Updated: Sheldon Rankins carted off with leg injury, will not return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disaster struck the New Orleans Saints early against the Philadelphia Eagles. Starting defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins went down with a leg injury and medical trainers immediately brought out a cart to take him to the locker room for further evaluation.

This loss can’t be understated for the Saints. Rankins was the Saints’ second-best pass rusher, logging eight sacks in the regular season, and was a rock in run defense. He’s also been a pillar for team morale. Without Rankins, the Saints will lean on third-year backup David Onyemata.

Trainers were focused on examining Rankins’ left leg. It’s worth noting that his 2016 rookie season was derailed by a broken fibula in his left leg training camp, which required surgery. He hasn’t had issues since that incident but there’s a chance that this is related.

Update: FOX sideline reporter Pam Oliver reported that the Saints medical staff were performing X-rays on Rankins’ ankle, not his fibula. The Saints announced that he would not return with a leg injury.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saints...ew-orleans-saints-sheldon-rankins-injury/amp/

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Disaster struck the New Orleans Saints early against the Philadelphia Eagles. Starting defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins went down with a leg injury and medical trainers immediately brought out a cart to take him to the locker room for further evaluation.

This loss can’t be understated for the Saints. Rankins was the Saints’ second-best pass rusher, logging eight sacks in the regular season, and was a rock in run defense. He’s also been a pillar for team morale. Without Rankins, the Saints will lean on third-year backup David Onyemata.

Trainers were focused on examining Rankins’ left leg. It’s worth noting that his 2016 rookie season was derailed by a broken fibula in his left leg training camp, which required surgery. He hasn’t had issues since that incident but there’s a chance that this is related.

Update: FOX sideline reporter Pam Oliver reported that the Saints medical staff were performing X-rays on Rankins’ ankle, not his fibula. The Saints announced that he would not return with a leg injury.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saints...ew-orleans-saints-sheldon-rankins-injury/amp/
Early report was they feared a torn achilles. I know Rankins is a good player but can anyone fill us in on how important his apparent loss might be for the Saints?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Sucks he's injured but let's take advantage of this opportunity to run Gurley and Anderson down their throats next week.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
It hurts us. He is a top ten DT, and he is a force in the run defense. His replacement isn’t horrible, but Stallworth is no Rankins.

It will have a big impact, but Dennis Allen will have it figured out.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Could be the difference in who wins. He makes that much of an impact.
Cam Jordan is the straw that stirs the drink, but Rankins draws double teams for a reason. Stallworth will be fine, but I hope he can return.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It will have a big impact, but Dennis Allen will have it figured out.

Dennis Allen is no genius, he's a good DC but he's not going to be able to easily replace a guy like Rankins. Hopefully the injury's not serious, but we'll have to wait and see.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Early report was they feared a torn achilles. I know Rankins is a good player but can anyone fill us in on how important his apparent loss might be for the Saints?

He is a run stuff type of guy. Terrible loss for them.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Dennis Allen is no genius, he's a good DC but he's not going to be able to easily replace a guy like Rankins. Hopefully the injury's not serious, but we'll have to wait and see.
Oh, no doubt, and I hope I’m not giving off the impression that DA is Bill Belichick, but when it comes to adjustments, DA is surprisingly one of the better ones, and our DL coach (the one we threw off Bill Johnson for) has done and amazing job coaching up lessor talent. Giving them a week to work their magic...losing Rankins will such, but not as much.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Listen no one likes to see anyone get injured but trying to kid yourself into saying losing a top 10 DT who can pressure the qb and is excellent at stuffing the run when a team who just morphed into this dynamic duel power/finesse running back team is coming in who bull dozed a way better defense than the saints is fooling yourself. It won't dictate the out come but it certainly is extremely advantageous to the Rams and an older Sullivan and of course the Rams run game. ....I think most of us Rams fans know Peyton will try and force goff to win this game but with no real pressure up the middle hopefully goff can step up and it's do or die time we saw them legs last week start running when needed lol.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The Cowboys shut down Seattle's #1 rush offense last week. They came to LA and the Rams steamrolled them. I like the Rams chances.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think most of us Rams fans know Peyton will try and force goff to win this game but with no real pressure up the middle hopefully goff can step up and it's do or die time we saw them legs last week start running when needed lol.

It's interesting how it's gone back and forth on "how to stop the Rams offense." Early this year it was all about stuffing Gurley and the run game. Then after Goff raped and pillaged enough defenses it switched to deep safeties and making us take the underneath. And now? Well I gotta agree that after the Saints' staff watches that Dallas game it's gonna be back to selling out to stuff that run game.

I don't know if people outside of Rams fans realize how impressive CJ Anderson's play has been and what it's done for and to the Rams offense. This unit was struggling before he came aboard, but since then they have rolled every defense they've faced on the ground. He's changed our offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting how it's gone back and forth on "how to stop the Rams offense." Early this year it was all about stuffing Gurley and the run game. Then after Goff raped and pillaged enough defenses it switched to deep safeties and making us take the underneath. And now? Well I gotta agree that after the Saints' staff watches that Dallas game it's gonna be back to selling out to stuff that run game.

I don't know if people outside of Rams fans realize how impressive CJ Anderson's play has been and what it's done for and to the Rams offense. This unit was struggling before he came aboard, but since then they have rolled every defense they've faced on the ground. He's changed our offense.

Yep. The question was, "How will Sean McVay adjust to teams' adjustments to his scheme?" Well, teams adjusted by not selling out against the run and sitting back to prevent us from attacking deep. McVay has now made his move. If they want to sit back, he'll run it down their throats all day long.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Listen no one likes to see anyone get injured but trying to kid yourself into saying losing a top 10 DT who can pressure the qb and is excellent at stuffing the run when a team who just morphed into this dynamic duel power/finesse running back team is coming in who bull dozed a way better defense than the saints is fooling yourself. It won't dictate the out come but it certainly is extremely advantageous to the Rams and an older Sullivan and of course the Rams run game. ....I think most of us Rams fans know Peyton will try and force goff to win this game but with no real pressure up the middle hopefully goff can step up and it's do or die time we saw them legs last week start running when needed lol.

It's almost comparable to the Rams losing Brockers against Atlanta last year, but worse.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. The question was, "How will Sean McVay adjust to teams' adjustments to his scheme?" Well, teams adjusted by not selling out against the run and sitting back to prevent us from attacking deep. McVay has now made his move. If they want to sit back, he'll run it down their throats all day long.

This is why i was so happy after watching the Goff day video. The bears didn't have this impenetrable defense, the rams just weren't patient. Every time Goff made a bad throw downfield there was someone open underneath. They just needed to adjust their line of thinking.

And then they acquired cj Anderson. By the time the cards game came up the rams had fully adjusted to what other teams were doing to stop them passing deep. And the rams have been bending over every d they've faced since and ramming the full length of their sex pistol all game long.

Now the narrative will be go all out to stop the two monster rbs and make Goff beat you. Then there will be another Goff day video where it will be showing him clinically dissecting the secondary.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Rankins is a top 10 DT, but we have David Onyemata, and he is top 12.

The run game will be fine. Remember, while the Eagles aren’t the Rams, the Saints still shut down that run game.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rankins is a top 10 DT, but we have Davin Onyemata, and he is top 12.

The run game will be fine. Remember, while the Eagles aren’t the Rams, the Saints still shut down that run game.

Top 12 on the Saints?

The Cowboys fans thought they'd handle our running game too. They also had a top run defense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rankins is a top 10 DT, but we have Davin Onyemata, and he is top 12.

Like the cowboys d was gonna do?

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Like the cowboys d was gonna do?

I don’t know anything about the Cowboys (nor do I want to...that’s how you get AIDS).

We are talking about the injury to Rankins, Onyemata has been here all season, the Saints locked down the Eagles after that second td. The Saints defense will not crumble because we lost Rankins.