PREGAME Up Next: Rams at Colts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Some delayed blitzes would be great. I saw it last week too, Wentz still holds onto the ball wayyyy too long.

dang

Legend
Rams will break 30 points. So the D should be good enough.
I’ve always that 31 points is the Mendoza line for winning. After watching the Rams offense in week 1 I have faith in them scoring at least 31 points against the Colts. Likewise the Colts offense is average at best so I like the chances of the Rams defense to hold them under 31. I do expect it to be closer than the Bears game which means we will see more of McVays playbook.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if they give taylor room to run it will be goodbye.

JRobinson

MiLB
One thing is for absolute certain: the Colts will run the rock right at us. We gonna find out if we can actually stop the run at all this week.

The Bears showed that as of right now, you can chew clock and play the short game against us. That’s how we can be beat. Don’t think for a minute that Hines won’t be a factor either, because that dude is a stud. I’m hopeful to see some of Jones in there with Young myself. I truly believe the Colts will run the ball at least 30 times; if we don’t get a big lead early.

Indy’s defense is a strong unit as well, one of the top units last year while adding a solid first round DE to the DLine.

I’m not quite as concerned for our offensive unit as I am our defense. This will be a true test for our run D, watch.

bluecoconuts

Legend
One thing is for absolute certain: the Colts will run the rock right at us. We gonna find out if we can actually stop the run at all this week.

The Bears showed that as of right now, you can chew clock and play the short game against us. That’s how we can be beat. Don’t think for a minute that Hines won’t be a factor either, because that dude is a stud. I’m hopeful to see some of Jones in there with Young myself. I truly believe the Colts will run the ball at least 30 times; if we don’t get a big lead early.

Indy’s defense is a strong unit as well, one of the top units last year while adding a solid first round DE to the DLine.

I’m not quite as concerned for our offensive unit as I am our defense. This will be a true test for our run D, watch.

Score enough to put the ball in Wentz's hands, I don't think he has the accuracy to make it happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I expect the Colts to run at us, but I like parts of this matchup. I think we can force some mistakes with Wentz.

They will be an angry team, so we need to match intensity even if they get early momentum.

There is a LOT in the offense we haven’t unveiled. Michel, Atwell, and Harris most notably. I think we see more Michel this week.

Atwell and Harris we might be saving some of how we’ll mix them in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bears showed that as of right now, you can chew clock and play the short game against us. That’s how we can be beat.
Rams 34
Bears 14

They showed how to lose. The Short game vs the Rams Quick strikes is a loser in the end. Our running game ramped up when Henderson began to enforce his will in the 4th quarter and single handedly ran for 4 first downs, sealing the victory. Rams will be up early and force the other team to become one-dimensional. Checkmate, Rams.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They showed how to lose.

And, with decent QB play out of Dalton. We will see sloppier play from other QB's at some point.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Rams 34
Bears 14

They showed how to lose. The Short game vs the Rams Quick strikes is a loser in the end. Our running game ramped up when Henderson began to enforce his will in the 4th quarter and single handedly ran for 4 first downs, sealing the victory. Rams will be up early and force the other team to become one-dimensional. Checkmate, Rams.
I will say though I don't like the bend don't break crap though. It just wears down your defense and can rack up injuries over the long haul.

You have an offense that can respond if your D gives up a score so why let the other team control the clock?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I will say though I don't like the bend don't break crap though. It just wears down your defense and can rack up injuries over the long haul.

You have an offense that can respond if your D gives up a score so why let the other team control the clock?
Yes, the wearing down that leads to injury and makes it harder for you offense to get into their rhythm.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Slow the Colts running game early, get a lead, put game on Wentz’s shoulders…go home with a win.

Rams 27
Colts 16

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing I don't like about the "bend but don't break" defense is that for 2 years teams have been trying to avoid Aaron Donald by passing the ball in less than 2 seconds. And that leaves their receivers wide open because our DB's play off the line. If teams avoid the pass rush by getting the ball out quickly, wouldn't it make more sense to play tight coverage?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rams 34
Bears 14

That's certainly McVay's strategy: get up early and force the other team to pass into the teeth of the D.

Personally I hope McVay will be a bit more balanced and/or patient on the road.

Rams can go deep at any time, but I would like to see the O put together some TOP eating drives. Love to see some of Carberry's preferred physical blocking with Sony Michel getting snaps too. And see Stafford converting third downs to move the chains as needed. Not to the exclusion of explosives, but to control the clock AND the score.

Playing on the road Rams also do not want to allow the Colts' running game to march up and down the field all day and dominate time of possession. Wentz is inconsistent but good enough to convert if Colts can drive down to the red zone.

One good way to avoid this is to keep their offense off the field. Wentz is not as effective when he's frustrated.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing I don't like about the "bend but don't break" defense is that for 2 years teams have been trying to avoid Aaron Donald by passing the ball in less than 2 seconds. And that leaves their receivers wide open because our DB's play off the line. If teams avoid the pass rush by getting the ball out quickly, wouldn't it make more sense to play tight coverage?
I agree. And getting the ball back to this offense a few more times a game is gonna mean more points. That's how you get into that GSoT type range where you put teams down quick in games with a big lead early.

For the record though all I care about is winning. I just believe the soft/finesse teams get weeded out in the playoffs so I am hopeful we can tighten up that stuff.

It's not hard to guess what the Colts are doing right now either. Basically putting together a ground game with intent to mash us. Also and btw one good thing is our DL group wasn't blown off the ball in game one. That would have been much worse. They were moreso out of position and not working as a full group together which backs up that popular opinion of them being rusty from no preseason. So hopefully they'll stuff the Colts and three 'n out their asses early which will help them put up a nice lead. :thumbsup1:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've got 3 sons... a set of twins and their older brother. Two of them are diehard Ram Fans, but one of the twins is a diehard colt fan.

There will be extreme shit talking going on between us on Sunday no matter what happens. We'll all be watching it together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah after losing their home opener and being home again they'll be laser focused. They go on the road for three straight after the Rams.

As long as we can come out and play with even a small lead early i always like our chances. Rams have been so good on the road under McV
23-11
Maybe. Or they are having a slow start and won’t find their grove for a few more weeks.

They do have a new QB and a few injuries. They aren’t likely to be able to pull off a playoff worthy performance in week 2.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I've got 3 sons... a set of twins and their older brother. Two of them are diehard Ram Fans, but one of the twins is a diehard colt fan.

There will be extreme shit talking going on between us on Sunday no matter what happens. We'll all be watching it together.

I hope you have made the appropriate adjustments to the Will.