Stay Safe California Rams Bros

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
We took the train from Albany, Oregon to Paso Robles, CA. It was a beautiful trip but 23 - yes 23 hours late. It’s only a 13 hour drive. We took the train from Portland to Seattle - a 4 hour drive - it was 8 1/2 hours late.

The section from central CA South seems to run pretty well. North of that? Not so much.

The thing is that Amtrak is subservient to freight trains on the west coast. If a freighter is coming, the passenger train has to find the first split track (which there are not many) and wait until the freight train passes. And heaven forbid - as was our situation on the Seattle trip - the wait takes them past their hours, they will bus a new crew in and the train has to wait until the replacements take over.

I love the train. You see areas you don’t see in a car, you get to kick back or walk around, play with the wife:sneaky:, visit the bar car, etc... Unfortunately, it is very poorly run out here and you need to prepare for very long delays.
Yeah the trip to Denver was longer than driving by quite a bit.
But, wasn't in a hurry and brought stuff to do.
It's enjoyable travel but can't be fighting a deadline, that's for sure.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Ummm I don’t understand? People go have a campfire and just light up the forest?

The fire in NorCal was possibly started by downed power lines due to high winds. I would guess the SoCal fire was started the same way.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
My wife's step dad had to evacuate Paradise, CA along with 27,000 others and my sister's family is being told to evacuate her place in Malibu. Unfortunately, many of the roads are blocked including sections of PCH so evacuating is not an option.

Please - everyone put their positive thoughts to all the people affected by these extremely fast moving and dangerous fires.

My best to all affected and hoping for the best for any of our members affected by these horrific events.

Paradise.jpg

Really cool town. Basically up in the foothills outside of Chico, near the Butte mountains, where Aaron Rogers got his start.

Latest word is that 95% of these 6,000+ homes and businesses are burning to the ground. They just dealt with a devastating fire a few years ago. I have done a lot of business up there over the years. Many elderly people. There are basically 2- 2 lane roads you can drive to get there. The rush to escape must have been hellish, for most.

For some, this haunting sign may have become literal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
The northern CA and Oregon coast are truly spectacular. Not much to see along the WA coast unless you know where to turn. Lots of bogs and wetlands.
Hell that sounds like a plan! Love to randomly F off and enjoy nature and a long ass road! Always wanted to see those big sequía trees.
That trip by train is good too. The drive is cool if you're not in a rush.
Dude, I’ve never traveled by train. I can’t get the concept really, that’s more like a European thing?

The fire in NorCal was possibly started by downed power lines due to high winds. I would guess the SoCal fire was started the same way.

Yeah that seems to make sense, amazing how they are huge fires seemingly every year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hell that sounds like a plan! Love to randomly F off and enjoy nature and a long ass road! Always wanted to see those big sequía trees.

Dude, I’ve never traveled by train. I can’t get the concept really, that’s more like a European thing?

Yeah that seems to make sense, amazing how they are huge fires seemingly every year.
Give it a shot.
Don't know if you like it unless you try.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Sequoias are actually inland in Yosemite near Fresno. The redwoods are still sequoias but a different variety. And if you have never seen them, they are freaking incredible. I spent a couple summers right on The Avenue of the Giants. John Muir Woods is a must stop.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
The Sequoias are actually inland in Yosemite near Fresno. The redwoods are still sequoias but a different variety. And if you have never seen them, they are freaking incredible. I spent a couple summers right on The Avenue of the Giants. John Muir Woods is a must stop.
Holy shit! You struck a chord within me there man! I wasn’t aware redwoods were different but I would like to go see them all! Always wanted to go visit a forest that looks like it’s on another world.

Are there pretty good camp sites out there?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 26989

Really cool town. Basically up in the foothills outside of Chico, near the Butte mountains, where Aaron Rogers got his start.

Latest word is that 95% of these 6,000+ homes and businesses are burning to the ground. They just dealt with a devastating fire a few years ago. I have done a lot of business up there over the years. Many elderly people. There are basically 2- 2 lane roads you can drive to get there. The rush to escape must have been hellish, for most.

I went to school at Chico. Been to Paradise many times. Sadly, it’s essentially one gradual slope with tons of heavy fuel.

And we found out that my wife’s step father’s house in Magalia burned to the ground. Much of my wife’s mother’s history and belongings up in smoke.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Holy crap! You struck a chord within me there man! I wasn’t aware redwoods were different but I would like to go see them all! Always wanted to go visit a forest that looks like it’s on another world.

Are there pretty good camp sites out there?
I never actually camped around there but I’m sure there are lots of spots. I would bet they are pretty popular in the summer so you may want to see if you can reserve one.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I went to school at Chico. Been to Paradise many times. Sadly, it’s essentially one gradual slope with tons of heavy fuel.

And we found out that my wife’s step father’s house in Magalia burned to the ground. Much of my wife’s mother’s history and belongings up in smoke.
I was wondering if it went out toward Magalia. Another 10-15 miles east? Sorry for her loss Stu.

You and I both know. These fires are not natural. Infuriating.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So sorry to hear about that @RamFan503 .

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected or in harms way.

DeaconJ

Rookie
Here's a shot of the 'Camp Fire' to the north of Paradise. 44 confirmed fatalities, 228 missing, 7177 homes and businesses destroyed. We're making a shopping run tomorrow to pick up some food to donate for the our Community Thanksgiving dinner. We have a number of people displaced by this fire here in our little town and we want to give them something to be thankful for even though most have lost everything.

upload_2018-11-13_16-15-1.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend
View attachment 26989

I have family up there that lost their home, totally destroyed. They're going to be moving to a new area most likely.

Saw a YouTube video from a guy who tried to warn some people about the fire and get them to evacuate. The fire came through so the guy ran down to a creek and hid under the water. The rest of the people burned alive, many of them still in their car. He said he was trying to get them out but they were old and waited to do things like makeup.

Fires are no joke people, don't wait around with your stuff, just get out.