Stafford Trade Finalized

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's your prerogative. If you or others want to root for them, go ahead, I'm not gonna say you shouldn't. I'm only saying, for me, based on the narratives i've seen of the Rams vs. the Lions, the latter is much more praised, and my favorite's never got nothin more than an "ok".

So again...i hope they fall flat. I'm not gonna root for simply because they made a trade. Fuck them. I hope the trade blows up in their faces.
I get the anger at how the Rams are perceived. That goes back to the GSOT days even.

The Lions love, at least for me, is more about wanting to see Goff succeed, and also being used to rooting for an underdog. Plus, if the Rams aren’t in the playoffs and the Lions are, then I at least have a team to root for.

I was very critical of Goff in his last few years in horns, and elated with the trade. Overjoyed in fact to be rid of him and get Stafford in fact. But I never hated the guy. So, I still hope he plays well, unless it’s against the Rams of course.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
When you don’t have an elite QB it’s tough to win the SB. Fact. No matter how many other good players are on the team. Just look at the list of who’s won it over the last 10 to 15 years! As long as Stafford can sling it I hope he’s a Ram. Now figure out how to reduce his Cap through a merchandising deal like Brady in New England...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ok i take back what i said about you rooting for them, but you gotta be on board that they are rooted more for than against.

And perspective matters beyond just fanbases. Whether if effects our individual experience or not, but it does. Think about it. The Chiefs are beloved. The Eagles are beloved. The shitters are beloved. The Bucs during their recent runs were beloved. The Rams? It was always "mortgage the future" or "bought a championship" or some other crap like that.

That's something i personally can't get over. And i sure as hell don't want another team to benefit off it. Fuck the Lions.
An interesting back and forth here between @thirteen28 and @Angry Ram. I can really relate to the perspectives of both of you guys.

From @thirteen28, I can definitely relate to taking pride and pleasure in the Rams' SB victories. Who gives a crap what other people think?

And @AngryRam, I hear you too. Frankly, that's always been a part of the appeal to me of being a Rams fan. The Rams just have never been "beloved" like some other teams. We're a smaller and more stubborn group of fans.

70's Rams-- probably the height of Rams' fandom and acceptance. Rams WERE LA. A glamour/glitz vibe combined with the gritty toughness of Jack Youngblood.

80's rams-- Eric Dickerson and consistent "good" teams. But the move to Anaheim gave them a more "corporate" feel, and Georgia was steering the team into the dump.

Early 90's Anaheim rams-- a disaster that led to the move.

late 90's St. Louis Rams-- a terrible team that was starting over in a new city.

GSOT-- Admired and celebrated, yes, but not "beloved" like some other teams. Love for Warner and Vermeil, but not the franchise itself.

2003-2016-- The Dark Ages.

2016-- move back to LA from StL.

2017-2023-- The revival led by "boy Genius" McVay. Fans are envious of Rams' success, but the team is still not "beloved" like some of the other teams @angryram has mentioned.

Anyway... the Rams have had a strange history, with extreme highs and lows, and a "wandering" aspect (LA, Anaheim, St. Louis, back to LA again) which has interfered significantly with the ability of many to stay "attached" to them.

And as for the "love" for the Lions? Yeah, I think it's real, and I think it's stronger nationwide for the Lions than for the Rams. But it's based on PITY. The Lions have been terrible for SO LONG and haven't won a damn thing... their fans have stuck with them for DECADES with nothing to show for it (aside from some Barry highlight reels). Plus, the city of Detroit has been to hell and back... Detroit has been a punch line of an "awful place to live" for so long. So yeah, I think ppl root for the Lions because their fans have been through so much.

The Rams may never be "beloved" like some other teams are, nationwide. But we've got two Lombardis in our trophy case, and our die-hard fans damn well appreciate them.

muggmeister

Rookie
Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

Thankfully it’s done! Hopefully Snead doesn’t get a wild hair up his ass and try something stupid like trade 2 1sts for a guy like Burns from the Panthers again. Thank God the Panthers are fucking retarded.
I never want to see multiple 1sts traded for 1 player who we have to give massive amounts of money to. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again, unless Patrick Mahomes becomes available. :woozy2:

oldnotdead

Legend
If he physically holds up I think Stafford has two more years. The Rams gave themselves a contract "out" after 2024. I don't think the Rams viewed Stafford beyond 2024 when they extended him. The rest of the contract was to spread the cap hit.

This is why I would be shocked if the Rams didn't take their next franchise QB in next year's draft. Goff's career has proved they weren't wrong in drafting him. He simply wasn't a fit for McVay. McVay likes Stetson but he was LaFluer and Robinson's choice not Sean's. Stetson doesn't have the arm for McVay's offense. I think the Rams have already targeted one perhaps two QBs next year. This will give the Rams basically 6 years of control over their next QB (4 contract years, 1 fifth year option, 1 franchise tag option) so it will allow them to give him a redshirt year behind Stafford to develop and acclimate to the NFL.

This is why they are doing what they have this year. This is the first year to lay the foundations of a dynasty type of franchise. We are talking about a 7 year run at minimum. If this rookie QB blossoms into a franchise talent then you are looking at a minimum of two full contracts.

I personally am watching this all unfold and know it's just the beginning.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I never want to see multiple 1sts traded for 1 player who we have to give massive amounts of money to. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again, unless Patrick Mahomes becomes available. :woozy2:
I'm the opposite, I'd love it if the Rams did that again. Worked for Ramsey. Worked with Stafford. Won a Super Bowl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stafford may have another title in him. Won't be this year but if the line can protect him maybe they make a deep playoff run in '24. Depends on health and whether he has that hunger to make himself a sure thing for the HoF.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Stafford may have another title in him. Won't be this year but if the line can protect him maybe they make a deep playoff run in '24. Depends on health and whether he has that hunger to make himself a sure thing for the HoF.
Well, let's hope because presently in QB rankings Jared Goff is now listed ahead of Matthew Stafford. Not that I care because I am happy Jared has turned it around, but Stafford did have an amazing playoff run and I can only hope he has a few more years in him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to many, Stafford has declined. It’s funny how he goes from having a great playoff run to being a dud in one year.

That’s why I don’t pay attention to Sports media

Tano

Legend
According to many, Stafford has declined. It’s funny how he goes from having a great playoff run to being a dud in one year.

I don't think a lot of people think he is a dud, I think a lot of people see him as an injury away from not being able to throw the football with any velocity.

His spinal contusion last year scares me.

Gawd - I hope I am completely wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, let's hope because presently in QB rankings Jared Goff is now listed ahead of Matthew Stafford. Not that I care because I am happy Jared has turned it around, but Stafford did have an amazing playoff run and I can only hope he has a few more years in him.
Goff might not be the starting QB in Detroit a couple years from now. And he hasn't won anything up there yet. So saying he's turned it around is premature I think. Truth is they may have just drafted his replacement. Way the Lions are building that team he's going to need to continue to prove himself.

Also I think a lot of their hopes are going to come down to whether Glenn's the guy for the DC role or not. He seems like a great dude and all, judging from his Hard Knocks persona, but is he going to be able to raise the bar with that defense. They went out and got him some FA additions who are ready to play for that terrible secondary, but how does the whole look once it's all put together.

If I had to guess I'd say they make the playoffs this year. Looks like their path is there. But then what. I would guess at some point in the playoffs their defense lets them down. And Goff needs to impress that staff in that playoff run because this time next year you'll have Hooker with a full year under his belt ready to go for camp year two. Brad's done a great job of hedging his bet on Jared IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah I'm definitely going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He has shown the ability to clean things up in the clutch and elevate the team around him in this offense. This season he is going to need to do that and be very consistent in it as well, and if he does that then we have a chance to win more games than anyone expects us to win.

Still think wildcard is our ceiling, our best case scenario. But either way seeing a strong season from 9 would be great so I hope that's what we have ahead.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I didn't say anything about rooting for the Lions. I simply said I don't give a flying fuck whether or not other fans talk about our Super Bowl win or what they say about other team - it doesn't detract one single bit from my enjoyment of it, not even in the slightest. And I think it's a waste of time to worry about it.

If your enjoyment of the Rams most recent Super Bowl win is contingent on other teams fanbases talking about it or talking about another team's prospects, you're doing it wrong.

It's not just other fanbases. It's the narratives and those linger. For example, look at the shitters and the Rams. How many peeps of "mortaging their futures" have there been since they traded for Trey Lance and CMC? Rams did and actually won the fuckin bowl and that narrative was driven like no other. It was all over radio and tv, and people do listen to those. Especially in the playoffs/Super Bowl.

We can pound our chest and not care what they say, but millions of casuals do and their perceptions do as well.

The Lions are the babyfaces in all this. I get it tho...its the cool thing to do in the modern NFL.

I get the anger at how the Rams are perceived. That goes back to the GSOT days even.

The Lions love, at least for me, is more about wanting to see Goff succeed, and also being used to rooting for an underdog. Plus, if the Rams aren’t in the playoffs and the Lions are, then I at least have a team to root for.

I was very critical of Goff in his last few years in horns, and elated with the trade. Overjoyed in fact to be rid of him and get Stafford in fact. But I never hated the guy. So, I still hope he plays well, unless it’s against the Rams of course.

I'm over JG. I said my piece with him and his play the last 2 years here and i stick by it. It's also Brad Holmes love. It's fine to root for him/them, but grilling Les after 5 winning seasons and the love for him just barely getting over .500? Really?

I also have teams that i root for (Steelers and local Texans...and the former has diminished quite a bit, im much more into Houston these days). But i remember taking shit for that. "I don't understand how people can root for more than 1 team" blah blah. Maybe that's why it doesn't sit right with me. In playoffs, I really dont care as long as its not Tom Brady or the shitters. Thank god one of them will never have to happen again. Hopefully both.

And as for the "love" for the Lions? Yeah, I think it's real, and I think it's stronger nationwide for the Lions than for the Rams. But it's based on PITY. The Lions have been terrible for SO LONG and haven't won a damn thing... their fans have stuck with them for DECADES with nothing to show for it (aside from some Barry highlight reels). Plus, the city of Detroit has been to hell and back... Detroit has been a punch line of an "awful place to live" for so long. So yeah, I think ppl root for the Lions because their fans have been through so much.

The Rams may never be "beloved" like some other teams are, nationwide. But we've got two Lombardis in our trophy case, and our die-hard fans damn well appreciate them.

No cared about the Rams from 2005 - 2016. And even in 2017 the narrative was "oh they just had an easy schedule", which started week 1 after smashing the Colts.

No one gave any sympathy or pity points at all during that time.

And Detroit did have some good seasons recently. 2011, 2014 and the 2016 and 2017 had 9-7 years. Plus they got to watch Megatron for many years.

Tano

Legend
Goff might not be the starting QB in Detroit a couple years from now. And he hasn't won anything up there yet. So saying he's turned it around is premature I think. Truth is they may have just drafted his replacement. Way the Lions are building that team he's going to need to continue to prove himself.

Also I think a lot of their hopes are going to come down to whether Glenn's the guy for the DC role or not. He seems like a great dude and all, judging from his Hard Knocks persona, but is he going to be able to raise the bar with that defense. They went out and got him some FA additions who are ready to play for that terrible secondary, but how does the whole look once it's all put together.

If I had to guess I'd say they make the playoffs this year. Looks like their path is there. But then what. I would guess at some point in the playoffs their defense lets them down. And Goff needs to impress that staff in that playoff run because this time next year you'll have Hooker with a full year under his belt ready to go for camp year two. Brad's done a great job of hedging his bet on Jared IMO.
As you know, I am a Goff fan. However, if Hooker plays well, it may be best for Detroit to get rid of Goff since if he does play well, his salary demands will go way up. Having Hooker at a rookie salary will allow Detroit to continue to improve their team thru free agents.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As you know, I am a Goff fan. However, if Hooker plays well, it may be best for Detroit to get rid of Goff since if he does play well, his salary demands will go way up. Having Hooker at a rookie salary will allow Detroit to continue to improve their team thru free agents.
Agreed and that applies to most vet QBs too. League is going to trend young because it makes zero sense to pay these guys that much of your cap.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until I see Goff making the 3rd and 4th down throws Staff made in the Super Bowl run, as well as the throw to Kupp in Tampa to save that win....Staff stays ahead of Goff...I don't care how gaudy Goffs numbers become....it has to be there when the toughest throws need to be made. When/if Goff can show those throws in a deep playoff run...I will reasses

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Prior to '22 season I figured Goff was a goner. By mid-season, that tone softened a bit. By end of season he sure seemed to have cemented his spot. Now that they've drafted Hooker and his 2024 salary isnt guaranteed? Sure changes things.
Of course for Hooker to play, at least for a significant amount of time to evaluate him, Goff would have to get hurt or worse. Funny how quick expectations can grow, one year the team looks lucky to win a game all season and just a couple years later it could be playoffs or bust

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's not just other fanbases. It's the narratives and those linger. For example, look at the shitters and the Rams. How many peeps of "mortaging their futures" have there been since they traded for Trey Lance and CMC? Rams did and actually won the fuckin bowl and that narrative was driven like no other. It was all over radio and tv, and people do listen to those. Especially in the playoffs/Super Bowl.

We can pound our chest and not care what they say, but millions of casuals do and their perceptions do as well.

The Lions are the babyfaces in all this. I get it tho...its the cool thing to do in the modern NFL.

I'm over JG. I said my piece with him and his play the last 2 years here and i stick by it. It's also Brad Holmes love. It's fine to root for him/them, but grilling Les after 5 winning seasons and the love for him just barely getting over .500? Really?

I also have teams that i root for (Steelers and local Texans...and the former has diminished quite a bit, im much more into Houston these days). But i remember taking shit for that. "I don't understand how people can root for more than 1 team" blah blah. Maybe that's why it doesn't sit right with me. In playoffs, I really dont care as long as its not Tom Brady or the shitters. Thank god one of them will never have to happen again. Hopefully both.

No cared about the Rams from 2005 - 2016. And even in 2017 the narrative was "oh they just had an easy schedule", which started week 1 after smashing the Colts.

No one gave any sympathy or pity points at all during that time.

And Detroit did have some good seasons recently. 2011, 2014 and the 2016 and 2017 had 9-7 years. Plus they got to watch Megatron for many years.
I don’t have a go to second favorite team. I pick underdog teams that have been bad for several years, because I know how that feels to have a lousy team. Unless of course it’s certain fanbases, like the Steelers, Eagles, or Bears. But that is because I know too many of their obnoxious fans.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Suit yourself. I think it's just a huge waste of energy to worry about other fanbases and temporary narratives and let that detract from my enjoyment of what they accomplished in 2021.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head over to YouTube and watch some playoff highlights of our incredible 2021 playoff run ... and fucking wallow in it. :sunglasses: