PREGAME Up Next: Rams at Colts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

First Look: Rams travel to Indianapolis to take on Colts for first road game of 2021 season​

After opening the 2021 season with a 34-14 win over the Bears at SoFi Stadium in Week 1, the Rams (1-0) are headed to Indianapolis to take on the Colts (0-1) at Lucas Oil Stadium in Week 2 for their first road game of the year. Kickoff is scheduled for 10 a.m. pacific time on FOX.

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Colts:

Notable Colts additions

• Acquired QB Carson Wentz in a trade with the Eagles on March 17: In wake of Philip Rivers' retirement, Indianapolis sent a 2021 third round draft pick and a conditional 2022 second round pick to Philadelphia for Wentz. The Colts are counting on the reunion of Wentz and head coach Frank Reich to produce the same success that partnership achieved – Reich was Wentz's offensive coordinator with the Eagles from 2016-17; in 2017, Wentz passed for a career-high 33 touchdowns against only seven interceptions, finishing with 3,296 yards.
  • Signed OT Eric Fisher to a one-year deal on May 12: Four months after longtime starting left tackle Anthony Castanzo announced his retirement, the Colts signed Fisher as his replacement and Wentz's blindside protector. Currently in his ninth NFL season, the two-time Pro Bowl selection Fisher spent his first eight seasons with the Chiefs. While Fisher still hasn't made his Colts debut yet – he was ruled out for Week 1 with an Achilles injury – Reich indicated it's possible he could return this week.
Top performers in Week 1

Wentz completed 25 of 38 pass attempts for 251 yards and two touchdowns with one lost fumble in the Colts' 28-16 loss to the Seahawks.

RB Jonathan Taylor led Indianapolis' backfield with 17 carries for 56 yards, and was also the team's leading receiver with 60 yards. Taylor and RB Nyheim Hines also tied for the team lead in catches with six each (Hines had 48 receiving yards).

WR Zach Pascal was on the receiving end of both of Wentz's touchdown passes, also finishing with four catches for 43 yards.

S Khari Willis and LB Bobby Okereke paced the Colts defense with seven total tackles each, while DL DeForest Buckner and CB Kenny Moore each chipped in a sack. LB Darious Leonard tallied five total tackles and a forced fumble. Defensive end 2021 first-round pick Kwity Paye recovered Leonard's forced fumble and added three total tackles in his NFL debut.

On special teams, K Rodrigo Blankenship made his lone field goal attempt (21 yards) and lone extra point attempt, while P Rigoberto Sanchez averaged 46.8 yards per punt across four punts.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

For those who study the line of scrimmage closely, this game's battle in the trenches will be for you.

Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald versus the Colts' Quenton Nelson will present one of the top individual matchups seen this season. Donald was named a First Team All-Pro for the sixth-straight season and to the Pro Bowl for a seventh-straight season, while Nelson is coming off his third-straight First Team All-Pro Selection and third-straight Pro Bowl nod.

From a broader perspective, a motivated Colts offensive line likely awaits the Rams' defensive front seven this weekend. After Wentz was sacked three times and under pressure on 20 of his 44 dropbacks, according to Pro Football Focus – Reich's assessment after watching the film was that the protection was not up to the Colts' standards. That group will also look different if Fisher ends up being available.

Tano

Legend
A lot of you will probably disagree with me, but I would like to see Donald move all over the place like they did against the Bears and have him line up across from Quentin Nelson only a few times.

Quentin Nelson is probably the only guy in the league who could possibly hold his own one on one against Donald. Not saying he is better but these two are the best in the business at their respective positions. Quentin Nelson is going to be a hall of famer.

Sometimes I would like to see the best go at each other but I want a win. Let's have the other Colt linemen match up with Donald.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like this matchup for the Rams. I think it will be a smash-mouth run it down your throat type of game. I think they will test our Dline early and often this week. Especally after seeing what Chicago did to us last week on the ground. While I think Chicago is a much better running team than Indy, I don't think they'll make the same mistakes the Bears made going pass happy with Wentz.

I think the Rams D will take a more traditional approach this week giving more playing time to Reeder and Young. Hopefully Brown will step in and help fill in the middle of that defense while Donald takes his chances rushing the passer and trying to get into the backfield. If the Rams can keep them in 3rd and long situations they should be able to easily control the tempo of the game. If Fisher plays I expect him to be rusty and the Rams should take advantage. Anyone that's ever recovered from a Achilies injury knows it's one of the hardest injuries to come back from, especially playing a position like LT. Look for him to be tested early and often.

On offense, I think we'll see a little more playaction this week and give Henderson a heavier workload. I hope Michel is ready to roll as he'll be needed if we get into that type of game with the Colts. If we can establish an early run game I expect Stafford to dominate the Colts secondary.

I hope this season is the season we see McVay really open up his playbook. There were times last year when he looked predictable and downright bland at times. Who's to say whether or not it was because of Goffs deficiencies or lack of confidence from coach. But now that we seem to have all the pieces in place it should be very difficult to tell what style offense the Rams will be running in the upcoming weeks.

btfd16

Rookie
I think Chicago is a much better running team than Indy,
I too think the D will take a more traditional approach, but curious why you think this.

Indy's line did struggle last week, but I don't put too much stock into the one game. They are still 4/5ths of the same #1 ranked offensive line as last year, with (imo) the best single lineman in the game. The only difference from last year is Eric Fisher replaces Costanzo. Plus they have Johnathan Taylor paired with Nyheim Hines. I think they are a much better running team than the Bears, more dimensional in pass catching out of the backfield with Hines, and the defense will adjust accordingly.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Colts will be fired up & motivated.

Yes sir Mojo.

NFL teams 0-1 are as dangerous as skinny dipping in the Everglades.

I believe like many on this forum, the Rams will need to play more physical at Indy then they did vs Chicago.

When the so called expert NFL pics start rolling in later this week, I'm expecting the narrative to be the Rams might be looking over their shoulder for their epic Week 3 matchup vs the defending champion Bucs.

This Indy game could easily be very tight starting the 4th QTR.

Possibly even decided by 7 points or less.

indianapolis.png

VS
la-rams-2020-1.png

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think so too. They’re at home… don’t want to fall to 0-2.
Yeah after losing their home opener and being home again they'll be laser focused. They go on the road for three straight after the Rams.

As long as we can come out and play with even a small lead early i always like our chances. Rams have been so good on the road under McV
23-11

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes sir Mojo.

NFL teams 0-1 are as dangerous as skinny dipping in the Everglades.

I believe like many on this forum, the Rams will need to play more physical at Indy then they did vs Chicago.

When the so called expert NFL pics start rolling in later this week, I'm expecting the narrative to be the Rams might be looking over their shoulder for their epic Week 3 matchup vs the defending champion Bucs.

This Indy game could easily be very tight starting the 4th QTR.

Possibly even decided by 7 points or less.

indianapolis.png

VS
la-rams-2020-1.png
I don't think so.
Nothing is exactly the same, but this has a 1999 vibe to it. What defenses have been doing to us the last few years doesn't work anymore. As Jourdan Rodrig says, we now have a problem solver at the QB position. That TD to Bobby Trees needs to be understood for what we can do now, but couldn't do last year. Stafford was on his third read with pressure all around him and then threw a ball high where only Woods could catch it, sealing the game.
Jared had skills but processing the field wasn't one of them. Nor was being under that kind of stress and still making a play a frequent occurence. In 1999 we faced a group of teams that few thought we could beat, or hadn't beaten in years. I remember that first Niners game where we heard "Same old Sorry Assed Rams" from them pre-game (Super Bowl video). I think with the new-found homefield advantage, a wide open McVay playbook, and a QB like Stafford who is now going to be playing with a lead most of the time...The Rams are going to knock teams out, which the analyst crown can't see coming.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Don't take any team lightly. I'm sure McVay drums this into the heads of his players.
What has impressed me with this 2021 Rams team is something we saw in 2018. The players are football smart and that tells me they are well coached.
All the way through the preseason and last week they had very few costly penalties and turnovers.
So I'm expecting the Colts to be 0-2 next week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Colts are a lot like the Rams tbh. They run the WCO on offense, probably have a better OL than us but it's early. They show a good amount of Cover 4 on defense, plus 3T matchup but they're stronger at LB and weaker on the back end. Good team all around and really the difference vs the Seahawks was Wilson. IMO they lack a QB but Wentz is a streaky bastid and could get hot.

This is a step up from the Bears IMO and it's in their house. Tampa who is a playoff rival coming in next. Big time trap type game so we're gonna see if these guys can be pros and take care of business. Hope they work on tackling this week.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Colts fans are far less confident in their team than we are afraid of them.

I expect us to win, but I also expect their best.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Colts are a lot like the Rams tbh. They run the WCO on offense, probably have a better OL than us but it's early. They show a good amount of Cover 4 on defense, plus 3T matchup but they're stronger at LB and weaker on the back end. Good team all around and really the difference vs the Seahawks was Wilson. IMO they lack a QB but Wentz is a streaky bastid and could get hot.

This is a step up from the Bears IMO and it's in their house. Tampa who is a playoff rival coming in next. Big time trap type game so we're gonna see if these guys can be pros and take care of business. Hope they work on tackling this week.
The Rams will destroy them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I ain't scurrred of the baby ponies.

I expect at least 2 picks, and beat up Carson Wentz again. He ain't good. That O is slow and plodding. Michael Pittman and Zach Pascal v Jalen Ramsey and Darius Williams??? No contest.

Their D is a bit overrated and Rams O is better.

26- 13 type game. Rams.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Colt RBs have serious 4.3 type speed. Morris will have to tighten up the D and play at least 2 LBs in the box. Pressure Wentz and he will throw INTs. This game as much as any will be won or lost in the front 7 of the D. Containing the RBs and pressuring Wentz.

The offense once again needs to get out front big quickly. Make them one-dimensional early that's how you beat the Colts. The same recipe to beat the Colts as the Bears, only their RBs are dangerous. But again they won't have the secondary to match up with the receiving depth the Rams have.

The Colts tried to stay in the game by controlling the clock. That won't work with the Rams anymore than with the SeaHawks.

I've always felt the Hawks were #2 in the NFCW this year. Kyler always starts out hot but wears down as the season and dings add up it's why I look at the Niners as #3. IMO the Sea Hawks when healthy are the most dangerous offense the Rams will face in the NFCW.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give a listen to the 11 Personnel podcast and you will hear Jourdan Rodrig explain that our defense played really well, despite what we think about the run defense. She said that the one long run by the Bears RB skewed the stats which otherwise would have been a pedestrian 3+ yard average. Sure, it still happened, but she spoke of the "star" position that Ramsey played, and the goal was to force the Bears to dink and dunk down the field with perfect discipline for multiple 70 yard drives, which she says is almost impossible to do over the course of 4 quarters. Give the podcast a listen because she's a little torqued by all of the talking head analysts who don't understand what the Rams were doing.

Last edited:

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Give a listen to the 11 Personnel podcast and you will hear Jourdan Rodrig explain that our defense played really well, despite what we think about the run defense. She said that the one long run by the Bears RB skewed the stats which otherwise would have been a pedestrian 3+ yard average. Sure, it still happened, but she spoke of the "star" position that Ramsey played, and the goal was to force the Bears to dink and dunk down the field with perfect discipline for multiple 70 yard drives, which she says is almost impossible to do over the course of 4 quarters. Give the podcast a listen because she's a little torques by all of the talking head analysts who don't understand what the Rams were doing.
I was thinking that Dalton had actually uncharacteristically played mistake free for a lot of drives during the 1st through 3rd quarters to keep the drives moving along. I just worry a bit that teams like SEA and SF will be able to keep those drives going with Play Action and running between the tackles. Keen to see how they play this week against the colts!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking that Dalton had actually uncharacteristically played mistake free for a lot of drives during the 1st through 3rd quarters to keep the drives moving along. I just worry a bit that teams like SEA and SF will be able to keep those drives going with Play Action and running between the tackles. Keen to see how they play this week against the colts!
This is the first "Preseason" game for our starters. The long runs won't continue to happen, I believe. They will be much tighter in defending the run in Indy.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
This is the first "Preseason" game for our starters. The long runs won't continue to happen, I believe. They will be much tighter in defending the run in Indy.
I hope so! I think that Floyd and Fuller will bounce back this week as well. I’m hoping for more pressure to be brought from the LBs and better play from the Safeties. Good chance for some turnovers from Wentz if Colts are forced to throw deeper - no way we don’t collapse that pocket and pressure the QB!