The state of the Los Angeles Rams offensive line heading into preseason action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Now I'm starting to wonder if we might start missing Blythe.

If Allen made the leap to being our best Center, that would be FANTASTIC, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.
I noticed in one of the videos today Staff was taking snaps from both Allen and Corbet side by side. He had to bend down a lot more to get Allen's snaps. Not sure if that's important but it was noticeable. If you're crouching lower it seems like it would affect the QBs ability to survey the field presnap.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now I'm starting to wonder if we might start missing Blythe.
giphy.gif

oldnotdead

Legend
I saw enough in 2019 to see that Allen could be a quality center in the NFL. He was stout in his blocking and had enough mobility to get to the second level and to pull on power runs plays, things Blythe simply couldn't do. Did he make mistakes? Absolutely, but what first-year starting center doesn't. Now he looks physically improved and I have no reason to doubt the reports of his play.

I also have no doubts that the Rams will be able to re-sign Allen, Corbett, and Noteboom. With Edwards still under contract through 2022, the only question will be RT. There is no way Havenstein is worth $8.3M with his mediocre play. He will be 30 next year and that will inhibit any thoughts of extension. They can release him now and clear $5M in cap to help pay for the other 3 FA OL. But they will play Havenstein this year before they release him next year and that will clear $7M.

IMO Chandler Brewer is going to be a priority extension next year. The Rams have shown a huge interest in Brewer and he does have the physical and psychological metrics for playing RT where you want a mauler mentality. He showed in college he has good mobility for a man of his size to make second-level blocks in the run game. I think Brewer is a dark horse candidate to replace Havenstein.

So basically the entire starting OL will be priority FA signings. I like Brewer and I'm surprised he's been so under the radar. He's had a good TC and I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the OTs playing in the rotation this Saturday. This is an aspect of how the Rams conduct their contract signings that really mystifies me at times. They know Corbett and Noteboom are going to be their starters next year. So why wait to extend them? I could easily see an OL next year of:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Brewer

All but Edwards will be UFA next year. What are they waiting for, lock them up now. Then they are only waiting on Allen's performance this year and who they will look at for RT next year. Brewer is the logical choice as he has the physical metrics you want at the position. Also, run blocking is one of his strengths which is what you want in your RT.

The one aspect that the Rams need to consider is the financial impact of winning a Super Bowl. The cost of re-signing your entire OL is going to escalate. It would be cheaper by millions to do it now. Once a player has that ring the price for them goes up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I saw enough in 2019 to see that Allen could be a quality center in the NFL. He was stout in his blocking and had enough mobility to get to the second level and to pull on power runs plays, things Blythe simply couldn't do. Did he make mistakes? Absolutely, but what first-year starting center doesn't. Now he looks physically improved and I have no reason to doubt the reports of his play.

I also have no doubts that the Rams will be able to re-sign Allen, Corbett, and Noteboom. With Edwards still under contract through 2022, the only question will be RT. There is no way Havenstein is worth $8.3M with his mediocre play. He will be 30 next year and that will inhibit any thoughts of extension. They can release him now and clear $5M in cap to help pay for the other 3 FA OL. But they will play Havenstein this year before they release him next year and that will clear $7M.

IMO Chandler Brewer is going to be a priority extension next year. The Rams have shown a huge interest in Brewer and he does have the physical and psychological metrics for playing RT where you want a mauler mentality. He showed in college he has good mobility for a man of his size to make second-level blocks in the run game. I think Brewer is a dark horse candidate to replace Havenstein.

So basically the entire starting OL will be priority FA signings. I like Brewer and I'm surprised he's been so under the radar. He's had a good TC and I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the OTs playing in the rotation this Saturday. This is an aspect of how the Rams conduct their contract signings that really mystifies me at times. They know Corbett and Noteboom are going to be their starters next year. So why wait to extend them? I could easily see an OL next year of:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Brewer

All but Edwards will be UFA next year. What are they waiting for, lock them up now. Then they are only waiting on Allen's performance this year and who they will look at for RT next year. Brewer is the logical choice as he has the physical metrics you want at the position. Also, run blocking is one of his strengths which is what you want in your RT.

The one aspect that the Rams need to consider is the financial impact of winning a Super Bowl. The cost of re-signing your entire OL is going to escalate. It would be cheaper by millions to do it now. Once a player has that ring the price for them goes up.
The question on why Austin Corbett has not been extended with a new 3 to 4 yr contract?

IMO is this:

Paying Corbett nearly $9 million a year would cause me to stop to think a long time too.

I do not expect the Rams to trade or release Havenstien unless his performance regresses. Having the loss of Andrew Whitworth & Rob Havenstein would be a sizeable mountain to overcome. But if Rob does not have another year as he had in 2020 that could very well happen. Carberry has some good young RT's to fill Hav's spot if needed in Bobby Evans, Tremayne Anchrum, or AJ Jackson.

I believe that the over 6-6 320 plus OL'er Chandler Brewer will end up playing starting RG in 2022 with Corbett departing.

I will be looking to see just how much we will see rookies Alaric Jackson & Max Pircher getting snaps @ that critical LT post.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The question on why Austin Corbett has not been extended with a new 3 to 4 yr contract?

IMO is this:

Paying Corbett nearly $9 million a year would cause me to stop to think a long time too.

I do not expect the Rams to trade or release Havenstien unless his performance regresses. Having the loss of Andrew Whitworth & Rob Havenstein would be a sizeable mountain to overcome. But if Rob does not have another year as he had in 2020 that could very well happen. Carberry has some good young RT's to fill Hav's spot if needed in Bobby Evans, Tremayne Anchrum, or AJ Jackson.

I believe that the over 6-6 320 plus OL'er Chandler Brewer will end up playing starting RG in 2022 with Corbett departing.
Agreed Boni. If the Rams continue with their current approach what they'll do is play Evans and Anchrum in the starting 5 and then draft depth behind them.

Seems like the Rams like both of them so it would make sense. The real question is Center but maybe that position is not one they sweat now with Stafford in the backfield.

Boom is the other question. Do they let him walk too? I lean that way as you know but if they really like him they'll pony up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed Boni. If the Rams continue with their current approach what they'll do is play Evans and Anchrum in the starting 5 and then draft depth behind them.

Seems like the Rams like both of them so it would make sense. The real question is Center but maybe that position is not one they sweat now with Stafford in the backfield.

Boom is the other question. Do they let him walk too? I lean that way as you know but if they really like him they'll pony up.
If the Rams go into the regular season with the only center Brian Allen on the master roster with two OC's on the Practice Squad we will know that Austin Corbett is the top OC reserve. If that were to happen then his value to the Rams goes up significantly next season. But I might be wrong too the Rams may be forced to go with 10 OL'ers which would include Coleman Shelton as the 10th OL'er & backup center.

I can't forget that Shelton was our main back up OC for the entire 2020 season.

It will be interesting watching the Rams for guys like you & me for the next 2 weeks.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That might be one of the most negative scouting reports I've ever read lol
IQ - Tardy responses to twists and stunts. Might as well play with 10 on the field when he’s uncovered given his challenges finding work. Wanders in space, often without an identifiable plan. Heavily penalized.

"Wanders in Space often without an identifiable plan." That sums up most hippies of the 60s' and they turned out alright!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Did the LA Rams stumble into bookend OTs of the future?​

by Bret Stuter
1628866906684.png

The LA Rams are by no means the NFL organization that plops sacks of cash, makes blockbuster trades, or even signs premier free agent veterans to the offensive line. It’s just not how this team rolls. But don’t think that the LA Rams are not planning for tomorrow. It’s easy to assume that, simply because this team makes some pretty big splashes in the water when the front office makes a move. And yet, that’s not where all of the action is.

All in all, the LA Rams have done a pretty good job of building an NFL winner by looking in places where other teams don’t, and by choosing players that other teams overlook. It’s a curious trait for a team that seems to splash the headlines each year or so when there is another blockbuster trade, and the Rams are the team that has converted their first-round draft picks into some special type of veteran player.

But paying for 90 players in the offseason, and 53 players through the course of an NFL season takes a lot of cash. The Rams pay their stars, which leaves a much smaller share to pay the rest of the roster. So planning for the future creates significant challenges for a team that doesn’t retain first-round draft choices.

So this team needs to plan ahead. That requires coordination with the team’s front office, a matter of some import as there will not be enough money to go around next year. That means that the team will need to consider the length of the contract when setting the final depth chart. Right now, the LA Rams have four players set at their two offensive tack positions, and only one is expected to be back in 2022. That’s three offensive tackles in one year? Go on, tell me another one.

But help is one the way. At the back of the roster right now are a couple of players who seem to be shaping up very nicely. So well, in fact, that I expect to see their play in preseason games to confirm if the LA Rams have something or not. So who am I referring to? Let’s find out:
1628867894632.png

Tremayne Anchrum

When the LA Rams drafted Tremayne Anchrum late in the 2020 NFL Draft, they were not drafting an offensive lineman, but rather were drafting the best player on their board. The guy is no slouch at his position, but because he is not the 6-foot-5 prototype offensive lineman, he fell to the Rams and the team was more than happy to call out his name.

Anchrum didn’t have much time to ‘fit in’ with the LA Rams offensive line a year ago, as the team raced to pull together a group of starters. But 2021 is a bit different. For starters, the Rams’ new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry seems to enjoy bigger-bodied guys, which has pushed Anchrum back on the depth chart. But I don’t expect him to stay there.

Anchrum is a solid player who understands not just his position, but the roles and responsibilities of the guys playing around him. He is a headsy guy, the one who knows who to prioritize and who can be avoided, and uses that as he not only engages at the line of scrimmage but has he enters the second and third levels of blocking.

He may currently be at the third string, but I don’t believe that stands. He has great power, instincts, and finesse. I believe that he can improve his rank on the team’s depth chart through the upcoming preseason games. Now, all he has to do is go out there and prove me right.

AJ Jackson

LA Rams News Rams Roster AJ Jackson

The LA Rams were expected to add two or three offensive linemen to the roster this year via the 2021 NFL Draft. With so many players in the last year of their contracts, it only made sense to add some reinforcements to the roster just in case. And yes, some of the players who were available when the LA Rams selected are making a name for themselves already.

While the Rams did not grab a new offensive center or an offensive tackle during the draft, they may have grabbed the best of the bunch of offensive linemen who remained. The Rams picked up longtime Iowa offensive tackle Alaric Jackson, a.k.a. A.J. Jackson, after the draft. He was projected to be a day two selection, but due to the depth of quality offensive linemen, and some less than ideal measurables at his pro day, he fell to the LA Rams.

T Alaric Jackson from Iowa (6’6 315 lbs)
Jackson earned a Pass Block Grade of 74.2 and a Run Block Grade of 73.6 last season pic.twitter.com/mFjAHgrAmo
— PFF LA Rams (@PFF_Rams) May 8, 2021
AJ Jackson, just like Tremayne Anchrum, showed up in a very positive light against the Dallas Cowboys defensive linemen in their joint practice. In fact, he appeared to be one of the better offensive linemen on the field at the time.

Pads are on now. This is AJ Jackson’s wheelhouse. Now is his time to shine. The guy has played offensive tackle for a very good Iowa offensive line for what seems like forever. Jackson is a huge 6-foot-7 315-pound young man who showed up for the LA Rams at 285 pounds. He is taking the entire football thing incredibly seriously. So seriously that he changed his diet completely to get leaner, have more pop in his game, and improve his endurance.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anchrum took almost every snap with the 2nd team in TC for good reason. His fundementals are outstanding, quick kick slide and hand placement, sinks his hips and long arms makes DE go wide. Quicker off the snap than Havenstien. Held up well vs 1st team OL in TC (mainly DE Floyd).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anchrum took almost every snap with the 2nd team in TC for good reason. His fundementals are outstanding, quick kick slide and hand placement, sinks his hips and long arms makes DE go wide. Quicker off the snap than Havenstien. Held up well vs 1st team OL in TC (mainly DE Floyd).
I believe this! Hav always been slower in his get-off. It Causes Hav & the QB many issues on those quick inside moves by those smaller quicker edge rushers. If Hav was not such a pure gentleman & great all-around good guy Hav would have already been replaced as the starter @ RT. But Hav is a true professional & carries himself at all times as such. You must have players like him at the very core of your team.

The Tremayne Anchrum's quick & substantial development may have a serious direct effect on Bobby Evan's position. Evans was the sure backup to Hav for the last two seasons. This is obviously no longer true. Evans who started out as a starter in OTA's & early TC @ OG is now fighting for just a reserve OL master roster final position. Does he have one locked up?

Hav's is now the Ram's highest-paid OL'er. If a 2nd yr 7th round draft selection is playing better or equaling the outcome of Hav then this is sure to give way to possible trade scenarios if a team comes calling due to having lost their starting RT to injury. If Hav was traded here at any time the Rams would end up with a 2021 Cap Savings of a near $7 million-plus whatever was
gained in trade ....be it a player or draft compensations.

The bottom line here is the Rams are loaded with SIX (6) non starting OT's:
Joseph Noteboom
Ryan Pope
Bobby Evans
Tremayne Anchrum
Alaric Jackson
Max Pircher

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe this!

Hav always been slower in his get-off. It Causes Hav & the QB many issues on those quick inside moves by those smaller quicker edge rushers. If Hav was not such a pure gentleman & great all-around good guy Hav would have already been replaced as the starter @ RT. But Hav is a true professional & carries himself at all times as such.

You must have players like him at the very core of your team.
Besides being the consummate gentleman, Havenstein is one hell of a run blocker. ;)