The Aaron Rodgers Saga

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always figure these things are agent leaked, to try to keep the client clean but also create some leverage with the team. Leaking it can create pressure by fans to keep Rodgers and give him a longer more lucrative contract.
Just seems like a lot of shade is thrown Rodgers way and yet there's no concrete which links to anything thats actually been said. In fact even most of the "new" news is just harboring back to what we knew months ago
What I did see him say, well when I saw him speak, he was flat out 'turrible on Jeopardy. Either way, eff him if he stays in GB, eff him if he leaves...

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
That Brady guy only has 6 rings. Yeah AR the GOAT!! 3 time MVP. Host of Jeopardy! 89.9 QB rating in CCG 2011-2020. I find it amazing the Rodgers drama has actually made Brady look better!
If the Rams needed a qb and could get either Rodgers or Brady, who would you take? Even if they were the same age?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just seems like a lot of shade is thrown Rodgers way and yet there's no concrete which links to anything thats actually been said. In fact even most of the "new" news is just harboring back to what we knew months ago
What I did see him say, well when I saw him speak, he was flat out 'turrible on Jeopardy. Either way, eff him if he stays in GB, eff him if he leaves...
I read about Jeopardy. I saw a ranking and he was 6th. My parents said Anderson Cooper was easily the best....and they hate CNN

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the Rams needed a qb and could get either Rodgers or Brady, who would you take? Even if they were the same age?
Rodgers and it's not really close. Brady has benefitted greatly from his roster, schedule, and Oline over the years. I'm not saying he's not been really good but he has led a charmed life in the NFL.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i was just thinking how qb changes in the nfc could be good for the rams. there are some ifs involved in my thinking but if arron rogers moves on from gb, if brady's age finally catches up to him, if the niners are braking in a rookie at qb it has to be good for the rams. than there is breezes retirement, the bears moving on from there qb. there are probably more that i'm not thinking of but there just seems to be a lot of ? about qbing in the nfc witch should be good for the rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
i was just thinking how qb changes in the nfc could be good for the rams. there are some ifs involved in my thinking but if arron rogers moves on from gb, if brady's age finally catches up to him, if the niners are braking in a rookie at qb it has to be good for the rams. than there is breezes retirement, the bears moving on from there qb. there are probably more that i'm not thinking of but there just seems to be a lot of ? about qbing in the nfc witch should be good for the rams.
Yeah the QB horizon is clearly brighter in the AFC.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Good point.

Also....
Hurts in Philly.
Alex Smith retires in Washington
Is Dak healthy?
Goff in Detroit
Bridgewater out of Carolina

If no Rodgers in GB....TOP 5 IN NFC (in no particular order)

Stafford
Wilson
Brady
Ryan
Cousins

oldnotdead

Legend
Here's the problem with Aaron's stand. He really can only hope they trade him because the other alternative is to simply retire. The Packers need to make a move because the season and camps are getting close.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
"There is a huge change, and it started with Russell Wilson," Wolf said Monday on The Wendy's Big Show with LeRoy Butler, Gary Ellerson and Steve "Sparky" Fifer. "Then went to (Deshaun) Watson, and now we got Rodgers. And it appears that today's quarterbacks want to be more than quarterbacks. In my time, they were hired to play the position (of) quarterback. That's what they're being paid for and that's what they're being paid to do. These guys, they want to pick the coach, pick the players -- it's an interesting dilemma."

I know that we have romanticized this position and all that it entails, but quarterbacks are still players and should not be making personnel decisions for the front office. Sure, they should be encouraged to provide input, but certainly shouldn't have final say. Despite the notion that the NFL is undergoing an NBA-like empowerment movement with the players having a more prominent voice in personnel matters and transactions, it's still my belief that the NFL is a team-centric enterprise with the name on the front of the jersey valued more than the names on the back.
Before you @ me suggesting that I'm just sipping the corporate Kool-Aid, I'll point to some recent Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks whose teams were clearly built outside of their purview. Take Tom Brady for example. You know, the seven-time champion who just hoisted his fourth Lombardi Trophy in the past seven seasons? Although the Buccaneers added a few TB12 friends -- most notably Rob Gronkowski and Antonio Brown -- they were the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. The bulk of the Buccaneers' core was already in place. Brady was the final piece, not the fundamental building block. And whether it was Mike Evans and Chris Godwin on the perimeter of an offense bolstered by a homegrown offensive line or a dynamic defense with a monstrous front and a swift linebacking corps, the Buccaneers hoisted the Lombardi Trophy as a team. This was NOT a one-man show -- far from it.
I know that opinion does not fit the narrative that exists in a media landscape with quarterbacks-turned-broadcasters dominating the booth, but the best teams win championships. The QB1 is a piece of the puzzle, albeit a big piece. I understand why quarterbacks are the highest-paid players on most teams, with contracts that eat up significant chunks of the salary cap, but the big-money deals have clouded how we view QB1s and how they view themselves in the team hierarchy.

Wolf's frustration stems from three high-profile quarterback dramas over the past five months. First, Watson became "extremely unhappy" with the Texans for failing to involve him in the team's GM hiring. (Though, obviously, Watson is facing far bigger concerns off the field at the moment.) Next, it was Wilson conducting a media tour to point out all of the errors of the Seahawks' ways. (Yes, just this week, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll claimed this is "old news" -- we'll see about that.) And over the past month, we've seen Rodgers stage a quiet protest in Green Bay while cronies carry out his message.

"All three of these guys have signed long-term contracts, and they're under contract," Wolf said this week. "So I'm sure, at that time, there wasn't anybody holding a gun to their head saying, 'You have to sign.' But now, they're not happy. They're not happy with the team they signed a contract with.
"We've got a lot of divas playing in the league right now."
Wolf's viewpoint on how a number of quarterbacks operate in 2021 matches my own: They want all of the cash and power, but none of the responsibility and accountability that comes with it. When the team fails to advance to the Super Bowl, the quarterback and his supporters point to the lack of help around him. Yet, the quarterbacks making the most money also restrict a team's ability to surround him with premier talent. That is part of the reason why we rarely see the most highly compensated quarterbacks winning the season's final game. It is extremely challenging to build up the other parts of the team while paying the quarterback top-of-the-food-chain money. To do so, the team must knock it out of the park in the draft, where a franchise can benefit from cheap labor with big-time production potential. While these teams can also fill holes with veterans playing on minimum contracts as yearly rentals, the bulk of the roster must consist of younger players playing on their original rookie contracts.

And while we're talkin' contracts ... How much of this drama revolves around the almighty dollar? While many analysts and observers offer myriad reasons for the discontentment from the disgruntled quarterbacks, I think the real issue behind their bruised feelings could be contractual. It's never a bad idea to follow the money, is it?
Remember back on that wild first day of the 2021 NFL Draft, when the Rodgers news kicked into overdrive? NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on that Thursday that the quarterback and the Packers had been negotiating a contract for weeks, and at times during the negotiations, Rodgers had been unhappy. Per Rapoport, Rodgers wanted a long-term extension with contractual security, but did not want a restructure.

Fresh off his third MVP campaign in a Hall of Fame career, Rodgers still has three years left on his existing contract -- as does Wilson. But the old heads have been surpassed on the annual salary front by the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott and Watson, who all now average at least $39 million per year. Oh, and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are poised to join the $40 Million QB Club in the very near future. I believe all of this is relevant information when it comes to the turmoil surrounding Rodgers and Wilson.
I also believe that Ron Wolf speaks the truth: Some franchise quarterbacks think they should run the franchise -- and that, as the Hall of Fame GM said, is quite a dilemma.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, Brady keeps collecting rings, while rodgers , who has lost in his last four attempts
at a NFC Championship game, continues whining about his contract that has three years remaining.

Aaron should go work for Jeopardy, I think he would be happier. The people in show business
are used to stroking the ego of self loving divas. He would be in heaven.

1621802008335.png

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Here's the problem with Aaron's stand. He really can only hope they trade him because the other alternative is to simply retire. The Packers need to make a move because the season and camps are getting close.
As a practical matter GB can't trade Rodgers until after June 1st even assuming they might want or be planning to do so. They would take a full dead cap hit in 2021 which could otherwise be spread out. So we will probably find out if it's happening early in June.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Fortunately it's a lose-lose situation for both the Packers and Rodgers.
The Packers can't get past the NFC Championship with Rodgers and they won't get there without him.
Rodgers can't win the NFC Championship Game and if he goes to the AFC, he won't make it to the CCG.

Has there ever been a "model franchise", more steeped in history that has won just 2 Superbowls in 54 years? WTF is the big deal? The Packers? Vince Lombardi made a name for the Packers back in the 60's and they've been living off of that for more than half a century. It's like saying the Red Sox are the model franchise in MLB because they've won the WS 4 times in the last 18 years.....but before that it was 86 freaking years with nothing.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Fortunately it's a lose-lose situation for both the Packers and Rodgers.
The Packers can't get past the NFC Championship with Rodgers and they won't get there without him.
Rodgers can't win the NFC Championship Game and if he goes to the AFC, he won't make it to the CCG.

Has there ever been a "model franchise", more steeped in history that has won just 2 Superbowls in 54 years? WTF is the big deal? The Packers? Vince Lombardi made a name for the Packers back in the 60's and they've been living off of that for more than half a century. It's like saying the Red Sox are the model franchise in MLB because they've won the WS 4 times in the last 18 years.....but before that it was 86 freaking years with nothing.
Four super bowls.

And teams win super bowls not the QB. Which NFC championship losses would you blame on Rodgers? Not last year as Lafleur went FG at the end. Not the 4per one as packers run D was swiss cheese. Not the loss to the seahawks where Rodgers led the team to a big lead only to see McCarthy take the ball out of his hand and hand off the entire fourth qtr.

Ellard80

Legend
He was on espn talking about it last night.. but he didn't really say anything but a bunch of vagueness.

Tano

Legend
Good point.

Also....
Hurts in Philly.
Alex Smith retires in Washington
Is Dak healthy?
Goff in Detroit
Bridgewater out of Carolina

If no Rodgers in GB....TOP 5 IN NFC (in no particular order)

Stafford
Wilson
Brady
Ryan
Cousins
I would put Goff ahead of Cousins but that's just my take.

Never been that impressed with Cousins

Ellard80

Legend
He did quash the rumor about this being over the Love pick. Never thought it was.

Well... lol he said he liked him and wasn't about him - but then at the end he said "this was all put in motion a couple years ago - then I won the MVP.... so that didn't match up so much.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Well... lol he said he liked him and wasn't about him - but then at the end he said "this was all put in motion a couple years ago - then I won the MVP.... so that didn't match up so much.
It matches up with the new gm. Also multiple players have talked about how he helps Love.