Titans Fire Mike Mularkey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can't wait to see the titans next season! And if I was McDaniels I would take the colts and Andrew luck over mariota

I'm not so sure, Luck's injury might be far worse than what is being reported....The Titans are much further along than the Colts and the Titan defense is better too with Casey up front. It will be interesting to see if Dick Lebeau retires because if I was McDaniels and I take the job, I would try to get John Fox as DC, but we shall see how this plays out.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I didn't know that Mularkey wasn't doing a good job until I saw Titan fans comments after we beat them.

Still, who else lets go of a HC after getting in the playoffs... and even winning one? Can't remember that happening.

Mariota with little hoodie's offense? Good luck learning calculus!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I didn't know that Mularkey wasn't doing a good job until I saw Titan fans comments after we beat them.

Still, who else lets go of a HC after getting in the playoffs... and even winning one? Can't remember that happening.

Walt Michaels took the New York Jets to the AFC Championship game in 1982 and was replaced by Offensive Coordinator Joe Walton in 1983....The Los Angeles Rams won the NFL Championship Game in 1951 and replaced Head Coach Joe Stydahar with Hamp Pool in 1952.

fa_1562_1950ramscoaches1940.jpg

Joe Stydahar in front holding pencil, Hamp Pool backfield Coach behind him.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
As soon as you saw that quote that Mularky was happy with Mariota's progress and he was not changing his staff, you knew he might get axed

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Michaels quit though, wasnt fired. He was burnt out

Actually it was a combination, he got drunk on the plane home from Miami and created a scene, so that is the direction the Jets went, but they did not want to lose Joe Walton, who was going to be hired by the Atlanta Falcons back then.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They knew all along that it was McDaniels preferred job. He is close friends with John Robinson.

Well, then I guess Jon Robinson was waiting for Mularkey to lose and at the end the Titans won to get into post season and then beat the hapless Chiefs, thus setting up the opportunity this week. I guess if the Titans had been close in the game, they might of had no alternative, but I understand that Jon Robinson wants to hire his own Head Coach.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Mariota with little hoodie's offense? Good luck learning calculus!

AJ Smith fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 regular season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually it was a combination, he got drunk on the plane home from Miami and created a scene, so that is the direction the Jets went, but they did not want to lose Joe Walton, who was going to be hired by the Atlanta Falcons back then.
He was never gonna get fired though. He was a MESS in the playoffs.
Marty Shottenheimer though, goes 14-2 and gets fired. Wow

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just don't understand why McDaniels would want the Titans over, say the New York Giants! Lots of reason to take the Giants job! JMHO!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree with this firing. Mularkey isn't head coaching material IMO. He will go enrich a staff somewhere as OC though, where he's best served. This is no different than Whisenhunt being fired so early, and MM just learned that what comes around goes around.

Also in spite of the talent there in Tennessee, it won't be the top coveted job due to questions with the QB as well as the seeming impatience of the front office.

Josh McDaniels covets this job, per Ian Rappaport

I seriously doubt that McDaniels wants to suffer through the minefield brought on by an inaccurate QB whose legs are his best asset. He suffered through that in Denver (when he actually won some games with Tebow).

Best job will either be one that has a QB he can develop in place, OR a very high pick that he can bring around. Also he might strongly consider a team if they convince him they're serious about bringing in a FA QB of sufficient quality, since Brees might hit the market and Cousins certainly will.

This offseason is going to be one of the most tumultuous ever in terms of QB turnover and fortunes of many teams will be affected.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Can't wait to see the titans next season! And if I was McDaniels I would take the colts and Andrew luck over mariota
The problem with the Colts is, all they have is Luck. They're not a very good team.
Titans have far more talent overall imo.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McDaniels is a horrible fit for the Titans. He will find out his QB doesn't have 4 to 6 seconds back there for the plays to develop.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: the Colts the QB options are live. Not only do they have Andrew Luck, but they also pick 3rd overall in the strongest QB draft in many years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure what to think of Mariota.

Sometimes I like him. Sometimes he looks like he's missing something, to me.

I'd probably avoid the risk with him, especially since McDaniels should pretty much have his pick of jobs. Indy feels safer, at least at QB, assuming Luck is okay.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure what to think of Mariota.

Sometimes I like him. Sometimes he looks like he's missing something, to me.

I'd probably avoid the risk with him, especially since McDaniels should pretty much have his pick of jobs. Indy feels safer, at least at QB, assuming Luck is okay.

But that's the rub CGI...no one knows at this point if Luck is healthy enough to play next year let alone at the same level he once did. The risk is huge because nothing is known. And, sure, the Colts have the 3rd pick but do they go QB only to have him sit behind a healthy Luck when they have holes all over their lineup or do they try to fill some of the holes ( a trade back would be a no brainer for this team) and then find out that Luck is outta luck and can't play?
Do they really want to go forward with Jacoby Brissett as the face of the franchise?

Factoring all of this in the cake the Titan job starts to look a bit better if for no other reason than the risk is a known and manageable.

~ArkyRamsFan~