Time for a plan B

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
At this point, with Clowney's performances at the combine and pro day, I can't see a scenario where he doesn't go #1.

These are the only ways it can play out in my humble opinion:

1) Texans take him.

2) Texans want a QB so they use Clowney as the bait and trade down believing their guy will be there at 2-6. Too many teams would want Clowney at this point for a trade not to happen if the Texans want it.

3) Rams want him enough they trade up with Texans. I don't know if that's even a possibility but it WOULD give the Texans the QB they want guaranteed and more picks.

Rams are not in a bad position now with the rise of Clowney as the consensus #1, but they were in a better position before with Clowney on the board as their pick or as trade bait.

The problem the Rams now have is who would trade with them and for whom? Is Watkins coveted enough? A QB? Does any team 3 through 6 feel like they would have to trade up to get what they need/want?

I don't think so and I can't see Rams going any further back than that. The only hope left for me is that the Texans don't ask much for a trade with the Rams because they are still locked to get their favorite QB. I would give them the 2 and the Rams' extra 5 and one of the 7s.

My new and ever changing opinion is the Rams trade up for Clowney or are forced to pick at 2, take Watkins, and move up from 13 for Mathews or Robinson. The secondary will have to wait for round 2. Instead of 12 picks, I'm guessing they end up with 7-8, and maybe even lose a 2015 pick, but still come away stacked with new talent.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
When you have the 2nd and 13th pick in this deep of a draft theres no outcome here that would put us in a bad position. If we cant trade down then so be it. it will be awful having to pick between Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews and at 13 there will be more blue chip players staring us in the face. And who knows we may end up trading the 13th and not the 2nd. The beat writers in houston still seem pretty certain that the texans are using that number one pick and its gonna be for a QB not clowney.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
All possible and now we only have 33 days and change left to wait until we have a clue.

I don't see the value in Clowney for a Rams trade up and I'm still not convinced he is the consensus #1. Still lots of time and opportunity for someone to make a move.

My hope is still for a trade with either Cleveland or Atlanta to get an additional 2nd round pick. Matthews with first pick and then???????????

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you have the 2nd and 13th pick in this deep of a draft theres no outcome here that would put us in a bad position. If we cant trade down then so be it. it will be awful having to pick between Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews and at 13 there will be more blue chip players staring us in the face. And who knows we may end up trading the 13th and not the 2nd. The beat writers in houston still seem pretty certain that the texans are using that number one pick and its gonna be for a QB not clowney.

I agree that the Rams are still in a great position. I just think they likely won't get Clowney because some team will trade up to get him and no team in a position 3-6 will want to trade up with the Rams.

Just my opinion based upon:

1) The renewed popularity of Clowney
2) The perceived weakness of the QB class allowing the Texans to move down and still get their man
3) The depth of the draft overall making 2 less important for a team 3-6 getting a good selection

RamzFanz

Damnit
All possible and now we only have 33 days and change left to wait until we have a clue.

I don't see the value in Clowney for a Rams trade up and I'm still not convinced he is the consensus #1. Still lots of time and opportunity for someone to make a move.

My hope is still for a trade with either Cleveland or Atlanta to get an additional 2nd round pick. Matthews with first pick and then???????????

I would trade up if the trade was relatively cheap. It's a good spot for Texans if they want a QB. They get exactly who they want guaranteed and a bonus pick or two and Rams get Clowney. Both the Rams and Texans could get what they want and the Rams could be very cheap because the Texans are giving up nothing at all if they want a QB.

My concern with a trade down is who would Atlanta and Cleveland want badly enough to give up picks in this deep draft?

In your scenario though, I go Watkins if he's there, Mathews or Robinson if he's not. 13 gets murky for me but I would trade up or BPA.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I still think these teams that need and want one of these QBs early are gonna fall in love with one of them and be to paranoid to sit back and hope there guy doesnt get drafted before he gets to them or worry about sombody else jumping in front of them and grabbing the QB that they want. We may not get an RG3 haul but I bet we can at least get a 2nd rounder this year and a future 2nd or 3rd rounder. If clowney drops to 2 then ATL is gonna send us a trade offer to sweet to pass up, if not then we just draft clowney and move on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
At this point, with Clowney's performances at the combine and pro day, I can't see a scenario where he doesn't go #1.

These are the only ways it can play out in my humble opinion:

1) Texans take him.

2) Texans want a QB so they use Clowney as the bait and trade down believing their guy will be there at 2-6. Too many teams would want Clowney at this point for a trade not to happen if the Texans want it.

3) Rams want him enough they trade up with Texans. I don't know if that's even a possibility but it WOULD give the Texans the QB they want guaranteed and more picks.

Rams are not in a bad position now with the rise of Clowney as the consensus #1, but they were in a better position before with Clowney on the board as their pick or as trade bait.

The problem the Rams now have is who would trade with them and for whom? Is Watkins coveted enough? A QB? Does any team 3 through 6 feel like they would have to trade up to get what they need/want?

I don't think so and I can't see Rams going any further back than that. The only hope left for me is that the Texans don't ask much for a trade with the Rams because they are still locked to get their favorite QB. I would give them the 2 and the Rams' extra 5 and one of the 7s.

My new and ever changing opinion is the Rams trade up for Clowney or are forced to pick at 2, take Watkins, and move up from 13 for Mathews or Robinson. The secondary will have to wait for round 2. Instead of 12 picks, I'm guessing they end up with 7-8, and maybe even lose a 2015 pick, but still come away stacked with new talent.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I would trade up if the trade was relatively cheap. It's a good spot for Texans if they want a QB. They get exactly who they want guaranteed and a bonus pick or two and Rams get Clowney. Both the Rams and Texans could get what they want and the Rams could be very cheap because the Texans are giving up nothing at all if they want a QB.

My concern with a trade down is who would Atlanta and Cleveland want badly enough to give up picks in this deep draft?

In your scenario though, I go Watkins if he's there, Mathews or Robinson if he's not. 13 gets murky for me but I would trade up or BPA.

Im pretty sure ATL is going for clowney first then either Robinson or Matthews for a fall back plan. The browns have Joe Thomas so I cant see them going anwhere but a QB or Watkins. either way if we trade down with either one of them Watkins,Robinson, or Matthews one of those 3 will be there for us.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Maybe it's just me but I'm not completely sold that the Texans select Clowney.

Your not alone. All the main guys that cover the Texans are still screaming theres no way the dont draft a QB with the first pick unless they get a great deal to trade down.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I still think these teams that need and want one of these QBs early are gonna fall in love with one of them and be to paranoid to sit back and hope there guy doesnt get drafted before he gets to them or worry about sombody else jumping in front of them and grabbing the QB that they want. We may not get an RG3 haul but I bet we can at least get a 2nd rounder this year and a future 2nd or 3rd rounder. If clowney drops to 2 then ATL is gonna send us a trade offer to sweet to pass up, if not then we just draft clowney and move on.

I just can't see the Texans taking a QB straight up. They can basically force a trade on the Rams and still get their QB or they can trade down with a team wanting Clowney and still get a good QB and a bounty of picks.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We don't NEED Clowney, he would be a luxury. Other teams need a guy like him. If he`s there at #2 I don't think its a slam dunk we take him. I think everyone in the org has repeatedly said O-Line, Safety, CB- top three needs.
Not a big deal or need to the degree that we`d ever think about moving up to get him, that would be wasteful IMO.
We're in a great spot - we just let the draft come to us like last year

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We don't NEED Clowney, he would be a luxury. Other teams need a guy like him. If he`s there at #2 I don't think its a slam dunk we take him. I think everyone in the org has repeatedly said O-Line, Safety, CB- top three needs.
Not a big deal or need to the degree that we`d ever think about moving up to get him, that would be wasteful IMO.
We're in a great spot - we just let the draft come to us like last year

No we dont need him but it sure wouldnt be a bad thing to have a legandary Dline because thats exactly what it would be. 20 years from now they would be doing a documentary on the awsomeness of that line. What would be there nickname??

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would keep the #2 unless we can stay in the top 6, and have a good gauge on a player that we'd covet would be there. I'd would aggressively try to move out of the #13, if I could get a future #1, or current 2nd rounder, and still stay in the 15 - 22 range, unless a player falls that is too good to pass up. I'd never in a million years trade to #1 overall to select Clowney, but I'd darn sure consider taking him, if he's there, at #2 overall. If we did that, I'd use the #13 and a future pick to to try to trade back up to get Matthews.

After that scenario, I'd do whatever it took to get one of the best safeties, or corners left in the draft, or even pick multiples, but I'd also pick the best OT/G available at some point. We can't use all of our draft picks, they won't all make the roster, not even close, so I'd be looking to get 4 or 5 of the best players that I could find.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
No we dont need him but it sure wouldnt be a bad thing to have a legandary Dline because thats exactly what it would be. 20 years from now they would be doing a documentary on the awsomeness of that line. What would be there nickname??
The Gravediggers!!!!

Seriously though, if we go after him I think its with eyes on not re-upping Long in the future moreso than trying to create a crazy dline

RamzFanz

Damnit
So here's a possible scenario I see playing out in it's most simplified manner:

Texans are on the clock. They call Snisher and say "We are torn between Clowney and QB X. We've decided on Clowney unless you give us 2 and a 5th and 7th."

You're Snisher, what do you do?

I think you HAVE to trade if it's reasonable. You get Clowney and give up little in return. You still have a second 1st round pick and 8 more picks. No one could ever fault you for taking the consensus #1 nor would it be a bad move at all in my mind. As Snisher, I would be ecstatic to get Clowney and another blue chip at 13 or earlier.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Gravediggers!!!!

Seriously though, if we go after him I think its with eyes on not re-upping Long in the future moreso than trying to create a crazy dline

Gravediggers! Awesome!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The Gravediggers!!!!

I like that. I was thinking the QB Killers but I dont think that would go over real well today. I could see long hanging around even with clowney hes 28 years old by the time we were gonna have to reup clowney chris long might be on the decline enough that he would be willing to take a huge pay cut just to stay here and be part of the Dline rotation and retire a Ram.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Texans are on the clock. They call Snisher and say "We are torn between Clowney and QB X. We've decided on Clowney unless you give us 2 and a 5th and 7th."

I think you HAVE to trade if it's reasonable. You get Clowney and give up little in return. You still have a second 1st round pick and 8 more picks. No one could ever fault you for taking the consensus #1 nor would it be a bad move at all in my mind. As Snisher, I would be ecstatic to get Clowney and another blue chip at 13 or earlier.
I don't think the Falcons are that wishy-washy, but if they were, I don't think they would accept a 5th. They would ask for a 2nd. I like what you are getting at, and it's intriguing, i just don't think it's probable. If it WAS probable, I'd think about it.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

I would reply you can go get fucked your not getting our 2nd rounder.