Talkin Dodger baseball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The Padres just got Blake Snell .... ouch

They are going to be even tougher next year.
For 5 or 6 innings until he can't go anymore and the bullpen blows it :) But yes they're improving their team every year lately.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're going after Yu Darvish as well.
I know he had a good year but with his salary his age and injury's he's had recently this doesn't worry me too much. I'm happy a division rival is doing so much to improve themselves but we've seen the Padres do this before and they trade the players before a year and a half has gone by. Hope for their fans it changes this time except when they play us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Apparently, y'all traded for a right-handed pitcher by the name of Cleavinger?

I don't know what the Cardinals are going to do. We could lose both Molina and Wainwright.

Personally, I'd rather lose Molina, sad as it is to say; his play has fallen off a cliff, and Ivan Herrera is the future, so I don't want to sign Molina for the long-term contract that he wants.

As for Wainwright, we do need proven starters because we lack them. But I think that we have some very, very good pitchers who deserve a shot (Gomber, Reyes, Woodford, etc.), so I really don't know if we re-sign him either.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know he had a good year but with his salary his age and injury's he's had recently this doesn't worry me too much. I'm happy a division rival is doing so much to improve themselves but we've seen the Padres do this before and they trade the players before a year and a half has gone by. Hope for their fans it changes this time except when they play us.
They are already a very good team.
Adding depth to their pitching staff makes them pretty dangerous.

I cant stand that punk Machado and I would love them to fall back into the cellar, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant stand that punk Machado and I would love them to fall back into the cellar, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
It's the Padres, no matter how good the team is recent history leads us to think it will happen more likely than not.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently, y'all traded for a right-handed pitcher by the name of Cleavinger?

I don't know what the Cardinals are going to do. We could lose both Molina and Wainwright.

Personally, I'd rather lose Molina, sad as it is to say; his play has fallen off a cliff, and Ivan Herrera is the future, so I don't want to sign Molina for the long-term contract that he wants.

As for Wainwright, we do need proven starters because we lack them. But I think that we have some very, very good pitchers who deserve a shot (Gomber, Reyes, Woodford, etc.), so I really don't know if we re-sign him either.
He's a 26 year old that's made it beyond AA once and that was a single game in the majors and a 5+ career minor league ERA. That said I trust Friedman.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

View: https://twitter.com/blakeharristbla/status/1375878207002476551

I'd wager the 5th and even 6th is a rotation of Price May and Gonsolin.

Cardinals bullpen is elite. Jordan Hicks - he of the 105 MPH sinker - is coming back...albeit as a set-up man with a limited pitch count. Alex Reyes is going to be the closer, and he can be dominant when he's on: three plus pitches, including a fastball that's been rated plus-plus. Then there's Giovanny Gallegos who is arguably the most underrated bullpen arm in the league and Andrew Miller as your other firemen. And that's not even counting Ryan Helsley (another young flamethrower), Genesis Cabrera (a left-handed flamethrower), Tyler Webb (an underrated left-handed arm), and Jake Woodford (former first round pick who has been impressing in camp).

And that's not even counting the depth we have in the Minors: Kodi Whitley (career bullpen arm with a nice arsenal of pitches); Junior Fernandez (another young flamethrower); Johan Quezada (a 6'9" righty pitcher traded to us from the Phillies); Seth Elledge (a deceptive righty who got innings with us); Tommy Parsons (undrafted pitcher who has been one of the best pitchers in Spring Training); Connor Jones and Griffin Roberts (two highly picked righties who need improvement, but have potential), and finally, a slew of young lefties (Andrew Warner, Evan Kruczynski, Garrett Williams, even Matthew Liberatore and Zack Thompson, if they come out of the bullpen as young arms).

The question is our starting pitching. I'll be honest: I see Flaherty and Wainwright as the only proven options (and Waino's the elder statesman at 39. Still, Gant did pitch very well in Spring Training.) Kim and Mikolas are out with injuries, Ponce de Leon has been up and down, and Carlos Martinez is a total enigma. Maybe we could see young arms like Johan Oviedo or Angel Rondon (or Thompson/Liberatore if things get really bad) eventually, but starting pitching is a real weakness, and could end up sinking our playoff hopes.

The offense is...intriguing. We have the ageless Yadier Molina behind the plate (although I see Knizner getting plays), Goldschmidt and Arenado should be solid bookends, I still like DeJong and Bader (who is currently injured), and I want to see what Edman can do in the leadoff role. Dylan Carlson is going to be the National League Rookie of the Year; I'm calling it now. Tyler O'Neill looks like he's figured it out at the plate. Justin Williams, if his Triple-A stats aren't an aberration, could be great as well, and we still have Harrison Bader coming back and making it a solid four-man outfield. We also have a guy named John Nogowski, who has been tearing the absolute fucking shit out of the baseball this Spring, taking walks, not striking out, basically doing everything well offensively. I think he could be a great pinch hitter from the right side and get an occasional start in left field or first. Edmundo Sosa has finally made the Opening Day roster, and it's much deserved for his defensive skills. And...I guess there's Matt Carpenter?

That's my rambling for Opening Day. If the Cards figure out their starting pitching, they could win it all. I really believe that.

Tano

Legend
Cardinals bullpen is elite. Jordan Hicks - he of the 105 MPH sinker - is coming back...albeit as a set-up man with a limited pitch count. Alex Reyes is going to be the closer, and he can be dominant when he's on: three plus pitches, including a fastball that's been rated plus-plus. Then there's Giovanny Gallegos who is arguably the most underrated bullpen arm in the league and Andrew Miller as your other firemen. And that's not even counting Ryan Helsley (another young flamethrower), Genesis Cabrera (a left-handed flamethrower), Tyler Webb (an underrated left-handed arm), and Jake Woodford (former first round pick who has been impressing in camp).

And that's not even counting the depth we have in the Minors: Kodi Whitley (career bullpen arm with a nice arsenal of pitches); Junior Fernandez (another young flamethrower); Johan Quezada (a 6'9" righty pitcher traded to us from the Phillies); Seth Elledge (a deceptive righty who got innings with us); Tommy Parsons (undrafted pitcher who has been one of the best pitchers in Spring Training); Connor Jones and Griffin Roberts (two highly picked righties who need improvement, but have potential), and finally, a slew of young lefties (Andrew Warner, Evan Kruczynski, Garrett Williams, even Matthew Liberatore and Zack Thompson, if they come out of the bullpen as young arms).

The question is our starting pitching. I'll be honest: I see Flaherty and Wainwright as the only proven options (and Waino's the elder statesman at 39. Still, Gant did pitch very well in Spring Training.) Kim and Mikolas are out with injuries, Ponce de Leon has been up and down, and Carlos Martinez is a total enigma. Maybe we could see young arms like Johan Oviedo or Angel Rondon (or Thompson/Liberatore if things get really bad) eventually, but starting pitching is a real weakness, and could end up sinking our playoff hopes.

The offense is...intriguing. We have the ageless Yadier Molina behind the plate (although I see Knizner getting plays), Goldschmidt and Arenado should be solid bookends, I still like DeJong and Bader (who is currently injured), and I want to see what Edman can do in the leadoff role. Dylan Carlson is going to be the National League Rookie of the Year; I'm calling it now. Tyler O'Neill looks like he's figured it out at the plate. Justin Williams, if his Triple-A stats aren't an aberration, could be great as well, and we still have Harrison Bader coming back and making it a solid four-man outfield. We also have a guy named John Nogowski, who has been tearing the absolute fucking shit out of the baseball this Spring, taking walks, not striking out, basically doing everything well offensively. I think he could be a great pinch hitter from the right side and get an occasional start in left field or first. Edmundo Sosa has finally made the Opening Day roster, and it's much deserved for his defensive skills. And...I guess there's Matt Carpenter?

That's my rambling for Opening Day. If the Cards figure out their starting pitching, they could win it all. I really believe that.
Guess it is between the Dodgers Padres and Cardinals this year.

As long as the Giants are in the basement - all is good if those 3 teams are in the playoffs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dustin May to start as the fifth starter with Price and Gonsolin coming out of the pen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Dustin May to start as the fifth starter with Price and Gonsolin coming out of the pen.

Jansen is not what he used to be. If you want to be the best team you cannot have a closer you aren't very confident in. I wonder if May has the mentality to be a closer? With that fastball, can you imagine if he developed a good changeup? Would be like Eric Gagne back in the day. I thought Urias did a good job closing games in the World Series. I wonder if they think about him being a closer? I remember John Smoltz being a very good starter but became more valuable when the Braves converted him to closer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jansen is not what he used to be. If you want to be the best team you cannot have a closer you aren't very confident in. I wonder if May has the mentality to be a closer? With that fastball, can you imagine if he developed a good changeup? Would be like Eric Gagne back in the day. I thought Urias did a good job closing games in the World Series. I wonder if they think about him being a closer? I remember John Smoltz being a very good starter but became more valuable when the Braves converted him to closer.
I wonder if Graterol will take over the job.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wonder if Graterol will take over the job.

Well, that is definitely am option. He's got the blazing fastball along with a personality. He gets fired up pretty good sometimes. You have to have a different mentality to be a good closer. The main thing is, you want your closer throwing strikes. You don't want him falling behind hitters or walking them to start the inning. It puts a lot of stress on them if they do that.

Tano

Legend
I know it's early but the Dodgers are no surprise so far. Definitely looking like the team to beat this year after only 6 games.

All 5 starting pitchers are doing extremely well even with the one dud from Kershaw in Colorado.

If my memory is correct, Kershaw doesn't like pitching in Colorado.

Bullpen is a little off right now but I see David Price and Jimmy Nelson bouncing back.

And the hitters are doing what I thought they would do especially with a bounce back year from Muncy so far.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How come the Dodgers players are doing a version of the ayatollah when they get a home run?