Upcoming QB Contracts for Tagovailoa, Prescott, and Lawrence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“Everyone” was a little surprised by Goff’s deal… what does Tua, Dak, and Trevor Lawrence get on their extensions?

I’d say Goff is a little better than all three, or at least it’s debatable… I wouldn’t want to pay Tua or Dak. Even Trevor Lawrence hasn’t exactly looked elite.

QB contracts need their own cap. $50M/yr is crazy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When you have a quarterback who isn't elite, but good enough to get you to the playoffs, you're kinda stuck. If you want to keep him you have to pay him elite money. If you don't you could be one of those teams stuck in quarterback purgatory. Because you could do worse than what you have.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When you have a quarterback who isn't elite, but good enough to get you to the playoffs, you're kinda stuck. If you want to keep him you have to pay him elite money.

I completely agree but I have never appreciated the thought process.

When a 2nd tier-QB ... and I'm not talking a "Good" quarterback ... I mean a "Quality" quarterback ... one that can win a Lombardi ... just NOT the Best-of-the-Best ... comes up for an extension, why should he get paid top-$?

I accept that is the way it is. However, it just does not make sense to me.

If a quality QB comes-up for an extension, his agent says ... 'OK, the top QB makes $X ... my guy wants $X-plus.'
The answer should be ... "Your guy is not as good as the top guy. In fact, he's not as good as the top-three. He is in the group with the next 8-10; and we will pay him more than any of those guys but not top-3-money.'

I do get it. First-off, it's not that simple. Plus, if a team has a Quality quarterback, it will usually talk-him-up as if he is the best (or at least as good as any quarterback other than Mahomes).

Which kind of leads to my final thought. Who is the 2nd best Quarterback in the NFL?
There really is no answer. It's just opinion; and a lot of teams and fans love their guy.
There are a lot of guys that could be in that discussion. So when any of them come-up for an extension, the agent can start the negotiation with ... 'My guy is as good as anyone not named Patrick Mahomes, so we expect more $ than all those guys.'

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The franchise tag is always available. I think Dak gets it. The Dolphins will pay Tu, but that might come back and bite them in the butt.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
“Everyone” was a little surprised by Goff’s deal… what does Tua, Dak, and Trevor Lawrence get on their extensions?

I’d say Goff is a little better than all three, or at least it’s debatable… I wouldn’t want to pay Tua or Dak. Even Trevor Lawrence hasn’t exactly looked elite.

QB contracts need their own cap. $50M/yr is crazy.

None of those guys should sniff goff $$. If I put all of their resumes side by side and removed the names, whose resume would you say is deserving of the most $$? I’m guessing you would pick out goff’s resume almost instantly.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The franchise tag is always available. I think Dak gets it. The Dolphins will pay Tu, but that might come back and bite them in the butt.
Agree on tua, but dak has no trade, no franchise tags in his contract. The cowboys will be looking for a QB next year or they will bury themselves by giving dak another contract.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biggest problem the nfl has with the salary cap, is the 2nd/3rd tier qb coming up on a contract.
Tua is basically Daniel Jones 2.0
There is no way a team would pay him top dollar on a free agent deal, Miami will only be competing with themselves

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Would gladly pay for Trevor Lawrence. The Jacksonville O-line and defense has done him no favors.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Would gladly pay for Trevor Lawrence. The Jacksonville O-line and defense has done him no favors.
He was pretty good in 2022. Looked like he was ready to take it to a higher level. But didn't continue the path in 2023. I believe he was battling injuries so I imagine that had a little to do with it. He's gonna have to show something this year. He'll be eligible for an extension next year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Trevor. Just think what McVay could do with him ?
All of us would love Trevor Lawrence, but the Quarterback of the Future is going to have be done the old fashion way....Draft him.
1716145961393.png

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dak has a no tag clause in his current contract.
Agree on tua, but dak has no trade, no franchise tags in his contract. The cowboys will be looking for a QB next year or they will bury themselves by giving dak another contract.
Damn, I didn’t realize that. Looks like he might be playing elsewhere? Dak could be a Raider.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Damn, I didn’t realize that. Looks like he might be playing elsewhere? Dak could be a Raider.
Yeah, ol’ dak played himself into a good spot by winning the division last year. The cowboys are in a real tunch. They were apprehensive to extend him last year because he hasn’t got them over the hump. The problem is he does just well enough to make a case that the team would be worse off without him.

Once again, the cowboys have waited too long to sign him and once again it is going to cost more than it would have had they pulled the trigger sooner—should that be the route they want to go. The problem has always been, who has he beaten? He has not showed in the games/moments that count.

…unlike Mathew Stafford. He doesn’t play scared or conservative. He’s not afraid to make mistakes because he knows he can also make the big throw. Can anybody, WOULD anybody say that about dak?
Edit:
Jerry Jones just might end up leaving the team they way he found them.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
There was a time I would have agreed, but he’s still turning the ball over too much in the red zone. I need a solid year out of that guy and now, he’s got some real competition in his division.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once again, the cowboys have waited too long to sign him and once again it is going to cost more than it would have had they pulled the trigger sooner
??
The Cowboys have been really good to Dak, and he’s entering the last year of his deal when an extension would normally take place.
Keep in mind, back in ‘21, Dak entered free agency after missing most of the previous season due to a gruesome injury. And they gave him the highest signing bonus ever at the time and guaranteed a huge part of his contract without even knowing if he’d be all the way back from injury.
Its an interesting year in Big D because I could see them cleaning house if they don’t make noise in the playoffs next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dak has a no tag clause in his current contract.
Not that he even needs one. Dallas used the franchise tag on him twice so even if it were available they wouldn’t be able to use it, he’d be paid about 60 mill for 1 season