Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are kids who are having kids since the last 49ers & Cowboys Super Bowl wins. So I hope they continue to struggle at the Qb position.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I think QBs in general are way over valued at the top of the draft. If I liked a guy and needed one, I’d pick him at my spot. But these big trades using multiple future high picks seems crazy to me. Way too risky for me for such a wild card position like QB.

I’m more old school when it comes to QBs - draft & develop.

JYB

Starter
Did anyone here think that Lance was going to be a good QB? Would anyone have been excited if the Rams were the ones to trade up for Lance before the draft?

Be honest if you reply.
I disliked his throwing motion from the get-go, but figured the 49ers surely knew a lot more about the guy than we casual observers do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Granted they have not won the big prize thankfully, but they have been to the NFC Championship game 3 out of the last 4 years and One Super Bowl Appearance, IMO, that is pretty consistent. I would rather see them not that close.
They're a great bridesmaid :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did anyone here think that Lance was going to be a good QB? Would anyone have been excited if the Rams were the ones to trade up for Lance before the draft?

Be honest if you reply.
I'd have to look back thru threads but I seem to remember having concerns about his lack of games. He is/was a great athlete but don't remember being a big fan of him as a passer.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Disagree. You spent 3 first round picks for him and by golly, he needs to start until he proves he can't get the job done. :sunglasses:
Being behind Brock Purdy and Sam Darnold should be considered evidence as to whether or not Lance is getting the job done in Frisco. I hear you about the capital they used to get him....but at some point, you got to move on if it isn't working out. The longer you wait, the worse it will be.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They're a great bridesmaid :D
Simon Pegg Always The Bridesmaid Never The Bride GIF by BAFTA

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think QBs in general are way over valued at the top of the draft. If I liked a guy and needed one, I’d pick him at my spot. But these big trades using multiple future high picks seems crazy to me. Way too risky for me for such a wild card position like QB.

I’m more old school when it comes to QBs - draft & develop.
Yeah, it’s an enormous risk trading up for any QB, but a kid with such limited tape coming from a small school seemed like it was doomed from the start. I feel similarly about Anthony Richardson. He wasn’t impressive in college. I didn’t understand the hype. But NFL coaches are often arrogant and feel that they can coach a kid up, if he’s got the physical tools. That’s not always the case.

In the end, every team needs a good QB to be able to compete. Need can play tricks on the mind.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, it’s an enormous risk trading up for any QB, but a kid with such limited tape coming from a small school seemed like it was doomed from the start. I feel similarly about Anthony Richardson. He wasn’t impressive in college. I didn’t understand the hype. But NFL coaches are often arrogant and feel that they can coach a kid up, if he’s got the physical tools. That’s not always the case.

In the end, every team needs a good QB to be able to compete. Need can play tricks on the mind.
Maybe Richardson turns out to be good, but yeah… same red flags exist with him.

The best QB’s can read/react fast and be accurate with the ball. I think Lance sucks at both, but Richardson certainly has questions about the latter.

Accuracy is hard impossible to teach. That’s a born trait.

Start throwing INT’s and patience wears out fast.

Tano

Legend
Maybe Richardson turns out to be good, but yeah… same red flags exist with him.

The best QB’s can read/react fast and be accurate with the ball. I think Lance sucks at both, but Richardson certainly has questions about the latter.

Accuracy is hard impossible to teach. That’s a born trait.

Start throwing INT’s and patience wears out fast.
Depends on how the QB throws the ball. Josh Allen was inaccurate as hell his first couple of seasons. Then during the offseason, he worked on his throwing motion and now is one of the most accurate QBs in the league.

oldnotdead

Legend
Accuracy and arm strength are things that can be improved. Drew Brees was legitimately a second round talent when he was drafted. But he took Doug Fluties' advice and worked in the off season with among others Todd Durkins. A lot of inaccuracy comes from poor and inconsistent mechanics. Brees dramatically improved both his arm strength and accuracy simply by improving and being consistent with his mechanics. Durkins runs a training center in Scripps Ranch not far from NAS Mira Mar. Help is available if he simply makes it a priority. I remember how Brees related a mental drill he was given to improve his ability to read defenses. Basically the same drill his former teammate Philip Rivers learned from his coaching father.

IMO the failure to develop a QB is as much of a coaching failure as anything.

Tano

Legend
Accuracy and arm strength are things that can be improved. Drew Brees was legitimately a second round talent when he was drafted. But he took Doug Fluties' advice and worked in the off season with among others Todd Durkins. A lot of inaccuracy comes from poor and inconsistent mechanics. Brees dramatically improved both his arm strength and accuracy simply by improving and being consistent with his mechanics. Durkins runs a training center in Scripps Ranch not far from NAS Mira Mar. Help is available if he simply makes it a priority. I remember how Brees related a mental drill he was given to improve his ability to read defenses. Basically the same drill his former teammate Philip Rivers learned from his coaching father.

And also the willingness of the QB to improve himself (aka Murray who hasn't to this point - he is 100% athleticism right now)

And then there were the two biggest busts in the history of the game - Russell and Leaf

They basically got the money and never tried to improve themselves

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a great scene in the movie "The Natural" and I think it applies to most sports, but surely with some of the QB disasters and successes mentioned previously. While having a catch with a young Roy his dad says "You've got a gift Roy... but it's not enough - you've got to develop yourself. If you rely too much on your own gift... then... you'll fail."

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Knee sprain for Lance--already. Watched all of the Cards-Niners game. Like many on here, my main thought was, "there is no way Lance is going to last an entire season playing that way." Looks like Wentz 2.0.

Still believe this 18 months later. To my eye Lance is a better run threat than a pass threat, and he exposes himself to too much risk.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Quite frankly, I'm not sure how that kid got drafted in the 1st. The fact that the cousin fuckers paid premium picks to get him makes it even better. His throwing motion, lolz...... Nah fam. That's not it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I truly believe that Shanahan wanted Mac Jones, and then Lynch panicked and took Lance. Glad it worked out the way it did because Jones would have thrived in that system and Lance is not NFL caliber, at least not yet. I could see him being a functional player down the road if he puts the time in with a coaching staff, spends time possibly on a PS, or 3rd QB @ league min $$
All I see now is Bryce Perkins with a stronger arm
Would be hysterical if after he's released he ends up with McVay....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolute truth
Cant make chicken salad out of chicken shit (Wolford/Perkins) but when there is talent there, it has to be cultivated

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
He has not disappointed me at all. To date, I have been very satisfied with his Cuurent state of development.. I hope he blossoms once he leaves the whiners. That would be the cherry on top.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
When I saw the thread title, and before realizing it was an old thread, I was tempted to respond with "duh."