The Rams are long gone, but St. Louis could still be on the hook for player's 2015 injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If there is an award on this; there are lots of other sideline hazards that will fall under scrutiny. Countless times I see guys barreling toward benches, carts, railing, etc.

I'm amazed we haven't seen other injuries, to be honest.

I don't know. This could open a can of worms.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When McCown got injured slipping on that outside concrete the week before, they should have taken steps to make sure it didn't happen again. they didn't. They're liable.

"They" Being whoever the court decides should have been responsible.

I'm guessing the CVC.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This thread has the greatest hashtags ever.
My favorite;
"ring, ring, ringin' in the death".

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If 99+% of the population dealing with the same scenario doesn't have a problem with the setup, maybe the problem is the <1% that does.

A person can have a reasonable expectation of safety, but can't the city have a reasonable expectation that people will watch out for themselves? Specifically for your sidewalk example.
A city maintained sidewalk, is the city's responsibility. If there is a hole in it, they are supposed to fix it so that it's not a danger to anyone walking on it. Private and public parties go to great pains to mark stairs with yellow paint, especially with an irregular step. Or they grind away concrete so that everything is smooth, because it sticks up JUST A LITTLE. (because people have tripped on it before the repair). They do these things because they have been sued in the past. I think a court will look at an easily fixable slick concrete problem, which they did fix after Bush's injury. You can bet that Bush's lawyers will bring that up in the case.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
A city maintained sidewalk, is the city's responsibility. If there is a hole in it, they are supposed to fix it so that it's not a danger to anyone walking on it. Private and public parties go to great pains to mark stairs with yellow paint, especially with an irregular step. Or they grind away concrete so that everything is smooth, because it sticks up JUST A LITTLE. (because people have tripped on it before the repair). They do these things because they have been sued in the past. I think a court will look at an easily fixable slick concrete problem, which they did fix after Bush's injury. You can bet that Bush's lawyers will bring that up in the case.
I wasn't trying to say courts in the past haven't made these questionable decisions, just asking at what point is a person responsible to look for holes on their own?

There was a case where a lady was awarded (a lot of) money for tripping over her own child in a department store. She said they should provide child care while she was shopping. Bad decisions happen all the time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't trying to say courts in the past haven't made these questionable decisions, just asking at what point is a person responsible to look for holes on their own?

There was a case where a lady was awarded (a lot of) money for tripping over her own child in a department store. She said they should provide child care while she was shopping. Bad decisions happen all the time.
I don't think it's comparable. The NFL deals with finely tuned athletes, whose health directly determines their earning potential for a very small segment if time. Most players will never earn more in their lives than in this 3-5 year slice of time. Others mentioned dangers like benches, water coolers, golf carts...Every player knows these obstacles are there and what they must do to guard themselves (hurdling, etc..) I know if I was running out of bounds after a big play and all there appeared to be was a wall to stop me...You're thinking about the play that just ended, and how fast you must get back into the huddle, and slowing down gently before hitting the wall, it's not crazy that he wasn't guarding himself against slick concrete. In the millions of dollars involved at the Ed Jones dome, they can't afford some rubber matting?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would think the Rams since they are responsible for direction of the dressing out the field and surrounding area. I would think it's done to their specs.

If not then IMO thats dumb.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Debbie Champion represents the Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority and the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission. She told jurors the Rams, whom she called "the football experts," controlled the dome during home games, not her clients. She said Bush's injury happened "during the normal course of a football game."

The dome, she said, was used as a multipurpose facility for events other than football throughout the year, explaining that the RSA and CVC took direction from the NFL when it came to field specifications. She said no one complained about the field's safety for 20 years of football at the Edward Jones Dome until Bush got hurt.

"Nothing on that turf was done without the NFL approving even the smallest mark," she said. "At noon on gameday, the NFL takes over everything. On the day of the game, they are in charge. If they want to cover the concrete, they are in charge."
Rams lawyer Daniel Allmayer said the Rams took steps to ensure the safety of its players including installing carpet runners in the tunnels between the locker rooms and turf field. Allmayer said that after Bush got hurt, Rams Operations Director Bruck Warwick immediately contacted the CVC about covering the exposed concrete.

"Mr. Warwick had to get the authority of the CVC if he wanted to change it or move things because it was their stadium — their area," Allmayer said.

everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else.

good luck assigning blame.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Still doesn't sound right tbh, a player like Bush could lose tens of millions from an ACL injury.

I know, but that statement just sets the lowest level of the floor.
The minimum in all worst case scenarios.

The Ramowl

Starter
I don't know who was responsible for that but it was a clear accident waiting to happen and that kind of negligence can't be accepted in a professionnal league.
I hope he wins, this was unacceptable

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
It's a joke. These players say they deserve the huge salaries they receive partly because of risk of injury. Then they get hurt and want to sue. It's all absurd.
He will win and win big just like the stupid lady who carelessly burned herself with McDonalds coffee. Do they deserve the money? NOPE, but they'll get it. Unfortunately that's the way our society works now: you screw up someone else is responsible. If I turn the seat belt sign off and someone gets injured, it's the airline's fault. If it's on and someone is walking around and gets hurt........it's also the airline's fault.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It seems like to me Bush could have stopped running but I will say this. That female reporter in the Youtube clip is smokin hot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a St. Louisan, I hope Bush wins. I remember McCown getting injured from that same concrete the week before. They should've fixed it. They didn't. And now they'll have to pay for it.

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
It's a joke. These players say they deserve the huge salaries they receive partly because of risk of injury. Then they get hurt and want to sue. It's all absurd.

They risk football injury -- like getting destroyed by a snarling werewolf/linebacker. They don't sign up to risk ridiculously stupid and wholly-preventable injuries, like tearing a knee ligament because the powers that be were too lazy or too stupid (or both) to fix an easily fixable problem with the venue itself.

Honestly if Reggie Bush didn't have a point then why did the Dome suddenly get fixed after his injury?

He will win and win big just like the stupid lady who carelessly burned herself with McDonalds coffee. Do they deserve the money? NOPE, but they'll get it. Unfortunately that's the way our society works now: you screw up someone else is responsible. If I turn the seat belt sign off and someone gets injured, it's the airline's fault. If it's on and someone is walking around and gets hurt........it's also the airline's fault.

I don't think that's right, either. People ran with the ADD sound byte on that one and almost no one actually remembers what happened.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck
  • Stella Liebeck was a 79-year-old woman in Albuquerque, New Mexico, whose grandson drove her to McDonald’s in 1992. She was in a parked car when the coffee spilled.
  • Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat.
  • McDonald’s apparently knew that this was unsafe. In the decade before Liebeck’s spill, McDonald’s had received 700 reports of people burning themselves. McDonald’s admitted that its coffee was a hazard at such high temperatures. But it continued the practice, enforced by official McDonald’s policy, of heating up its coffee to near-boiling point. (McDonald’s claimed customers wanted the coffee this hot.)
  • Liebeck didn’t want to go to court. She just wanted McDonald’s to pay her medical expenses, estimated at $20,000. McDonald’s only offered $800, leading her to file a lawsuit in 1994.
  • After hearing the evidence, the jury concluded that McDonald’s handling of its coffee was so irresponsible that Liebeck should get much more than $20,000, suggesting she get nearly $2.9 million to send the company a message. Liebeck settled for less than $600,000. And McDonald’s began changing how it heats up its coffee.

tempests

Hall of Fame
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_4b4d078d-8b68-58d1-bb92-b52404122f91.html

ST. LOUIS • A St. Louis judge has dismissed the city of St. Louis from a civil trial over a former NFL running back’s knee injury in 2015 at the former Edward Jones Dome.

The city’s taxpayer-funded St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority and the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, two of the three defendants in the case, had asked to be dismissed, arguing that state law says public entities can only be held liable if they have exclusive control of the dome.

“There was no evidence that showed the RSA or the CVC had exclusive control of the premises,” said Debbie Champion, lawyer for the RSA and the CVC. “Even the evidence the Rams put on, was that there was joint control of the dome on game days by the CVC and the Rams. Well, the law requires that there be exclusive control of the city in order to make a claim.”

St. Louis CVC and RSA memo in Reggie Bush civil case
Associate Circuit Judge Calea Stovall-Reid agreed, dismissing the two public entities Friday. It is the fourth day of the trial stemming from a 2016 lawsuit filed by former NFL running back Reggie Bush, 33, of Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles Rams are the only remaining defendant in the jury trial, which continued Friday.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how the people that own the stadium and prevent tenants from modifying it aren't responsible :)