Upcoming QB Contracts for Tagovailoa, Prescott, and Lawrence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams need to extend Stafford just to get that cap number down.

The cowboys don't want to extend dak right now so they're gonna have to eat it.

Goff nowhere to be seen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Goff nowhere to be seen.
Big-$, long-term contracts are frequently structured to have manageable cap hits in the first couple seasons.

Per OTC, Goff’s cap hits (rounded) over the next five seasons are $27M, $32M, $70M, $55M and $62M.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Tua has shown professional growth. Dak IMO needs to go to a coach that believes in him and will design an offense that plays to his strengths. He's best in an offense that is built around quick short to intermediate passing. Where he isn't expected nor should he hold the ball. He isn't a gunslinger, either throw the ball on time, throw it away or run. He gets into trouble holding the ball trying to extend his reads. Dak would struggle in a McVay offense where both the QB and WR must read the secondary the same.

I put Dak pretty much on the same level as Jimmy G. Goff's problem in LA was schematic. That has been proven as he's now with a coach who has designed the offense to play to Jared's strengths. What is overlooked is that Stafford has similar breakdowns when confronted with pressure. Why people here give Stafford a pass and denigrate Goff is strange.

Stafford wants to extend his career because he sees the great OL that has been built and the strength and depth at WR and RB. McVay finally learned what I'd been advocating for a long time. He changed his run attack to be between the tackles and began to use gap blocking variants instead of strictly zone. The only problem I have with Stafford is his health. He hasn't shown he can stay healthy and that IMO will be the determining factor. He must play healthy this year if he wants to be extended but then each year will be year to year.
Regardless I think the writing is on the wall. Stafford will probably have only two more years max as the starter here. That is his SB window. The Ram's SB window will be wide open a lot longer than that.

I think they draft a rookie next year and either continue on with Stafford through 2025 or sign Jimmy G to a one year bridge contract. Regardless I don't see Matt beyond 2025 and he would have to stay healthy this year to get that year. This is why IMO they signed Jimmy G and it's why he signed to backup Stafford.

IMO the real question will be how long does McVay coach? McVay might pull the pin when Stafford leaves. That would set up Chris Shula as the logical replacement. I like Shula and think he will be a very good HC either here or elsewhere.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big-$, long-term contracts are frequently structured to have manageable cap hits in the first couple seasons.

Per OTC, Goff’s cap hits (rounded) over the next five seasons are $27M, $32M, $70M, $55M and $62M.

Yes, I understand that. That's why I said the Rams need to extend Stafford.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Stafford is going nowhere for at least three years.

He's a dog that plays through injuries. He has a goal of at least one more Super Bowl win and entry into the Hall of Fame after he retires. I think he's eligible now for the HOF, but that's not what he thinks and it drives him as a final goal. The Rams are not gonna dump an elite QB who has won them a Super Bowl and who has taken them to the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years. Matthew's arm talent is in the top five in the entire World and so no....Jimmy G is no replacement for him, whatsoever.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes, I understand that. That's why I said the Rams need to extend Stafford.

I know you get it but some fans think teams enter "Cap Hell" the day they sign a player to a long-term deal ... and, that's usually not the case at all.

How many times I have read a comment along the lines of ... "How can that team afford to sign that player!?!"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you get it but some fans think teams enter "Cap Hell" the day they sign a player to a long-term deal ... and, that's usually not the case at all.

How many times I have read a comment along the lines of ... "How can that team afford to sign that player!?!"

Yep, the whiners will still have purdy at a reasonable rate for a few years yet. And dirt cheap again this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay finally learned what I'd been advocating for a long time.

1716651143778.png

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
When you have a quarterback who isn't elite, but good enough to get you to the playoffs, you're kinda stuck. If you want to keep him you have to pay him elite money. If you don't you could be one of those teams stuck in quarterback purgatory. Because you could do worse than what you have.
Kind of a catch 22. You have to pay them but then you cant afford the talent needed around them that made it possible to perform at the level you are paying them for.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the cowgirls will pay Dak. Its like the second coming of tony romo.

I think they'll cheap out, go with Trey Lance or someone else and sign Micah and Ceedee Lamb... even though I think they're long issues in the post season is mostly coaching related... I think they'll dump Dak.

But I don't know shit about the Cowboys and I don't really want to know, so I'm likely to be very wrong about all this...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When a 2nd tier-QB ... and I'm not talking a "Good" quarterback ... I mean a "Quality" quarterback ... one that can win a Lombardi ... just NOT the Best-of-the-Best ... comes up for an extension, why should he get paid top-$
Well I guess we stole Jimmy G. for 2.6.
Definitely a second tier quarterback. :)
But look what we did with Baker Mayfield.
And yes, I'm giving the Los Angeles Rams total credit for his rejuvenation. :)

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
You misspelled Dak.
I think it's spelled, "C h o k e".

Until he at least makes it to the Super bowl I'm going to refer to him as;

"Choke Prescott".
I’d have gone for “Cack” but I’m not sure if Americans use that particular slang word.