The Rams are long gone, but St. Louis could still be on the hook for player's 2015 injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm guessing the CVC.

Really? My guess is the NFL.

“There was no evidence that showed the RSA or the CVC had exclusive control of the premises,” said Debbie Champion, lawyer for the RSA and the CVC. “Even the evidence the Rams put on, was that there was joint control of the dome on game days by the CVC and the Rams. Well, the law requires that there be exclusive control of the city in order to make a claim.”

Funny how the people that own the stadium and prevent tenants from modifying it aren't responsible

I had an event production business for many years as some of you know. I rented out convention centers in several different cities for my events which were large consumer shows that would have 180-220 vendors, fashion shows, cooking stages and other features. I know how they operate and the amount of detailed planning that goes into putting "the floor" together.

In fact I rented out The AlamoDome for my expo in San Antonio. (Big money yikes)

In almost every case, with rare exceptions usually only found in small venues like ballrooms, you are starting at base rent for the facility, or the area of the convention center you are renting for use. Basically the cement floor and walls. Anything else is either negotiated into the base cost and put into the contract, or you pay extra to have other things provided. Electricity, water, carpeting and other extras are not included in large venue rentals, sometimes in small venues like hotel ballrooms and the like.

I can say without reservation that the Rams directed how the field and floor of the Dome were laid out. Down to where the Gatorade goes and every other detail................if the cement was left uncovered it was a decision made by someone on the Rams or someone on the Rams AND the Dome.

Each and every detail is covered in the lease, every iota and the part of any event that the Dome would not have had the ability to dress out (for instance large balloon arrangements or other decorations) would have gone to an outside company and only the Rams would have directed them, not the Dome. They would have to adhere to Dome policies but take direction from the Rams. Every little detail is covered. And there is always a charge for the extras.

Someone, or more than one person, decided how much carpeting to lay down on game days and IMO it's probably a Rams staff member that signed off on it.

That said I dislike Bush and don't like the fact that the Dome didn't take action earlier or force the Rams to dress the outside area differently.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's a joke. These players say they deserve the huge salaries they receive partly because of risk of injury. Then they get hurt and want to sue. It's all absurd.
He will win and win big just like the stupid lady who carelessly burned herself with McDonalds coffee. Do they deserve the money? NOPE, but they'll get it. Unfortunately that's the way our society works now: you screw up someone else is responsible. If I turn the seat belt sign off and someone gets injured, it's the airline's fault. If it's on and someone is walking around and gets hurt........it's also the airline's fault.

Dude yes the Lady with the coffee is Fucked Up that corporations aren’t responsible more. If you saw how burned she got you’d be shocked !! It was beyond hot & people were getting burned bad because of the coffee machines.
—Totally unsafe as well.

With Bush ?? What a joke the stadium was for not covering it up. Freaking make it look at least like your at a football field. Have concrete & spikes around ?? I guess caution cones should never be put up either ?

I was shocked when Bush fell because I never made it out to The Lou with regret !! Never seeing what the stadium layout looked like.Now I’m just trying to find time to go checkout The Lou practice site.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I had an event production business for many years as some of you know. I rented out convention centers in several different cities for my events which were large consumer shows that would have 180-220 vendors, fashion shows, cooking stages and other features. I know how they operate and the amount of detailed planning that goes into putting "the floor" together.

In fact I rented out The AlamoDome for my expo in San Antonio. (Big money yikes)

In almost every case, with rare exceptions usually only found in small venues like ballrooms, you are starting at base rent for the facility, or the area of the convention center you are renting for use. Basically the cement floor and walls. Anything else is either negotiated into the base cost and put into the contract, or you pay extra to have other things provided. Electricity, water, carpeting and other extras are not included in large venue rentals, sometimes in small venues like hotel ballrooms and the like.

I can say without reservation that the Rams directed how the field and floor of the Dome were laid out. Down to where the Gatorade goes and every other detail................if the cement was left uncovered it was a decision made by someone on the Rams or someone on the Rams AND the Dome.

Each and every detail is covered in the lease, every iota and the part of any event that the Dome would not have had the ability to dress out (for instance large balloon arrangements or other decorations) would have gone to an outside company and only the Rams would have directed them, not the Dome. They would have to adhere to Dome policies but take direction from the Rams. Every little detail is covered. And there is always a charge for the extras.

Someone, or more than one person, decided how much carpeting to lay down on game days and IMO it's probably a Rams staff member that signed off on it.

That said I dislike Bush and don't like the fact that the Dome didn't take action earlier or force the Rams to dress the outside area differently.

Then Kronke was cheap, or does that go back to the Georgia days ? Has it been like that since day one ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did I read that right?

All of this is about $25,000?

Still doesn't sound right tbh, a player like Bush could lose tens of millions from an ACL injury.

The $25,000 is jurisdictional. It's not what they're seeking. It's just the minimum needed to get into that court. If they assert less, they'd be in a different court (and couldn't recover more than the jurisdictional amount). It's just a procedural hurdle.

everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else.

good luck assigning blame.

If they hold them jointly and severally liable, assigning blame won't be an issue.

It's a joke. These players say they deserve the huge salaries they receive partly because of risk of injury. Then they get hurt and want to sue. It's all absurd.
He will win and win big just like the stupid lady who carelessly burned herself with McDonalds coffee. Do they deserve the money? NOPE, but they'll get it. Unfortunately that's the way our society works now: you screw up someone else is responsible. If I turn the seat belt sign off and someone gets injured, it's the airline's fault. If it's on and someone is walking around and gets hurt........it's also the airline's fault.

As @So Ram said, that case is quite egregious if you look into the facts. Corporations distorted the facts of that case after it happened to try and bring about tort reform. That suit was very much warranted. In fact, originally, the woman only asked for McDonald's to cover her medical bills. McDonald's offered her next to nothing. I recommend you read the facts of the case:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

McDonald's knew what it was doing, knew it was harming people, and didn't care.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Then Kronke was cheap, or does that go back to the Georgia days ? Has it been like that since day one ?

I don't know the answer to that, all I know is that area was left partially uncovered and someone decided to leave it partially uncovered.

Obviously the Dome reacted to the second injury by putting down mats on game day. That can be interpreted three ways. They didn't want to wait for the Rams to address it and did it themselves, the Rams addressed it and asked the Dome to do it, or the two parties talked and came to the decision.

IMO from my experience that lasted about 12 years and lots of events, my gut says the Rams have the responsibility and that's why they asked the Dome to cover the cement area. The Rams even said on record they asked the Dome to do it. This statement is only partially accurate, typical lawyerspeak:

Rams lawyer Daniel Allmayer said the Rams took steps to ensure the safety of its players including installing carpet runners in the tunnels between the locker rooms and turf field. Allmayer said that after Bush got hurt, Rams Operations Director Bruck Warwick immediately contacted the CVC about covering the exposed concrete.

"Mr. Warwick had to get the authority of the CVC if he wanted to change it or move things because it was their stadium — their area," Allmayer said.

He had to simply make the request that the area be covered. No "authority" needed. It's no different than if the Rams wanted a banner hung on game days. He requests what the Rams want and the venue does it, unless it's against policy, they just aren't capable and it has to be outsourced, or it's a code violation. The reason Warwick made the call is he knew it was his responsibility.

Leases are detailed enough that even garbage disposal is spelled out. I learned the hard way to make sure to read the entire lease. Some can be 40+ pages long. And venues will charge for anything they possibly can.

For instance speaking of garbage..........and a lease early on I didn't read completely..........a venue I used once provided garbage cans around the floor for people to use. When they were getting full I asked my venue contact to have someone empty them.

Surprise!!!!!!

It wasn't included in the rent, there was an extra cost or we had to do it ourselves. Including getting garbage bags. I had to bust out the credit card and sign a modification to get the fucking garbage taken out. It was in the lease, and I skimmed it. Another example.........I had a cover charge at these events. Usually my staff and I took turns working the ticket areas in pairs. We "did our own gate" as it's called. One venue actually charged me $3,000 for the privileged of not using 4 of their employees at grossly high hourly rates for a job 2 people can easily do.

Bush sued the wrong people, this was on the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As @So Ram said, that case is quite egregious if you look into the facts. Corporations distorted the facts of that case after it happened to try and bring about tort reform. That suit was very much warranted. In fact, originally, the woman only asked for McDonald's to cover her medical bills. McDonald's offered her next to nothing. I recommend you read the facts of the case:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

McDonald's knew what it was doing, knew it was harming people, and didn't care.

@jrry32 that case is very interesting.

I knew little about it other than the rumors and stuff. When I actually looked into it some years back I came to a different conclusion, and most people don't know what went down. Nice link, and it's worth a read everyone.

She was dumb, and should not have had a cup of coffee between her legs and taken off the lid. And she admitted it, however that's not where the liability starts and ends.

McDonald's had so many issues and reports of people being burned and wanted to stick to the 190 degrees because that is the optimal temperature for holding coffee in pots evidently. They should have and eventually did drop it down. Hundreds of people got injured/burned by McDonald's coffee.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Those are all codes that could be violated. Covering the floor is not covered by a code, it's the choice of the person renting the venue. And that's true of any venue I have ever rented, and that number is pretty high.

If you want the floor covered you request it, and you can have it partially or completely covered. I've done both. Actually all 3 because I have left floors uncovered and just used the cement floor too.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So if the Rams are held liable, will Stanley be able to afford it?

Count me among those who think the concrete should have been covered. Looked obviously unsafe.

dang

Legend
I wonder - were any Rams seriously injured by the ‘concrete ring of death’ in all their years at the Edward Jones Dome?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
shouldn't the owners of the stadium be on the hook for that , didn't he slip on the cement or something

not sure that would be the Rams fault

dang

Legend
I wonder - were any Rams seriously injured by the ‘concrete ring of death’ in all their years at the Edward Jones Dome?
I should add if the Rams or the Dome Ops staff knew of this hazard and didn't address it - then that is negligent.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think the owners of the Ed should have been liable and not so much the Rams. Unless, because they rented the place out, that they were responsible for all possible safety issues. I have a feeling that Kroenke will appeal, regardless...

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
:flanders: Stan: “Oh great. Add that to the dead money I’m paying out this year!”