The NFL bungles it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you look back on the overall product and popularity of the NFL just 10-15 years ago and look at it today, it's stunning how much they've gotten wrong. Goodell had a business, a sport and a fan base that sold itself in every way.

If he was a head coach he would have been crap-canned years ago.
I understand not liking the guy but this is just funny. He has one job and only one job and that's to make the owners money. in 2001 the NFL showed a revenue of $4.28 billion. In 2016 they showed a profit of $13.16 billion. Since he took over in 20016 their profits have doubled. Are there things he could have and should have done different? Absolutely same goes for the union and the owners. But the NFL is showing unprecedented revenue growth even if they lose a quarter of those gains they're still in amazing shape. For somebody who's supposedly done everything wrong he sure has accomplished his primary job well.

…..

Legend
You have a bunch of players doing stupid things at an alarming rate, yet the judgment always goes against the executioners. Anything short of absolute perfection gets blown up by a meddling media and public outcry.

Having said that, Goodell is coming off pretty stale and used up. In contrast, the recent suspension of that Houston Astros player for a racial gesture, and the subsequent explanation by the commissioner, was fair, eloquent and lauded by the critics. The big difference being NFL idiots do idiot things at an almost weekly rate, whereas MLB players rarely put that kind of challenge on their league office.

So am I saying that the NFL has stupid fkn players as opposed to MLB? Yes, why yes I am.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I understand not liking the guy but this is just funny. He has one job and only one job and that's to make the owners money. in 2001 the NFL showed a revenue of $4.28 billion. In 2016 they showed a profit of $13.16 billion. Since he took over in 20016 their profits have doubled. Are there things he could have and should have done different? Absolutely same goes for the union and the owners. But the NFL is showing unprecedented revenue growth even if they lose a quarter of those gains they're still in amazing shape. For somebody who's supposedly done everything wrong he sure has accomplished his primary job well.

Well said.

________

The 3 main points for this thread doesn't really add up the NFL is fucking things up.

1. Dallas RB - he was handed down a strong punishment for something he wasn't charged for but still in violation of the leagues personal conduct policy. Dallas RB is extending this unnecessarily and could hurt the team in December. Ben Roethlisberger wasn't charged and still served his suspension.

2. Colin Kaeperwhatever - He's paying for his actions. We all know what they are, and him not being signed is HIS OWN DOING.

3. AJ McCarron - that is such a minor issue and I don't even think will be as overblown as the previous two.

So 2 issues at the fault of the player and/or their reps and 1 petty issue.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The NFL has been the most popular sport in the country for years. But they've been taking a lot of hits lately. MLB could catch up. Didn't help the NFL that the World Series was an entertaining 7 games. Well, except for the last one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL has been the most popular sport in the country for years. But they've been taking a lot of hits lately. MLB could catch up. Didn't help the NFL that the World Series was an entertaining 7 games. Well, except for the last one.
I agree but MLB has it's own issues. Mostly you look at it's fan demographics it's not set up for long term success. Then one of the biggest issues for national success is their TV deals are local and there's a minimal national TV presence. Which in some ways is very nice but it limits it's exposure as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That corporate mentality of everything is peaches because the bottom line looks great...is capitalistic buffoonery. The fans aren't happy. The owners aren't happy. The players aren't happy. But fuck it, we're making a profit.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I agree but MLB has it's own issues. Mostly you look at it's fan demographics it's not set up for long term success. Then one of the biggest issues for national success is their TV deals are local and there's a minimal national TV presence. Which in some ways is very nice but it limits it's exposure as well.

It probably doesn't help that its a summer sport and people are doing other things. Plus, so many games you can watch only ten percent of them and catch as many games as a whole season of NFL. I only watch maybe a game a week during baseball season if that. And that is if its a night game and there's nothing else on. I will watch the postseason though.

…..

Legend
That corporate mentality of everything is peaches because the bottom line looks great...is capitalistic buffoonery. The fans aren't happy. The owners aren't happy. The players aren't happy. But freak it, we're making a profit.

Jeez man....Drama much?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That corporate mentality of everything is peaches because the bottom line looks great...is capitalistic buffoonery. The fans aren't happy. The owners aren't happy. The players aren't happy. But freak it, we're making a profit.
Fans aren't happy? Is it with Goodell or the players that they aren't happy? Never mind that question it'll just get the thread locked. You're putting all the blame on the commissioner when there are a lot of people in the game that are doing what you're solely blaming Goodell for.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Polls show over and over that people, the paying fans of the sport, are tired of seeing players beat women, get DUI's, fail drug tests and PED tests then sit out a couple of games then continue to make millions. Paying fans are tired of seeing lousy refs make huge mistakes over and over with no real accountability.

You have a bunch of players doing stupid things at an alarming rate, yet the judgment always goes against the executioners. Anything short of absolute perfection gets blown up by a meddling media and public outcry.

So am I saying that the NFL has stupid fkn players as opposed to MLB? Yes, why yes I am.
The percentage of players that are fucking up compared to society at large would surprise you...I believe I heard that .5% or less were in any type of trouble. Much less than society at large...too early for me to start attaching links.

It's really just a few bad apples....

And, I'm still not sure Zeke did anything wrong.

I KNOW Colin Kaepernick did NOTHING WRONG.

When MLB was doing steroids...they were a better league...they are still the least popular sport. They have the strongest union. Probably due to the fact they were formed in a time when unions were king.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fans aren't happy? Is it with Goodell or the players that they aren't happy? Never mind that question it'll just get the thread locked. You're putting all the blame on the commissioner when there are a lot of people in the game that are doing what you're solely blaming Goodell for.
Yeah i'm not here to take sides politically. We have to be able to have this discussion without going there.

It's certainly more complicated than that sure, but it's all ultimately Goodell's responsibility and accountability.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The percentage of players that are freaking up compared to society at large would surprise you...I believe I heard that .5% or less were in any type of trouble. Much less than society at large...too early for me to start attaching links.

It absolutely is lower than society at large it's unfortunate that they get such bad press but then they're in the spotlight much more than your average Joe.

And, I'm still not sure Zeke did anything wrong.

You and I and the rest will never know as the case never went to trial. Guilty and innocent both have that happen to them and it just leaves questions.

I KNOW Colin Kaepernick did NOTHING WRONG.

He did many things wrong. First thing he did wrong was opt out of his contract. He should have made the team cut him giving him guaranteed money and a great leg to stand on for this collusion case. As for the rest of his actions whether they were right or wrong is subjective and a topic the mods don't want us getting into here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah i'm not here to take sides politically. We have to be able to have this discussion without going there.

It's certainly more complicated than that sure, but it's all ultimately Goodell's responsibility and accountability.
And does the players union not have any accountability for their part in the health of the game? Anybody who says they don't play a role in it is just blind sorry. There are 2 issues affecting the popularity of the game right now from what you read from fans. Over saturation of the game on national TV. And the players and their protests. Depending on who you talk to some say the league is the most at fault and some say the players are. And of Goodell comes down on the players some will crucify him and some will applaud him. He can't win in that arena. As for the over saturation there's nothing he can do right now, he has to wait for the new TV contract.

As far as the punishments go the NFLPA is 100% on equal footing for the bad press for them. They wrote off on this and are just as much to blame for signing it in to the last CBA.

tempests

Hall of Fame
The big difference being NFL idiots do idiot things at an almost weekly rate, whereas MLB players rarely put that kind of challenge on their league office.

Disagree. MLB has similar issues with their players, especially in the 1980s. It was scandal after scandal after scandal.

…..

Legend
Disagree. MLB has similar issues with their players, especially in the 1980s. It was scandal after scandal after scandal.

um...Ok.

I don't recall any murders, lawsuits, wife beatings but yeah the 80's? ...only 3 decades ago so seems applicable to me.

tempests

Hall of Fame
um...Ok.

I don't recall any murders, lawsuits, wife beatings but yeah the 80's? ...only 3 decades ago so seems applicable to me.

And 3 decades from now expect similar sarcastic remarks about this period in the NFL.

Scandals have long been prevalent among amateur and pro sports. There never was a golden era in the NFL; owners have always been crooked. player misconduct has always been an issue, commissioners have always been embarrassing. We just didn't have the 24/7 coverage we have now.

…..

Legend
And 3 decades from now expect similar sarcastic remarks about this period in the NFL.

Scandals have long been prevalent among amateur and pro sports. There never was a golden era in the NFL; owners have always been crooked. player misconduct has always been an issue, commissioners have always been embarrassing. We just didn't have the 24/7 coverage we have now.

ok...non sarcastically, the NFL seems to be in the news in negative lite as it stands now, today.

Baseball? Not so much.

Look it's just an observation. I'm not putting one league against the other with any bias. And it's just my opinion with no real facts to support it. I could be missing something.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How will that help? Vincent isn't exactly the brightest peanut in the turd. Anybody currently or even in the past associated with the NFL or the Union should not be considered for future employment with anything more strenuous than counting peanuts.
He knows the position and has played the game. That is two big pluses to make him better than GoodHell. But then again, that is not a high standard. Next time though, I'd suggest you use cracking corn in your analogy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He has one job and only one job and that's to make the owners money.

That's sort of an oversimplification and he is the one who has trumpeted "protect the shield" while pissing off fans.

The 3 main points for this thread doesn't really add up the NFL is freaking things up.

It isn't just those three things, and it isn't just now and in the moment, this has been festering for a few years and it's not going to just get better.

Fans aren't happy? Is it with Goodell or the players that they aren't happy?

The percentage of players that are freaking up compared to society at large would surprise you...I believe I heard that .5% or less were in any type of trouble. Much less than society at large...too early for me to start attaching links.

It absolutely is lower than society at large it's unfortunate that they get such bad press but then they're in the spotlight much more than your average Joe.

There are 2 issues affecting the popularity of the game right now from what you read from fans. Over saturation of the game on national TV. And the players and their protests.

OldSchool I agree with you on the players union and have said they share blame, and I this Smith is a dumbass.

I also agree with you and Champ that the percentage of crimes committed is lower than the general public. Without looking I'm going to guess that it's higher than average in their financial demographic. But that isn't the point, you are right they get a lot of media coverage when they slap a woman around, or cheat and we end up with Spygate or a guy gets caught using steroids. Then when they sit for 4 games or get a slap on the wrist and go back to making millions it irritates the "Average Joe" who doesn't have a chance to make that kind of money and would get in more trouble if they did the same thing.

However, I disagree with your claim that there are only two things affecting the popularity of the game, and there is a serious and in depth study which I have quoted previously. The lousy refs/too many penalties, the protests, too many commercials/length of games and over saturation are the big 4. (Mark Cuban was partly correct). And each of those are all somewhat close in the "percentage of fans upset about......." so it's not just one thing. It's a bunch.

The NFL is suffering from serious image issues aside from the protests, and was suffering from them well before the protests. They have had a shitstorm in the last several years and media scrutiny has increased while that storm has continued. It didn't have to happen this way, the person tasked with managing the league, and not just "one job make owners more money" has been fucking up at his job too often. I won't list the issues again, I mentioned some in the original post.

But I'll say this right now.

The NFL will enact a policy, exactly like the NBA has had for years and years, requiring every player and member of the teams staff to stand in an orderly fashion for the National Anthem. They should have already done it IMO. After they do that NOTHING about the popularity of the game or the TV ratings will change much IMO. People will still be pissed about the host of other things. The NFL has that many things about it to dislike.

Yeah it's profitable like nobody's business, but that's because of the TV contracts and the fact that owners are ripping fans off at the stadium. Profitability and popularity can be on the same arc, and that's good. But when they are on different arcs that's fraught with danger.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@LesBaker
What about all the streaming? I can't believe most of America is forking over $$$$ to pay to watch anything....so, does stream views register as normal viewership????