The Rock has bought the XFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he does it right, he will capture many disgruntled fans....

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hopefully this means the teams will be back

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Let's go Roughnecks! Maybe.

tenor.gif

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Loves watchin The Battlehawks. They had such a huge following that they had to open to upper tier up at the dome.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Loves watchin The Battlehawks. They had such a huge following that they had to open to upper tier up at the dome.
I bet they didn't kneel during the anthem..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would you say something you know is going to start a fight?
Because it''s true that many people feel it's important that a sports league not be in any way political, and therefore will give a fledgling nonpolitical sports league initial support. More so than ever before for such leagues, people will give them time and money to give it a chance.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully they can get those network contracts back. That is what seperated the last attempt from the rest. The XFL had a legit chance to gain traction

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Hell yeah! I was really enjoying the XFL before the rona effed it up! I will be watching if it comes back!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Because it''s true that many people feel it's important that a sports league not be in any way political, and therefore will give a fledgling nonpolitical sports league initial support. More so than ever before for such leagues, people will give them time and money to give it a chance.

Well, okay, but that opens a pretty big can of worms.

Was anyone saying boo when the NFL started desecrating the flag after 9/11? This is directly according to the US Flag Code, by the way, and not opinion. I'm referring to those garish field size flags that are held by dozens of people. I'll gladly quote the US Flag Code which is now law, although penalties are not enforced. That would be US Code Title 4 Ch 1 § 8c "The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free." That one actually REALLY bothers me. I'm mostly ignored when I mention it, but w/e.

Why is protesting police brutality not okay, but actually desecrating the flag is okay? I r confused...

The only time we hear this stuff about "politics" is when someone disagrees.

Not to ruin anything, but sports has always been political. Jack Johnson... Jessie Owens in Berlin in 1936... Joe Louis v Max Schmelling in 1938... Jackie Robinson in '47... Muhammad Ali protesting the draft... Tommy Smith and John Carlos in the Mexico City Olympics... the Munich Olympics... publicly funded stadiums... the list is super long.

The issue isn't that sports is political NOW. It's ALWAYS had elements of politics, going back to the Greeks and their Olympiad...

And if we're REALLY gonna go full "no politics" that has to be ALL politics, not just parts. And honestly, that's impossible.

Heck, the Rams moved because of the intersection of team valuation, revenues and local politics and funding mechanisms.

I don't disagree in general that I'd rather focus on the game. Honestly, if folks just let him kneel and moved on, it woulda been fine. There was no disrespect in kneeling as opposed to sitting which was disrespectful. Had I noticed, I woulda taken issue with THAT, but even then, I'd just say I wasn't happy and move on.

But we're being dishonest if we think for a moment that sport is isolated from the world at large. I have a saying that "sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice."

And while sports at its best distills that human virtue, it doesn't lose it's connection to it's surroundings any more than whiskey loses flavors of the ingredients and surrounding flavor cues in the distilling process.

All that to say that with sports inherently having political aspects, at best we can just ignore that which we don't agree with or assign value and move on. Sports without politics simply doesn't exist.

I also hope the XFL succeeds because a) competition is good and the NFL NEEDS competition...badly... and b) even if it's basically a development league for the NFL, it gives more people a chance to live their dreams, more event jobs and a chance for people to enjoy more of the sport they enjoy for longer as the XFL won't encroach on the NFL season...for obvious reasons...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, okay, but that opens a pretty big can of worms.

Was anyone saying boo when the NFL started desecrating the flag after 9/11? This is directly according to the US Flag Code, by the way, and not opinion. I'm referring to those garish field size flags that are held by dozens of people. I'll gladly quote the US Flag Code which is now law, although penalties are not enforced. That would be US Code Title 4 Ch 1 § 8c "The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free." That one actually REALLY bothers me. I'm mostly ignored when I mention it, but w/e.

Why is protesting police brutality not okay, but actually desecrating the flag is okay? I r confused...

The only time we hear this stuff about "politics" is when someone disagrees.

Not to ruin anything, but sports has always been political. Jack Johnson... Jessie Owens in Berlin in 1936... Joe Louis v Max Schmelling in 1938... Jackie Robinson in '47... Muhammad Ali protesting the draft... Tommy Smith and John Carlos in the Mexico City Olympics... the Munich Olympics... publicly funded stadiums... the list is super long.

The issue isn't that sports is political NOW. It's ALWAYS had elements of politics, going back to the Greeks and their Olympiad...

And if we're REALLY gonna go full "no politics" that has to be ALL politics, not just parts. And honestly, that's impossible.

Heck, the Rams moved because of the intersection of team valuation, revenues and local politics and funding mechanisms.

I don't disagree in general that I'd rather focus on the game. Honestly, if folks just let him kneel and moved on, it woulda been fine. There was no disrespect in kneeling as opposed to sitting which was disrespectful. Had I noticed, I woulda taken issue with THAT, but even then, I'd just say I wasn't happy and move on.

But we're being dishonest if we think for a moment that sport is isolated from the world at large. I have a saying that "sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice."

And while sports at its best distills that human virtue, it doesn't lose it's connection to it's surroundings any more than whiskey loses flavors of the ingredients and surrounding flavor cues in the distilling process.

All that to say that with sports inherently having political aspects, at best we can just ignore that which we don't agree with or assign value and move on. Sports without politics simply doesn't exist.

I also hope the XFL succeeds because a) competition is good and the NFL NEEDS competition...badly... and b) even if it's basically a development league for the NFL, it gives more people a chance to live their dreams, more event jobs and a chance for people to enjoy more of the sport they enjoy for longer as the XFL won't encroach on the NFL season...for obvious reasons...
To say that I think you are wrong, is obvious. I don't back off what I said one damn bit, but I can't refute your points without going fully political, which we have all committed not to do. What I said stands. The NFL is about the feel the full brunt of this political bullshit, just as MLB and the NBA is going through and it will get worse. You keep believing that kaeperfuck is kneeling because of police brutality, when he just outed himself on July 4th that says WAAAAY different. But no matter.
Believe what you want.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's not what you think, but you're gonna believe what you want because it fits your narrative. /shrug

If you ask in PM, I'll tell you what it actually was versus what people are spinning it to be to fit their narrative, but in general I've always found that people are more attached to their dogma than the truth.

I don't really care, either way. Life's too short to be upset by what he did or didn't do or what people thought of what he did or didn't do. I mean, I'm upset the NFL keep desecrating the flag (that's a hill I'll die on... it's BS and wrong as codified in the law), but I keep watching because in the grand scheme of things, I only have so many units of energy.

In the meantime, living the Australia of America, I'll just hope to make it out of this latest thing unscathed...which would kinda be a first, but hope springs eternal...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson wants to tap the XFL’s reality-TV potential

The XFL has new owners — and they plan to tackle their investment with Hollywood flair.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and a group of investors have scooped up the floundering football league for just $15 million in a deal that got rubber-stamped by a US bankruptcy judge on Friday.

But instead of rushing to push players back onto the gridiron, Johnson — teaming up with his ex-wife and business manager Dany Garcia and the prolific sports banker Gerry Cardinale — are drawing up plans to remake the XFL into an entertainment powerhouse, sources told The Post.

That means potentially creating reality-TV programming akin to HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” which follows an NFL team in the preseason, introducing viewers to players and coaches. Indeed, the XFL is considering a similar show that would span the whole season, according to sources close to the situation.

Likewise, the group aims to capitalize on Johnson’s star power not only as a box-office draw, but also as a former college football player and a WWE wrestler. One possibility, sources said, is to bring the XFL into storylines on Johnson’s current HBO show “Ballers,” in which he plays a retired NFL star turned business manager.

The plans are in the early stages, and insiders said one thing is clear: The XFL is in no hurry to resurrect the XFL’s second-ever attempt at a season, which got scrapped in March after just five weeks because of a coronavirus outbreak. After filing for Chapter 11 in April, the league is now eyeing a 2021 return at the earliest while it “methodically” lines up a comprehensive strategy to rope in more viewers, according to a source.

“You’re only going to launch this one more time,” cautioned the insider. “There’s no need to rush it with this bold new plan.”

The relaunch — which will be the third after 2001 and this year — also could mean new broadcasting deals. Disney and Fox have made it clear in recent months that they wanted their contracts with the XFL renegotiated, claiming that without its charismatic founder Vince McMahon, the XFL was a weaker product.

Johnson and Cardinale’s RedBird Partners aren’t going to fight to enforce those contracts and are preparing to market a new media package to all potential buyers, including streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime, insiders said.

Cardinale, a Goldman Sachs veteran, was a key player in creating Legends Hospitality, the massive ticketing and concessions firm created as a joint venture between the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Yankees. He also played a key role in creating the Yankees’ YES cable network.

Contrary to recent reports, sources said Cardinale’s role in the XFL purchase is not being funded by RedBird’s upcoming $500 million SPAC offering. That listing, set to price on Aug. 12, is instead likely to focus on acquiring a major European soccer club, according to a source.