The hamburger debate!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Brown sauce is good! Not man enough for Haggis though.

Pretty sure it's still illegal in the states anyway. The FDA won't allow for sheep lungs in our food yet, but you can be sure some lobbyist is working on it.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Peeps denying the glory of Mayo are seriously flawed individuals! How the hell do you eat classic american potato salad? Egg salad? Tuna salad? Coleslaw?

Fav. ways to eat mayo...

Burgers
Sammies
Breakfast Sammies :sick: :sick: :sick:
Potato salad - mayo AND deli mustard, eggs, herbs
Egg and Tuna Salad - mayo AND mustard and Sriracha or salsa
Coleslaw - I make an East Carolina style: NO MAYO, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, soy, sesame and S&P

MAYO on its own is not appetizing, but if you like it go for it Greg et al

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Potato salad - mayo AND deli mustard, eggs, herbs
Egg and Tuna Salad - mayo AND mustard and Sriracha or salsa
Coleslaw - I make an East Carolina style: NO MAYO, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, soy, sesame and S&P

MAYO on its own is not appetizing, but if you like it go for it Greg et al
Yeah I've had a few different recipes of potato salad and slaw without mayo, and they're great! Yeah, if you mean mayo on it's own as just eating a spoonful of Mayo I agree 1000% :LOL: But man... slatered on a BLT or ham and swiss sammy? Mmmmmmm!!!!!!

PS... on my breakfast sammies it's just a lil bit for moisture.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Yeah I've had a few different recipes of potato salad and slaw without mayo, and they're great! Yeah, if you mean mayo on it's own as just eating a spoonful of Mayo I agree 1000% :LOL: But man... slatered on a BLT or ham and swiss sammy? Mmmmmmm!!!!!!

PS... on my breakfast sammies it's just a lil bit for moisture.
I used to like just miracle whip on ham and said, but not so much anymore. I'm not judging anyone. If anyone likes mayo on its own or alone on a sandwich that's great. I'll just pass on that.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Will the good people of ROD judge me if I admit to not loving bacon? Sorry. It's just on literally everything. Sometimes just forget the bacon, ok?

I can not recall if you live in the States or abroad. I can say that bacon in this country is certainly different than the "bacon" in the United Kingdom.

When we were in that part of the world that bacon was somewhere between our ham and our bacon. And found it unappealing. Bacon is not round in my trailerhood.

Could that be it?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Haggis for you... more bacon for the rest of us. LOL

I'd love to try it. Can you try and explain what it tastes like and it's consistency/texture?

It's kinda like beef mince in appearance but the texture is different. Because there are oats through it you get a bit more bite than you would with beef mince. It tastes great, subtly spicy and meaty. Someone told me it is actually banned in the USA because you guys have different standards when it comes to human consumption of Offal but I'm not sure if that's true.

I did not know until today that British bacon is different from American bacon. I dont like whatever bacon I get here at home then.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pepper Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and siracha mayo.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brown sauce is superb I wouldn’t put it on a burger personally though. I love bacon as well, I’d stick that on the burger with some fried onions, cheese and tomato.

Here’s Frank Bruno advertising HP Brown sauce!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgbJKFY9MI

Tano

Legend
I have always been a mayo & ketchup fan - put it on a lot of stuff

so

Mayo
Ketchup
Cheese
Pickles

But slightly off topic - have you ever put syrup on scrambled eggs - just awesome

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cheese, ketchup and tomato are no brainers for me. Its a tossup between the mayo and onions. I guess I would choose the mayo most time.

oldnotdead

Legend
When I was growing up there was a tiny burger stand on the corner of Van Nuys Blvd, and Laurel Canyon. When I say tiny it was 4 maybe 5 stools at a counter, under an awning. There was no interior. I believed the place was called Anna's after the owner's wife who was his inspiration and driving force. He was an Army buddy of my father. He served burgers and fries only. When you ordered he would reach into his fridge take out some cubed beef, and grind it right then to make the paddy. He cooked it over a gas grill much like a home BBQ today and served it with homemade fries. You could have whatever you wanted on it, and it was there that I got my introduction to fast food and how good it could be if done right.

The burgers were juicy, full of flavor and still rank as perhaps the best burgers I've ever had. I continued to go there as a teen and he taught me a whole lot about business and fast food. He taught me how to make the best fries. Fries so good that when I opened my first business at 18 (a burger and hotdog stand) the brewery across the street would order fries by the box and LAFD and LAPD from all over the San Fernando Valley would come to get fries, burgers and dogs. For those that have had a Big City Red charbroiled dog you will know what I'm talking about.

Ingredients and how it's cooked is the secret and IMO the more you need to dress the burger up the less it says about your burger.

Tano

Legend
When I was growing up there was a tiny burger stand on the corner of Van Nuys Blvd, and Laurel Canyon. When I say tiny it was 4 maybe 5 stools at a counter, under an awning. There was no interior. I believed the place was called Anna's after the owner's wife who was his inspiration and driving force. He was an Army buddy of my father. He served burgers and fries only. When you ordered he would reach into his fridge take out some cubed beef, and grind it right then to make the paddy. He cooked it over a gas grill much like a home BBQ today and served it with homemade fries. You could have whatever you wanted on it, and it was there that I got my introduction to fast food and how good it could be if done right.

The burgers were juicy, full of flavor and still rank as perhaps the best burgers I've ever had. I continued to go there as a teen and he taught me a whole lot about business and fast food. He taught me how to make the best fries. Fries so good that when I opened my first business at 18 (a burger and hotdog stand) the brewery across the street would order fries by the box and LAFD and LAPD from all over the San Fernando Valley would come to get fries, burgers and dogs. For those that have had a Big City Red charbroiled dog you will know what I'm talking about.

Ingredients and how it's cooked is the secret and IMO the more you need to dress the burger up the less it says about your burger.
When I first started my job at Farmers Insurance at their Corporate Office, there was a hamburger hole in the wall nearby called Big Ts

They had the best hamburger for the first few years of my job.

Then it got sold twice after the owner and his wife started getting into big fights and it went downhill from there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When I was growing up there was a tiny burger stand on the corner of Van Nuys Blvd, and Laurel Canyon.
On the opposite end of Van Nuys Blvd at Ventura Blvd. there was an early 'high end' burger palace known as the Hamburger Hamlet, and next door was a French 'style' creamery known as the Wil Wrights Ice Cream Parlor, both places were a bit 'before their time' in elegance for mid-1960's burger & ice cream eateries.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When I first started my job at Farmers Insurance at their Corporate Office, there was a hamburger hole in the wall nearby called Big Ts

They had the best hamburger for the first few years of my job.

Then it got sold twice after the owner and his wife started getting into big fights and it went downhill from there.

Back in the 50's, 60's and into the early 70's, many parts of L.A. and all over the San Fernando Valley, tiny 4 & 5 seat burger joints were dotted everywhere, the establishments weren't much larger than 100 sq. feet total if even that. Most are gone now, but the few that remain are primarily taco stands, and the food is usually pretty good at these 'hole in the walls', better and more authentic than a lot of the more upscale restaurants. jmo.

oldnotdead

Legend
On the opposite end of Van Nuys Blvd at Ventura Blvd. there was an early 'high end' burger palace known as the Hamburger Hamlet, and next door was a French 'style' creamery known as the Wil Wrights Ice Cream Parlor, both places were a bit 'before their time' in elegance for mid-1960's burger & ice cream eateries.

Oh yeah, I used to go there when I lived in Sherman Oaks. They used to have a loaded hashbrown dish I'd get with a side of bacon. LOL Down Ventura Blvd in Studio City there was another hamburger stand where the guy ground the burger fresh to order. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place. He also just had stools. When I told him about the place I used to go to he laughed and said he used to go there as well. He wouldn't admit it but I think he stole the idea.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Down Ventura Blvd in Studio City there was another hamburger stand where the guy ground the burger fresh to order. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place. He also just had stools.

Was this place on the corner of Laurel Cyn. and Ventura ? And did it not face either street directly, but was shaped to aim at both main streets ?

oldnotdead

Legend
No, it was on Ventura between Carney's and Miceli's which is around Cahuenga if I remember correctly. Back in the 70's after I got off active duty I used to spend endless hours simply cruising the Valley, LA, Hollywood, Malibu, etc. Stopping to eat when I got hungry and there was always somewhere with decent food open no matter what the hour. Back then LA was a 24 hr city.

Burgers were a major part of my diet, unfortunately. But I could go to Gardena for sushi, stay closer to home (when I lived in Santa Monica) for salads and seafood, the valley for burgers, East LA for great Mexican, South Central for outstanding BBQ, you name I knew where to go.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No, it was on Ventura between Carney's and Miceli's which is around Cahuenga if I remember correctly. Back in the 70's after I got off active duty I used to spend endless hours simply cruising the Valley, LA, Hollywood, Malibu, etc. Stopping to eat when I got hungry and there was always somewhere with decent food open no matter what the hour. Back then LA was a 24 hr city.

Burgers were a major part of my diet, unfortunately. But I could go to Gardena for sushi, stay closer to home (when I lived in Santa Monica) for salads and seafood, the valley for burgers, East LA for great Mexican, South Central for outstanding BBQ, you name I knew where to go.

I went to High School with Miceli's daughter, a true beauty who was killed when her A.H. boyfriend drove off Mulhullond Dr. while racing in our senior year.
The early 70's were great cruising years for my friends and I also, almost always ended with a burger somewhere. Bob's Big Boy in Burbank to the Sandcastle in Malibu and everything in between, those years were some of the best.