Watched the Game Again...Quick Analyses on Ficken

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What concerns me most was the Rams not trying that first field goal.

I love this team and our chances, but losing GZ was enormous. Just a massive impact, and when I see Fickens out there I feel a sense of doom. Really hope I'm wrong man, but meh.

Totally concur, it would have been from 50 yards,but WTH did you sign him to do? Overall I really do hope Ficken gets more work against San Francisco so we either feel better about him or the Rams look at someone else for post season....Again without the likes of Goff, Gurley, Whitworth, etc., Just how good will the offense be on Sunday?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
where they tainted fick
I hate it when Ficks get tainted! :LOL:

Kidding aside... I was holding my breath with every kick of his.

I'm at a loss with how much confidence I have with him and Fassell.

On one hand, I'm thinking he can get coached up and has confidence and it's gonna be alright.

On the other hand, after what I saw last week, I am very nervous.

I guess there's nothing we can do except have some faith and hope (a lot!!)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Every veteran free agent kicker has mental issues. There is a reason they aren't signed.
Mental issues and confidence are completely different things. Experience is what you need, and if they make that first kick, confidence will come.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Shoulda let him try that 51 yarder early in the game.
Had he made it (and it was 50/50), it could have really boosted his confidence afterward.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shoulda let him try that 51 yarder early in the game.
Had he made it (and it was 50/50), it could have really boosted his confidence afterward.
We've discussed this, Tye Webb is the answer for the frickin Fickin...

KkGTLqA.png

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He looked shaky....every single kick IMO....definitely not ready for the playoffs with MORE pressure.....I wouldn't have a clue on what to do?

But, I'd suggest Argyou.....whatever the kids name is....he was a 2nd rounder for a reason.
The reason is Tampa sucks

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I also know, ST is not very important.....unless you have a terrible kicker.

You know by now I'm not on the "let's pile on LACHAMP46" team :sneaky: but I really wish you would explain the above statement you made. ST is not very important? So punting, punt/kickoff returns and coverage plus field position is not important, only the kicker is? Really? Or did I misunderstand?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
when I see Fickens out there I feel a sense of doom.
Totally.

I can only hope that the bad conditions in Tennessee contributed, and maybe he’ll look better in sunny CA.

But man, if we are fortunate enough to advance and play a bad weather game in Philly... holy crap, I can only imagine what we will feel like when Ficken trots out for a FG attempt.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really wish you would explain the above statement you made. ST is not very important? So punting, punt/kickoff returns and coverage plus field position is not important, only the kicker is? Really? Or did I misunderstand?
Unless you have a special talent....Like a GZ....Tony Horne.....really outstanding punt coverages that often block punts....I don't see the big difference....unless, you have a terrible ST...like a kicker like Ficker...missing easy stuff.

Case in point.....Tennessee's ST kicked our asses....in almost every category they outshined Bones unit...and guess what? They still lost...no real effect. If you are terrible at ST's...missing kicks....having returns for TD's against...just out and out terrible, they can effect the game......Otherwise, they don't really effect a game...they make it more difficult, but can't change the game enough to effect wins and losses.

On every team....ST's are pretty much a balancing act...everyone has similar players...backups....I'd rather have ST's players with defined roles...like, even if your a gunner, be a nice backup at your primary position.....I've watched Jackie Slaters son at NE for some time...He was a wr at UCLA...now he'a a ST ace...Still don't know what he does? He has/had some serious speed back in the day too....makes me wonder if he shoulda been a corner instead of a wr...he probably would play more.

The kicker is the most important...because all the others are interchangeable....from team to team....I bet most turnover year to year is on ST players....we wouldn't miss any one player...except GZ or Hekker....and we only missed GZ because of the missed EASY FG's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The reason is Tampa sucks
But they do have some talent on their team....some really good ones too....

Put a new coach there....they'll battle for a playoff spot...in a very tough division. Reminds me of the NFC West a few years back.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
But they do have some talent on their team....some really good ones too....

Put a new coach there....they'll battle for a playoff spot...in a very tough division. Reminds me of the NFC West a few years back.
Yeah, but taking a kick in the 2nd round is stupider than Cleveland. Or should I say Cleveland Stupid

nighttrain

Legend
Seriously...I got kids to raise....

Actually, I know very little about kickers...I know that guy the Pats have...that went to the Colts is damn good and beat us in the SB.

I also know, ST is not very important.....unless you have a terrible kicker.
wow, this is in some other universe.. I mean Field Position is not important, yikes:shocked:
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I mean Field Position is not important, yikes
Not to top ranked offenses and defenses train....look at how we handled Tennessee....and they are in the playoff hunt...at home...and still....pretty easy win if you ask me....Now you don't wanna do that with another solid team...like the Pats...or Vikes...but on average, a good defense can overcome poor ST's play....so can a great offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah, but taking a kick in the 2nd round is stupider than Cleveland
As soon as I heard that pick....I KNEW, GM about to get fired....

But many of those players are solid....DB's....LB's.....and I like several players on their offensive line. Of course I like Winston...TE....WR....bet they'll draft a RB this time....they're pretty set.....except for kicker...LOLOL

nighttrain

Legend
Not to top ranked offenses and defenses train....look at how we handled Tennessee....and they are in the playoff hunt...at home...and still....pretty easy win if you ask me....Now you don't wanna do that with another solid team...like the Pats...or Vikes...but on average, a good defense can overcome poor ST's play....so can a great offense.
OK, but Tenn. played us like it was their SB. Off the charts emotionaly. I love how Cooper lights it up on KO's and c'mon man, Hekker and Zuerlein make life easier for the Rams in many ways, including scoring
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OK, but Tenn. played us like it was their SB. Off the charts emotionaly. I love how Cooper lights it up on KO's and c'mon man, Hekker and Zuerlein make life easier for the Rams in many ways, including scoring
It was their SB....that's playoff atmosphere baby! Gotta love it....

Cooper...the Pharoh...is a bad man! and that's bad as in GOOD for those that don't know....

Zuerlein is like a crutch....and now without him....a bunch in here are nervous....especially me...we now HAVE to find a way to convert those red zone opportunities...into TD's. Have to.

Even with Hekker's booming kicks...Coopers returns....GZ's money kicks....blocked punts changed the outcome of games more...In my opinion...Cooper's stuff comes close....FG's sometimes give teams hope. Punting is punting....

nighttrain

Legend
It was their SB....that's playoff atmosphere baby! Gotta love it....

Cooper...the Pharoh...is a bad man! and that's bad as in GOOD for those that don't know....

Zuerlein is like a crutch....and now without him....a bunch in here are nervous....especially me...we now HAVE to find a way to convert those red zone opportunities...into TD's. Have to.

Even with Hekker's booming kicks...Coopers returns....GZ's money kicks....blocked punts changed the outcome of games more...In my opinion...Cooper's stuff comes close....FG's sometimes give teams hope. Punting is punting....
OK, but blocked punts are a credit to special teams. It seems to me you agree, but don't want to say so
train

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I don't think Fick did that bad, actually. Sure his first PAT hooked bad, the missed FG bounced off the upright, then he did fine the rest. TEN had a couple KOR's out to the 30's and one longer one to mid-field, but that's on our full ST's team - I think on that kick, Fick sent it past the goal line. It's not impossible that TEN actually has a decent ST's unit, they corralled Pharaoh pretty well.
Consider too that this is basically Fick's pre-season. He had maybe a few days practicing w/ McQuaide & Hekk. Kicking in a hostile environment, in bad weather, with a hell-bent-for-a-win TEN team throwing everything they can at you.... I think the kid did pretty good actually. I have no idea why you guys say he looked shaky. Kicking in LA will help him get stronger. If we have a game where it all comes down to a last second FG attempt, and he misses, it'll be because we're down by 3 - that's on the rest of the team not to put him in that position. Great if he makes it. If he doesn't?? you know what, our kicker was IR'd in game #15. Would you rather have lost Legatron, or Goff? or Gurley? I'd rather lose Legatron than Whitworth. PHI lost their MVP quarterback for cryin out loud. So did HOU earlier this season. We're lucky to have Fick as our kicker & not Shaun Hill as our QB. I think he'll do fine - I can tell he wants it more than Aguayo or any of the other guys available. Sometimes if you just get the right guy, in time, he'll get stronger.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Consider too that this is basically Fick's pre-season. He had maybe a few days practicing w/ McQuaide & Hekk. Kicking in a hostile environment, in bad weather, with a hell-bent-for-a-win TEN team throwing everything they can at you.... I think the kid did pretty good actually. I have no idea why you guys say he looked shaky.

People think he looked shaky because he cost us 7 points in the first half. McVay opted to punt vice kicking the long FG, then he missed an extra point, followed by a missed FG of easy range. The fact he bounced back in the second half is what saved his job, but make no mistake the dude is on the hotseat.

Right now the impact on the Rams is profound. We have a completely different strategy outside the redzone now, where the Rams will be going for it or punting which means reduced FG attempts that in light of the dropoff from GZ to Fickens is somewhere on the order of probably two or three FGs a game.

Losing GZ is like reducing our scoring offense by 7 points, give or take. Again, it's profound. Rams are still a top contender, but pretending like Fickens can do the job is fantasy right now, because he's going to have to prove that after a very shaky start.