Urban Meyer is "Unhinged"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cannot put up with a premiere football program going to the bull shit gimmicy spread type offense. They have acces to the best talent and should be able to power over most teams. Should be competing for championships. With pro style offense and D. Not barely making it to the cooking bowl or what ever.
They all run the spread. No program more premiere than Alabama and they sure run it

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
tumblr_b8429955ab66125f31885f2114de9662_461bd207_400.gif

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Seattle actually had a relatively good first half with six yards. That means they had -13 yards in the 2nd half.

Also remember that game. 1979 was such a tough season for the Rams, with a ton of injuries. Yet, that was their Super Bowl season after years of being really good but coming-up short ... NFC Championship Game losses in 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1978. They got their butts kicked at home in '75 and '78 by the Cowboys but (just my opinion) they were better than the Vikings in '74 and '76 ... both in MN and close, brutal losses.

Tano

Legend
I disagree about him being a good coach. For starters he’s not likable. He’s a great recruiter and can talk any kid into believing Urban will put them in the NFL. His offense was so reliant on having a running QB. Many teams have caught up to it by now. It was very bland.

His record was good and his recruiting was off the charts. When the Reggie Bush thing blew up in his face, and we all found out how he and the boosters lured so many great players, Pete bailed to Seattle and came out as clean as a whistle. But the part that people didn’t see was that he also lost control of that team. His coaching style of empowerment that is low on discipline doesn’t work for extended periods in college football. Kids need a coach not a cheerleader. You can’t just be these guys buddies.

A similar thing happened in Seattle when Sherman and the LOB were not happy about Russell having Pete’s ear. “But, but, coach said that we are all equals and he loves each one of us the same.” The buddy buddy thing can actually work to some degree when dealing with grown ups. Mutual respect and love is a great motivator for big egos.
Sorry but this is so wrong.

As I stated in another thread, USC was NOT found guilty of recruiting violations.

They were guilty of not keeping track of what their players were doing on the team.

They let them have free reign on campus and allowed agents on the football field during games.

As to Bush, he did it on his own with an agent and got a home for his parents in Lake Elsinore which was 3 hours away. Supposedly the running backs coach found out but there was no actual evidence that he knew. And the running backs coach took the NCAA to court as he was fired for this claim but the NCAA settled out of court with the running backs coach.

However - Yes it was out of control and they deserved some punishment.

I just felt the penalties were too harsh for the crime.

I believe recruiting violations should get the biggest punishments not for being lackadaisical in their monitoring of the students.

Tano

Legend
Seattle actually had a relatively good first half with six yards. That means they had -13 yards in the 2nd half.

Also remember that game. 1979 was such a tough season for the Rams, with a ton of injuries. Yet, that was their Super Bowl season after years of being really good but coming-up short ... NFC Championship Game losses in 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1978. They got their butts kicked at home in '75 and '78 by the Cowboys but (just my opinion) they were better than the Vikings in '74 and '76 ... both in MN and close, brutal losses.
77 was the toughest year for that playoff game.

The Rams were at their best that year and were favored to win in the playoffs since they had home field advantage.

And the one year that they had home field advantage against Minnesota, it rained so hard in LA that day.

The field was soaked and became muddy after the first couple series and no one could pass. This game was termed the "Mud Bowl".

Minnesota got a TD on their first drive and then it was just nothing after that. The Rams lost 14-7. I just remember that first drive.

Not sure how Minnesota got their second TD.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
77 was the toughest year for that playoff game.

The Rams were at their best that year and were favored to win in the playoffs since they had home field advantage.

And the one year that they had home field advantage against Minnesota, it rained so hard in LA that day.

The field was soaked and became muddy after the first couple series and no one could pass. This game was termed the "Mud Bowl".

Minnesota got a TD on their first drive and then it was just nothing after that. The Rams lost 14-7. I just remember that first drive.

Not sure how Minnesota got their second TD.
I mostly agree.

That was a hugely disappointing loss but it was in the Divisional Round, and MN went with Bob Lee at QB for the injured Tarkenton. Lee had about five completions for the game. The rain/field were awful but the Rams played like crap.

Vikings then got spanked the following week by Dallas.

The Rams had some terrific teams in the '70s but put up some weak playoff efforts ... '77 Divisional Round and the '75 and '78 NFC Championship games were the most disappointing in my opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sorry but this is so wrong.

As I stated in another thread, USC was NOT found guilty of recruiting violations.

They were guilty of not keeping track of what their players were doing on the team.

They let them have free reign on campus and allowed agents on the football field during games.

As to Bush, he did it on his own with an agent and got a home for his parents in Lake Elsinore which was 3 hours away. Supposedly the running backs coach found out but there was no actual evidence that he knew. And the running backs coach took the NCAA to court as he was fired for this claim but the NCAA settled out of court with the running backs coach.

However - Yes it was out of control and they deserved some punishment.

I just felt the penalties were too harsh for the crime.

I believe recruiting violations should get the biggest punishments not for being lackadaisical in their monitoring of the students.
The busses with the girls one for each recruit? Money handed out? All of that was proven false? Or just no evidence?

Tano

Legend
The busses with the girls one for each recruit? Money handed out? All of that was proven false? Or just no evidence?
What buses - what girls - that was not in the violations listed.

The only thing really pointed out by the NCAA was that USC had lost control of their players.

I forgot what they called it.

But they did not list any recruiting violations.

Following is a paragraph that compared USCs sanctions to Oregon and Miami recruiting violations. USC had ZERO recruiting violations.

Further criticism of the sanctions came during later NCAA's investigations into other programs such as[14] the University of Miami and University of Oregon[15] for recruiting violations, all of which led to substantially more lenient punishments than USC's for arguably greater offenses. This has led many people to think that the NCAA's sanctions of USC were intended to make an example out of the school to other programs that the NCAA hasn't followed through on with other college programs.[16]

Most notable of these scandals was that against Miami, because of the involvement of Paul Dee. Dee was the Committee on Infractions chairman for USC's NCAA investigation. It was Dee who announced the USC penalties and closed with the reminder that "high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance." Accusations later came out that, while Dee was athletic director there, Miami had also been the center of major improper benefits, specifically that of university booster Nevin Shapiro from 2002 until 2010. Writers noted the hypocrisy of Miami's more lenient punishment (loss of nine scholarships and three years) compared to USC's, despite Miami committing more serious infractions through university employees over a longer time. One writer stated: "it seems only fair [Dee] should spend a day at USC's Heritage Hall wearing a sandwich board with the word "Hypocrite."[17][18]

In 2014, USC's sanctions once again became a talking point because of the Penn State child sex abuse scandal. Sanctions against Penn State, which included a four-year bowl ban and forty lost scholarships, were significantly reduced after two years. USC petitioned the NCAA for similar leniency but was denied, the NCAA finding the situations to be distinguishable.[19] This incident led to more outcry over the inconsistency of punishment by the NCAA, and its seeming bias against USC.[20]

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Urban Meyer had so many problem children at Florida. One of them, Jamar Hornsby, was memorable for stealing and using the credit card that he stole off a dead woman.

I'm sorry, I like Trevor Lawrence, but I really, really hope that Meyer crashes and burns.