The state of the Los Angeles Rams offensive line heading into preseason action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Sure as hell we don't look out of sync coming out of the gate because nothing but 3rd string got "game time" in the preseason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Few if any of these guys will make the team that play in Preseason and a handful of them may make the practice squad. I just don't see the benefit of doing these worthless games at all. The truth is, there should just be team scrimmages, but the owners can't charge full ticket prices for those....

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Snead and McVay are always adding talent prior to the final 53.

This is a bottom of the roster O-Line upgrade that they agreed to sign.

They will continue to upgrade prior to the regular season right up until the final 53 man cuts.

logo-home.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Snead and McVay are always adding talent prior to the final 53.

This is a bottom of the roster O-Line upgrade that they agreed to sign.

They will continue to upgrade prior to the regular season right up until the final 53 man cuts.

logo-home.jpg
He will be cut the day after the last preseason game. If he shows any promise he may get a shot on the practice squad.

They do not want to expose their top 7-8 OL in preseason.

So Shelton, Pircher, Brewer, Kolone, Pope, & Anchrum will likely see most of the snaps

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The benefit is solely to to teams’ bottom line. I can’t believe anyone would want to pay to see these guys on the field.
#hardpass

oldnotdead

Legend
Pope is strictly a RT prospect. He's got the physical measurables but you have to wonder about his coachability after two teams in two years. I also think this was a 3rd unit signing to get them through the preseason. If he shows enough they might keep him on the roster. IMO this is aimed at Anchrum's roster spot and it's him who Pope would have to beat out to stay on the roster. That said I think he might make the PS if he shows improvement over his rookie evaluations.

it will be interesting to see where they play Evans in pre-season with the 2nd unit I'm presuming. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get snaps at RT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If I am reading the McVay tea leaves ........Carberry's three top OT's Havenstein/ Whitworth/ Noteboom will not be involved in the preseason games.

This leaves McVay with two experienced OT's on the field. Bobby Evans & Tremayne Anchrum. Evans sure looks to be trending downward & Anchrum may have beat him out of a backup RT position on the roster. I look for both these OT's to play hard against the Chargers. The other 3 OT's are rookies AJ Jackson & Max Pircher plus just arrived Ryan Pope.

OG Chandler Brewer could in an emergency move out from his competition @ OG to play either OT post but I have the idea that Brewer is getting serious consideration as the main swing OG behind Corbett & Edwards. Coleman Shelton is Brewer's main competition it would seem. With Corbett being a UFA in a little over 6 months ....finding a future starting RG is on the things-to-do lists for Carberry.

Center will be interesting: Brian Allen sitting it out leaves Jeremiah Kolone, Coleman Shelton & Jordan Meredith.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I feel sorry for our depth QBs on Saturday. :laugh4:

oldnotdead

Legend
It will be interesting to watch Bryce Perkins try to play as a pocket passer, something he's never done. He's had a year of acclimation and being coached up so it's time to see if he's progressed. My primary criticism is his lack of accuracy. In college his intermediate passes were inconsistent and his deep accuracy sucked. Running QBs who have never learned to read defenses have a poor record of success making the transition.

Devlin (Duck) Hodges is undersized for an NFL QB at 6'. He has average arm strength and accuracy. His accuracy can be inconsistent as his mechanics break down when under pressure. He's not known as a deep passing threat. His fit in this offense is marginal. Duck is a pocket passer with experience (mixed) as a starter for the Steelers.

IMO both Perkins and Hodges, regardless of what McVay says publicly are simply camp bodies. That said I look for Snead to scan the lists of released QBs who clear the waiver wire this year for a backup of the future. They can tender Wolford next year as an ER player. But after that, it will become more expensive as they must tender him as a RFA (first or second round) in 2023. I expect the Rams to start the search for Wolford's replacement as soon as this year but there is no rush as I think Hodges will be the PS QB this year unless Perkins absolutely kills pre-season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Carberry is under some pressure here more than many think. Yes this Ram OL is mostly remaining the same but with some positives & negatives overall.

In 2022 the UFA element to basically three starters in Corbett, Allen & Noteboom along with the retirement of our best starting OL'er Andrew Whitworth so that four major pending concerns. With four big losses, there must be some serious behind the scene working the remainder & readying these reserves for heavy duty responsibilities in the very near future. We will see what Snead has brought in for McVay/Carberry to start in 2022 in these next two preseason games.

I have gone on record & stated that IMO LT Noteboom carries the most priorities of the other UFA's. Allen would be 2nd in priorities all pending on how well he does this season. Snead has the Ram in much better condition @ RG post. Bobby Evans, Chandler Brewer, Coleman Shelton, Tremayne Anchrum & AJ Jackson all have the talents to play OG in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a hail mary signing to me.
With no practice time, it will be baptism by fire for him against the Chargers.
The odds against him making the team are at biblical proportions.
Well, with that I'm all out of puns

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Now I'm starting to wonder if we might start missing Blythe.

If Allen made the leap to being our best Center, that would be FANTASTIC, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.