Upcoming QB Contracts for Tagovailoa, Prescott, and Lawrence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB contracts need their own cap. $50M/yr is crazy.

But what would that achieve? The players get a certain percentage of the revenue. The owners aren't going to give them any more than that.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
??
The Cowboys have been really good to Dak, and he’s entering the last year of his deal when an extension would normally take place.
Keep in mind, back in ‘21, Dak entered free agency after missing most of the previous season due to a gruesome injury. And they gave him the highest signing bonus ever at the time and guaranteed a huge part of his contract without even knowing if he’d be all the way back from injury.
Its an interesting year in Big D because I could see them cleaning house if they don’t make noise in the playoffs next year.
It’s the cowboys. Talk of re-signing dak was all about long before his injury and subsequent deal. That’s what has been going on this round too.

You’re right. The cowboys WERE good to dak. They waited and paid for it. They have waited again but I don’t believe they want to pay for it this time unless he has some postseason success. He will cost too much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s the cowboys. Talk of re-signing dak was all about long before his injury and subsequent deal. That’s what has been going on this round too.

You’re right. The cowboys WERE good to dak. They waited and paid for it. They have waited again but I don’t believe they want to pay for it this time unless he has some postseason success. He will cost too much.
I still dont see when they ever waited?
He didnt look worthy of an extension on his rookie deal until his 4th year and then when the Cowboys franchised him it seemed like a major overpay. Then they franchised him a 2nd time which was crazy considering the injury he had.
Didnt play on the 2nd tag as they extended him with a 4 year deal with the massive signing bonus.
So when did they ever wait?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I still dont see when they ever waited?
He didnt look worthy of an extension on his rookie deal until his 4th year and then when the Cowboys franchised him it seemed like a major overpay. Then they franchised him a 2nd time which was crazy considering the injury he had.
Didnt play on the 2nd tag as they extended him with a 4 year deal with the massive signing bonus.
So when did they ever wait?
Maybe we see it differently, but when a team tags a player, I interpret that to mean they aren’t sure if he is gonna play to the level they want for the $$ the market says he can get. They might be weighing options for another season because there will always be other contracts on the roster to deal with.

In any case, the cowboys had a chance to extend dak prior to any franchise tag, they had a chance to extend him last season as he was beating up lousy teams, and they have the opportunity to extend him now.

They’re waiting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe we see it differently, but when a team tags a player, I interpret that to mean they aren’t sure if he is gonna play to the level they want for the $$ the market says he can get. They might be weighing options for another season because there will always be other contracts on the roster to deal with.

In any case, the cowboys had a chance to extend dak prior to any franchise tag, they had a chance to extend him last season as he was beating up lousy teams, and they have the opportunity to extend him now.

They’re waiting.
Well maybe if you read what I wrote, its not a matter of seeing it differently more of perspective. Dak's play fell off considerably after his rookie year, the earliest they would have extended him was during his 3rd season when he was fairly average.
Players bet on themselves and Dak wasnt signing for low $$, he wanted starter money and that is why he was franchised. You are making it sound like they could have just offered him a deal and he would have taken it.
I think they handled it fine, franchised him and then extended him after.
I think they'll extend him before the season starts this year (1 year before expiration)
If they dont extend him, and they get off to a bad start, I could see them trading him before the deadline to a team who has an injury

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
None of those guys should sniff goff $$. If I put all of their resumes side by side and removed the names, whose resume would you say is deserving of the most $$? I’m guessing you would pick out goff’s resume almost instantly.
Goff is so reliant on a good system and a great Oline. His last two years with the Rams weren’t good. He’s the definition of playing scared. Guys like Tua are much better at improvising, especially under pressure.
Yeah, ol’ dak played himself into a good spot by winning the division last year. The cowboys are in a real tunch. They were apprehensive to extend him last year because he hasn’t got them over the hump. The problem is he does just well enough to make a case that the team would be worse off without him.

Once again, the cowboys have waited too long to sign him and once again it is going to cost more than it would have had they pulled the trigger sooner—should that be the route they want to go. The problem has always been, who has he beaten? He has not showed in the games/moments that count.

…unlike Mathew Stafford. He doesn’t play scared or conservative. He’s not afraid to make mistakes because he knows he can also make the big throw. Can anybody, WOULD anybody say that about dak?
Edit:
Jerry Jones just might end up leaving the team they way he found them.
Stafford plays scared? :wow2: Please explain.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

…unlike Mathew Stafford. He doesn’t play scared or conservative. He’s not afraid to make mistakes because he knows he can also make the big throw. Can anybody, WOULD anybody say that about dak?

I got to ask for a clarification here because I think you are a good poster.

The first couple sentences in your post are all about Dak Prescott, so the 'He' above is Prescott.

It reads as if you are saying Stafford plays 'scared or conservative'. That's not what you meant ... Right?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Well maybe if you read what I wrote, its not a matter of seeing it differently more of perspective. Dak's play fell off considerably after his rookie year, the earliest they would have extended him was during his 3rd season when he was fairly average.
Players bet on themselves and Dak wasnt signing for low $$, he wanted starter money and that is why he was franchised. You are making it sound like they could have just offered him a deal and he would have taken it.
I think they handled it fine, franchised him and then extended him after.
I think they'll extend him before the season starts this year (1 year before expiration)
If they dont extend him, and they get off to a bad start, I could see them trading him before the deadline to a team who has an injury

No. I don’t see it that way. I don’t see him being traded in season either.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Goff is so reliant on a good system and a great Oline. His last two years with the Rams weren’t good. He’s the definition of playing scared. Guys like Tua are much better at improvising, especially under pressure.

Stafford plays scared? :wow2: Please explain.

Bad grammer. My bad. I meant quite the opposite. I should have phrased it, “unlike Stafford, who doesn’t play scared.”

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I got to ask for a clarification here because I think you are a good poster.

The first couple sentences in your post are all about Dak Prescott, so the 'He' above is Prescott.

It reads as if you are saying Stafford plays 'scared or conservative'. That's not what you meant ... Right?

Yes. See my explanation above. It was bad grammer. I am usually such a stickler. I failed this writing assignment, though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. I don’t see it that way. I don’t see him being traded in season either.
So when *should* they have extended him? And at what cost?
Keeping in mind he's on his 3rd contract
Rookie deal 4 years
1 year Franchise tag
4 year extension (which has 1 season left)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes. See my explanation above. It was bad grammer. I am usually such a stickler. I failed this writing assignment, though.

No problem but glad to hear it.

@OldSchool and @Loyal were both really upset, and had to be talked-out of coming to look for you.

Don't get me wrong. They are great guys, huge Rams' fans and know football. They are just a little unstable.

Tano

Legend
I know nothing! I am merely a messenger.
mr narrins GIF

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
So when *should* they have extended him? And at what cost?
Keeping in mind he's on his 3rd contract
Rookie deal 4 years
1 year Franchise tag
4 year extension (which has 1 season left)

Hmmm. That’s a really good question.
I will do my best to ignore hindsight and place myself in the moment, as a cowboy exec.

I have one issue with your premise, however, because I only count the rookie contract and the extension which ends after this season as “contracts”. I’m not counting franchise tags as such.

I would have signed him to his first extension earlier because he was playing well and he was young. Signing any player one year as opposed to the next will always be cheaper and a young QB who has played well will still be young enough for another team to want (reclamation project?) if he doesn’t deliver the desired results. Guys like goff, mayfield, and wentz come to mind.

Two franchise tags later, dak got his contract and for a helluva lot more than it would have been had the cowboys presented it earlier.

Looking at the cap increases and the QB contracts to go with it, I admit it would have been difficult not to consider extending him last offseason.

I will say that because dak was not extended prior to the 2023 season, I would have become increasingly skeptical about his true ceiling and given up the idea until after the season—knowing full well the best case scenario was postseason success and a gigantic reward in the form of a new contract would be in play.
…but that didn’t happen. He choked again and now dak is in the derek carr, kirk cousins area. He’s older, his window possibly closed or at least closing, has never quite delivered what he was paid to do, and there’s no way in hell he’s gonna be the highest paid or even close to it now.

There’s no need to start a season long fight, so I let him play out his deal again and we find an amicable solution after the year ends.

It’s all on dak to either win a title and get paid as a cowboy or establish his worth for another team now. The cowboys, OTOH, cannot possibly think they have his replacement in house in the form of trey lance.

I appreciate your time and thoughts on this, dieter, but I’m kinda cowboy-ed out. I’m not sad about the position they’re in and it would suit me just fine if they won 10+ games and choked in the playoffs again, only to be between a rock and a hard place with dak once more.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
No problem but glad to hear it.

@OldSchool and @Loyal were both really upset, and had to be talked-out of coming to look for you.

Don't get me wrong. They are great guys, huge Rams' fans and know football. They are just a little unstable.

I’ll leave it to you to talk them down because I hear one is a biter and the other is having gender issues. Oh, he knows what HE is, he just doesn’t recognize the difference in anybody else.
(Blue font)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have signed him to his first extension earlier because he was playing well and he was young
That's the problem, he wasnt eligible to sign an extension until after his 3rd season. And at that time there were still doubts about him, he wasnt as good as he was as a rookie. I know 1 thing for sure, Dak wanted starter money and there were talks about the discount the Boys got because he was drafted in 4th round. Dak blew up in his 4th year and earned that franchise tag.
In order to argue that there is any history of feet dragging, it has to start here. Dak wasnt signing for less than what he ultimately got.
Why do I have such recollection of this? Simple, the comparisons to Goff were constant