Watched the Game Again...Quick Analyses on Ficken

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-12-26_16-4-23.jpeg

First of all, it really bothered me that the Rams decided not to kick a field goal on the first drive, which would have been about 49-50 yards. I truly believe if the Rams had signed a veteran like Dan Carpenter or Garrett Hartley, they would have tried a field goal...That being posted away we go:

1. Missed extra point....Was not even close, did not strike the ball well and it faded right most Golfers recognize this as not following through or hitting the club open face.
  2. Missed Field Goal...33 Yards, you have to make the kick, Ficken struck the ball much better, but again the ball began to fade somewhat and hit the upright dead on...No Good.
  3. Second extra point....Dead on, his best kick of the day.
  4. Third extra point...Good strike, ball did fade right again, but just towards the end.
  5. Fourth extra point...Again good strike, went threw again faded a bit at the end.
  6. Kickoffs...Two of the kickoffs were not returned with one being out of the end zone, one kick off was very short fielded at the ten yard line and because short kick Titans returned it to the 30. He did place the ball very well when the Rams went up 20-13, but it was returned to midfield. Again not sure if Fassel instructed him to kick it that way and it was fielded at the goal line to the Rams left, however, that request might have been asked for because they did not feel he could kick it out of the end zone.
I will admit I have been spoiled this year by Zuerlein and I was aware how good Zuerlein was with all the issues at kicker this year and now it has hit the Rams. When you look at the stats of the other kickers I can understand why Fassel went with the kid who gave the best workout, but if he misses the easy field goals again I would go with either Dan Carpenter who has the best field goal percentage or Jason Myers,(Jags) who has a big time leg and was just a few touch backs short of Zuerlein 63-60, Myers also has kicked a 58 yard field goal and when released by the Jags had missed 4 field goals, three of over 50 yards and a 35 yard FG against us for those who remember....Garrett Hartley is another, who had some success, but has not kicked since 2015 for the Steelers and then pulled his hamstring and was put on IR, concerned why he has not been signed with all the other issues around the NFL.

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are taking the best option here. See what the kid does with this staff and another week of preparation. If he kicks well against the 49ers, that's great. If he doesn't do well, then the veteran options are still out there.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
View attachment 23438

First of all, it really bothered me that Rams decided not to kick a field goal on the first drive, which would have been about 49-50 yards. I truly believe if the Rams had signed a veteran like Dan Carpenter or Garrett Hartley, they would have tried a field goal...That being posted away we go:

1. Missed extra point....Was not even close, did not strike the ball well and it faded right most Golfers recognize this as not following through or hitting the club open face.
  2. Missed Field Goal...33 Yards, you have to make the kick, Ficken struck the ball much better, but again the ball began to fade somewhat and hit the upright dead on...No Good.
  3. Second extra point....Dead on, his best kick of the day.
  4. Third extra point...Good strike, ball did fade right again, but just towards the end.
  5. Fourth extra point...Again good strike, went threw again faded a bit at the end.
  6. Kickoffs...Two of the kickoffs were not returned, one kick off was very short field at the ten yard line and because short kick Titans returned it to the 30. He did place the ball very well when the Rams went up 20-13, but it was returned to midfield. Again not sure if Fassel instructed him to kick it that way and it was fielded at the goal line to the Rams left, however, that request might have been asked for because they did not feel he could kick it out of the end zone.
I will admit I have been spoiled this year by Zuerlein and I was aware how good Zuerlein was with all the issues at kicker this year and now it has hit the Rams. When you look at the stats of the other kickers I can understand why Fassel went with the kid who gave the best workout, but he misses the easy field goals again I would go with either Dan Carpenter who has the best field goal percentage or Jason Myers,(Jags) who has a big time leg and was just a few touch backs short of Zuerlein 63-60, Myers also has kicked a 58 yard field goal and when released by the Jags had missed 4 field goals, three of over 50 yards in a 35 yard FG against us for those who remember.
Myers was released right after we faced the jags bc he missed 3 fg's in a row. Fickens start was rough, but that's all im considering it atm...a rough start. Didnt seem to get to much in his head. Dont know much about Carpenter, but the missed fg's from Myers obviously got to his head. I saw him leave the locker room at the end of that game and that dude looked like he needed to be on suicide watch.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmm, coulda sworn it was 3. Guess not.

However, they did cut him that week and signed Josh Lambo as Myers had missed two extra points and four FG's at the time,, but what I liked about Myers was his booming leg...Most likely the Rams give Ficken another shot and I'm betting he does well enough against the 49ers that they keep him and then we hold our breath in the playoffs.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Ficken went from 1/5 and a missed xp in one of his 1st college games to setting a PSU record for most consecutive fgs made and a really good success rate his senior year, with some really clutch fgs. I got faith he will bounce back

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, they did cut him that week and signed Josh Lambo as Myers had missed two extra points and four FG's at the time,, but what I liked about Myers was his booming leg...Most likely the Rams give Ficken another shot and I'm betting he does well enough against the 49ers that they keep him and then we hold our breath in the playoffs.

Yea, I was surprised we didn't give Myers a shot, but Fassel might have detected some mental issues with him. He was quite good as a rookie (aside from PATs) but has gotten progressively worse since then.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If we could sign a veteran kicker, it could make take some of the the mental issue out of it. We don't have time to build someone's confidence, IMO.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
If we could sign a veteran kicker, it could make take some of the the mental issue out of it. We don't have time to build someone's confidence, IMO.

Every veteran free agent kicker has mental issues. There is a reason they aren't signed.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Being a kicker is mostly mental; lacking the physical requirements would automatically not take you into consideration to begin with. Hoping Fassell's replicating his magic that rubbed off on Hekker and Legatron

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have mixed emotions with this.

A Vet would feel better. But... pickings are slim.

In Bones we trust.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think place kicking is 70% mental 20 % technique 10% physical (the leg ) ... I think bones and Greg can help him with the technique

I might have to check but there was a missed kick where they tainted fick.. and the team had his back Hekker pushed the tit head away from Ficken and I don’t think he missed again after that .. hopefully that gives him some confidence

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He looked shaky....every single kick IMO....definitely not ready for the playoffs with MORE pressure.....I wouldn't have a clue on what to do?

But, I'd suggest Argyou.....whatever the kids name is....he was a 2nd rounder for a reason.

chkelly

UDFA
I think place kicking is 70% mental 20 % technique 10% physical (the leg ) ... I think bones and Greg can help him with the technique

I might have to check but there was a missed kick where they tainted fick.. and the team had his back Hekker pushed the tit head away from Ficken and I don’t think he missed again after that .. hopefully that gives him some confidence

You're right, I was watching the game and they showed Hekker stand up for Ficken by pushing away a Titans DL trying to get in his face after the miss. Love that and I think it boosted Ficken after that display of support.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
You're right, I was watching the game and they showed Hekker stand up for Ficken by pushing away a Titans DL trying to get in his face after the miss. Love that and I think it boosted Ficken after that display of support.
The Titans d liner was jurell Casey and he wasn't trying to get in his face at all, he was trying to stay in his head. He walked up clapping and tried to shake fickens hand after his 2nd missed kick.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
He looked shaky....every single kick IMO....definitely not ready for the playoffs with MORE pressure.....I wouldn't have a clue on what to do?

But, I'd suggest Argyou.....whatever the kids name is....he was a 2nd rounder for a reason.
Man how are you not an NFL coach lol you seem to know it all

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

My wife was screaming, during the live play "Yeah HEKKER STAND UP FOR HIM. Welcome him to the team!"

I didn't even notice it, then they showed the replay.