PREGAME Up Next: Rams at Colts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hope you have made the appropriate adjustments to the Will.

I've said this here many times in the past... I did let the colt fan sleep inside if it got below 32° outside. Unfortunately for him, we live in Orlando.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I would expect the Colts to come out playing a lot of 2 deep safeties if they saw any of the game we played last week. So I think we should run the ball right at them until they shy away from that, then take them deep. My main concern is actually Buckner blowing up the middle of our O Line and getting after Stafford. He is Donald lite and can disrupt. Outside of him, I'm not too worried about their pass rush.

I think our D can handle their fair to middling WR's and we can concentrate on stopping Taylor and the run.

I like our chances in this one!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

From the Podium: Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford look ahead to Week 2 at Colts​

Sep 15, 2021 at 05:55 PM
Stu Jackson of the Los Angeles Rams headshot, Thursday, May 20, 2021, in Thousand Oaks, CA. (Jeff Lewis/LA Rams)

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Matthew Stafford each held press conferences with local media Wednesday to preview the team's Week 2 road game against the Colts.
Here are some of the highlights and key takeaways from those conversations, which you can watch in their entirety below:

"Tutu Atwell will be our punt returner." – McVay​

• Asked on Wednesday about using wide receiver Cooper Kupp at punt returner in Week 1, McVay indicated that was because there wasn't a possibility for them returning the Bears' lone punt Sunday night (which was fair-caught by Kupp).
  • "He's a guy that in a normal circumstance and situation, you can expect to see him back there," McVay said of Atwell.

"These guys are really tough. They've got a really physical offensive line, they've got great skill players, and they really do a lot of different things that can put a lot of pressure on you." – McVay​

• The Colts offense will present challenges for the Rams with the personnel they have in each of those groups.
  • McVay noted Colts quarterback Carson Wentz's "well-documented" abilities to make plays on-and-off schedule, as well as Indianapolis have two running backs in Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines that pose challenges to defenses.

"I think the best way to do it for everybody is just to try to handle their job, play their responsibility as best they can." – Stafford​

• Asked about handling obvious pressure, Stafford indicated the best approach is simply for each person to do their job to the best of their ability.
  • "I'm going to try to do that week in and week out day in and day out," Stafford said.

"(Andrew Whitworth) looks young and athletic to me. I think he played good the other night." – Stafford​

• Whitworth isn't showing any signs of looking like an offensive line turning 40 later this year, according to Stafford.
  • Stafford called Whitworth "a consummate pro" who takes care of his body, is always ready to go, takes mental reps when not practicing and "does a great job leading us."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

"Tutu Atwell will be our punt returner." – McVay​

• Asked on Wednesday about using wide receiver Cooper Kupp at punt returner in Week 1, McVay indicated that was because there wasn't a possibility for them returning the Bears' lone punt Sunday night (which was fair-caught by Kupp).
  • "He's a guy that in a normal circumstance and situation, you can expect to see him back there," McVay said of Atwell.

Makes sense. We should see Atwell this week. (y)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bears don't have much of a deep threat. Parris Campbell is their fastest WR and he's been underwhelming.

Be smart Morris - please - the Colts want to run the ball, after seeing us against the Bears, they're going to plan on running the ball 80% of the time if we let them.

Please do not let them. Please??

Change it up, stack the box and leave Ramsey/Williams on islands with their subpart WRs

Please???

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Man the more I look at it, not only do I expect the dub, I'd be disappointed if this isn't an ass whooping.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Man the more I look at it, not only do I expect the dub, I'd be disappointed if this isn't an ass whooping.

I will as well. If the Seahawks, running their wish.com version of our offence was able to beat up on them a bit, we definitely should be able to.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

4 bold predictions for Rams encore in Week 2 against the Colts​

The Rams hold the Colts to under 14 points

The Los Angeles Rams held the Chicago Bears to 386 yards and 14 points to open the season, though that was with Andy Dalton the helm. Carson Wentz can be dangerous with his legs and his arms and has pulled some Houdini-like escapes in his career, but it remains to be seen if Wentz can get back to his prime. It won’t be easy against the Rams either, who just caused two turnovers against the Bears.

Last weekend the Seattle Seahawks did not let Wentz have a Stafford-like appearance in his first game with the Colts, though he was not the reason for his teams loss. Wentz put up respectable numbers, going 25 of 38 with 251 yards and two touchdowns but also had a fumble. Running back Jonathan Taylor could not get anything going on the run game either and was held to just 56 yards rushing on 17 carries which was good for 3.3 yards per carry.

As a whole the Colts ended up with 336 yards total, went 5 of 13 on third down conversions, and turned the ball over on downs three times.

Wentz is a familiar foe for the LA defense and has not fared well in years past. In Week 2 of 2020 the Philadelphia Eagles hosted the Rams and lost 19 to 37. In that game Wentz committed two turnovers, only completed 56.5% of his passes, and was held to 242 yards passing.

Most of the starters on the Rams defense did not play a single down in preseason, so it would be safe to say LA is just getting warmed up—evident by only one Aaron Donald Sack against the Bears. Jalen Ramsey is getting used to his new role in defensive coordinator Raheem Morris’ scheme, but so far has shined in it as he was the lead tackler against the Bears. With one game under their belt, Wentz and company will not be able to overcome the onslaught from the Rams Defense and will be held under 14 points.

DeSean Jackson get his first touchdown of the year

If you were paying any attention to the Rams offseason scrimmages you would know that the Stafford-Jackson connection was looking sensational. Highlights of Jackson putting the burners on against his fellow teammates and catching a perfectly thrown deep ball from Stafford seemed to be coming out weekly.

Yet it was Van Jefferson creating space between him and the Bears coverage catching a perfect ball from Stafford and running in for the score. Then it was Cooper Kupp on an island of his own, 15 yards from the nearest defender, walking in for an easy 56 yard touchdown. Meanwhile, Jackson had only two targets on Sunday night, good for 21 yards.

Sean McVay says he expects WFT-prime DeSean Jackson with the Rams this fall: "What I've been impressed with is I'm seeing the same player. It's never been an ability thing. It's just availability the last couple of years. ... He's going to be a big factor for us this year." pic.twitter.com/BlOQOxvXVv
— Greg Beacham (@gregbeacham) September 8, 2021

Los Angeles did not have to do much more on offense to get the win thanks to their defense, but coach Sean McVay likely had a list of plays he never had to touch in his playbook against the Bears.

Against the Colts though, McVay will set up the perfect scheme to get Jackson behind enemy lines just like he did with Kupp and Jefferson, all Jackson will need to do is make the catch. What we saw in those scrimmages will come to life right before our eyes as Jackson celebrates his first touchdown in a Rams uniform.

Matthew Stafford throws twice the amount of passing yards as Carson Wentz

With Jared Goff traded away to the Detroit Lions in the offseason, the narrative of the first pick vs the second pick in the 2016 draft is over, but in its stead a matchup of Stafford-Wentz will takeover on Sunday. It could be explosive. Or it could be very one sided. I’m guessing the latter and predicting Stafford doubles Wentz’ passing yards.

Matthew Stafford is just getting used to McVay’s offense and still managed go 20-26, 321 yards, and three touchdowns—setting a career high 156.1 passer rating. McVay did not have to delve very deep into his bag of tricks either to beat the Bears, and was able to leave his plans for Jackson and Tutu Atwell on the sideline. The Rams offense has yet to be fully unleashed, will it be in Week 2? If that is the case then the Colts defense will have its hands full, especially after letting Russell Wilson go 18 for 23, 254 yards, and four touchdowns.

In 2020, the Rams doubled their opposing teams passing yards four times—against the Washington Football team in Week 5, the Miami Dolphins in Week 8, and the Arizona Cardinals twice in Week 13 and Week 17. The stat is a testament to just how dominant Los Angeles’ defense was last year. With Ramsey and Donald still cemented in their positions this year, the Rams look to continue their reign of dominance. LA’s defense is just now warming up after shaking off the rust against Chicago—and even then they still managed two turnovers and three sacks.

With the strong-armed Stafford backed up by what could be a repeat number one defense, Wentz and the Colts will not be able to match LA’s explosiveness through the air.

Jonathan Taylor is held to under 50 yards

The one weak spot in the Rams defense last week was their inability to stop the run. David Montgomery went for 108 yards on 16 carries and averaged 6.8 per rush attempt—though the numbers are a bit skewed thanks to a 41 yard rush on the second play of the game. Sometimes the best run defense is a good offense, and the Rams appear to have a great one. Chicago had to step away from the run game early when LA’s offense exploded. If the Rams get ahead early against the Colts, it will be much of the same this week.

It also helps that there is already a blueprint to stop the Colts running attack. Against the Seahawks, Taylor only averaged 3.3 yards per carry—though it could just be an outlier. Last year Taylor finished the season with 1,169 yards rushing and averaged five yards a carry. With an average of 77.9 rushing yards per game Indianapolis has one of the best offensive lines coming into this season. Pro Football Focus believes the Colts have the second best offensive line in the NFL. Last year Philip Rivers only suffered 19 sacks, but in just one game this year with Wentz behind center, the offensive line has already allowed three.

With a week to prepare Morris will have his team ready to stop the run. Regardless of how well the Colts offensive line had played in 2020, this year there seems to be some weaknesses up front for Indy. LA will take full advantage of the film Indianapolis put on display last week and stop Taylor from reaching 50 yards rushing.

What are your bold predictions this week?

Big Game

Living The Dream
This game will be tough to start due to Indy being motivated and not wanting to go down 0-2 to start the season. Plus they are at home. I expect them to try to control the clock and pound the ball and take a shot or two downfield off playaction. The problem this year with what we have seen with the Rams is, if you do that we can turn around and strike for a touchdown in one or two plays. So that means they have to score every time they have the ball much like Nagy felt when he was going for 4th and 15 lol.

I see the game being close in the first quarter but after that i see the Rams opening it up and winning big 38-17.

P.S. I'll be at the game sitting in section 306

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Losing Braden Smith... Ouch.

Now maybe Morris will let big 54 get his rush on in this one.