CARDINALS The Arizona Cardinals Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
What an absolute turd

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
click link

God Bidwell thinks it's still the 1930's. What a mess that franchise is. They will never be a threat to win the division until there is a change of ownership.
Not to mention with diet such a HUGE part of your performance and conditioning, WHY mess with that?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Cardinals are sitting in one of the prime trade-down seats.

Do they pick, or trade down?

Me: they trade down.

2023 NFL Draft order​

1. Chicago Bears

2. Houston Texans

3. Arizona Cardinals

4. Indianapolis Colts

5. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

6. Detroit Lions (via LAR)

7. Las Vegas Raiders

8. Atlanta Falcons

9. Carolina Panthers

10. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

11. Tennessee Titans

12. Houston Texans (via CLE)

13. New York Jets

14. New England Patriots

15. Green Bay Packers

16. Washington Commodes

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

18. Detroit Lions

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

20. Seattle Seahawks

21. Miami Dolphins (Forfeited, no pick)

21. Los Angeles Chargers

22. Baltimore Ravens

23. Minnesota Vikings

24. Jacksonville Jaguars

25. New York Giants

26. Dallas Cowboys

27. Buffalo Bills

28. Cincinnati Bengals

29. New Orleans Saints (via SF via MIA via DEN)

30. Philadelphia Eagles

31. Kansas City Chiefs

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Confused Kevin Hart GIF
JMSbLKH.jpg

oldnotdead

Legend
I heard one of the sportscasters here in Tucson saying Gannon wants to run an RPO offense like Philly does with Hurts. LMFAO What does he think Kliff tried to do. The difference is Hurts is 6'1" 223 lbs, while Kyler Murray is 5'10" 194 lbs. After a couple of years of that, Kyler told Kliff no more planned runs, i.e. no more RPO. Kyler told him he wanted to run around in the backfield making off schedule throws. Now Gannon thinks he's going to persuade Kyler to risk getting hurt again? Good fucking luck Gannon.

All I can say is that their defense probably will be better. My bet is Gannon will replace Joseph. Gannon is a disciple of Fangio and uses the split 2 high safety shell. But where he differs from most (like Morris) his safeties are aligned inside fifteen yards of the LOS. It allows them to support the run or disguise the backend coverage. They can rotate the cbs into playing quarters, or one safety will drop into the deep single high middle of the field or he can shade one side or the other depending upon the matchups. Gannon's scheme is more akin to Staley's than Morris' expected Tampa Two scheme. In other words expect to see more exotic schemes than the normal vanilla run by Joseph.

Defense is where I expect to see the real change in this team. Running a scheme that fits the strength of the players is something Morris needs to learn. When the Rams play the Cards under Gannon Morris needs to take notes.

Tano

Legend
Only if he is extremely mobile and always runs out of bounds to keep from getting hit. Because as I have said, running QBs that are short or do not have great arms (Murray/Jackson/Newton) have a limited time span in the league due to their legs eventually giving out from being hit all the time.

Wilson did well because he very seldom ran and when he did he slid most of the time. He was more of a passing QB who could run and those can last much longer. However, the sacks have eventually done him in.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Cardinals teammates feud over Kyler Murray: ‘He needs to grow up a little bit’​

The bashing continues, but this time it’s from his teammates.

As if the struggling quarterback doesn’t have enough adjustments to make after Arizona cleaned house and he tore his ACL, Kyler Murray has teammates fighting over him.

Soon-to-be free agent, tackle Kelvin Beachum, who protected Murray for three seasons, told Arizona Sports’ “Burns and Gambo” he believes Murray needs to “grow up a little bit” in order to become one of the great franchise quarterbacks on Wednesday.

“It’s not complicated. You gotta be a leader of man… He’s maturing… It’s not a completed process,” he said. “I didn’t say he lacks leadership. I just think he needs to grow up a little bit. I think if he has the ability and willingness to grow up, he’s going to be just fine.

“They paid him for a reason; they paid him because of his talent. He has the ability to lead. When you’re in that position, we need you to lead more. You’re the face of the franchise … you have to lead in every single capacity.”

Beachum believes the 2018 Heisman winner has the tools to get there as a top talent in the league, but he pointed out the challenges of getting to that point in a career.

View: https://twitter.com/AZSports/status/1633641249654833152?s=20

The comments prompted a user to tweet at Beachum writing, “Don’t you got his number bro? @KelvinBeachumJr.”

Fellow wide receiver Marquise Brown was upset by the feud and felt the need to step in between his teammates.

“I ain’t never seen this much collusion from within,” he tweeted. “We got each-other number but steady get on podcast or tweet sh!t it’ll be different if it was addressed in person first cause 1 ain’t never public bash or talk down anybody even after years of runing 4 his lif @KelvinBeachumJr.”

Murray, 25, was drafted in 2019 as the first overall pick and extended on a five-year deal to begin in 2024 worth up to $230.5 million by those no longer in the Cardinals organization.

New faces are in town after the 2022 season and it will be Murray’s first major adjustment after Arizona fired head coach Kliff Kingsbury and replaced him with Jonathan Gannon, along with hiring general manager Monti Ossenfort after former Steve Keim walked away due to health reasons.

In 2021, Murray was in the conversation as an MVP candidate and a leading quarterback in the league after giving the Cardinals an 11-6 season and their first playoff berth since 2015.

He threw for 3,787 yards with 24 touchdowns and completed a career-high 69.2% of his passes.

The 2022 season was a less convincing showing, going 4-9 before suffering an ACL tear in Week 14.

“Kyler is his own individual. He’s his own person, he beats to his own drum, which has made him what he is today,” Beachum concluded. “But, at the end of the day, you have to be able to lead an entire organization, you’ve got to lead a team.”

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez all you need to do is re-run the games of him sulking and pouting along the sideline when things didn't go his way. All the finger pointing he did when he got hurt and complained to Kingsbury. Everything was always someone elses fault. His refusal to study is a betrayal of his teammates who are giving 100% while he doesn't believe he needs to. There is no way he can lead when he has that kind of attitude. The fact that it's bad enough for it to be made public says it's far worse than most realize. When his OL is trying to shame him into putting in the effort he should be doing naturally if he's a mature leader that is a huge problem. Men are not going to follow a kid. They can draft all the talent in the world but will these guys stay beyond one contract when they are being "led" by an immature kid?

This what I've been saying that Gannon is inheriting a train wreck that he was so desperate to get the title he didn't look before he leapt.

Worse yet Kyler could care less. In his mind they are all wrong and there is nothing wrong with him. It's no coincidence that the very first season after signing his contract extension he totally bombs. The Cards were going no where before Kyler got hurt. His lack of study means he came into each game unprepared. Yet he took no responsibility for all the losses each week. Beachum is totally justified in saying what he did. He and everyone else on the team was betrayed by a petulant child. Kyler has his guaranteed money and he could care less if what he does takes money out of the pockets of his teammates.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

View: https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1638659566857752577?s=20

In a recent mailbag run, Albert Breer says the Cardinals will have to drop their initial expectations for a return on their star receiver.

“I don’t think it’ll be what they wanted initially. The ask had been a second-round pick and another asset. Based on indications I’ve gotten, that sort of return simply isn’t coming,” said Breer.

“I do think he’ll bring back more than Brandin Cooks did for the Texans—Houston got a 2023 fifth-rounder and ’24 sixth-rounder for him from the Cowboys—but it’ll probably be closer to that than what Arizona is looking for.

“The reason why? He’s missed 17 games in the past two years (11 because of injury), he’s about to turn 31 and he’s coming with strings attached (one being that he really doesn’t practice during the week, which is more manageable in some places than others). Because of that, you can immediately eliminate teams that are rebuilding, have a rookie quarterback, or might need a culture change (where the highest-paid players need to drive the atmosphere). That means the market is limited. He’s also owed $19.45 million for 2023.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Cardinals are sitting in one of the prime trade-down seats.

Do they pick, or trade down?

Me: they trade down.

2023 NFL Draft order​

1. Chicago Bears

2. Houston Texans

3. Arizona Cardinals

4. Indianapolis Colts

5. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

6. Detroit Lions (via LAR)

7. Las Vegas Raiders

8. Atlanta Falcons

9. Carolina Panthers

10. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

11. Tennessee Titans

12. Houston Texans (via CLE)

13. New York Jets

14. New England Patriots

15. Green Bay Packers

16. Washington Commodes

17. Pittsburgh Steelers

18. Detroit Lions

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

20. Seattle Seahawks

21. Miami Dolphins (Forfeited, no pick)

21. Los Angeles Chargers

22. Baltimore Ravens

23. Minnesota Vikings

24. Jacksonville Jaguars

25. New York Giants

26. Dallas Cowboys

27. Buffalo Bills

28. Cincinnati Bengals

29. New Orleans Saints (via SF via MIA via DEN)

30. Philadelphia Eagles

31. Kansas City Chiefs
All 3 of the top QBs in this draft (Levis, Young, Stroud) are guys I would trust more than what they have, and each of them possess more upside than he does. So the right answer is to take a QB and move Murray's snotty little ass to another team to be their problem. It's a bit of a windfall that they can fix their QB issues here. Question is whether the owner is too much of a dumbfuck to realize it.

Really have to wonder how a family line as stupid as the Bidwills got rich in the first place. I don't care enough to google it or anything but it's amazing to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Holy shit he looks and acts like Kendall Roy (for those of you who watch Succession).
Yeah and what a great show that is.

It's funny how much I like his history of coaching assignments and who he's worked for as well as the product he's put on the field, in the numbers and all that he looks like a fantastic hire. But then I saw that video and I had the same reaction I get when Kendall Roy is acting like a dumbass, where I want to grab him by the throat.

Really hope this is a shit hire for them. And honestly with the Bidwills running things will it be anything else, because they're gonna make that young coach endure their terrible QB pick because the owner's cheap and stupid.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Arizona Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill is accused of gross misconduct, including cheating, discrimination and harassment, in an arbitration claim filed Tuesday by former Cardinals executive Terry McDonough to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

McDonough maintained that both he and former Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks were left no choice but to follow Bidwill's plan to use burner phones to communicate with former Arizona general manager Steve Keim while Keim was serving a five-week suspension after pleading guilty to extreme DUI in Arizona.

McDonough said he still has the phone, which he said contains the evidence of the cheating scandal, as well as additional documentation.

In a detailed response sent to ESPN, the Cardinals strongly denied the allegations, calling them "outlandish."

"We are reluctantly obliged to provide a public response along with broader context for some disappointing and irresponsible actions by Terry McDonough," external public relations adviser to the Cardinals Jim McCarthy said in a statement. "Claims he has made in an arbitration filing are wildly false, reckless, and an opportunistic ploy for financial gain.

"Our position was consistent with many efforts we've made to accommodate Terry during his time with the team, despite difficulties in his personal life and his often volatile demeanor toward colleagues," the statement from McCarthy said. "That's why we are saddened to see that Terry is now lashing out at our organization with disparagements and threats that are absurdly at odds with the facts. This unnecessary and vindictive action by Terry was intended to malign his co-workers, our owner Michael Bidwill, and our team with outlandish accusations."

"In response to McDonough's objection to the illicit burner phone scheme, Bidwill cursed at, berated, and formally reprimanded McDonough, and ultimately demoted him -- irrevocably damaging the trajectory of McDonough's 34-year career in the National Football League."Terry McDonough's arbitration claim
In the filing, McDonough said he and Wilks "objected to and sought to avoid participation in a scheme hatched by Bidwill to utilize burner phones to communicate with general manager Steve Keim -- in violation of the terms of Keim's suspension for extreme DUI -- during a critical period of the Cardinals training camp in the summer of 2018.

"In response to McDonough's objection to the illicit burner phone scheme, Bidwill cursed at, berated, and formally reprimanded McDonough, and ultimately demoted him -- irrevocably damaging the trajectory of McDonough's 34-year career in the National Football League. Bidwill also subjected McDonough to bullying, mocking, harassing and abusive behavior."

The filing said that the day after McDonough told Bidwill neither he nor Wilks wanted to communicate with Keim during the suspension, Bidwill summoned him to his office and wrote him up for "insubordination." McDonough also accused Bidwill of sabotaging Wilks' first opportunity as an NFL head coach before he fired him at the end of his one season on the job. McDonough said Bidwill has continued to "demote and harass" him since summer 2018.

The Cardinals told ESPN that another executive "had interfered with the protocol of that suspension" and that the team had taken "additional measures." It also said that Bidwill took "swift action" and directed that phones be retrieved and "communications stopped."

McDonough is the son of legendary Boston Globe reporter Will McDonough and brother of ESPN broadcaster Sean McDonough. He was the Cardinals vice president of player personnel from 2014 to 2019. In 2017, he was a finalist for the San Francisco 49ers' general manager position, along with John Lynch and George Paton, the current general managers of the 49ers and Denver Broncos.

In the claim, McDonough said that opportunities for advancement in the NFL evaporated after his refusal to go along with Bidwill. McDonough is seeking damages for breach of contract and emotional distress.

The Cardinals have 20 days to respond to McDonough's claims under the NFL's dispute resolution procedural guidelines. Then Goodell "shall determine whether the dispute is football-oriented ... or not football-oriented" and whether the dispute is subject to arbitration.

If it is, "the Commissioner will conduct the arbitration in a manner designed to reach a fair and prompt outcome, consistent with the circumstances of the particular dispute."

The NFL said Tuesday, "We can confirm receipt of the claim which will be handled under the league's arbitration procedures." Wilks declined to comment.

"We are saddened to see that Terry is now lashing out at our organization with disparagements and threats that are absurdly at odds with the facts. This unnecessary and vindictive action by Terry was intended to malign his co-workers, our owner Michael Bidwill, and our team with outlandish accusations."
i

Jim McCarthy, external public relations adviser to the Cardinals
The Cardinals denied blocking McDonough's professional career, citing "praise to Mr. Bidwill, in particular for the extensive support and encouragement that Terry had received" and said that the team brass had "repeatedly encouraged and facilitated Terry's wish to continue his career advancement."

McDonough said he wants to prevent Bidwill from treating people the way he said he was treated and that he believes he is giving voice to a group of Cardinals' employees too scared to speak out against Bidwill. He called his treatment "consistent with a pattern of workplace misconduct by Bidwill that is endemic and the hallmark of his stewardship of the storied Cardinals franchise."

McDonough said in his filing that Bidwill had treated a Black employee and two pregnant women poorly and "created an environment of fear for minority employees." The filing did not include specifics on either alleged incident.

The Cardinals, citing a time when McDonough and Bidwill had met with free agent players, said that Bidwill had no racial animus and called McDonough's claim "a transparent smear that is truly beneath contempt."

"It must be stressed that our owner's long track record of fostering diversity and racial equity within our team and the League make this allegation especially despicable," the Cardinals said in their statement.

The grievance also said Bidwill reduced two pregnant women -- one five months pregnant, the other seven months -- to tears after screaming at them with "abusive and bullying mistreatment."

McDonough said he has proof that in 2019, the Cardinals' top brass decided to conduct an employee engagement survey with all their employees, only to see Bidwill intercept the results of the survey and cancel it.

"Many of the employees who responded to the survey indicated that they were fearful of Bidwill on a daily basis, as a result of Bidwill's erratic and often abusive interactions with them," the filing said.

The Cardinals responded by saying that "the 2019 employee survey referenced in the complaint was not ignored but in fact formed the basis for significant enhancements to our workplace practices. That included creating a new role for a Chief People Officer along with boosting our Human Resources staff and adding robust employee wellness initiatives."

The grievance that McDonough submitted to Bidwill's attorney last week and Goodell on Tuesday alleged that "Bidwill's widespread workplace misconduct is significantly worse than the misbehavior of former crosstown Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver," whom the NBA suspended one year and fined $10 million before he ultimately sold the franchise.

Bidwill fired Wilks after the 2018 season, when the team finished 3-13. At the news conference to announce the firing of Wilks, Bidwill said, "I didn't get it right" while Keim said, "We're all held accountable."

The grievance said: "The passage of time and exposure of the facts have revealed those comments to be almost perverse in their inaccuracy, misguidedness, and gaslighting nature. Steve Wilks has demonstrated that he is a skilled NFL head coach when he is not forced to cheat and is given an opportunity to succeed. And contrary to Keim's statement, neither he nor Bidwill have ever been held to account for their illicit actions during the 2018 preseason."

The grievance said that Wilks recently joined the racial discrimination class action lawsuit brought by former head coach Brian Flores against the NFL and its teams, with Wilks alleging that he was hired by Bidwill only to serve as a "bridge coach" without being given the opportunity to succeed and that he was "the fall guy for failures that were largely attributable to Keim."

The Cardinals also outlined a number of incidents they say were in "violation of our guidelines and the mutual trust in our workplace." They say McDonough was insubordinate and had clashes with colleagues.

"If an arbitration process results, we will welcome the opportunity to set the record straight in that forum and demonstrate how these claims have absolutely no validity or hard basis."

"Unfortunately, it appears that the Cardinals will defend this case through dishonest character assassination," McDonough's attorney Mike Caspino said in response to the Cardinals. "I look forward to arbitrating this case, and for the truth to come out."