CARDINALS The Arizona Cardinals Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel for Gannon - but he took the job knowing what he was in for. It would have been a bold strategy to throw Kyler under the bus in the first press conference; he’s got to at least pretend to support QB1. Come mid-season and it’s fair game.
Asshole Face fired some shots at Russell Wilson right away, both directly and indirectly. It was a smart strategy imo. But yeah. Payton is an established, successful NFL head coach.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Asshole Face fired some shots at Russell Wilson right away, both directly and indirectly. It was a smart strategy imo. But yeah. Payton is an established, successful NFL head coach.
I’m glad Asshole Face didn’t go to the Cardinals for that reason

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

RUMOR: Cardinals’ QB Kyler Murray Will Never Play For New HC Jonathan Gannon, According To NFL Insider​

Former NFL offensive lineman and current FOX NFL analyst Geoff Schwartz isn’t so sure that Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray will want to play for his new head coach.

The Cardinals hired ex-Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon as their new head coach, replacing Kliff Kingsbury after a disappointing four-win season. More drastic changes are expected to come to the The Desert soon.

Star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins is widely expected to get traded. Murray, who’s recovering from a torn ACL, is also expected to miss the start of the 2023 campaign.

During a recent edition of “First Things First”, (h/t Sportskeeda), Schwartz expressed some doubt that Murray may actually play for the Gannon-coached Cardinals:

The vibes are off right now, man, he’s not playing till November right now. They’re gonna trade his best player away. I don’t know if he ends up ever playing for Gannon. New general manager new, head coach they always want to do with their own quarterback.

Last offseason, Arizona handed Murray five-year contract extension worth $230.5 million. This came months after the No. 1 pick of the 2019 NFL Draft led Arizona to 11 wins as well as their first playoff berth since the 2015 season.

But the Cardinals were blown out by the NFC West rival Los Angeles Rams in the Wild Card Round, and the franchise hasn’t been the same since. They finished dead-last in the division and will enter 2023 with a new head coach, a new general manager, no more J.J. Watt (retired) and perhaps no more Hopkins.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Cardinals hire Drew Petzing as offensive coordinator​

With a defensive coordinator becoming the new head coach of the Cardinals, the most important hire as it relates to franchise quarterback Kyler Murray is offensive coordinator.

New Cardinals coach Jonathan Gannon has made his move.

Via multiple reports, former Browns quarterbacks coach Drew Petzing has gotten the job. Petzing, 35, will be responsible for designing, implementing, and executing the offense that Murray will run.

The bad news for the Cardinals is that, if it doesn’t work, they’ll need to hire a new coordinator. The other bad news for the Cardinals is that, if it does work, Petzig will become a head-coaching candidate. If he gets a job elsewhere, Gannon will be back to square one with the most important position and relationship on the team.

Petzing has been coaching at the NFL level since 2013, when he joined the Browns as a football operations intern. He arrived in Minnesota as part of Mike Zimmer’s original staff, and Petzing had multiple jobs there from 2014 through 2019.

He followed Kevin Stefanski to Cleveland in 2020, serving as tight ends coach for two years and quarterbacks coach in 2022.

Gannon and Petzing worked together for four years in Minnesota, where Gannon was assistant defensive backs coach from 2014 through 2017.

oldnotdead

Legend
LMFAO Gannon thinks he's going to get Kyler to learn a new offensive scheme? This is the KID that publicly said he hates to study and won't do it. Why does Gannon think they played with him in the gun all the time? It's what Kyler wants. He's got the guaranteed contract not Gannon.

The word is Kyler will fake not recovering from his ACL because of the offense change and medically retiring. With all his guaranteed money he never has to work again in his life. He just has to be on IR (the roster) at the start of the season and he walks away with his fully guaranteed contract. All $97.5M will hit the books immediately in 2024. The Cards need to use their first pick in this draft (#3) on a QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The word is Kyler will fake not recovering from his ACL because of the offense change and medically retiring.

Confused Kevin Hart GIF

nighttrain

Legend
Well, I don't know where else to put it, but Conrad Dobler passed away. He was a very dirty, yet very effective offensive lineman, and he was a mainstay for St. Louis Cardinals teams that my dad watched.

Rest in peace, Conrad.
I watched and saw Dobler bite Merlin Olsen on the leg, his calf muscle, he was at that time the dirtyist player in the NFL
train

oldnotdead

Legend
I live in AZ, so I guess I get different media. But there was one piece on MSN news that also mentioned it. The minute Gannon was hired many of my friend all laughingly were saying why would Kyler change? He has all the leverage to wield as he did with Kiiff. If he refuses to study and remember it's in his contract they can't force him to study then he won't ever learn the playbook well enough to implement Gannon's offense. So what will Gannon with his Eagle offense do? Continue to play the kid who only knows maybe some of the playbook, knowing he will just wing it with the rest? Gannon has no leverage over Kyler who has it in his contract that they can't force him to do squat.

All I'm saying here is that sounds like a very likely scenario. Keim really screwed the AZ Cards over giving in to Kyler and not telling Kliff the experiment was over and re-drafting another QB this year. Kyler is untradeable with that contract. This is why I've been saying Kyler is a coach killer and will never play in the NFL after this contract anyway.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hear Hollywood might be planning a movie on the Cardinals. To make it look realistic here are a couple players with Kyler Murray.

330758451_736115074807141_2279604698459367954_n.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I figure their defense will be a pain to play. But as a new coach with Bidwell's soft ass and the obvious requirement to try to salvage Murray he is doomed. Murray will undermine him and he will lose the team at some point.

oldnotdead

Legend
But as a new coach with Bidwell's soft ass and the obvious requirement to try to salvage Murray he is doomed. Murray will undermine him and he will lose the team at some point.

That is exactly the sentiment I hear from friends here in AZ. Gannon has zero leverage to force Kyler to change and Kyler knows it. He will simply stall as long as he can during the season. Then when and IF he is ready, what is Gannon going to do? Suddenly play a QB that doesn't know the offense or change it up in the middle of the season to suit one player?

It's going to be painful to watch.

oldnotdead

Legend
Story by Andrew Gould
While he acknowledged the unknowns, Bidwill's projection could be wishful thinking. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said last month that Murray will "take his time"

Ran across this, i.e. November or December by Rapoport's estimate. If they are out of contention by December does he play at all? Maybe retires in 2024 with all his guaranteed money? LOL

oldnotdead

Legend
click link

God Bidwell thinks it's still the 1930's. What a mess that franchise is. They will never be a threat to win the division until there is a change of ownership.