Steelers Interested in Ramsey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I love Ramsey, but, if Steelers are offering 2 first round picks (essentially, but 32 is 1st pick of 2nd round, which in itself is quite valuable) I'd have to listen. Per Kipers mock yesterday (yeah, its a guess mock) all of the top CB's outside of Witherspoon are there (Porter Jr, Gonzalez, Forbes, etc.). If our brass thinks one of them is going to be something special, it makes some sense to fill that hole with a MUCH cheaper and younger player. With 32 we could likely get a decent trade back offer or have our pick of an Edge that fell.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why would you trade your best DB? The whole point is to acquire talent not trade it away. Only the Chargers do that kind of stupidity.
I think the argument could be made for both keeping and moving him. For players like AD and Kupp I don’t believe there is an argument for moving.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Why? Do you honestly think you can replace him in the draft? It's not just the physical talent Ramsey possesses it's his experience that allows him to use those physical talents to be the impactful player he is. Only the Chargers, and Cleveland trade away talent. High draft picks are a myth. More first round draft picks don't justify their pick than those that do. The odds are against it. Even those that do, take years to become that level of player. That is why Snead does what he does. Drafting for depth is a whole lot easier than drafting for an impact starter. When you trade you know what you are getting if the GM does his homework before hand.
Replace him? No.

However, if such a trade would yield two premium draft picks and clear significant cap space, the net gain could be positive.

The point is…while the price would be steep, he is not priceless.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
But it doesn't clear any cap space this year. So no. Not even considerable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why? Do you honestly think you can replace him in the draft? It's not just the physical talent Ramsey possesses it's his experience that allows him to use those physical talents to be the impactful player he is. Only the Chargers, and Cleveland trade away talent. High draft picks are a myth. More first round draft picks don't justify their pick than those that do. The odds are against it. Even those that do, take years to become that level of player. That is why Snead does what he does. Drafting for depth is a whole lot easier than drafting for an impact starter. When you trade you know what you are getting if the GM does his homework before hand.
His game has degraded. His speed is not what it was. Your argument is based on him being the Ramsey we know and love but that dude is gone. What is left in his place is a limited corner who is great in the box but he is being paid as an eraser.

There is right now a window to move him and actually get something for him before the bottom fully drops out on his game. This time next year the conversation will be very different.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'd be for a trade just because I don't think he's used in the best way. I don't like the move him all around approach. Just put him on the other teams best WR and let Ramsey shut him down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why would you trade your best DB?

Our cap situation requires we do something. We have no choice.

I hope it’s not Ramsey, but this team needs to figure out what is best.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
On this topic, are there any CB's in the draft that you guys think are likely to be #1 top corners? Thus might be able to step into help fill hole Ramsey might leave? Gonzalez I know is a bigger, athletic option in the vein of Ramsey, but he is not often listed as the top CB. I've seen Witherspoon and Porter Jr above him in most.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
On this topic, are there any CB's in the draft that you guys think are likely to be #1 top corners? Thus might be able to step into help fill hole Ramsey might leave? Gonzalez I know is a bigger, athletic option in the vein of Ramsey, but he is not often listed as the top CB. I've seen Witherspoon and Porter Jr above him in most.
It looks like 2/3 go top 15. Don't know who will be a sure fire #1

oldnotdead

Legend
His game has degraded. His speed is not what it was. Your argument is based on him being the Ramsey we know and love but that dude is gone. What is left in his place is a limited corner who is great in the box but he is being paid as an eraser.

There is right now a window to move him and actually get something for him before the bottom fully drops out on his game. This time next year the conversation will be very different.

It's debatable as to how much his speed has degraded. Going from 4.3 to 4.44? How can you tell when Morris takes one of the best man coverage CBs and plays him 90% of the time in zone coverage? Playing CB is as much about play recognition as it is about speed. I will still take Ramsey over most CBs in the NFL any day of the week.

Look at the structure of his contract. In a trade, the Rams might have to eat as much as $11.4M of it. Not every trade allows you to unload all of the guaranteed money. Many times the signing and restructuring money stays with the team. If his game degrades in a clear way then they can unload him next year with that same $11.4M dead cap.

In Staley's scheme, it was a hybrid zone / man coverage scheme. Ramsey excelled in that scheme because of the man coverage component. This is what I've been saying is that Morris doesn't play to the strengths of his roster. Rochell is another who is best in that Staley style scheme. Durant is another who would do well in it. In Morris' scheme the players stand like statues until the reception is made, that is why contested receptions in Morris' scheme are the exception not the rule.

Pray that the Colts hire Morris.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I love draft picks too but if your window is now and with Mcvay and AD looming retirement talk every off season what you don't want is remodel rebuild purgatory where you get stuck being shitty longer than necessary and we certainly know we don't have the fan base to go through that now at least not yet.

Now trading Ramsey getting picks is to much of an unknown. You might as well start unloading others too.

1. You need to hit on the picks or theirs that purgatory should you bust on 1 or both.

2. Even if you hit more than likely they need a little time to develop and adjust so what of players like AD Kupp Wagz etc. They going to wait around? Also again add in Mcvay retirement talk annually.

3. I understand supplementing our current talent but again see numbers 1 and 2. To me it's either or. Can't dip a toe in the water.

Now if you can trade a Ramsey for say montez sweat and a pick or straight up that's different because it's a young established player and more the rams style a proven commodity. But straight picks I love them but for the current roster it could spell death!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Replace him? No.

However, if such a trade would yield two premium draft picks and clear significant cap space, the net gain could be positive.

The point is…while the price would be steep, he is not priceless.

Our cap situation requires we do something. We have no choice.

I hope it’s not Ramsey, but this team needs to figure out what is best.
It doesn’t clear any cap space so why make a trade involving Ramsey?

McVay seems to be year to year, supposedly. If that’s true he’s not rebuilding and isn’t trading one of his best players.

Also, remember this team was so desperate for Corners that they traded to get Troy Hill back. If they trade Ramsey then they will be throwing in the towel. Shanahan would be licking his chops.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Dear God. The amount of crack smoking that occurs when the Rams don’t make the playoffs is atrocious. You want old Ramsey? Put him as a lockdown corner and not this bullshit star position.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It doesn’t clear any cap space so why make a trade involving Ramsey?

McVay seems to be year to year, supposedly. If that’s true he’s not rebuilding and isn’t trading one of his best players.

Also, remember this team was so desperate for Corners that they traded to get Troy Hill back. If they trade Ramsey then they will be throwing in the towel. Shanahan would be licking his chops.
OTC says a post June 1st trade clears $17 million from the 2023 cap. Pre June 1st clears $5.6 million.

26.01.2023_16.32.07_REC.png

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trade is one option, the other is an extension with the idea that he will eventually move to FS. That could open up cap space the next 2 yrs with it's structure and then 3 or 4 yrs from now his hit isn't as bad with a larger overall cap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
OTC says a post June 1st trade clears $17 million from the 2023 cap.

View attachment 58556
That’s post June. That doesn’t get the Rams any draft picks this year. I don’t think they’ve fallen out of Super Bowl contention, so trading Ramsey and not getting picks this year to help fill the void left at CB or another need. It just creates a huge weakness for the 2023 season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
OTC says a post June 1st trade clears $17 million from the 2023 cap. Pre June 1st clears $5.6 million.

View attachment 58556
Let’s not allow facts to get in the way of indignant dismissals of opposing opinions, shall we?

P.S. Contracts can also be restructured during trade negotiations, so the “no cap space is cleared” argument is potentially wrong for that reason too.