Time for a plan B

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scenerio 2:

Houston is on the clock. Snisher calls and says "We will give you 2 and a 5th and 7th round."

What would the Rams have to lose? If Houston wants Clowney so badly they won't trade, the answer is no thanks. If they are torn about who to pick, Rams could tip the scales and lock up Clowney.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Scenerio 2:

Houston is on the clock. Snisher calls and says "We will give you 2 and a 5th and 7th round."

What would the Rams have to lose? If Houston wants Clowney so badly they won't trade, the answer is no thanks. If they are torn about who to pick, Rams could tip the scales and lock up Clowney.
I'm guessing, and this is a wild guess....that you REALLY want Clowney now.(y)

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't think the Falcons are that wishy-washy, but if they were, I don't think they would accept a 5th. They would ask for a 2nd. I like what you are getting at, and it's intriguing, i just don't think it's probable. If it WAS probable, I'd think about it.

You mean Houston I think.

The point is they just have to make the threat. If they want a QB, the Rams would give up a 5th and 7th at the drop of a hat for a lock on Clowney IMHO. Rams call their bluff and don't trade and Houston does take Clowney, you are stuck over-drafting someone. Still not bad, but a lock on Clowney is worth a small sacrifice.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm guessing, and this is a wild guess....that you REALLY want Clowney now.(y)

I think Clowney is the only player worthy of 2. Yes. I think after Clowney you can move down and do very well but I don't think anyone 3-6 will trade with the Rams because the draft is so deep.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would reply you can go get fucked your not getting our 2nd rounder.

No, not 2nd rounder, no way. I mean 1st round 2nd spot. They give Rams 1st overall and we give them 2nd overall and a 5th and 7th rounder.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
No, not 2nd rounder, no way. I mean 1st round 2nd spot. They give Rams 1st overall and we give them 2nd overall and a 5th and 7th rounder.

If they really want clowney then yes I would do that in a heart beat.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If they really want clowney then yes I would do that in a heart beat.

Yes, that is the caveat, they have to really want Clowney. If they don't they stay or trade down if they can.

But in any case, Clowney won't be there at 2 I don't believe. Some team will give up a bounty for him and Houston will bite because the QBs aren't going to go fast IMHO.

they KNOW Rams won't take a QB so if Jacksonville wants Clowney and will pay well, it's a lock. Even further down if they are convinced the guy they want isn't at the top of other teams' lists. Even if they don't get the QB they want, they can get a good QB and a bounty.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yes, that is the caveat, they have to really want Clowney. If they don't they stay or trade down if they can.

But in any case, Clowney won't be there at 2 I don't believe. Some team will give up a bounty for him and Houston will bite because the QBs aren't going to go fast IMHO.

Im just still not convinced that these QBs are gonna fall like everybody says. I still think Bortles and Manziel will be top 5 picks

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You mean Houston I think.

The point is they just have to make the threat. If they want a QB, the Rams would give up a 5th and 7th at the drop of a hat for a lock on Clowney IMHO. Rams call their bluff and don't trade and Houston does take Clowney, you are stuck over-drafting someone. Still not bad, but a lock on Clowney is worth a small sacrifice.
Yes, I meant Houston, but I think you could almost substitute any team and my statement would still be accurate. I think there are 3 or 4 elite players in this draft, so I don't think we'd be over-drafting at #2. My main point is, in case you missed it, was that I wouldn't give up the 2nd rounder that they would need to make the deal.

Now, if we had Clowney, far and above, as the #1 overall talent with a wide separation, then I still think we'd covet our top picks this year, because we still have needs, and we have to hit on them to make sure our team gets exponentially better. I don't think you do that by giving up valued draft picks for a player, even as good as him, for a position that is undoubtedly our biggest strength already.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Scenerio 2:

Well well

I would flip the flip;

Make that trade then flip the #1 pick to the highest bidder for a 2nd rounder and a 1st rounder in 2015.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Im just still not convinced that these QBs are gonna fall like everybody says. I still think Bortles and Manziel will be top 5 picks

They leave spot 1 because some team wants Clowney. Guaranteed the Rams won't take a QB. Now you get Bortles or Manziel guaranteed at 3 or 4 AND a bounty.

That's what I'm laying down.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yes, I meant Houston, but I think you could almost substitute any team and my statement would still be accurate. I think there are 3 or 4 elite players in this draft, so I don't think we'd be over-drafting at #2. My main point is, in case you missed it, was that I wouldn't give up the 2nd rounder that they would need to make the deal.

Now, if we had Clowney, far and above, as the #1 overall talent with a wide separation, then I still think we'd covet our top picks this year, because we still have needs, and we have to hit on them to make sure our team gets exponentially better. I don't think you do that by giving up valued draft picks for a player, even as good as him, for a position that is undoubtedly our biggest strength already.

I'm not proposing a 2nd rounder. 2nd position for 1st position overall plus the Rams throw in a 5th and 7th rounder.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
They leave spot 1 because some team wants Clowney. Guaranteed the Rams won't take a QB. Now you get Bortles or Manziel guaranteed at 3 or 4 AND a bounty.

That's what I'm laying down.

If Bortles and Manziel go 3 and 4 its not gonna be to the texans, I cant see the Jags or Cleavland trading up for clowney so say falcons trade up with texans for clowney, rams cant trade down they take Watkins or one of the OTs the Jags draft bortles Cleavland drafts Manziel and the Texans are screwed if one of those to is the guy they want.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
So here's a possible scenario I see playing out in it's most simplified manner:

Texans are on the clock. They call Snisher and say "We are torn between Clowney and QB X. We've decided on Clowney unless you give us 2 and a 5th and 7th."

You're Snisher, what do you do?

Giggle and hang up the phone.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Texans are on the clock. They call Snisher and say "We are torn between Clowney and QB X. We've decided on Clowney unless you give us 2 and a 5th and 7th."

I think you HAVE to trade if it's reasonable. You get Clowney and give up little in return. You still have a second 1st round pick and 8 more picks. No one could ever fault you for taking the consensus #1 nor would it be a bad move at all in my mind. As Snisher, I would be ecstatic to get Clowney and another blue chip at 13 or earlier.

I laugh and say "get fucking serious" before sending them highlights of Quinn and Long.

He's a good player but we have other needs to hit before adding to arguably our biggest strength as a team.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I think you HAVE to trade if it's reasonable. You get Clowney and give up little in return. You still have a second 1st round pick and 8 more picks. No one could ever fault you for taking the consensus #1 nor would it be a bad move at all in my mind. As Snisher, I would be ecstatic to get Clowney and another blue chip at 13 or earlier.

Laugh out loud and then tell them to get off the line and let's serious bidders talk about the #2 overall selection.
IMO, the Rams should take Clowney at #2 overall. But, no way in hell should they trade up for him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Bortles and Manziel go 3 and 4 its not gonna be to the texans, I cant see the Jags or Cleavland trading up for clowney so say falcons trade up with texans for clowney, rams cant trade down they take Watkins or one of the OTs the Jags draft bortles Cleavland drafts Manziel and the Texans are screwed if one of those to is the guy they want.

Fair enough.

BUT basicly, if Houston doesn't want Clowney and they are happy with either QB, they COULD trade with Rams, Jags, or Browns and lose nothing. After that it's a gamble. BUT if some coach shits the bed and offers an RG3 like trade, say Atlanta, does Houston go for it? Do they covet that QB so much they won't take an RG3 type deal?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

No thanks we don't want him that bad the value is not there and we can get a HOF guy at #2

RamzFanz

Damnit
I laugh and say "get freaking serious" before sending them highlights of Quinn and Long.

He's a good player but we have other needs to hit before adding to arguably our biggest strength as a team.

Assuming Snisher really wants Clowney, what then?