Troy Reeder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rapp has been getting burned in coverage for 3 years now. And Reeder has left the middle of the defense wide open since he's been there.

Tano

Legend
And we've seen how limited Scott is... and Burgess can't even get on the field. While some people are looking at coaching as the issue there, I'd have to ask what information are they basing that on? I mean.. Fuller's taken a full step from last year, so the coaches are doing something right?

So.. your already light LB unit just got lighter and invites more running.
They're already basically running 4 linemen constantly on passing downs.. and didn't get much from it. Heck didn't seem to get much when they rushed 5.

I appreciate the effort.. but nothing on this looks to be a solution to me. Rapp's not good deep.. but relying on more Scott looks like every bit as much of a problem.

Oh.. and teams scheme off the man thing all the time. You can try to match up, but it doesn't always work. Look at how GB got Adams open on the goal line against Ramsey in the playoffs last year... because Scott didn't know his assignment (or at least that's what Ramsey's reaction would suggest).

Williams isn't showing me anything to believe putting him on an island is a good idea this year. This goes to my point... last year... teams knew JJ was coming over the top.. so Williams had help there and could play the shorter stuff better. Now? You want to count on Scott deep? Isn't that what happened with the long ball to Adams yesterday?
Ramsey should have been on Adams on that play. Let Fuller help Williams.

Rapp Jones and Reeder close to the line of scrimmage on first down with Rapp taking the TE on pass plays.

Hopefully Nick Scott can handle the slot receiver. Yes that is the one weakness. Maybe he can do it - don't know yet.

That's on first down. After that, it depends on the situation.

Plus mix it up. Don't let the other team know what you are going to do on every first down.

Move Rapp back and move Scott up.

Plus maybe you put Donte in as Deep Safety on some plays - he isn't a big tackler but he can cover.

Maybe blitz with Jones/Reeder.

Shuie3225

Starter
This is the conversation I'm looking for.
So.. you move Rapp closer to the line? That means you're fundamentally changing what you do to a one-high safety concept. Fuller's really good in his role, he's not a single high safety who can cover ground like Earl Thomas.
They also don't have the corners, outside of Ramsey to leave guys out on an island. Williams had that help over the top last year. That mattered.
What is Morris going to do? Replace Reeder with Howard?

I don't see there being quick fixes to Rapp and Reeder and think that trying to make teams earn it on long drives is actually the best way to stay in games. You move Rapp up and teams are going over the top on this D over and over.
There's no point in even talking about what should change because Morris wont change. If there was a week to change it was this week coming out of a bye. But nothing changed at all.

In a perfect world if you're insistent on keeping a 2-high shell, it should be Fuller and Burgess deep, and Rapp playing the 3rd safety in a LB role down closer to the LOS so Reeder can come off the field. Keeping Reeder on the field on pass downs is so unbelievably stupid. We traded Kenny Young for what reason? Money?? I dont buy that.. we could've maneuvered around in other ways, I mean he was on the roster for a half year already and we were fine financially. No, we made that move expecting Ernest Jones to replace Reeder and now what?? Jones isn't as good as you thought? I mean its just so idiotic what we did to ILB. But on known passing downs, Rapp should slide down to ILB and Reeder off the field.

But that being said, moving away from a 2-high shell is what best fits our defense. Keeping Fuller high and letting Rapp roam more or letting Burgess mix in more seems to fit better. But McVay wanted Morris to mirror Staley's scheme, and Morris cant adjust for shit. Not in-game, not in-between games. So we're stuck in this limbo of half-wannabe Staley scheme/ half-Morris shit show.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There's no point in even talking about what should change because Morris wont change. If there was a week to change it was this week coming out of a bye. But nothing changed at all.

In a perfect world if you're insistent on keeping a 2-high shell, it should be Fuller and Burgess deep, and Rapp playing the 3rd safety in a LB role down closer to the LOS so Reeder can come off the field. Keeping Reeder on the field on pass downs is so unbelievably stupid. We traded Kenny Young for what reason? Money?? I dont buy that.. we could've maneuvered around in other ways, I mean he was on the roster for a half year already and we were fine financially. No, we made that move expecting Ernest Jones to replace Reeder and now what?? Jones isn't as good as you thought? I mean its just so idiotic what we did to ILB. But on known passing downs, Rapp should slide down to ILB and Reeder off the field.

But that being said, moving away from a 2-high shell is what best fits our defense. Keeping Fuller high and letting Rapp roam more or letting Burgess mix in more seems to fit better. But McVay wanted Morris to mirror Staley's scheme, and Morris cant adjust for shit. Not in-game, not in-between games. So we're stuck in this limbo of half-wannabe Staley scheme/ half-Morris shit show.
And that's where it's *McVay's* defense. He wanted that "quarters" look to slow teams down because it slowed the Rams down.

People keep harping on Morris... it's McVay's scheme, not his.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I recall correctly, Kenny Young was not too bad in coverage. He was certainly a lot faster, at least. I wonder if the Rams are regretting this move?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect they missed on Burgess. He got jumped by a later round pick his first year and he couldn't beat out Rapp this year and Rapp is not a good fit for this scheme. So I have no faith in the guy until I see something from him on the field.

In preseason Hughes did some good things and it's why he made this roster. Mentioned this earlier this season when Rapp was playing exactly like he's playing now, of all these guys maybe Hughes can play opposite Fuller and at least give us someone with some instincts breaking on the ball.

Scott btw is very similar to Rapp. We basically have one guy deep who is good at the scheme IMO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I recall correctly, Kenny Young was not too bad in coverage. He was certainly a lot faster, at least. I wonder if the Rams are regretting this move?

He's balling OUT in Denver, by the way.

The minute he got in the locker room, apparently he said to the guys, "we're not losing" and their D has picked up quite a bit. My friend who's a diehard Broncos fan can't stop raving about his play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ouch...

signed - Snead and McVay
This is an example of them being too dismissive of a player.

Sure.. don’t invest too much in the ILB position… but don’t trade a guy who is playing very well & gets paid dick.

There has to be something going on behind the scenes with Young that we don't know about. There has to be...I can't believe the story about them saving money on a guy who makes so little. They could have restructured someone and had more space. The whole "He was going to leave as a UFA anyway" thing is BS too...we specifically get these rental guys BECAUSE they leave and get us compensation picks...so that doesn't fly with me. If I recall correctly, Young was the guy thrown out of a game for bumping the referee in the early part of the season...maybe he loses his shit behind the scenes...I don't know...but I do know that saving 700K was not the real reason they traded him.

Maybe he told Morris he was stupid or something...that I would buy.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There has to be something going on behind the scenes with Young that we don't know about. There has to be...I can't believe the story about them saving money on a guy who makes so little. They could have restructured someone and had more space. The whole "He was going to leave as a UFA anyway" thing is BS too...we specifically get these rental guys BECAUSE they leave and get us compensation picks...so that doesn't fly with me. If I recall correctly, Young was the guy thrown out of a game for bumping the referee in the early part of the season...maybe he loses his shit behind the scenes...I don't know...but I do know that saving 700K was not the real reason they traded him.

Maybe he told Morris he was stupid or something...that I would buy.
Imo Young was tied in somehow with acquisition of Miller, though the teams deny it (probably for some good reason.) Nothing else makes any sense.

dang

Legend
Imo Young was tied in somehow with acquisition of Miller, though the teams deny it (probably for some good reason.) Nothing else makes any sense.
Either Young was “too hard for the coaching staff to handle” or it was part of the deal to get Miller. Nothing else makes sense. Its obvious leaving the ILB position to Reeder (proven below average) and Jones (rookie) left the Rams soft in the middle but I do believe we will see Miller emerge into a solid contributor over the next couple of weeks.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Either Young was “too hard for the coaching staff to handle” or it was part of the deal to get Miller. Nothing else makes sense. Its obvious leaving the ILB position to Reeder (proven below average) and Jones (rookie) left the Rams soft in the middle but I do believe we will see Miller emerge into a solid contributor over the next couple of weeks.
When it comes to the roster.. “making sense” doesn’t always happen.
There doesn’t need to be any extra story around Young. They needed some cap space.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
This staff has too much faith in certain players at times.

Reeder is one of them. He's NEVER gonna be an ILB that can cover. Never.

It's a bad DC that schemes him to be one... which is why I feel like a charter member of the Fire Morris club...

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Don't blame Reeder or any other player on Defense, hell. The Rams begin the game in prevent defense and just stay there the whole game. And QB's are just killing them. The D line has no time to get pressure on the QB. PLAY SOME MAN ON MAN get up on the receivers and pressure them. Get physical. DAMN!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Don't blame Reeder or any other player on Defense, hell. The Rams begin the game in prevent defense and just stay there the whole game. And QB's are just killing them. The D line has no time to get pressure on the QB. PLAY SOME MAN ON MAN get up on the receivers and pressure them. Get physical. DAMN!

We'll, I'm on record as saying that our defensive scheme right now rivals the Schotty offensive schemes under Fisher for how bad they are and I will beat that horse carcass until it's just a stain on the pavement.