Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's been a lot of talk suggesting Stafford isn't 2 first-rounders better than Goff.

Some in the game day thread here and a shit ton more on Twitter.

He was bad on Sunday, but for the 4 games before that, he was very good.

As some said when we traded for him and since - he's streaky. I had no clue that was the case because wtf watches Detroit unless you're playing them? I have a friend who's a Lions fan and tries to avoid watching them.

I'm (clearly) not an X's and O's guy, but it seems to me that his best is better than Goff's best and his worst (Sunday notwithstanding) is not quite as bad.

Plus, he has more good games than Goff, at least the Goff from the Super Bowl on.

And for every Kansas City game Goff had, he also had a Chicago (that was the game that I become really concerned) and a Detroit.

2 x 1sts is a lot but it's different with a QB because the gap between bad name mediocre and mediocre and good is so small.

I personally think that Stafford over Goff is worth more than acquiring Ramsey (much though I love him) in terms of the likelihood of us winning it all.

The problem is, which Stafford will turn up in the playoffs?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
goff had 10+ wins as a starter 3 out of 4 years. dont think theres really a way to be 2 1sts better than that. If hes worth the 2 1sts itll be because of what he does in the playoffs imo. so hopefully he proves the front office right and lights it up come post season

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just a reminder, we had to throw in an extra first to get out of cap hell and the massive Goff contract.

So it's not just Goff vs Stafford, it's

Goff and humongous contract vs Stafford and reasonable contract.

So yeah, trade was definitely worth it IMHO

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a reminder, we had to throw in an extra first to get out of cap hell and the massive Goff contract.

This is true! Good reminder.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
goff had 10+ wins as a starter 3 out of 4 years. dont think theres really a way to be 2 1sts better than that. If hes worth the 2 1sts itll be because of what he does in the playoffs imo. so hopefully he proves the front office right and lights it up come post season
It's all relative.

You could be 9 and 7(8) and then power through the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and if it's your QB doing it, then that would be 2 1sts better imho.

Ramsey cannot win us a SB, but the difference between Goff and Saffold *could*.

Shuie3225

Starter
He's more talented than Goff and has put up better numbers his first year in this offense than Goff ever did. But we need to see him in the playoffs to get the true verdict.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
It's all relative.

You could be 9 and 7(8) and then power through the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and if it's your QB doing it, then that would be 2 1sts better imho.

Ramsey cannot win us a SB, but the difference between Goff and Saffold *could*.
so it comes down to playoff performance? isnt that what i said?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Interesting conversation but a moot point obviously as it's done and there's no turning back..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's a myth. If you compare our offer with the other offers they had, Goff had positive value in the trade (roughly second round value). It's also worth noting that in trading Goff, we had to eat a crapload of cap. Between Goff's dead cap and Stafford's cap hit, we're spending $44.7 million on our QB1 this year. If we hadn't traded Goff, his cap hit would have been $34.625 million. So no, the trade did not get us out of cap hell. We were never in cap hell.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
so it comes down to playoff performance? isnt that what i said?
Are you expecting me to read your entire post rather than rushing to respond to one line?

Pfft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the playoffs are necessary to give that year 1 answer. He has a couple shots to make us more potent in the playoffs and the first playoff look is coming soon.

I do feel we have a higher ceiling with him. But he also has to produce in the big games ahead so we are gonna nuke this in the offseason and should have more information to work with.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Last year's offense:

4014 passing yards (13th in NFL)
20 passing TDs (26th in NFL)
6.5 net yards per attempt (16th)
372 points (22nd in NFL)

This year:
4141 passing yards (6th in NFL)
36 passing TDs (2nd in NFL)
7.3 net passing yards per attempt (2nd)
416 points (6th in NFL)

Let's not forget how gross our offense was last year. 20th in yards per attempt, 22nd in passer rating. This year, we're 3rd in both. Last year, the Rams were tied for 12th out of the 14 playoff teams in passer rating, 11th in yards per attempt. In other words, the Rams had one of the worst passing attacks out of any team that made the playoffs.

In 2020 it was the defense and running game that lifted the team to the playoffs. This year the Rams passing game is its strongest asset and has lifted the Rams to 1st place in spite of a defense that fell from no 1 to middle of the pack, injuries to the RBs and outside of Matt Gay, not so hot special teams.

There has not been a reversal in the decline of Jared Goff, the player. They were going to move on from him anyway. If they hadn't done it last year, that's what would be dominating the board conversation again. They got someone to take on his contract and they got an upgrade, substantial, by the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.