The state of the Los Angeles Rams offensive line heading into preseason action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

State of the Los Angeles Rams offensive line heading into preseason action

Is the offensive line actually a strength?
By Christopher Daniel Aug 13, 2021

NFL: Los Angeles Rams Training Camp

Despite returning four starters on what was Pro Football Focus’ third ranked offensive line to conclude the 2020 season, the Los Angeles Rams once again begin the season with a bombardment of questions for the position group tasked with protecting quarterback Matthew Stafford and opening rushing lanes for running back Darrell Henderson and company.

Losing former starting center Austin Blythe was a bit of a disappointment. Combine that with the fact that L.A. didn’t invest any 2021 draft capital up front, and you have a situation that has drawn the ire from a significant portion of the Los Angeles fan base.

Projected Regular Season Starters

LT Andrew Whitworth 6’7 330 pounds

• 16 years of NFL experience
  • 2 years remaining on contract
OL_WHIT.JPG

While Whitworth may officially have two years left on his contract, he has publicly stated that this may in fact be his last season in the NFL. Still among the best at his position at 39 years old, “Big Whit” can still be trusted to protect Stafford’s blindside, only surrendering two total sacks since 2019. His leadership and role as a mentor is immeasurable and is most certainly needed in getting the younger reserve offensive lineman ready to play in the near future.

LG David Edwards 6’6 308 pounds

• 3 years of NFL experience
OL_DE.JPG

Edwards is a solid, and possibly underrated starting left guard. He may not blow you away but he does his job well and efficiently. The former high school option quarterback is fairly athletic for his size and has used his versatility and high football IQ to carve out a role in Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense. Ranking 17th out of 80 guards in 2020, Edward’s best football is almost certainly in front of him.

C Brian Allen 6’6 308 pounds

• 4 years of NFL experience
  • 1 year remaining on contract
OL_BA.JPG

Everyone’s favorite offensive lineman returns to a starting role in 2021 after missing all of last season while rehabbing a gruesome knee injury that included a torn MCL, torn meniscus, and fractured tibia. Allen struggled during 2019 and there really isn’t a way to sugarcoat that. On the flip side, imagine if he actually improves and becomes a competent starter. If new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry can develop the former Michigan State Spartan into a legit player, this offensive line becomes borderline elite.

RG Austin Corbett 6’4 306 pounds

OL_AC.JPG

Corbett balled out last season, especially in the run game. There is certainly room for improvement in his pass blocking, which should be expected to progress with another season under his belt. He is a key contributor on the offensive line and is deserving of an extension. In my opinion, General Manager Les Snead may want to think about a contract extension now before Corbett prices himself out of Los Angeles with a third consecutive successful season, in what is a contract year.

RT Rob Havenstein 6’8 330 pounds

• 7 years of NFL experience
OL_RH.JPG

Havenstein had a much needed bounce back year. While he did surrender the most pressures and sacks on the team, Havenstein still graded out as the 14th best tackle in the league, mostly due to his run blocking. The longest tenured offensive player on the Rams is not going to manhandle most of his competition in 2021 but he isn’t going to be a liability either.

Backups with Starting Experience

LT Joe Noteboom 6’5 321 pounds​

Noteboom is another versatile lineman, starting at both left guard and left tackle during the 2020 campaign. While the Plano, Texas native struggled early in the season at guard, he played very well filling in for Whitworth at his natural left tackle position, allowing only on sack in the final nine games he played. This is another lineman I would like to see with horns on his helmet beyond the 2021 season

LG Bobby Evans 6’4 312 pounds​

• 3 years of NFL experience
Evans played in three games in 2020, including starting against the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Divisional round. He struggled mightily. I’d expect to see him play a lot during the preseason, as he needs more live reps.

Reserves That Should Get Plenty of Reps During Preseason

RT Tremayne Anchrum Jr. 6’2 314 pounds​

C Coleman Shelton 6’4 299 pounds​

RT Chandler Brewer 6’6 320 pounds​

I am probably most excited to see how Anchrum does this preseason. He has the college pedigree for sure and I am intrigued to see how he has developed after a full offseason.
Shelton and Brewer are more than likely competing for the last spot in the offensive line group. Nothing like some job on the line competition playing out on national television!

Practice Squad Candidates

LG Jeremiah Kolone 6’3 316 pounds​

OL Jordan Meredith 6’3 300 pounds​

OL Max Pircher 6’7 300 pounds​

OL Ryan Pope 6/7 315 pounds​

Out of this group, I want to see Pircher and Pope the most. We may not get to see them much on Saturday when the Los Angeles Rams host the LA Chargers but definitely expect this group to get reps as the preseason rolls on.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Did the LA Rams stumble into bookend OTs of the future?​

by Bret Stuter
You know I think it's kind of funny they didn't mention Pircher in that article. Because if he works out down the road he'll definitely be a guy the Rams "stumbled" into.

Anchrum took almost every snap with the 2nd team in TC for good reason. His fundementals are outstanding, quick kick slide and hand placement, sinks his hips and long arms makes DE go wide. Quicker off the snap than Havenstien. Held up well vs 1st team OL in TC (mainly DE Floyd).
Yeah I think Anchrum is a core guy for next year. Evans likely is too. So they'll definitely be saying goodbye to Corbs in FA.

Their model seems to be "pay two OL." Right now those are the bookends. So if Whit retires then maybe they elect to keep Corbs or bring in a FA for next season. And they should be drafting the next gen of depth too if the trend continues.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You know I think it's kind of funny they didn't mention Pircher in that article. Because if he works out down the road he'll definitely be a guy the Rams "stumbled" into.

Yeah I think Anchrum is a core guy for next year. Evans likely is too. So they'll definitely be saying goodbye to Corbs in FA.

Their model seems to be "pay two OL." Right now those are the bookends. So if Whit retires then maybe they elect to keep Corbs or bring in a FA for next season. And they should be drafting the next gen of depth too if the trend continues.
Have we seen any real positive write-ups from anyone on OL Bobby Evans in TC @ OG?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

"I'm always competing with myself" | 10 Things with Coleman Shelton

Each week I interview a different Rams player to find out about their lives on the field as well as off it. This week, OL Coleman Shelton shares what his offseason looks like, the movies he geeks out about, and his goal for this season.

Aug 13, 2021 at 07:55 AM
Sarina Morales
Team Reporter
210813_10Things_Shelton(16x9)

1: Up north
Sarina:
What does the offseason look like for you?
Coleman: I usually come back up to Seattle because I played at University of Washington, obviously, and my fiancé would like to live up here in the offseason because she still works up here. She comes down in-season and works remote, but it's always fun to come back up here and see some friends and I like training up here.

2: Trey!
Sarina:
You're from Pasadena. You went to Loyola High School. Stereotypically speaking, offensive linemen are usually from the Midwest. Do you get called out for that?
Coleman: Funny, a lot of a lot of people say "I didn't think you were from L.A." But, both my parents are from different areas. My dad's from Tennessee and my mom's from Virginia, and they ended up out here. L.A. is where I was raised, and I loved it. I loved growing up in LA. And, yeah, I'm an offensive lineman but you know I still like to surf and go out and swim and stuff, so it's a good time.

3: Man with a Vans
Sarina:
What's the most L.A. thing that you do?
Coleman: I've been wearing Vans since I was in the eighth grade. I still wear Vans. And, when I talk about the freeways, I always say "the" 101 or "the" 405 or "the" 110. Have you seen the SNL skit called "The Californians"? My brother's name is Trey.
E_TOW_3344

4: Whit knows everything
Sarina:
What has a guy like Andrew Whitworth taught you?
Coleman: Gosh, he's taught us so much. He's just one of those guys when he speaks up in the meeting room or on the field you just listen. He knows everything. He's been around so long and he's done it at such a high level. He's always willing to help anybody so we are very lucky to have him around.

5: When things got hairy
Sarina:
Your hair used to be longer. What happened?
Coleman: I went to Loyola so we couldn't grow our hair out. It's an all-boys, private school. So as soon as I went to college, I was like, I want to grow it out. My first two and a half years, I let it go. And then, I figured it was time to come back to reality. I did love it. Definitely something I'm glad I did.

6: Earthling
Sarina:
Would you ever try space tourism if you had the money for it?
Coleman: No, no, no. I love space movies and all that, but I think there's a lot on this earth that I have to see that I haven't.

7: Not so easy
Sarina:
What is something you thought would be easy until you tried it?
Coleman: First thing that comes to mind are hover boards. They became a big trend when I was in college. Step on and you could just lean forward. I couldn't ride them for my life.
E_TOWL5451

8: Geek Squad
Sarina:
What do you geek out about?
Coleman: I'm a pretty big geek. I like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Marvel stuff, I kind of dive in on those like if I find a cool science-fiction thing or story that I just love. I go all in. That's another hobby of mine too, I like to know everything about a story. I don't know what it is that draws me to it, but as a kid, I always love superheroes. I always think it's cool to be able to take yourself out of reality and just to go into something else.

9: Puzzling
Sarina:
What is a children's toy that you still get joy playing with?
Coleman: I love puzzles. I love using my mind. During quarantine, my fiancé and I did probably 10 jigsaw puzzles, like 1000 pieces.

10: Your toughest competition
Sarina:
What is a goal for you this season, personal goal or team goal?
Coleman: My goal is to always push myself as hard as I can go. I'm not competing against anybody on the team ever. I'm always competing with myself, that's the way I look at it.
E_TOWL4875

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Have we seen any real positive write-ups from anyone on OL Bobby Evans in TC @ OG?
Not that I can recall. And that's a fair point. I just assume he's in the mix because he's done some good with the bad. Draft and develop around 2x paid dudes seems to be their approach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IOL was a major question to me but if Allen can succeed at center that is a major question answered. Depth and long term LT are questions but it looks promising.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not that I can recall. And that's a fair point. I just assume he's in the mix because he's done some good with the bad. Draft and develop around 2x paid dudes seems to be their approach.
IT would seem to me that at this point in time ref. Bobby Evans a 3rd rd selection from the NCAA championship teams before up till he was drafted in 2019....He should be trending upward now into his 3rd season here.

It's not that he has been stash away on a shelf somewhere either. He has had many starts in his rookie & second seasons @ RT & LG in important games but here we are & zero information & what evidence we do see & that is out there is clear he has secured NOTHING!

Evans (like Noteboom in 2019) Carberry handed the starting OG post very early in OTA's this 2021 season......where does Evans stand today?

Evans is not the backup to Havenstein because Tremayne Anchgrum has clearly secured that position. Evans is not the starting RG because Corbett has retained that starting post. Evans is not the backup to Andrew Whitworth, Noteboom has that locked down. According to too our own many camp reporters that Chandler Brewer is the main backup to the swing OG & also gets backup snaps @ the OT posts.

The only positions yet to be finalized from TC are the backup & reserve centers & the make-up of the 2021 initial Practice Squad OL cadre.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only positions yet to be finalized from TC are the backup & reserve centers & the make-up of the 2021 initial Practice Squad OL cadre.

My feeling on Evans is, he seems to play better in game action then he practices. Backup Center will be interesting because camp reports have communicated that Coleman Shelton had issues with his snaps and was beaten a few times too.

I expect to see Jeremiah Kolone & Jordan Meredith at Center too during preseason, but IMO, it's possible the Rams claim someone to eventually backup Allen & release Shelton. I still believe in Evans, but if AJ Jackson shows well, especially at LT, the Rams might end up trading Evans, however, I'm sure he will play plenty in preseason.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I will say, hearing Jourdan Rodrigue on her most recent podcast talk about Brian Allen made me feel much, much more comfortable. Said he looks much better out there, said he's been absolutely battling and is bigger, tougher and stronger than he was. Also said that he looks downright nasty out there.

I'll hold onto hope, and hearing that made me feel better.

She said it doesn't seem so much as Corbett lost the C job, as Brian Allen earned it again.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My feeling on Evans is, he seems to play better in game action then he practices. Backup Center will be interesting because camp reports have communicated that Coleman Shelton had issues with his snaps and was beaten a few times too.

I expect to see Jeremiah Kolone & Jordan Meredith at Center too during preseason, but IMO, it's possible the Rams claim someone to eventually backup Allen & release Shelton. I still believe in Evans, but if AJ Jackson shows well, especially at LT, the Rams might end up trading Evans, however, I'm sure he will play plenty in preseason.
It's obvious from all my posts that I was highly disappointed in Evans's game performance late last season filling in for the Achilles Heel injury for Edwards. I was much more pleased in his 2019 starting performance @ RT for the injured Havenstein. Fans here in ROD seem to be all over the place in their thoughts on his performance in 2020. I just happen to be on the lower end grading than most all. I just observed a weak lost starting OG.

Re.f Coleman Shelton & his botched snaps are very interesting & concerning. Very unexpected since he was our reserve center for the entire 2020 season with our 2nd OL unit. I am keeping an eye on rookie Meredith. As far as claiming centers off waivers late as preseason ends before regular-season starts .......Snead is can't help himself he has done it for many seasons now. As you said I would expect the same this season.

Finally, if rookie UDFA Alaric Jackson (long-time starter @ LT for Iowa) continues to show out very well the next two weeks & from all reports that he sure looks like a pure LT with his overall length being over 6-7 tall ...... Coach Carberry has to be following orders from Snead/McKay in working hard serious hunting for a potential future LEFT OT to back up Noteboom in 2022, certainly, a RIGHT OT is not on any need list which the 6-4 Evans fits that very description. RT Tremayne Anchrum would appear to have soundly secured that RT position. This IMO puts Evans in a much weaker position than I was thinking earlier this weak.

The rookie Jackson from all reports has done very well. Rams contract with Jackson will keep him around till 2025 same as OL'ers Max Pircher & Jordan Meredith. Anchrum & Brewer contract keep them here till 2024. Shelton's contract keeps him most likely till 2023. Evans contracts will end at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IOL was a major question to me but if Allen can succeed at center that is a major question answered. Depth and long term LT are questions but it looks promising.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here’s my take on our ‘22 OL situation, fwiw.

Yeah, Big Whit will probably retire.

Boom will be extended to become our starting LOT.

Edwards, of course, will be our LG.

Allen, if he plays well this year, could be extended and our starting OC for years To come.

I see a probable extension for Corbett at RG unless he’s very unreasonable about his salary demands.

I think RT is very much up in the air for ‘22. If I had to bet then I would say that they trade Hav and start either Anchrum or Brewer at RT next year.

I also see Snead drafting OL every year just to keep the pipeline full.

The above projected OL would be a good one and I think the Rams will strain to manage the cap sufficient to keep a strong OL together. Other players and positions will have to be sacrificed, such as DW, but what can they do?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I will say, hearing Jourdan Rodrigue on her most recent podcast talk about Brian Allen made me feel much, much more comfortable. Said he looks much better out there, said he's been absolutely battling and is bigger, tougher and stronger than he was. Also said that he looks downright nasty out there.

I'll hold onto hope, and hearing that made me feel better.

She said it doesn't seem so much as Corbett lost the C job, as Brian Allen earned it again.
That's good news for those of us feeling like we apparently missed badly on Evans.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here’s my take on our ‘22 OL situation, fwiw.

Yeah, Big Whit will probably retire.
I do not believe that Andrew Whitworth will make it through this season as the primary starter. It will be Noteboom who is the main starting LT & pulling the rope for our veteran QB.
Boom will be extended to become our starting LOT.
I have let it be known for a long time Noteboom is the first OL'er that gets a new contract here as a Ram.

Edwards, of course, will be our LG. Edwards in truth ended up being our starting OG since he was drafted in 2019 but Kromer just did not see it.
Allen, if he plays well this year, could be extended and our starting OC for years To come.
Agreed

I see a probable extension for Corbett at RG unless he’s very unreasonable about his salary demands.
I do not see this due to cap ramifications
I think RT is very much up in the air for ‘22. If I had to bet then I would say that they trade Hav and start either Anchrum or Brewer at RT next year.
If the Rams retain both RT's Tremayne Anchrum & RT Bobby Evans along with having OT/RG Chandler Brewer, OT Alaric Jackson &OT Max Pircher a trade of a veteran RT Havenstein appears like a sure thing if LT Noteboom proves out like I see him doing. I do believe that Mcvay will desire a better pass protector @ RT than Havenstein with a 35 yr old QB

I also see Snead drafting OL every year just to keep the pipeline full.

The above projected OL would be a good one and I think the Rams will strain to manage the cap sufficient to keep a strong OL together. Other players and positions will have to be sacrificed, such as DW, but what can they do?
Snead failed to draft any OL'ers this season for good reason. However, with the loss of 3 starters i.e. Whitworth/ Corbett & the trade of Havenstein, the situation will have changed dramatically. Yes, I certainly can see some serious OL talent being introduced into this 2022 OL.