missed almost all of training camp due to injury. He's still rounding into shape. Let's be fair too, it's up to coach to get him the ball, same with Watkins.
The only one I'd say I can understand is Quinn. He's not the same as he was. Seems to rely solely on trying to speed rush outside only. But he's still got a couple sacks and pressures. Maybe something to look at.
But as for the WR's I can't get on board with your opinion.

P.S. That's not blasting you at all, we all have our opinions and I respect that. Just don't agree.
The more Austin and Watkins get the ball the better they have to make something happen. Look at Gurley compared to last year. Why? Hell of a lot more touches and actual blocking :) I promise you if Austin and Watkins weren't lined up defenses would be stacking the box a lot more.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i said yesterday im pretty done with quinn ... ive said it and been laughed at before ,,, he hasn't been the same player when he didn't have chris long on the other end flushing the QB his way ...

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Ram 43, I think you pretty much have it right, but I would like to add OTree to that list. He's hot and cold overall in his performance and he's been missing too many tackles for a MLB. That's supposed to be the strength of a player at that position.

In general, it seems like the Rams tend to miss a lotta tackles early on in the game. They seem to get it figured out by the 2nd half though.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

Sully has excelled at C.

Sigh...

+1,000

A55VA6

Legend
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Ejuan Price is a better option at ROLB right now than Quinn. I like Quinn and all, but he's just not the same. Maybe Rams can find a way to activate Price on gameday and give him a few snaps.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Sully has excelled at C.

Sigh...

I agree about Tavon and Watkins. But I just can't agree about Quinn. Yet! He's holding his own. he had 2 tackles / 2 Tackles for loss and 1 QB Hit during the Jag's game. that's the "Stats" but I saw him getting more pressure than the stats reflect in this game and other games!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Ejuan Price is a better option at ROLB right now than Quinn. I like Quinn and all, but he's just not the same. Maybe Rams can find a way to activate Price on gameday and give him a few snaps.
id actually go with Lonngacre instead

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm not sure if Tavon is fixable at this point. It's almost the middle of the season and he still can't even figure out where to line up. He fumbled away his punt return duties and has been hit or miss at RB. We don't even attempt to throw to him anymore.

Quinn's issue is he just isn't a 3-4 player. I still believe he has value with his hand in the dirt but he has definitely lost a step from his glory days.

Watkins has not been able to find his rhythm in the offense, clearly. At this stage, I don't think he is important enough to retain.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Longacre has been better than Quinn in many situations, but I like him as a relief guy. I guess I'm just curious about Price because I like his skill set.
i just think if longarce can produce 3 sacks as relief id like to see what he can do with more time and chances and in obvious passing downs

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
bwdenverram;

I get your point re Austin. He DOES bring something to the offense, but not when he's overused. It just becomes too obvious. Him circling back as a decoy keeps at least one defender from chasing down Gurley from behind. I definitely see the effect on the defense when Austin is in. They tend to freeze for an instant to make sure he isn't getting the ball.

When they relax, that sweep/reverse is there. It just gets ran sometimes when it is so painfully obvious.

But if he can't return punts (and right now he stinks), he really has little value. We can get somebody else to play decoy and get the occasional carry off of it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree with you @Rams43 except for Austin. I think he will end up being useful in more visible ways. He's a big help in the run game.

ive said it and been laughed at before ,,, he hasn't been the same player when he didn't have chris long on the other end flushing the QB his way ...

I think you may be right that has to be factored in along with his back. He's not productive and isn't playing well.

Watkins has not been able to find his rhythm in the offense, clearly. At this stage, I don't think he is important enough to retain.

IMO it's too soon to tell. He may not be up to speed yet, and he is drawing the defense's best cover guy and often keeping a safety honest too.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Agree with Quinn. It's too bad because I really like him (in our old 4-3 system). Sammy, I can understand his frustration, and I like to think he's a work in progress. We took a couple shots deep with him, and Goff just misfired by a little. One would have been an easy TD if it wasn't overthrown, and one of was too far to the left (towards the defender, versus to the right where Sammy was). I'm hoping they get those cleaned up and figured out sooner than later so he's happier, and we're happier. TA, at this point the money is burned and he as a decoy or running option is really opening our running game. As a receiver and special teams, well... I just wish he could catch

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Sorry man, Just don't agree with you. You say Austin weakens the team. I'd bet most would say lanes open up even more because of him. And quite frankly, I'm getting extremely tired of these continued Austin threads. If the dude made $1M we'd never bring him up. I've said it in another thread, before this year he had over 22 combined touchdowns since he came into the league. Who exactly is going to replace that production?? He missed almost all of training camp due to injury. He's still rounding into shape. Let's be fair too, it's up to coach to get him the ball, same with Watkins.
The only one I'd say I can understand is Quinn. He's not the same as he was. Seems to rely solely on trying to speed rush outside only. But he's still got a couple sacks and pressures. Maybe something to look at.
But as for the WR's I can't get on board with your opinion.

P.S. That's not blasting you at all, we all have our opinions and I respect that. Just don't agree.
The more Austin and Watkins get the ball the better they have to make something happen. Look at Gurley compared to last year. Why? Hell of a lot more touches and actual blocking :) I promise you if Austin and Watkins weren't lined up defenses would be stacking the box a lot more.

I’m not certain you intended to reply to my post instead of the OP’s. I didn’t say he weakened the team, only that Cooper can do the same things. He’s certainly done as well or better at the return game. Wouldn’t he ALSO help create lanes for Gurley on Jet Sweeps? Is he not also a creative ball carrier in space? And I haven’t ever mentioned money...but next year I might when it becomes relevant.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think most NFL GMs would drag their balls across hot coals to have those 3 players as their problems.

Tavon is impacting the running game with the threat of the jet - its plain as day to see. Is he a value on his contract? No - but he is very well worth having on the field.

Sammy is eating up the other teams top CB and attracting safety help. This is why Woods is so involved - the Rams are taking what the D is making available. They aren't playing fantasy football out there - they are moving the chains.

Quinn is getting pressures - a lot of them. Forcing the QB to get rid of the ball quickly is one of the things that makes this defense go. Sacks are obviously important, but pressures have real value.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
IMO it's too soon to tell. He may not be up to speed yet, and he is drawing the defense's best cover guy and often keeping a safety honest too.

How many millions are you willing to pay a decoy?