The official Aaron Donald IS BACK thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How I wish, I wish my lawyer were here

Wish my lawyer were here

Fair enough sir and I respect the profession, but you are a different breed and in some cases a rare breed....And I leave with this....

How do you tell the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? . . . One is a cold blooded, bottom dwelling, blood-sucking scavenger — the other is a fish!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I can't wait to go back and see who bashed him and see those same people cheer as soon as they see 99 out there.

In all fairness, there are plenty of us who know how good he is and know how important he is to this defense, but did not think his holding out over a 3 yr opt out clause was a good idea. It was asking WAY too much.

The Rams offered plenty despite having Donald under contract for another 2 yrs. He realizes that and has returned to work. He needn't worry. He's gonna be a very rich man.

…..

Legend
I think the 24 hr rule should apply to this topic. Well...not the topic, but its direction. We all have individual opinions on Donald and the Rams and they wont change much. I suspect time will heal some wounds but some new opinions have been formed and alot of those are cemented.

That said, we will eventually move on from discussing whether Donald stole a paycheck and disrespected his team/fan base vs whether he's a smart, articulate planner making a business move. The real topic now is wether we believe Donald is worth the amount of cap space needed to secure his services. I think we are equally divided on that subject too!

Before all this, I saw him as Aaron Donald, a particularly talented football player on my favorite team. I got alittle bit of insight into his personality thanks to Hard Knocks. That softened the concerns about his sometimes rough play. Though not quite dirty like Suh, Donald has raised a few eyebrows at times but we as fans see him through rose colored glasses. However, after this off season and holdout, I simply see him as Aaron Donald, Employee No. 99

I gotta be honest....I am not convinced for or against making him the highest paid player. I just dont know how much cap percantage devoted to one player will affect the teams chances to win. For me, the health of the team is first and foremost and I tend to side with the Team's decisions believing they try to do whats best.

For this player, thats all its going to be about. Whether Employee No. 99 should command our cap.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It is business on both sides. Did Aaron Donald have the "right" to ask for what he is asking and hold out to get it? Yes. Do I agree he deserves to be paid as the highest paid Defensive player in the league? Yes. Do I agree that with his (reported) "over salary" demands? No. Do I hate Aaron Donald for this? No. But I AM a RAMS FAN. I root for the TEAM .... the COLORS ... the HORNS. Here is the thing. AD has/had the right. The Rams have been and are willing to make him a very very rich man. The Rams had/have the leverage.

This whole thing seems to have been handled wrong from AD's agent, IMHO. I side with the organization on this for a couple reasons. 1) They have to be good stewards of their salary cap, else they stand a chance of staying in "rebuild" stage for many more years. 2) ALL reports are that the Rams have made (more than one) VERY FAIR offer .... which is telling us they are NOT "low balling" him. Also the reports of things like "over salary" demands, "front loaded guaranteed $$$" and what not ... well that is his and his agent's right to ASK for ... but not likely OR expected. Ian Rappaport said again this morning , as well as latest article by Vinny Bonsignore... NOBODY in the league ... meaning GM's and Owners, would have given into the demands, especially with having TWO yrs left on his contract. and Rams' leverage to hold onto him for another two if they wish.

If I am AD ... I would really really consider taking this offer. Especially if he truly is worried about injury risk, etc. .. .because right now he has NO leverage. take the mega $$$ deal and live happily ever after. Become a HOF'er and collect your millions. Because if you keep playing the game your agent has advised .. you will still be working for "peanuts" WITH the risk of getting injured and then ... *crickets*

Am I glad he is back? Yes. Will I cheer him on on the field? Yes. But I am and will remain on the organization's side on this if he keeps expecting them to do what is bad for the TEAM just to appease his wishes. The Rams have shown that they are not going to be "cheap" with their guys in the past ... Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Bradford, and many others GOT PAID by the Rams. Even deals like Tavon's show that they aren't "cheap" (although I hated that deal). The guy is GOING TO GET PAID. They just aren't going to let him strangle their ability to do what's right for the other guys as well.

So ... let's get on with the season and hope this all gets resolved. Because quite frankly ... I am tired of the nonsense.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: Aaron Donald had no choice but to return to Rams
AR-170909528.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Rams General Manager Les Snead shakes hands with Aaron Donald
during organized team activities at California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, CA. June 13, 2017. (Photo by Hans Gutknecht/SCNG, file)

By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

From the outset, the Aaron Donald contract holdout seemed a bit dubious. The longer it dragged on through OTAs, training camp and preseason games, the more equivocal it became.

That he finally returned early Saturday morning, just ahead of the Rams season opener Sunday against the Colts — with no new deal in hand — only adds to the puzzlement.

As in, what was all that for?

We know why he’s back, of course. Had he not reported in time for the season opener he stood to lose the $100,000 in salary his weekly game check represented. Donald won’t play Sunday, but he’ll collect his money. It would have been ludicrous for him to play it any other way. A hundred grand is a hundred grand, no matter how entrenched Donald is in his negotiating position or how hurt his pride might be by the Rams not checking off all his contract demand boxes.

The bigger question is, what, exactly is his optimum end game and did he really think holding out all this time was going to deliver his ideal outcome?

Because, I have to tell you, no one in the NFL believed for one second a guy with two years left on his original contract and who’s under team control the next four years was going to get all his wishes granted.

That kind of leverage is reserved for players who play out their contracts, earn free agency and peddle their talent across the entire 32-team league.

And let’s be frank here. By wishes we mean whatever overall salary number he believes he’s worth over the current highest-paid defensive player, what percentage of that number is guaranteed up front and what percentage of that overall number is guaranteed within the first three years or so of the deal.

Donald has his number.

The Rams have their number. And by all indications, it’s a number big enough to insure Donald is the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL

Those numbers, obviously, don’t jive. Obviously, right. That was the reason for the long holdout.

Thing is, you wonder why it took so long for Donald and his agent to figure out the Rams weren’t about to budge from that number when everyone understood they had all the leverage.

The Rams were always open and willing to re-do his rookie contract to reflect his status as one of the best defensive players in the NFL, if not the best. When other teams would have hung up when his agent called expressing a desire to renegotiate the original five-year rookie deal Donald is playing under — the one that still has two years remaining on it -- the Rams embraced the idea.

They covet Donald for everything he’s done over his first three seasons, outplaying his first-round draft position to become the NFL’s best interior defensive lineman and, in the process, setting a towering professional and personal standard that a young team desperately in need of leadership could emulate.

For all of those reasons, the Rams were willing to pay top dollar — likely the most ever for a defensive player — to make sure Donald remained in the fold for a very long time.

That was made clear to Donald and his people very early on in the process.

Naturally, they wanted more.

Understandable. That’s what agents do. Of course they were going to swing for the fences, given the immense talent of their client and the fact that NFL players usually get one big bite of the contract apple during their careers.

This isn’t baseball or basketball, where longevity and rules give star players multiple chances to secure huge paydays.

It makes perfect sense they’d assert every ounce of pressure to get the Rams to go higher and higher and higher.

The reality is, there was no way the Rams were going to go as high as Donald wanted them to. And still won’t. Not with them holding all the cards, this year, next year, the year after that and the year after that.

You wonder if Donald gets that now, and that him ending this confusing holdout is the catalyst for a deal to come together quickly.

What are his other options? Play the next two years for the guaranteed $8.9 million he’s got coming to him? Or say yes to somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 million-$75 million on the table?

Seems pretty obvious what the answer should be.

But then, we’ve all been saying that for more than a month now.

[www.pasadenastarnews.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...a-nine-day-roster-exemption-for-aaron-donald/

Rams get a nine-day roster exemption for Aaron Donald
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2017

501241556-e1505013376691.jpg

Getty Images

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald has indeed returned, and the team has reinstated him to the roster. But the Rams didn’t have to make a corresponding roster move to create a space for him.

The Rams have received a roster exemption through September 18, which allows them to carry 54 players through Week Two, if they choose to do so.

If the Rams decide to activate Donald before Week Two, they’ll have to remove a player from the roster.

Donald will play when ready; he definitely won’t be playing in Week One. He could play in Week Two.
This ^ answered one of my two biggest questions, How long of an exemption did the Rams get! Now we have plenty of time to answer my 2nd question, Who will we cut!?! this is a good thing we have 9 days to make the decision!(y):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But Vinny! He had all the leverage the Rams had none! Don't let this 4 years of team control cloud your judgement!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Aaron Donald is back with the Rams, but what does it all mean?

upload_2017-9-10_11-2-44.png

Aaron Donald has been ruled out for Sunday's Rams opener but could see the field in Week 2. Kevin Reece/Icon Sportswire

Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- At last, Aaron Donald is back. The Los Angeles Rams' star defensive tackle ended his holdout Saturday and passed his physical. He will not play in Sunday's regular-season opener, and he still doesn't have the contract extension he seeks. But he's here, and that is a very important first step. I'll try to answer some of the key questions regarding his situation.

Aaron Donald has been ruled out for Sunday's Rams opener but could see the field in Week 2. Kevin Reece/Icon Sportswire
What is his roster scleituation?

The Rams sought a roster exemption for Donald, which is typical under these circumstances. It allows them to place Donald on the active roster -- and thus ensure he gets paid for that game -- without having to cut another player to get back down to 53. They'll make that decision after Sunday's game, and my guess is that it will be a center who gets cut. The Rams have four right now. Donald was previously on the reserve/did not report list.

What about his fines and compensation?

Donald was fined $40,000 for each day he did not report during training camp and the preseason, adding up to somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.4 million. But as ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, the Rams waived those fines. Pro Football Talk also reported that Donald will not lose any of his signing-bonus money. If his holdout would've lingered beyond Sunday's 4:05 p.m. ET kickoff, Donald would not have been paid one of his 17 game checks (players are paid during their bye weeks). Donald's base salary this year is $1,802,250, so he would have lost out on a little more than $106,000.

So what was the point of all this?

It's easy to say there was no point because Donald showed up without a new deal and now will not play in all 16 regular-season games. But look at it this way: Donald put pressure on the Rams to give him a lucrative contract extension, did not end up losing any money doing so and -- this is the big one -- avoided any injury risk leading up to the season. Fellow Rams defensive lineman Dominique Easley tore his ACL on a non-contact drill during training camp. Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr., taken one spot ahead of Donald in 2014, narrowly escaped a serious injury during a preseason game, and he, too, seeks a bigger contract.

When will he play?

Tough to say right now. There's little doubt on the Rams' side that Donald stayed in shape while working out in Pittsburgh, but strapping on the pads and repeatedly taking hits along the interior is completely different. They'll know more during practice this coming week, and they won't rush him. If they're confident he's ready to play Week 2 against Washington, great. If they have to wait until Week 3 (the following Thursday in San Francisco) or Week 4 (Oct. 1 in Dallas), they'll be fine with that, too. The Rams -- and, clearly, Donald -- are looking long term here.

Does this mean they're close to a deal?

Not necessarily. Donald's showing up doesn't mean there has been a major breakthrough in negotiations. There really hasn't been. The 26-year-old wanted to be back around his teammates, and, of course, he didn't want to miss a paycheck. The Rams' front office traveled to Atlanta the day before the final preseason game to meet with Donald's representatives at CAA, but they didn't really make much progress. They just want to keep the conversations going. I presume they will continue.

What's the holdup?

It has been pretty clear to me that the Rams understand if they're going to give Donald an extension, they basically need to make him the game's highest-paid defensive player. J.J. Watt is the best comparison in this situation, because he was considered the game's best defensive player when he signed his extension (with the Texans in 2014) and because he had completed only three NFL seasons by then. Watt's deal ultimately made him the game's highest-paid defensive player. There's no reason Donald wouldn't believe he's worthy of that, too, particularly when you consider that the top earner at his position, Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, is very nearly the game's highest-paid defensive player.

with that being the case, I would have to think it comes down to either ensuring that Donald is the highest-paid defensive player for a while -- which might mean blowing past the Von Miller deal, which includes $70 million guaranteed -- or giving him as much of his guaranteed money as possible up front. That could be a little tough. The Rams have only about $4.5 million in salary-cap space, according to ESPN's Roster Management System. They can restructure player contracts to open up more room, usually by turning base salaries into signing bonuses that are prorated over the length of a contract. But the Rams don't like doing that. They like minimizing what they prorate to maximize their salary-cap flexibility.

The best bet would probably be to give Donald a big chunk of his guaranteed money as a roster bonus that would be paid next spring. But what if Donald suffers a devastating injury before then? Maybe that's a concern on his side. Keep in mind: These are assumptions; I am not privy to what has been offered and what has been asked.

How does the defense look with and without him?

With Donald out, the Rams will start rookie Tanzel Smart at the 3-technique spot, alongside nose tackle Michael Brockers and defensive end Ethan Westbrooks. Smart is a sixth-round pick out of Tulane. Veteran offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, who blocks Smart every day in practice, said Smart has "outrageous potential." But he is also raw and a bit undersized. The Rams are fully healthy now. And when Donald returns, they should look very good on defense, especially in their front seven, with Robert Quinn, Alec Ogletree, Mark Barron and Connor Barwin making up a strong linebacking corps. ESPN's Football Power Index ranks the Rams defense 14th heading into the year, but Wade Phillips can do better than that.

[www.espn.com]

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mostly side with the players on contract negotiations. Football players are modern day gladiators and they run the risk of career ending injuries, CTE, and a hobbled, miserable old age. And unlike other pro sports, the NFL owners seem to have the upper hand in non- guaranteed contracts that enable them to throw players out with the trash.

That said, how much is enough for Aaron Donald? I'm reminded of Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner of the Dodgers who took a little less money in free agency this off season to remain in a comfortable spot with the Dodgers. Seriously, what's a couple of mil when your dealing with 60 or 70 million guaranteed dollars?

If the Bonsignore article is correct, sign the damn deal, Aaron.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20657283/rams-coach-sean-mcvay-helped-end-aaron-donald-holdout

One of the men who had a role in ending the stalemate between the Los Angeles Rams and Aaron Donald was rookie head coach Sean McVay, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Rather than traveling with the team to Green Bay for the Rams' final preseason game, McVay went to Atlanta with Rams executives to meet with Donald's representatives to see if they could find a compromise, sources tell Schefter.

McVay later flew from Atlanta to Green Bay to rejoin his team in time for that night's preseason game, but he missed the team activities earlier that day.

McVay's presence in Atlanta rather than being in Green Bay with his team was a sign of how important it was to him to have Donald back on the roster.

The Atlanta meeting helped increase dialogue between the two sides, and it helped result in Donald reporting to work Saturday, though he will not play Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW after this victory I'm glad Donald is back and my humblest apologies to the likes of @jrry32 & @12intheBox and any individual admitted to the Bar.

nighttrain

Legend
I was admitted to the Bar once, place in LA, go9t tossed out on my ass, never go back there again
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the Rams are taking a hard line after paying too much for receiver Tavon Austin and giving up too much for quarterback Jared Goff. If so, maybe they should wait for the next guy in line for a new deal to play hardball, given Donald’s value to the team.

maybe you're a fucking dickhead.

there's no maybes about it, you're a fucking dickhead.