The Countdown to Kickoff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some guys just look like football players ... and some Really Don't.
This Guy Looks Like a Football Player
1722095846164.png

This Guy Does Not.
1722095890232.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This Guy Looks Like a Football Player
View attachment 66385

This Guy Does Not.
View attachment 66386

I was a miserable kid that 1973 off-season. Roman Gabriel out ... John Hadl in ... Are you kidding me!!!

Who is Chuck Knox!?! How will they replace Coy Bacon and Willie Ellison. Lawrence McCutcheon! Who's that!?!

It's kind of amazing when I think about. Being so clueless as a kid, how have I survived so long?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You loved Hadl back in the day! Especially his natural reverse mohawk!
You captured it in another thread, psychologically, when I saw someone Folically challenged, I thought old back although I did end up loving Hadl that year, even though he slumped the second half of the season.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was a miserable kid that 1973 off-season. Roman Gabriel out ... John Hadl in ... Are you kidding me!!!

Who is Chuck Knox!?! How will they replace Coy Bacon and Willie Ellison. Lawrence McCutcheon! Who's that!?!

It's kind of amazing when I think about. Being so clueless as a kid, how have I survived so long?
I had just turned 7 that year and felt the same way you did. In fact, I had informed family and friends that whoever won between the Rams and the Chiefs that year, in the first game was going to be my favorite team moving forward for the rest of my life. Rams won 23-13.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A Fan Favorite...Robert Delpino
1722176315327.png

If he only had a team....Steven Jackson
1722176382197.png

Solid backup RB, Rod Phillips
1722176435185.png

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He played for the 9er’s first. I remember Lon Simmons ridiculing him for being “2nd to the goal line” by getting burned too often.
Rams traded kicker Bruce Gossett for Alexander. George Allen at the time, did not want to trade Gossett, however, he needed a CB. So @David Ray if there is not Kermit Alexander, there would have been no David Ray.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
He played for the 9er’s first. I remember Lon Simmons ridiculing him for being “2nd to the goal line” by getting burned too often.
Lon Simmons, wow. Now there’s a name from past Bay Area sports lore.
Bravo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Kermit Alexander was a very good player, who deserves both Special Mention, and RESPECT.

Ten years after his career ended, Alexander's mother, sister and two nephews were murdered in their home in a gang-related-attack. The Killers had the wrong house. The intended victims lived a few doors-away.

Then, when Alexander was pushing 70, he and his wife decided to do a wonderful thing, and adopt an orphan from Haiti. The child had four siblings. The Alexanders adopted all five kids ...

1722182740863.png

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Kermit Alexander was a very good player, who deserves both Special Mention, and RESPECT.

Ten years after his career ended, Alexander's mother, sister and two nephews were murdered in their home in a gang-related-attack. The Killers had the wrong house. The intended victims lived a few doors-away.

Then, when Alexander was pushing 70, he and his wife decided to do a wonderful thing, and adopt an orphan from Haiti. The child had four siblings. The Alexanders adopted all five kids ...

View attachment 66406

This is a great story.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lon Simmons, wow. Now there’s a name from past Bay Area sports lore.
Bravo.
He was partnered with Russ Hodges in the Giants radio and television booth as well. I was just a kid but it sounded like Hodges was half in the bag by the later innings. If it was night game I would try, and usually succeed, and to tune in KFI.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was just a kid but it sounded like Hodges was half in the bag by the later innings. If it was night game I would try, and usually succeed, and to tune in KFI.
Those were the days when broadcasters could be drunk before the 7th inning stretch.
1722192343102.png

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Rams traded kicker Bruce Gossett for Alexander. George Allen at the time, did not want to trade Gossett, however, he needed a CB. So @David Ray if there is not Kermit Alexander, there would have been no David Ray.
While Gossett was still with the RAMS in 1969, Ray was activated for the final regular season game and the playoff game against the queens to handle the KO duties. He was a better athlete than Gossett. He caught a pass for a 1st down from Gabe in 1970 in a last minute drive that culminated with a game tying TD against Atl in the Coli. Was an emergency DB also.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
OMG, S-JAX! HOW COULD YOU ALL FORGET STEVEN FUCKING JACKSON?!!

He's the number 39.