Stafford Trade Finalized

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wondering if the OP was overstating the Lions haul?

I went on a Lions message board to see what they think of the trade. No clear answers yet, but I saw several different variations of the "final" trade results, such as:

Lions give up:

• Stafford
  • 2022 #34
  • 2022 #66
  • 2023 #81
Lions get:

• Goff
  • Melifonwu
  • Jamo
  • Paschal
  • Gibbs
  • LaPorta
  • 2023 #168
My point being, sounds like the Lions didn't get that ENTIRE haul just for Stafford. By trading with other teams, the Lions also GAVE UP some additional premium picks to as well. Lions had to give up a 2nd and two 3rds.

(And yeah, any trade that results in a SB victory sounds good to me.)
Well, they traded around the board, but, they traded around the board with our draft capital.

In the end, the Lions certainly got what they wanted and so did we, so I supposed it is a win win.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Wake me up when the Lions have a fuckin moment like this. Ain't no amount of draft pick gonna top it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBksKV6UNUw

I don't necessarily think the Lions have to have a moment like this for the trade to have been worth it for them. As a team, they are much better off than they were had the kept Stafford, who, while being a better QB, wouldn't have the tools surrounding him that Goff now has. The trade allowed the Rams to win a championship with a super-clutch QB while also allowing the Lions to improve their overall team much more than they would have had they kept Stafford and tried to build around him with their pre-trade draft capital. Again, win-win for all parties involved.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Picture in my avatar says it all.....

Memory that will last a lifetime....and a half.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strangely enough, with that trade the Lions are about to go further then Stafford could take them in over a decade. It also allowed Goff to once again validate his ability to lead a top offense, while showing Stafford just needed more help.

It really is a win win.

Both teams got what they wanted. We shipped future premium picks to get us over the hump of Super Bowl participants to Super Bowl winners for a year.

We were a mature team needing what Stafford gave us in the clutch big games. And boy did he come up clutch in the biggest moments.

Meanwhile the Lions rebuild is looking real strong. It is still TBD if they can ultimately get a ring or two.
I can't be complimentary enough with Brad and the job he's done up there. He comes onboard and they add a good leader at the head coach position and immediately start drafting well. And this year's draft was a hell of a job.

So now they're in a great situation. Loaded offense. QB who should be poised to lead that team into the playoffs. And a QB in the pipeline behind him if he falters.

This draft is one that other GMs will look at as a good example of how to do it right. Not sure they have enough on defense but the rebuild definitely looks strong and the way things are coming together plus Hooker ensures that Goff won't get complacent. He'll either kick ass or they'll flip to the next guy up. This is the way in today's NFL I think.

I just hope Green Bay loses a ton of games, but not enough to be in the top 5 of the draft. :laugh3:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We got a Super Bowl.

But I’d also call trade backs right now if I could.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't necessarily think the Lions have to have a moment like this for the trade to have been worth it for them. As a team, they are much better off than they were had the kept Stafford, who, while being a better QB, wouldn't have the tools surrounding him that Goff now has. The trade allowed the Rams to win a championship with a super-clutch QB while also allowing the Lions to improve their overall team much more than they would have had they kept Stafford and tried to build around him with their pre-trade draft capital. Again, win-win for all parties involved.
Yeah it's strange to see a trade like this, that worked so well on both sides. Can't remember the last big trade that was this balanced.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I’d also call trade backs right now if I could.
No way. Take a look at those old Buffalo teams. They had everything and couldn't get the title. Title in hand is king.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah it's strange to see a trade like this, that worked so well on both sides. Can't remember the last big trade that was this balanced.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of one myself, but ideally, it's what you shoot for when making a trade - everybody getting something that they value.

Some trades - like the trade for Marshall Faulk - are clearly win-lose, because there is just no way the Colts could have ever parlayed a 2nd and 5th into what Faulk did for us in becoming a champion and having a historically potent offense.

The Cowboys won the Herschel Walker trade while the Vikings clearly lost it, as the Cowboys used that draft capital to build a team that won 3 rings, while the Vikings wouldn't even bother designing their offense around Walker's strengths. Can't remember the name of the coach at the time, but that was one of the worst cases of coaching malpractice I've ever seen.

And some trades can be lose-lose. Neither the Raiders nor the Oilers got what they wanted out of the Stabler-for-Pastorini swap in 1980, although it ended up not mattering for Oakland when Jim Plunkett miraculously went from journeyman-bust to a Super Bowl QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without the Superbowl trophy this trade makes the infamous Herschel Walker trade look like a good deal for Minnesota.
But that's like saying without the boobies, the boobie thread isnt the same

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way. Take a look at those old Buffalo teams. They had everything and couldn't get the title. Title in hand is king.
Trade backs right now don’t come with a Time Machine Merlin

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Without the Superbowl trophy this trade makes the infamous Herschel Walker trade look like a good deal for Minnesota.
But that's like saying without the boobies, the Boobie thread isn't the same
I gave a Thumbs-Up for your post above but have to add a High-5 for the Boobie Thread!

Emoji-high-five.png

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You futhermucker!!!!

I wake up to this thread title and about had a damn heart attack!!!

What? We traded away Stafford??? WTF???

I’m relieved.

I gotta poop now…

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The gap massive enough for that final drive vs Tom Brady and the Buccs to tamp down Tampa Bay with a final soul snatching drive. He was clutch in the Super Bowl to do a no-look pass when we absolutely had to have it to win. The gap is wide as the Grand Canyon to me.
That’s such BS ? Unless your saying The Rams we’re better in 2018. I’ll never LET that FANDOM HOLDING call go. I won’t say Matthew Stafford isn’t the better QB.
-We can ADD ALL those PICK & ADD what it cost to get Jared Goff & say this could have been The Rams if you have Sean Mcvay instead of Jeff Fisher.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Are the Lions really that far away from getting to a Super Bowl?

I think they may be closer than they ever have been in the salary cap era. I hope they win one and that the Stafford trade played a role in building that team.

IDK how far they are, but i said it before and ill say it again, i hope they fall flat on their fuckin faces. Really got sick of everyone shitting on the Rams after winning a damn Lombardi trophy then jacking off to the Lions and their oh so precious fuckin draft picks.

Well IIRC wasn't his contact close to ending anyway? If he stayed there, who knows who the GM and coaches would be in that timeline.

But point is, the Super Bowl victory is gonna remain in place long after everyone here is dead and gone. No one is gonna give a shit about the draft picks.

BTW....i wonder what the reaction toward Les Snead would be had they traded up 20 spots or whatever it was to get a WR w/ a torn ACL, miss pretty much the whole year, and then get suspended from gambling to start off his second. :quiet:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK how far they are, but i said it before and ill say it again, i hope they fall flat on their fuckin faces. Really got sick of everyone shitting on the Rams after winning a damn Lombardi trophy then jacking off to the Lions and their oh so precious fuckin draft picks.
I definitely understand this sentiment.

muggmeister

Rookie
I’ll take the Super Bowl and higher level of QB play. However that trade has the potential to really pay off for Detroit.
Hell, Snead's on the phone offering Holmes 2 future 1st Rd picks, Stafford, Kupp, and Donald to gain back the players Detroit has received from the previous deal. Damn I glad I got my sense of humor back. Struggled recently, I hope my few previous (and only) posts didn't offend anyone.

muggmeister

Rookie

Well IIRC wasn't his contact close to ending anyway? If he stayed there, who knows who the GM and coaches would be in that timeline.

But point is, the Super Bowl victory is gonna remain in place long after everyone here is dead and gone. No one is gonna give a shit about the draft picks.

BTW....i wonder what the reaction toward Les Snead would be had they traded up 20 spots or whatever it was to get a WR w/ a torn ACL, miss pretty much the whole year, and then get suspended from gambling to start off his second. :quiet:
I personally never hated Detroit before (except for the Pistons) so I don't really hate them now. I will root for Detroit probably more than OTHER team not named the Rams. They've never been to the Super Bowl and I think if we don't make it it would be pretty cool to see the Lions represent the NFC. If they would like to thank the Rams, great, we'll win it the following year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outside the Rams I just root against other teams that I hate more than the others. Shitters. Div rivals. Asshat NFC teams like Green Bay or Dallas. Bastards like New England. This leads to interesting dynamics where I find myself rooting for some strange combinations of teams on certain weekends. :laugh2:

Detroit has never mattered enough to be on the hate list.