Watched the Game Again...Quick Analyses on Ficken

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People think he looked shaky because he cost us 7 points in the first half. McVay opted to punt vice kicking the long FG, then he missed an extra point, followed by a missed FG of easy range. The fact he bounced back in the second half is what saved his job, but make no mistake the dude is on the hotseat.

You can't really guarantee GZ making that 51 yarder either, though - not even this season. And if he missed suddenly Tennessee has a lot better field position and that would affect the rest of the half, possibly.

Yes, he missed a PAT and an easier field goal (costing me ROD credits - over 70,000 all told). But he improved, and more importantly - there is only crap available to replace him anyway. Better to at least give him a chance to show that after his early jitters he can be the guy who won the tryout over a bunch of others who haven't been able to find a kicking job either.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/seahawks-add-jason-myers-to-kicking-options/

Seahawks add Jason Myers as kicking option
Posted by Josh Alper on January 3, 2018

845334120-e1515020230867.jpg

Getty Images

The Seahawks signed Blair Walsh early in the 2017 offseason and he wound up holding onto their kicking job for the entire season.

Walsh is set to become a free agent in March and the Seahawks have already acquired one potential replacement. The NFL’s daily transaction wire brings word that they have signed former Jaguars kicker Jason Myers to a reserve/future contract that will give Myers a spot on the 90-man roster this offseason.

Myers was 11-of-15 on field goals and 15-of-17 on extra points in the first six games of this season before Jacksonville replaced him with Josh Lambo.

Walsh was 21-of-29 on field goals for Seattle this season. Those misses included a kick that would have beaten the Cardinals in Week 17, a game-tying attempt in a loss to the Falcons and three field goals in a 17-14 loss to the Redskins.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to top ranked offenses and defenses train....look at how we handled Tennessee....and they are in the playoff hunt...at home...and still....pretty easy win if you ask me....Now you don't wanna do that with another solid team...like the Pats...or Vikes...but on average, a good defense can overcome poor ST's play....so can a great offense.
Flipping the field like Hekker and Pharoh have done for us is very important to any team.

Tenn has probably the best ST next to ours and on that day better.

Maybe I’m blind but I think Ficken is getting his bearings. Sure I hope it does not come down to ST to win the game but it is short sighted to discount what our ST has meant to us and we ARE a very good team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/rams-remain-confident-in-sam-ficken/

Rams remain confident in Sam Ficken
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2018

898119508-e1515041002344.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams host the first playoff game at the L.A. Coliseum in nearly 40 years on Saturday night. If the game comes down to a late field goal, they won’t have Greg Zuerlein to rely on. With Zuerlein on injured reserve, Sam Ficken will be the guy — and the Rams continue to have confidence in him.

Or at least they say they do.

“I think so,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Wednesday. “I think last week there were kicks that he can tell you, he expects to make, but you still got to go out there and make them. I’ve said this before, and [special-teams coordinator John Fassel] and I kind of joke about it, I got a chance to work in Washington with Danny Smith who now is a great special-teams coordinator for the Steelers, and he always used to joke about, people say it’s a chip shot, but there’s a lot of things that go into making that kick that there’s not chip shots in this league.

When you look at the rush, the snap, the hold, the kick. I think with what he can control and what he did, you look at the way he responded in Tennessee and then last week’s performance against San Francisco. He did very well and we have a lot of confidence in Sam going into a big game.”

It’s one thing to fret about the possibility of making a chip shot; it’s quite another to rely on an unproven kicker to deliver in a big spot from 45 or more yards.

“I think there’s always that uncertainty, but what we’ve seen from him in practice and that’s the closest thing we can do to project right now – he’s done a great job,” McVay said regarding long field-goal attempts. “I think just as he gets more comfortable with the surrounding environment and the guys here – I think guys have done a great job welcoming him here and making him feel comfortable.

Then, the last couple of games you look at where it all started in Tennessee and those elements were a little bit more difficult as well. . . . He seems like he’s a mentally tough guy, kind of unfazed. You hear us talk about Jared [Goff], in the little bit of exposure you’ve had to Sam.

He’s got a nice way about himself where he doesn’t seem like any moment’s too big for him and love the way he responded in Tennessee and last week. Until you get into those games, there’s a lot of uncertainty. It’s the same thing where you talk about our inexperience as a team, but I think we’re confident. We’re excited about the opportunity and I think Sam feels the same way.”

And now it’s just a matter of waiting to see whether that opportunity will come — and whether Ficken will make it or miss it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think place kicking is 70% mental 20 % technique 10% physical (the leg ) ... I think bones and Greg can help him with the technique

I might have to check but there was a missed kick where they tainted fick.. and the team had his back Hekker pushed the tit head away from Ficken and I don’t think he missed again after that .. hopefully that gives him some confidence

Like a golf swing, it has to be correct, and the further from "correct" or "true" it is, the less accurate it will be.

Form is important as anything when it comes to striking a ball that is stationary. The only thing that will effect it's path other than wind is how it's hit.

Maybe I’m blind but I think Ficken is getting his bearings.

I may be blind too, I think he was hitting the ball fine and will get into a groove.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sean McVay admits there's 'uncertainty' with Sam Ficken kicking long FGs
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ams-sean-mcvay-sam-ficken-kicker-uncertainty/

In a matter of days, the Los Angeles Rams went from having the best kicking situation in the NFL to possibly the worst. Greg Zuerlein’s back injury, which seemingly came out of nowhere, was a devastating one at the end of the season. It forced the Rams to replace him as quickly as possible before their game against the Titans, doing so by signing Sam Ficken – a kicker with no NFL experience. He has a big leg, as evidenced by a 65-yard field goal in practice at Penn State a few years ago, but the Rams have yet to see it in a game.

Rams to stick with kicker Sam Ficken in the postseason
In two games, Ficken has only attempted three field goals. He was good from 21 and 23 yards on Sunday against the 49ers, but he missed a 36-yarder against the Titans two weeks ago. To make matters worse, he clanked an extra point off the upright in his NFL debut and is just 6-for-8 on kick attempts this season.He has yet to try a field goal from 40-plus yards, which is somewhat concerning entering the postseason. Even Sean McVay admits there’s some uncertainty when it comes to Ficken kicking long field goals.

“I think there’s always is that uncertainty, but what we’ve seen from him in practice and that’s the closest thing we can do to project right now,” McVay said on Wednesday. “He’s got a nice way about himself where he doesn’t seem like any moment’s too big for him and love the way he responded in Tennessee and last week. Until you get into those games, there’s a lot of uncertainty. … We’re excited about the opportunity and I think Sam feels the same way.”

usatsi_10498138.jpg

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

There’s no doubt McVay has “a lot of confidence” in Ficken moving forward, mainly because he has to. The Rams can’t exactly turn back now with just three days before their playoff game against the Falcons, so Ficken will have to be the guy.Still, it’s not the best situation to have where your kicker hasn’t attempted a single 40-yard field goal in the NFL and hasn’t made anything beyond a 33-yard extra point.

Psycho_X

Legend
One thing I'd do if I was the Rams would be to "rent" the coliseum for a couple hours a couple of days this week to have Ficken go down and practice on that field. Just so he is as familiar with it as he can be.

Luckily, he won't be asked to kick field goals in Green Bay or Chicago in the middle of winter so he has that going for him. Worst case scenario he has LA, dome in Minny, and then have to kick in Philly which would suck. But hopefully, if we get that far, Philly is already done and he comes back to LA.