Stan Kroenke appreciation thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Here's hoping St Louis gets an XFL team. I've got nothing against St Louis, but I gotta think that the NFL would be reluctant to go back there. St Louis population has been dropping for a while now, at 294k now as compared to over 340k 30 years ago. St Louis is the 69th most populous city in the USA.
Those numbers are not accurate. If you count St. Louis county, Metro East (southwest Illinois for the non locals), and I'll throw in St. Charles County, that is a heavy following.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Me either. I always thought it was odd that Missouri.... MISSOURI!!?? had two NFL franchises. Just seems crazy to me. I did like the riverfront stadium idea though. That looked great.

I really hope Spanos gets his miserable ass kicked somehow in all of this. That fucker is the turd in the punch bowl.....
Here's a history lesson. Missouri has two baseball teams. (Royals and Cardinals) , used to have two basketball teams (Kings and Hawks). They are about to have two MLS teams.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Here's hoping St Louis gets an XFL team. I've got nothing against St Louis, but I gotta think that the NFL would be reluctant to go back there. St Louis population has been dropping for a while now, at 294k now as compared to over 340k 30 years ago. St Louis is the 69th most populous city in the USA.
St Louis still has a large metropolitan area and can draw fans from a wide area in the midwest, at least for baseball. But it is not a super economic growth area.

The question in my mind, as someone who grew up in St. Louis, is whether enough people will truly support another pro football team after the Cardinals and Rams left. The Rams appear to me to have had a dedicated following of fans, but nothing like the baseball Cardinals or even the Blues in terms of widespread popularity.

The other question is whether the public sports authorities such as RSA will support some measure of public funding for a new stadium-- something they refused to do for a couple of decades for the Rams, despite a stadium lease contract calling for upgrades. (To be clear I'm not calling for public funding of stadiums. The RSA chose not to upgrade the EJ Dome, which was their decision, but the contractual consequence result was the Rams were released from their stadium contract.). Otherwise imo they would need another owner with deep pockets like Kroenke. Or the NFL to pick up a large part of the tab.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Those numbers are not accurate. If you count St. Louis county, Metro East (southwest Illinois for the non locals), and I'll throw in St. Charles County, that is a heavy following.

23rd biggest TV market.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
23rd biggest TV market.

The baseball Cardinals have been one the highest revenue MLB teams for years. But they have 100+ years of history and a really massive regional following throughout the Midwest going back to the early days of radio.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
The baseball Cardinals have been one the highest revenue MLB teams for years. But they have 100+ years of history and a really massive regional following throughout the Midwest going back to the early days of radio.
Exactly because they were the furthest team to the West for a long time.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Not comparable. No team will ever draw like the Cardinals. Their fan base extends throughout MO and into IA, OK, ARK, and IL. The Cardinals are in a league of their own.

Sam Bradford was from Norman and he grew up a Cards fan. Even he mentioned how big the Cards were a time or two. Definitely a baseball town. But not a massive market baseball town like LA. That is what drew Stan away from STL like stink on doo-doo.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's funny how you look back at an old post and go "Whatever happened to that lad?" and then click on their profile and you remember they got banned.

I don't think I'll ever "root" for any billionaire, while I'm not convinced that the case is as open and shut as others do just because I remember all the fuckery going on/shady dealings during the leadup to the move (that thread was pretty wild) and I'll always maintain that the Rams leaving St Louis while dirty, was still cleaner than when they left LA, I do think that St Louis is a good football town. I enjoyed it whenever I visited St Louis, and while I'll never go back there to ensure I never run into a particular Succubus or her kin, I'll remember the city fondly.

I don't know if the NFL would actually award an NFL team to the city though, because it would probably require them to add a number of others to balance things out, but if the fans can get some sort of compensation, I wouldn't be upset. Although being a realist, chances are the fans wouldn't see shit and it would just be money for the city that'll end up being blown on something stupid/going up some politicians nose.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Here's a history lesson. Missouri has two baseball teams. (Royals and Cardinals) , used to have two basketball teams (Kings and Hawks). They are about to have two MLS teams.
Crazy to me, but that area does have great fans who support their teams... As long as they aren't a dumpster fire.... And sometimes even then.

The Lou was as loud as any stadium ever when the Rams were the GSOT. MAN that place would rock. I never even went to a game there, but you could hear it on the telecast.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I share the same exact thoughts. I'm from St Louis and the Rams are my squad. The Cardinals left when I didn't watch football (I was 5,).
the circle I run in are all still devoted fans of the team. They would still be my number 1 team even if we did get a new team. The appetite for football is insatiable in stl.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny how you look back at an old post and go "Whatever happened to that lad?" and then click on their profile and you remember they got banned.

I don't think I'll ever "root" for any billionaire, while I'm not convinced that the case is as open and shut as others do just because I remember all the fuckery going on/shady dealings during the leadup to the move (that thread was pretty wild) and I'll always maintain that the Rams leaving St Louis while dirty, was still cleaner than when they left LA, I do think that St Louis is a good football town. I enjoyed it whenever I visited St Louis, and while I'll never go back there to ensure I never run into a particular Succubus or her kin, I'll remember the city fondly.

I don't know if the NFL would actually award an NFL team to the city though, because it would probably require them to add a number of others to balance things out, but if the fans can get some sort of compensation, I wouldn't be upset. Although being a realist, chances are the fans wouldn't see shit and it would just be money for the city that'll end up being blown on something stupid/going up some politicians nose.
Love your post agree with the money being wasted by the politicians that’s why a stadium has to be part of the deal lol. I just think best case scenario is they gave us the Chargers Spanos gets a new stadium he didn’t have to pay for and the conference alignments stays the same and actually work better with the chargers in stl

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
St Louis still has a large metropolitan area and can draw fans from a wide area in the midwest, at least for baseball. But it is not a super economic growth area.

The question in my mind, as someone who grew up in St. Louis, is whether enough people will truly support another pro football team after the Cardinals and Rams left. The Rams appear to me to have had a dedicated following of fans, but nothing like the baseball Cardinals or even the Blues in terms of widespread popularity.

The other question is whether the public sports authorities such as RSA will support some measure of public funding for a new stadium-- something they refused to do for a couple of decades for the Rams, despite a stadium lease contract calling for upgrades. (To be clear I'm not calling for public funding of stadiums. The RSA chose not to upgrade the EJ Dome, which was their decision, but the contractual consequence result was the Rams were released from their stadium contract.). Otherwise imo they would need another owner with deep pockets like Kroenke. Or the NFL to pick up a large part of the tab.
They already secured funding for the riverfront stadium based off bonds still used for the Edward Jones dome so the public funding isn’t an issue that’s already been resolved and might not even be needed when it’s all said and done.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry but STL is a baseball town.

:hiding:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Cowboys couldn't lose in the early 90s, multiple SB wins.
America's team and all that.

So Jerry Jones sued the league in 1995? Good thing that didn't come back to bite him.