Vic Carucci's Take Five: Bills must get physical with Rams immediately

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Vic Carruci
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/1...ive-bills-must-get-physical-rams-immediately/

Screen-Shot-2016-10-03-at-7.16.45-PM.png

Here are my five takes on the Buffalo Bills' game against the Los Angeles Rams Sunday at the L.A. Coliseum:

1. Get physical right away. The Rams' greatest strength is their defensive line. Besides their Pro Bowlers, tackle Aaron Donald and end Robert Quinn, they're equally solid with tackle Michael Brockers, end William Hayes and the fifth man in their rotation, Eugene Sims.

Just as it did on Sept. 25 against Arizona, the Bills' offense must come out with the intention of imposing its will with a strong running game. Center Eric Wood and guards Richie Incognito and John Miller must immediately establish the ability to get a strong push to allow LeSean McCoy and Mike Gillislee find openings between the tackles.

With a persistent ground attack, the Bills are capable of wearing down the Rams' front. It will also open the door to some play-action throws and help the Bills establish the quick-rhythm passing attack that was so effective in last Sunday's victory at New England.

2. Another week, another opponent the defense can dominate. In so many ways, it's hard to figure out how in the heck the Rams are 3-1 and leading the NFC West.

Their supposed best offensive player and last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year, running back Todd Gurley, has consistently found nowhere to run and has yet to crack 100 rushing yards. Their quarterback, Case Keenum, throws a whole lot of short passes, only making the fact top overall pick Jared Goff can't see the field even more of a concern.

Consider the following: The Rams beat Arizona, 17-13, last Sunday despite having 12 first downs to the Cardinals' 26 and running 55 plays to the Cardinals' 75.

The Bills are stout enough up front not to allow Gurley to have his first strong performance of the season, especially with tackle Marcell Dareus returning from his four-game suspension with presumably fresh legs. And that should help them give Keenum the Jacoby Brissett treatment, attacking him with relentless pressure.

3. Take advantage of weak cornerbacks. With Sammy Watkins on the injured-reserve list, the Bills don't have much in the way of tremendous talent at wide receiver. But as they proved against the Patriots, the players they have at the position -- especially Robert Woods and Walter Powell -- are good enough to have success when operating with a sound game plan and when Tyrod Taylor has consistently strong pass protection.

Keeping Taylor upright and able to function as effectively from the pocket as he did last Sunday will be a challenge against the Rams' pass-rushers. However, the Rams' cornerbacks are vulnerable, so look for the Bills to try to work them over with a combination of short, intermediate and long throws.

Expect Taylor to again take a few early deep shots to Marquise Goodwin. Taylor just has to avoid misfiring on them as he did at Foxborough, Mass. The Bills also should be able to get more than a few favorable matchups for tight end Charles Clay and running back LeSean McCoy.

4. Stay as disciplined as possible. The Bills weren't happy with their six penalties against New England for 60 yards. However, the Patriots were uncharacteristically flagged a whopping nine times for 74 yards.

In their victory against the Cardinals, the Rams were the ones with nine penalties, for 84 yards, while Arizona had six penalties for 45 yards.

Given their physical, sometimes chippy style of play, the Rams are prone to drawing yellow flags. The Bills have a tendency to lead with their emotions -- as they demonstrated once again with last Sunday's altercation between Buffalo and New England players during pregame warm-ups -- but they need to keep them under control and let the Rams self-destruct with penalties.

5. Match the Rams' resilience. The common thread through the Rams' surprising start is the ability to win close games. Their defense keeps teams out of the end zone and their offense capitalizes on opponents' mistakes that the defense forces.

The Bills have to stay strong mentally and avoid frustration if they aren't able to find success offensively. The Rams count on their ability to do the right thing at the right time, while the other team is lulled into a false sense of security.

The Bills have to be smart, with decision-making by players, and especially with play-calling and clock management. Those are usually the determining factors in close outcomes.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Load up the box and make Taylor beat you. Get after McCoy and make them throw the ball. I like the blitzes with Mo or Joyner off the edge. They just have to rush with discipline like its Wilson or Kaep and they should get some good heat on Taylor. The crowd noise should be that little edge to make it hard for Buffalo to get going on offense. Just need to limit the big plays to keep the crowd involved. I know I'll be lubed up and happy to make noise for a winning squad at home!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol weak cornerback play i hope they keep thinking that. We might get that pick 6. This defense is playing with a lot of momentum and thats dangerous when facing us.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lol weak cornerback play i hope they keep thinking that. We might get that pick 6. This defense is playing with a lot of momentum and thats dangerous when facing us.
Yeah, that was a head scratcher. This "Weak" secondary could have had 5 picks last week. Tru almost had 3 his DAMN self.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Teams are fairly similar.
Should be a fun game.

I wish or cb's weren't terrible.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I expect this to be a knock-down street fight with a bunch of chirping by both teams. It would be great to see our running game get on track this weekend. Our O-Line needs to go out and punch them right in the mouth on the first series and not let up. I could see the final score similar to the seahacks game. I did see a stat stating when I team wins by a shut-out they lose the next week.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I expect this to be a knock-down street fight with a bunch of chirping by both teams. It would be great to see our running game get on track this weekend. Our O-Line needs to go out and punch them right in the mouth on the first series and not let up. I could see the final score similar to the seahacks game. I did see a stat stating when I team wins by a shut-out they lose the next week.
I agree.
The Bills resemble the other teams in our division. Including us.
We seem to play pretty well against them.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Weak secondary . I was done reading after that Can't wait to beat these guys. It won't be easy but I hope they are thinking like this writer is

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Weak secondary . I was done reading after that Can't wait to beat these guys. It won't be easy but I hope they are thinking like this writer is

You know Rex sees the real game film and knows the Rams stats are a bit deceiving.. As you know, most of these beat writers do little in-depth research outside of the obvious things on the surface.

Rex will have the Bills ready and they will not take anything for granted vs our 3-1 Rams. This game has thriller written all over it and like the last 3 games many of us don't have any finger nails left to bite.

A few weeks ago I was hoping the Bills wouldn't be such a strong opponent but that hope was out the window after their last 2 victories.

Being a fan of the 2016 Rams is not for the weak. With each passing day this game vs the Bills is becoming another anxiety burst of nervous adrenaline.

By the time kickoff gets here you can sign me up for another full jar off butterflies in the stomach.

tumblr_mmpfaaHGUx1rha2mno1_500.gif

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Thought Carucci was a national columnist.
Didn't know he was from Buffalo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did see a stat stating when I team wins by a shut-out they lose the next week.

Except when you're the 2014 rams who went on to beat the skins by 24 points to nil. Then they played horribly and lost the week after that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Except when you're the 2014 rams who went on to beat the skins by 24 points to nil. Then they played horribly and lost the week after that.

Well, they also beat a team 52-0 a week before that 24-0 game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The last time that Fisher coached against blowhard Rex, the Rams lost in an embarrassing fashion at home in a game most expected them to win.. I hope Fisher has that fresh in his mind and has some answers for how to beat Red's Bills this Sunday.

I recall the last time, Rex said that they don't fear the Rams receivers. So they focused on stopping the run and pressuring the QB. He doesn't have Regis anymore, but I still don't know why he would fear this group of receivers, so he will likely use the same attacking strategy in this game. Our defense better be on its toes all game. Speedy outside runners the caliber of McCoy have been a problem in the last few years. Throw in a fast mobile QB and this game could be over early.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Stopped reading at the weak CBs part. I really don't mind reading articles that don't simply tell me what I want to hear about the Rams as a fan. I'm grown up enough to deal with that. However, I expect those articles to at least be factually accurate.

Tru had 6 (yes 6!) passes defended on Sunday. He has 9 overall. The league leader (Marcus Peters) has 12 and Tru got half that amount in one game against a Cards receiving corps where at least 3 of them would walk straight into the Bills line up ahead of their current number one (whoever the hell that is with Watkins on IR). He is something like second in interceptions since he came into the league.

EJ Gaines played in his first game since the 2014 season and was excellent. If I remember rightly, he was one of the Rams' top 5 rated players on defence in week 4 according to PFF (I know, I know). In 2014, when he was fully healthy, he was arguably our best CB (ahead of Tru and with JJ still on the team at that point).

Plus helping out our "weak" CBs is one of the best D lines in the entire league led by the best defensive player in the entire league if not the best player overall (PFF, for all their faults, absolutely love Aaron Donald and consider him the best player outright).

Articles like this wind me up. I was a little worried about the Bills game but now I just want to see Tyrod Taylor develop PTSD after his run in with the mob squad.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

I guess that was what I was trying to explain. When a team wins by a shut-out and then play the next week they end up losing. I don't think I stated my thought very clear. My Bad! :hiding:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1. Get physical right away. The Rams' greatest strength is their defensive line. Besides their Pro Bowlers, tackle Aaron Donald and end Robert Quinn, they're equally solid with tackle Michael Brockers, end William Hayes and the fifth man in their rotation, Eugene Sims.

Just as it did on Sept. 25 against Arizona, the Bills' offense must come out with the intention of imposing its will with a strong running game. Center Eric Wood and guards Richie Incognito and John Miller must immediately establish the ability to get a strong push to allow LeSean McCoy and Mike Gillislee find openings between the tackles.

With a persistent ground attack, the Bills are capable of wearing down the Rams' front. It will also open the door to some play-action throws and help the Bills establish the quick-rhythm passing attack that was so effective in last Sunday's victory at New England.
This sounds like the Exact Plan of attack the Rams will use on the Bills!!:mrburnsevil:
the Rams' cornerbacks are vulnerable,
This is pure BS!
2. Another week, another opponent the defense can dominate. In so many ways, it's hard to figure out how in the heck the Rams are 3-1 and leading the NFC West.
They will learn the answer to this question, on Sunday, in front of 90000+ Screaming Rams Fans!!(y);):D

After reading all of this I'm convinced the write will be,:cry:! after the game!:rimshot: