UDFA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Oh and for what little it's worth I think McLeod should be safe. Cody Davis on the other hand better not get too comfortable.

Alan

Legend
hotanez asking the question we'd all like an answer too:
Why next season? He signed for 2016
I was unaware until jjab360 informed me that we had picked up his 5th year option when I wrote that. That's what happens when you go to Jamaica on vacation and you're out of the loop for a week.

There still might be an opening but it's going to be tough to make it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think there's a slot at both cb and wr. McGhee hasn't impressed at all. And Brian Quicks shoulder is a major concern.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and provide with some good news on Quicks shoulder in case I missed it.

Quick has been said to be doing well in his rehab. May participate on a "protected" basis in the upcoming OTAs. He is expected to be ready by training camp.

RamBill

Legend
Rams adding undrafted rookies
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dc3b0e64-fa99-5ac8-ad4d-99bb67f238dc.html

Rookie free agents, the so-called "eighth round" of the draft, shouldn't be overlooked in terms of roster building. The Rams have done very well in this area under general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher over the past three years.

For example, Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker, starting free safety Rodney McLeod, and core special teams player Daren Bates all joined the Rams as rookie free agents.

The Rams had 73 players either under contract or drafted this weekend as of Saturday night, so they only needed to sign maybe 15 rookie free agents to approach the 90-man offseason roster limit. That assumes they keep a couple of roster spots open to sign veteran free agents.

Here's a preliminary list of undrafted rookies who have signed or agreed to terms with the Rams since the draft ended:

RB Malcolm Brown, Texas

CB Imoan Claiborne, Northwestern State

S Jacob Hagen, Liberty

S Jay Hughes, MississippiState

RB Terrence Franks, TexasState

FB Zach Laskey, Georgia Tech

WR Bradley Marquez, Texas Tech

WR Tyler Slavin, New MexicoHighlands

DT Louis Trinca-Pasat, Iowa

OT Darrell Williams, South Florida

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I was unaware until jjab360 informed me that we had picked up his 5th year option when I wrote that. That's what happens when you go to Jamaica on vacation and you're out of the loop for a week.

There still might be an opening but it's going to be tough to make it.
Jamaica! I'm so f'ing jealous.

Alan

Legend
hotanez wishing on a star:
Jamaica! I'm so f'ing jealous.
Very enjoyable until my daughter and I got that rash from the excess Chlorine in the pool. I'd go again but while it's a very close call, my wife and daughter both like mexico better. They're both pretty much equal in my mind but my wife has control of all vacations so I know where we'll be going next year. :LOL:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Here's a piece on the UDFA DT we signed (by PFF I know, but worth posting)

Louis Trinca-Pasat, DI, Iowa, St. Louis Rams

The “other” Iowa defensive tackle in this draft class next to the highly-rated Carl Davis, Louis Trinca-Pasat outshone his teammate at times in 2014. 41 total pressures from 347 pass rushing snaps gave him a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 9.2, the fourth-best mark in this class, and just two spots behind Davis. His best performance came against Northwestern, where he registered three sacks, a hit and two hurries, and while he will face an uphill battle to make the Rams roster, if he can perform like that his chances will greatly improve.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/03/10-defensive-udfas-to-like/

ponymon

UDFA
Name
Shep
Texas_logo.gif

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif

Texas_logo.gif
Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
40 Time: 4.62.
Projected Round (2015): 7-FA.

4/27/15: Brown ran for 708 yards on 183 carries (3.9 average) with six touchdowns in 2014. He had 16 receptions for 58 yards.

8/27/14: Brown has been a solid runner for Texas the past three seasons. His best production came as a junior in 2013 when he ran for 904 yards with an average of 4.2 yards per carry and nine touchdowns. Brown ran for 324 yards as a sophomore and 742 yards as a freshman. He has some receiving ability with 32 receptions over the past two years.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2015RB.php#hFsYS1s1JsGcpFtS.99

As I recall, Brown was rated as the #1 running back recruit in the nation by Rivals when he came out of high school and the overall #10 national recruit when he came out of Cibolo high school in 2011. Here is what Rivals said about him at the time:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Malcolm-Brown-88000

On the Hoof:Brown has a powerful body structure that will allow him to play at around 220 pounds. He is a punishing runner. Brown is built like a tank, and has a body type similar to 2010 Tennessee signee Rajion Neal.
Needs Improvement:Needs to work on running sharper routes and catching the ball away from his body in order to become the complete back. He could also improve his overall speed just a tad.
Most Impressive:Brown may be the best downhill runner in the country. He definitely runs behind his pads and explodes after contact. He also has good balance and will not come down with a simple arm tackle. He is most dangerous in the red zone.
Conclusion:Has the size, power and strength to play early in his career. He is the type of back that will wear out defenses in the second half and eat up a lot of clock. Expect him to eventually become an all-conference performer.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Rams adding undrafted rookies
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dc3b0e64-fa99-5ac8-ad4d-99bb67f238dc.html

Rookie free agents, the so-called "eighth round" of the draft, shouldn't be overlooked in terms of roster building. The Rams have done very well in this area under general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher over the past three years.

For example, Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker, starting free safety Rodney McLeod, and core special teams player Daren Bates all joined the Rams as rookie free agents.

The Rams had 73 players either under contract or drafted this weekend as of Saturday night, so they only needed to sign maybe 15 rookie free agents to approach the 90-man offseason roster limit. That assumes they keep a couple of roster spots open to sign veteran free agents.

Here's a preliminary list of undrafted rookies who have signed or agreed to terms with the Rams since the draft ended:

RB Malcolm Brown, Texas

CB Imoan Claiborne, Northwestern State

S Jacob Hagen, Liberty

S Jay Hughes, MississippiState

RB Terrence Franks, TexasState

FB Zach Laskey, Georgia Tech

WR Bradley Marquez, Texas Tech

WR Tyler Slavin, New MexicoHighlands

DT Louis Trinca-Pasat, Iowa

OT Darrell Williams, South Florida

Really appreciate the list! But, one player that I thought I read that the Rams had signed but is not on the above list is Isiah Ferguson. Apparently, Ferguson in a 6'5" WR from Arkansas Pine Bluffs who some think could be a major sleeper. Can anyone confirm if he has indeed signed with the Rams or has he decided on another team? If he has signed with the Rams it would not surprise me to see him compete for the Rams final WR roster spot (And, if he does not win a spot on the Rams final roster I would think he would at least make the Rams Practice Squad!).

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Rams add undrafted free agents to roster
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_40f29389-a9bc-5ef5-a681-93a4c894289c.html

At the end of the NFL draft Saturday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead met at Rams Park with members of the media to discuss the team’s selections.

But they still had some work to do, namely the “eighth round’’ of the draft — or the addition of undrafted rookie free agents.

It’s been an area of strength for Fisher and Snead, who wrapped up their fourth St. Louis draft Saturday. The team’s roster features a number of productive players who joined the team as undrafted free agents, including Pro Bowl punter Johnny Hekker, starting safety Rodney McLeod and special teams contributors Daren Bates, Benny Cunningham, Marcus Roberson and Trey Watts.

With 73 players under contract or drafted over the weekend, the Rams only needed to sign a handful to approach the 90-man offseason roster limit. And there’s always a chance they’ll need a spot or two to sign veteran free agents.

“Really (our current roster) affects the numbers, how many players you need,’’ Snead said. “So obviously we need less when there’s more under contract presently. Post-draft, instead of signing 30, you may only need 15, so that’s really all it does.’’

Snead also noted that this year’s draft wasn’t as strong as some other years.

“This draft is probably a little less deep than last year,’’ he said. “Last year, you get a (cornerback) Marcus Roberson in free agency, I don’t know if we’re getting a Marcus Roberson this year in free agency.”

Fisher added: “Or a Rodney McLeod.”

Still, the Rams — like every team in the NFL — will add a number of players, hoping to find a guy or two who can beat the odds and find a way to earn a spot on the regular-season roster as an undrafted free agent.

Since the draft, the Rams have signed or agreed to terms with 13 undrafted rookies.

One of the more intriguing prospects is two-sport standout Bradley Marquez, a wide receiver from Texas Tech who spent the summers of 2012 and 2013 playing minor-league baseball for the Kingsport (Tenn.) Mets. A 16th-round draft choice of the New York Mets in 2011, he batted .254 with a homer, 11 RBIs and four steals in 36 career games as a rookie-ball outfielder.

He has decided to put his baseball career on hold while giving football a try.

At Texas Tech last fall, the 6-foot, 203-pounder played in a number of different receiving spots and finished with a career-best 65 catches for 821 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Another receiver to watch is Tyler Slavin, a 6-foot-2, 215-pounder from Division II New Mexico Highlands. Slavin, who transferred to the Cowboys after two seasons at Arizona, caught 119 passes for 1,418 yards and had 17 touchdowns last fall. He had double-digit catches in six of 11 games, finishing with 17 grabs two times.

The Rams’ group also features a pair of running backs from Texas — former Longhorn Malcolm Brown and Texas State’s Terrence Franks.

Brown, a physical 5-foot-11, 224-pounder, finished his four-year stay in Austin with 2,678 yards, 27 touchdowns and 11 100-yard games. Not bad statistics for someone who battled injuries early and a crowded backfield late in his Texas career.

Franks played in 12 games but made just two starts last fall at Texas State. The 5-foot-10, 214-pounder had a career day against Idaho, rushing for 284 yards and three touchdowns, in just 15 carries, in a 35-30 Bobcats win. He finished the season with 712 rushing yards and scored 11 times.

Some other Rams signings of special note:

• Projected as a fifth- or sixth-round selection, Iowa defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat posted the following on Twitter: “Officially signed with the St. Louis Rams. Thank God Rams have given me one more opportunity. Those who overlooked me will regret it.”

The 6-foot-1, 290-pounder was a three-year starter in Iowa City and had career bests in tackles (65), tackles for loss (11.5) and sacks (seven) as a senior.

• Safety Jay Hughes of Mississippi State missed the final 12 games of his junior season because of an Achilles tendon injury but bounced back strong as a captain and team leader last fall. He played in all 13 games, making 12 starts, and had a pair of interceptions as the 10-3 Bulldogs reached the Orange Bowl. His father, Tony, is assistant head coach at Mississippi State.

• Two other FCS defensive backs who bear watching are cornerback Imoan Claiborne of Northwestern State of Louisiana and rangy safety Jacob Hagen of Liberty (Va.) University.

Claiborne (5-11, 187) is a physical man-to-man defender who had three interceptions and four fumble recoveries as a senior last fall. He also played in the Senior Bowl.

Hagen is a ball-hawking free safety with size (6-3, 215) and big-time production — 108 tackles, including 5½ for loss, eight interceptions, seven pass breakups and four forced fumbles last fall.

DAVON WALLS TO THE JETS

Davon Walls, the Brooklyn native who starred at Lincoln University in Jefferson City last fall, will be sticking close to home after signing as an undrafted free agent with the New York Jets.

Walls, who spent time at five colleges since 2009, was kicked off the team at Syracuse in 2013 after being charged with felony burglary for stealing $950 worth of electronic equipment. After fulfilling the terms of his probation, the charges were reduced to misdemeanor trespassing.

He eventually found his way to Lincoln, where he excelled in one season under coach Mike Jones, a former Rams linebacker.

In 11 games last fall, Walls, a 6-6, 295 defensive lineman, had 17½ tackles for loss and 10 sacks.

OTHER NFL SIGNINGS

Missouri State tight end Gannon Sinclair signed with the Arizona Cardinals. A 6-7, 280-pound transfer from the North Dakota College of Science, Sinclair started 12 games as a senior for the Bears last fall, finishing with 18 catches for 258 yards with a team-high seven touchdown receptions.

• Missouri S&T cornerback Will Brown, a Hazelwood West High product, will have a minicamp tryout with Tennessee.

…..

Legend
Love this Player......

2015 NFL Draft: Liberty Safety Jacob Hagen Scouting Report and Projection
by Bo Martin 5w ago Follow @TheBoMartinShow

It’s not uncommon for draft analysts to overlook FCS players, but in a draft that lacks a wealth of talent at the safety position players like Liberty’s Jacob Hagen warrant a closer look.
Hagen is an absolute ball hawk who finished the 2014 season with 108 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and eight interceptions. He possesses a unique combination of speed and physicality that accompanies his intense passion for the game.
Let’s take a closer look at Hagen’s skill set:

Jacob Hagen running his 40 for the NFL scouts at Pro Day #FLAMESintheNFL pic.twitter.com/nwEjqZGRBV
— Liberty Football (@LibertyFootball) March 18, 2015
Strengths
On film, Hagen is a dynamic free safety with exceptional range. He relies on sharp instincts that consistently put in position to make a play. Those instincts have helped him become an adept run defender who delivers big hits on runners as well as receivers running intermediate routes.
In pass defense Hagen possesses rare ball awareness, as well as, an incredible ability to catch the ball. Of all the safeties that I’ve studied in 2015, Hagen is easily amongst the most intelligent, he understands his opponents and is excellent at positioning himself in a manner that allows him to make plays on the ball.
Overall, Hagen is a skilled all-around safety who is capable in both man- and zone-coverage. He has great range and constantly around the ball. One last thing to point out is his effectiveness on special teams—this attribute is important for the team’s superstar; I love to see a player willing to contribute in every facet of the game for the betterment of the team.
Weaknesses
To be clear, Hagen isn’t without his flaws. First and foremost, there always remains the fact that Hagen played against a different quality of opponents than as his peers.
On the field, there were moments when Hagen was caught in over pursuit taking him completely out of the play. Moreover, while Hagen possesses 4.5 40-yard dash speed, he still has the propensity to be beaten on deep routes by quicker receivers. There are also times where it seems like Hagen gets tunnel-vision, that being that he focuses on one specific opponent in zone schemes only to end up blowing his assignment. The bottom line is that Hagen likes to gamble, more often than not it pays of for him, but when it doesn’t it’s ugly.
Team Fits
Buffalo Bills
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars

I can confirm the Buffalo Bills scouts were at Liberty (Jacob Hagen) and Lafayette (Ross Schuerman) pro day
— NFL Draft Diamonds (@DraftDiamonds) March 21, 2015

Draft Projection: 5th round
Some will see this as being a little optimistic but the NFL seriously lacks high quality free safeties. Hagen offers a team a hard-working, good character player who can make an impact on both special teams and nickel-packages immediately.
The future is unclear for Hagen, as he’ll have to work extremely hard. However, he has the raw skill set and with the right coaching, he could be a viable starter in this league.

http://nflmocks.com/2015/03/27/2015-nfl-draft-liberty-safety-jacob-hagen-scouting-report-projection

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Christian Bryant has to offer. Alot of good things said about him a year ago. Is he still on the roster?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Christian Bryant has to offer. Alot of good things said about him a year ago. Is he still on the roster?

We actually drafted him knowing he wouldn't be able to play last year. The Rams basically red shirted him and hopes he can contribute this year

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
One guy I think the rams should pursue is Darrian Miller OT/G Kentucky. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/darrian-miller?id=2552337

I have reservations about Miller because he was suspended for violating team rules and sat out against one of the "give me" games. There are some real dumb asses on that UK team. Someone on that team is always stirring up something. A few of those guys are facing charges because they got into a fight with some of the EKU football players at a bar in Richmond, KY. The fight makes no sense to me, mostly because who travels from Lexington to Richmond? Nobody!!!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We actually drafted him knowing he wouldn't be able to play last year. The Rams basically red shirted him and hopes he can contribute this year

Yeah, as soon as I posted I remembered they picked him in the 7th round. It's as close as you can get to an udfa.

Alan

Legend
Dog seeing potential:
Love this Player......

I can confirm the Buffalo Bills scouts were at Liberty (Jacob Hagen) and Lafayette (Ross Schuerman) pro day
— NFL Draft Diamonds (@DraftDiamonds) March 21, 2015

Draft Projection: 5th round
Some will see this as being a little optimistic but the NFL seriously lacks high quality free safeties. Hagen offers a team a hard-working, good character player who can make an impact on both special teams and nickel-packages immediately.
The future is unclear for Hagen, as he’ll have to work extremely hard. However, he has the raw skill set and with the right coaching, he could be a viable starter in this league.

http://nflmocks.com/2015/03/27/2015-nfl-draft-liberty-safety-jacob-hagen-scouting-report-projection
Ain't it the truth. that's kind of counter intuitive when you consider that with the NFL becoming more of a passing league every year the need for SSs has decreased while the need for FSs has increased.

Will the rams ever play press coverage on a consistent basis? :(

V3

Hall of Fame
Very enjoyable until my daughter and I got that rash from the excess Chlorine in the pool. I'd go again but while it's a very close call, my wife and daughter both like mexico better. They're both pretty much equal in my mind but my wife has control of all vacations so I know where we'll be going next year. :LOL:
Try Cuba. Added benefit of also feeling like you went back in time. No flux capacitor needed.