The Countdown to Kickoff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Jim Youngblood had an interesting 12-year-career. Really only a six-year-starter. Drafted in the 2nd round of 1973 but played behind the solid Ken Geddes for three years, and did not start a single game until 1976. Injuries, Strike and young-LB-talent limited Youngblood to just 10 games started over his final three years.

Those middle six seasons Jim Youngblood was a durable, solid and productive player.

Agree that he was the best #53 ...
1720967651612.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Mike Henry had a nice acting career; and was in a number of really good movies but may best be remembered as Hot Lips' husband Donald Penobscot in M*A*S*H ...
1720974482651.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mike Henry had a nice acting career; and was in a number of really good movies but may best be remembered as Hot Lips' husband Donald Penobscot in M*A*S*H ...
Mike Henry & Terry Crews, still remember when the Rams drafted Crews in the 11th round out of Western Michigan in 1991.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ernest Jones is our current #53. Let's hope we re-sign him to a long-term contract.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Kent Hill

1st Round Pick in 1979. Starter by mid-season; and started in Rams' first Super Bowl.
Started at LG for the next 6 seasons; 5 Pro Bowls. Big contributor to Eric Dickerson's success from 1983-1986.
Part of the 1987 trade that brought Jim Everett to the Rams.

View attachment 65910 View attachment 65911
I remember watching plays where when you saw Kent Hill pulling around right tackle hitting the gap, you knew that somebody on the opposing team was gonna get hurt. The biggest, fastest and most agile guard that I ever saw play, in his day.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Jim Youngblood had an interesting 12-year-career. Really only a six-year-starter. Drafted in the 2nd round of 1973 but played behind the solid Ken Geddes for three years, and did not start a single game until 1976. Injuries, Strike and young-LB-talent limited Youngblood to just 10 games started over his final three years.

Those middle six seasons Jim Youngblood was a durable, solid and productive player.

Agree that he was the best #53 ... View attachment 66135
2nd team All Pro and Pro Bowler on the 1979 NFC Champions. Put a serious hurt on Toomy Kramer at the old Met in an LA RAMS rout in 1978 after Tarkenton had been pulled for ineffectiveness.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree that Andrews, Kelm and Polley all deserve mention; and would include Alec Ogletree.

1721063624920.png

However, for "The Tackle" alone, I would give #52 to Mike Jones.

1721063882682.png

sloramfan

Starter
i would not include ogletree....

go watch ALL of his plays....

you'll see what i saw, one of the weakest point of attack LB's the rams ever had...

and case in point, i never really paid that much to ogletree, until i went to the coliseum for the rams falcon playoff game...

they lost, and i had the all 22 on my computer, so when i got home, i watched the whole game...

i believe the rams had just gave the ball back to the falcons with the game still within reach and "matty ice" hit a receiver and ogletree had the angle and made a half assed attempt at a tackle...

i don't remember if the falcons scored on the play,or just made the first down and ran out the clock...

but what i do remember is the half assed attempt by ogletree, and it caused me to go back through the season and focus on ogletree's play...

it didn't take much before i was completely pissed off with what i was watching...

i know there are a lot of alec lovers that are good ramfans , but funny how that very offseason ogletree was dealt...

i think mcvay probably came to the same conclusion...we can do a lot better than that shit....

no #52 ogletree props for me

go rams

slo

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Kelm I remember well. Pergine, although he played (sparingly) during the 70's I didn't remember at all.

Had to look up his stats on PFR. Now I know why I didn't remember him!

Great memory (research?). They all count.
George Allen valued Pergine for his special teams contributions. So much so that Allen brought Pergine to Washington in 1973 where he played for the Redskins for three years. The Redskins part is research. But I do remember him on the RAMS in 1969-72.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall

you'll see what i saw, one of the weakest point of attack LB's the rams ever had...

and case in point, i never really paid that much to ogletree, until i went to the coliseum for the rams falcon playoff game...

they lost, and i had the all 22 on my computer, so when i got home, i watched the whole game...

i believe the rams had just gave the ball back to the falcons with the game still within reach and "matty ice" hit a receiver and ogletree had the angle and made a half assed attempt at a tackle...

i don't remember if the falcons scored on the play,or just made the first down and ran out the clock...

but what i do remember is the half assed attempt by ogletree, and it caused me to go back through the season and focus on ogletree's play...

it didn't take much before i was completely pissed off with what i was watching...

i know there are a lot of alec lovers that are good ramfans , but funny how that very offseason ogletree was dealt...

i think mcvay probably came to the same conclusion...we can do a lot better than that shit....

go rams

slo
Yeah, he was awful in the Atlanta game. He made splash plays but wasn't consistent. When the RAMS released him, I remember Gurley posting an emoji on social media expressing his displeasure that his fellow Bulldog was let go but Wade Phillips knew it had to be done for the good of the football team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Special Team Stalwart, Norwood Vann with ED.
1721134214932.png

Carlos Jenkins
1721134264394.png

Rick Nuzum
1721134318494.png

George Burman
1721134368765.png

Attachments

• 1721134192929.png
    1721134192929.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 14

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

go rams

slo
O-tree started out great, but he was playing on the outside. He was very athletic and could run down plays side to side. He was a tackling machine who was on a torrid pace in his second season before a season ending injury.
…then the Rams moved him inside.

He didn’t have the instincts to play MLB. He got stuck on blocks, didn’t like head on plays—not a MLB by any stretch. He was terrible and the Rams got rid of him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It doesn't say much when the top-players to wear #51 in Franchise History were primarily Special Teamers.

Norwood Vann was a good one; as were Joe Harris and Brett Faryniarz.

He played on some awful Rams teams but the best player who wore #51 was probably Will Witherspoon.
Spoon played with the Rams from (2006 into 2009 ... half a season). In 54 games, the Rams were 12-42. Yikes!
Returned to the Rams in 2013.
1721138750484.png