Titans Fire Mike Mularkey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reported by the NFL Network

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Josh McDaniels covets this job, per Ian Rappaport

Psycho_X

Legend
Er, ok. Guess they just wanted to give him a bonus years pay? Owners need to make up their damn minds lol. But Titans fans will be happy. He wasn't doing that offense any favors.

The Ramowl

Starter
They might be right about saying he is not making the most of that group, but I always despise teams that fire coaches after they showed good results (not excellent, but still made it to the divisional round) because they think they can get even more out of someone else.

For that, I hope they go back to being irrelevant next year when the Texans get their QB back and Jacksonville rides their Defense to a second AFC South title.

Might be a really good division overall next year though

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Er, ok. Guess they just wanted to give him a bonus years pay? Owners need to make up their damn minds lol. But Titans fans will be happy. He wasn't doing that offense any favors.
I guess Mularkey didn't want to change his offensive coordinator and wasn't concerned with the regression of Marcus Mariota...Upper Management wasn't cool with that, AND they must have felt that Josh McDaniels could be had, per Ian R.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait wasn't he given an extension the other day?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My God, what does a Coach have to do? Now, I was totally shocked the Titans kept Mike Mularkey, but Mariota really wanted him back, they are now reporting they mutually parted ways...Good job @LoyalRam it appears they really want McDaniels and are going to steal him from the Colts.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Titans, Mike Mularkey mutually agree to part ways

Mike Mularkey has agreed to part ways with the Tennessee Titans, who announced Monday that the sides "couldn't come to an agreement over the future."

Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk acknowledged in a statement that the organization has been discussing a potential contract extension with Mularkey, who coached Tennessee to its first postseason appearance since 2008.

But the talks revealed that Mularkey and the Titans "saw different paths to achieve greater success," according to Adams Strunk. General manager Jon Robinson is expected to address the decision during a news conference later Monday.

"It is certainly unfortunate that we couldn't find enough common ground," Adams Strunk said. "I generally believe that continuity is the best path for success, but I also view this as an important moment for our football team as we try to make that next step to sustained success on the field. Jon will begin the search immediately to identify that person."

Mularkey, 56, went 20-21 in parts of three seasons with the Titans and guided Tennessee to back-to-back 9-7 records in his two years as the team's full-time head coach. He had been under contract through the end of the 2018 season.

The Titans ended an eight-year postseason drought and won a playoff game for the first time since 2003 with their 22-21 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in the wild-card round earlier this month.

But Tennessee was eliminated Saturday with a 35-14 loss to the New England Patriots.

"I want to thank Mike Mularkey for his contributions to our franchise over his tenure with our organization," Adams Strunk said. "He took over our team during a low moment and together with Jon built a solid foundation for our franchise. I appreciated that Mike devoted himself to this team and the community."

ESPN's Field Yates and Cameron Wolfe contributed to this report.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22108396/tennessee-titans-mike-mularkey-mutually-agree-part-ways

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both agreed to part ways.
Still, they signed him to an extension or did they just offer him one and he turned it down? That would be the ultimate Browns maneuver to sign a coach to an extension then agree to part ways.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like he didn’t want to fire his OC. I wonder if the Titans knew he wouldn’t. They wanted him out. He wins a playoff game as the underdog. They suddenly say, “Oh shit, we can’t fire him now. The fans will freak. How can we get him to quit.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like he didn’t want to fire his OC. I wonder if the Titans knew he wouldn’t. They wanted him out. He wins a playoff game as the underdog. They suddenly say, “Oh crap, we can’t fire him now. The fans will freak. How can we get him to quit.”
Yeah that's what I'm reading from some Titans fans. They wanted him to change his offensive coaching staff and he refused so they parted ways.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
What do these owners expect?

You were horrible 2 years ago , now 2 straight winning seasons under this coach . This team was built for mularkys offense , pound the ball all game and use your running qb.

Not the coaches fault the qb can't stay healrhy and that your best offensive player was hurt during the playoffs .

Good luck to their new coach, this team has a big o line and is built to run the ball, that's not the McDaniels way .

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sounds like he didn’t want to fire his OC. I wonder if the Titans knew he wouldn’t. They wanted him out. He wins a playoff game as the underdog. They suddenly say, “Oh crap, we can’t fire him now. The fans will freak. How can we get him to quit.”

If McDaniels covets that job, there must have been a conversation between him and GM Jon Robinson behind closed doors after the game or somebody on behalf of McDaniels because like the Oakland scenario, IMO, the Titans don't fire or part ways with Mularkey unless they know they can land McDaniels, which would trump the Colts, who IMO, hire Mike Vrabel most likely.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If McDaniels covets that job, there must have been a conversation between him and GM Jon Robinson behind closed doors after the game or somebody on behalf of McDaniels because like the Oakland scenario, IMO, the Titans don't fire or part ways with Mularkey unless they know they can land McDaniels, which would trump the Colts, who IMO, hire Mike Vrabel most likely.

They knew all along that it was McDaniels preferred job. He is close friends with John Robinson.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What do these owners expect?

You were horrible 2 years ago , now 2 straight winning seasons under this coach . This team was built for mularkys offense , pound the ball all game and use your running qb.

Not the coaches fault the qb can't stay healrhy and that your best offensive player was hurt during the playoffs .

Good luck to their new coach, this team has a big o line and is built to run the ball, that's not the McDaniels way .

Reminds of a time at the University of Memphis, I don't know why I remember this, but being that I was interested in becoming a football coach and just started during this time, I never forgot this....Chuck Stobart was the Head Coach of Memphis (1989=1994) and had just finished his third straight season of 6-5 and was fired with the Athletic Director stating "We are tired of being 6-5 and we as a university feel we are better than 6-5." They hired Rip Scherer to replace Stobart and the best that Scherer did in his five years was 4-7....I never forgot that!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Reminds of a time at the University of Memphis, I don't know why I remember this, but being that I was interested in becoming a football coach and just started during this time, I never forgot this....Chuck Stobart was the Head Coach of Memphis (1989=1994) and had just finished his third straight season of 6-5 and was fired with the Athletic Director stating "We are tired of being 6-5 and we as a university feel we are better than 6-5." They hired Rip Scherer to replace Stobart and the best that Scherer did in his five years was 4-7....I never forgot that!
Can't wait to see the titans next season! And if I was McDaniels I would take the colts and Andrew luck over mariota