Updated: Sheldon Rankins carted off with leg injury, will not return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It’s going to be a close and enjoyable game. If it comes down to a final fg with :01 left, with the kick scoring the deciding 1 pt, I wouldn’t be shocked. It’s going to be enjoyable and tight.

But make no bones about it, whoever wins this game is going to win the Lombardi, and hey, guess what? It’s okay. As long as neither the Falcons, 49ers, or Cowboys are winning the Super Bowl all is right with the world.
You forgot to include the Seahawks and Patriots

And if the Patriots somehow make it past the Chiefs, then I want either the Rams or NO (if heaven forbid the Rams lose to NO) to absolutely smoke the Patriots. Run up the score. 70 to 0. Destroy those cheaters.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-surgery-on-broken-hand-after-regular-season/

Saints offensive lineman Peat had surgery on broken hand after regular season
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2019

Saints offensive lineman Andrus Peat didn’t have one of his best games yesterday.

There may have been a reason for it.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Peat had suffered a broken hand in the regular season finale against the Panthers, and had surgery during the bye week before the playoffs.

While that obviously had him in considerable pain, his play was obviously not up to his previous standard, and put the Saints in some bad situations. He played every snap, but was penalized four times, including a holding call which wiped out an Alvin Kamara touchdown.

Peat was at left guard yesterday, but the former first-rounder has filled in at tackle as the Saints have dealt with injuries.

While he’s obviously one of their five best options up front when he’s well, his play yesterday suggested that he’s not. And with the Rams rolling into town in a week with Aaron Donald and also some other guy named Ndamukong Suh, Peat’s status will be a significant concern.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-surgery-on-broken-hand-after-regular-season/

Saints offensive lineman Peat had surgery on broken hand after regular season
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2019

Saints offensive lineman Andrus Peat didn’t have one of his best games yesterday.

There may have been a reason for it.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Peat had suffered a broken hand in the regular season finale against the Panthers, and had surgery during the bye week before the playoffs.

While that obviously had him in considerable pain, his play was obviously not up to his previous standard, and put the Saints in some bad situations. He played every snap, but was penalized four times, including a holding call which wiped out an Alvin Kamara touchdown.

Peat was at left guard yesterday, but the former first-rounder has filled in at tackle as the Saints have dealt with injuries.

While he’s obviously one of their five best options up front when he’s well, his play yesterday suggested that he’s not. And with the Rams rolling into town in a week we ith Aaron Donald and also some other guy named Ndamukong Suh, Peat’s status will be a significant concern.
Sorry to hear he had surgery. Maybe he should take the next game/rest of the year off? However I’m ok with him playing ineffectively instead.

Problems on both sides of the line for the Saints. It’s too bad.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Rankins is a top 10 DT, but we have David Onyemata, and he is top 12.

The run game will be fine. Remember, while the Eagles aren’t the Rams, the Saints still shut down that run game.

Nobody said the saints would crumble but it's a huge loss run stuffer and pass rusher and if you think Onyemata is a top 12 your truly delusional. He may not make top 20. He is a decent player but Rankins does it all. At no time did I say the saints defense is going to fall apart even if cam Jordan was missing I wouldn't say their defense will fall apart nevertheless it hurts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody said the saints would crumble but it's a huge loss run stuffer and pass rusher and if you think Onyemata is a top 12 your truly delusional. He may not make top 20. He is a decent player but Rankins does it all. At no time did I say the saints defense is going to fall apart even if cam Jordan was missing I wouldn't say their defense will fall apart nevertheless it hurts.

He's definitely not a top 20 DT.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
You are missing the point.

The point isn’t that “we shut down the Eagles run game”, that’s like bragging about an in his prime Mike Tyson knocking out Pee Wee Herman.

The point is the Saints lost Rankins early in the game, and continued playing defense as usual.

In all honesty that specific game was more the Eagles blowing it than the saints playing amazing football and to compare the Eagles run game with the Rams is idiotic (no offense) and what you failed to mention is the Eagles lost Brandon Brooks and other offensive lineman were dropping like flys as well

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
In all honesty that specific game was more the Eagles blowing it than the saints playing amazing football and to compare the Eagles run game with the Rams is idiotic (no offense) and what you failed to mention is the Eagles lost Brandon Brooks and other offensive lineman were dropping like flys as well

I didn’t mention any of that because that is besides the point. The point is, Eagles, Cowboys, Rams, University if Alabama, Brondon Brooks being out, Sheldon Rankins being out, whatever, the Saints have the #1 run defense in the NFL for a reason. The Cowboys have a great defense, but they don’t have the top run defense.

Depending on how much stock you put into PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/sheldon-rankins/10646

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/david-onyemata/10754

Stallworth was blowing Kelce off the ball. He isn’t Sheldon Rankins, but he is massive enough to make a pro bowl centers life a living hell. We will be okay.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I didn’t mention any of that because that is besides the point. The point is, Eagles, Cowboys, Rams, University if Alabama, Brondon Brooks being out, Sheldon Rankins being out, whatever, the Saints have the #1 run defense in the NFL for a reason. The Cowboys have a great defense, but they don’t have the top run defense.

Stallworth was blowing Kelce off the ball. He isn’t Sheldon Rankins, but he is massive enough to make a pro bowl centers life a living hell. We will be okay.

Unfortunately this is the NFC championship game taking one team to the super bowl so both teams have to be better than ok. I think it hurts and you keep mentioning only the run stuffing but you don't mention pressure Rankins provides up the middle as well which is qb's worst nightmare.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Saints don't have the #1 run defense. They're #2. Meanwhile, the Cowboys were the #5 run defense and got steamrolled by our #3 rushing attack. And your #2 run defense just lost one of its best players. Of course, Todd Gurley averaged 5 yards per carry earlier in the year against your #2 run defense. Basically, it's a strength vs. strength matchup, and I think the Rams will hold their own.

As for your question about PFF, I put no stock in their grades. They aren't useful. Finally, on the topic of Stallworth, what makes Jason Kelce special is his athleticism, ability to block in space, and technical prowess. He's always been undersized and able to be pushed around by large NTs. Sullivan, our Center, is a much bigger guy. Kelce is listed at 295 but plays more in the 280 to 285 range. Sullivan is listed at 312 and plays around that size.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No 2018 Defense, #1 to #32 has faced this Ram's running attack except the Cowboys....The Saints don't know if they can hold up to the pressure. I don't think they can.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Unfortunately this is the NFC championship game taking one team to the super bowl so both teams have to be better than ok. I think it hurts and you keep mentioning only the run stuffing but you don't mention pressure Rankins provides up the middle as well which is qb's worst nightmare.

I think you aren’t appreciating the strength of the Saints defensive line as a unit, and are focusing solely on the individual parts.

The thing that is great about Ryan Nielsen (that wasn’t great about Bill Johnson) was that Nielsen has those guys up front playing as a complete unit as opposed to individually (like Johnson has them playing), because of that you have outstanding performance by Rankins, Jordan, and Onyemata being overshadowed by the collective body. Every week someone was stepping up (Davenport, Okafor, Davison, Stallworth). We lost Rankins, but the machine won’t stop because it’s a machine.

I didn’t realize we were the 2nd ranked run defense. I couldn’t tell you when that happened, but the difference between the Bears and Saints is .6 yards.

It’s going to be interesting to see if you guys abandon the run early again, or if you stick with it.

Are you guys going to let Talib travel with Michael Thomas? I ask because I heard Marcus Peters interview today, and that guy already sounds defeated.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I think you aren’t appreciating the strength of the Saints defensive line as a unit, and are focusing solely on the individual parts.

The thing that is great about Ryan Nielsen (that wasn’t great about Bill Johnson) was that Nielsen has those guys up front playing as a complete unit as opposed to individually (like Johnson has them playing), because of that you have outstanding performance by Rankins, Jordan, and Onyemata being overshadowed by the collective body. Every week someone was stepping up (Davenport, Okafor, Davison, Stallworth). We lost Rankins, but the machine won’t stop because it’s a machine.

I didn’t realize we were the 2nd ranked run defense. I couldn’t tell you when that happened, but the difference between the Bears and Saints is .6 yards.

It’s going to be interesting to see if you guys abandon the run early again, or if you stick with it.

Are you guys going to let Talib travel with Michael Thomas? I ask because I heard Marcus Peters interview today, and that guy already sounds defeated.

Seems like your taking the loss of Rankins and the comments personally. You make the saints defens sound like the 85 bears. Numbers don't always tell the stort the saints are indeed a great team but go back and look at there games and the backs they face and I'm going to venture and say that probably one or two backs carried the ball 20 or more times in any one game vs the saints not to mention most times the saints were blowing out a lot of opens which leads to minimal rush attempts by the opposition there by skewing the numbers. When Rams played the saints Gurley average over 5 yards a carry on what 16 carries and we passed a whole bunch trying to catch up. One final thought also is most teams pass against the saints because it is the weaker of the two. So undeniably the saints are a great all around team but "team" is the key word and Rankins is a big part of that team. Let's jus agree to disagree and may the best team win on Sunday.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
You must be referring to an old interview, possibly the interview about seeing your coach again? That interview came after our early game against you guys. I don't recall seeing anything recent. Was it today?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You will see us bring up T-Rex (Trey Hendrickson) who doubles as a DE/DT. He has been riding the bench, but he has proven useful in his limited snaps.

We cut a lot of guys on the dline (in the pre-season) who were picked up and are now starting or playing major minutes in the NFL. The Saints in their wisdom kept T-Rex. Let’s see how this plays out.
Trey Hendrickson looks like an edge player, not an interior DL'er? Appears to be seriously lacking some thickness listed @ 6-4/254 lbs.
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/30507/

You do have two rookie DL'ers on your PS who might help out in your rotation with the interior DL'ers Tomasi Laulile & Henry Mondeaux. Both are UDFA's who have been WWC's.

Bottom line your Saints interior DL is sure to get gas before the game is over.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Trey Hendrickson looks like an edge player, not an interior DL'er? Appears to be seriously lacking some thickness listed @ 6-4/254 lbs.
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/30507/

You do have two rookie DL'ers on your PS who might help out in your rotation with the interior DL'ers Tomasi Laulile & Henry Mondeaux. Both are UDFA's who have been WWC's.

Bottom line your Saints interior DL is sure to get gas before the game is over.
T-Rex goes both in and out. Cam Jordan does as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mondeaux get called up, but at the end of the day it’s all about keeping guys fresh, and having a healthy rotation. If we suffer another injury we are probably screwed, but as is, we can McGyver this thing.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
You must be referring to an old interview, possibly the interview about seeing your coach again? That interview came after our early game against you guys. I don't recall seeing anything recent. Was it today?

My bad, it was the old interview. NFLN, ESPN, and media outlets are replaying that as if it were something he said in recent days.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

You're incredibly delusional.Gurley and Anderson will steamroll saints front 7.Plus the loss of All-Pro Sheldon Rankins, this week in particular i.e. Donald+Suh+Brockers trifecta = a devastating blow to the Saints

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This game is going to turn on the performance of the Rams defense. Do they play like they have in the last few games, or do they play like they did through most of the season. It's really the most unknown part of this matchup.

In the midseason matchup we fell behind right out the gate because our secondary couldn't cover Rosanne Barr. We didn't tackle well either. The current Rams offense isn't capable of coming back from a big deficit (no Kupp and yes he's that important to us) IMO, but they are actually more capable of rolling the Saints' defense on the ground in a close game.

It really is a game that could go any way. But I suspect it'll be a sub 30 points on each side game, which will be a surprise to many. I also think it'll be close and a great conference finish so whatever happens I'm lookin forward to it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
the Saints have the #1 run defense in the NFL for a reason. The Cowboys have a great defense, but they don’t have the top run defense.
It happens when a team like the Aints get up early on other teams. That is not a criticism of the team but the reality of how run defenses can be falsely ranked. Teams that have to come back from a couple of TDs down, do it by passing, not running. That said, the Aints pass defense isn't as low as their rankings either. They are a well rounded team and will be a tough match up for anyone.

The Aints had the fourth fewest rush attempts against that D and the 11th most passing attempts along with fourth most yards passing against.