Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Investing your first three picks in the 2022 Draft and your first pick in the 2023 Draft in two guys who are in their 30s is about winning in the short term. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. The Rams have been very transparent that they see their window as being open right now, and they're going for it.

As for Stafford, he takes an absolute beating out there. I respect the hell out of him for it. But if I'm the Rams, I am thinking about the post-Stafford era in the next couple years. If we're lucky, he may play at a high level until 40. If we're not so lucky, he may only have a handful more years left. In either case, it's smart to plan ahead, and it's a good idea to keep an eye out for a QB to develop behind him.
I see the Rams backup position being manned by reclamation projects in coming seasons. First rounders and such who bombed who are looking for some fairy dust.
But.. Who knows.. maybe there's a Marc Bulger in an upcoming draft and they get lucky there.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I also think Stafford will come back better physically next year.
His body is all he needs to focus on this offseason.. he doesn't have to learn an offense, move to a new organization, learn the receivers and his teammates.

He also won't be coming off a thumb surgery. He'll be better next year for the Rams.. the only question is how much?
If you look at the A Rodgers jump from year 1 of this system to year two it was incredible. Also J Burrow. And Goff as well. Stafford was amazing this year but next year with a full off-season of OBJ and Woods returning we could see an MVP type season. Hopefully he comes back stronger physically, and another year removed from his Detroit PTSD + more McVay coaching should yield less turnovers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see the Rams backup position being manned by reclamation projects in coming seasons. First rounders and such who bombed who are looking for some fairy dust.
But.. Who knows.. maybe there's a Marc Bulger in an upcoming draft and they get lucky there.
So far, E.J. Perry and Jack Coan have piqued my interest on Day 3.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know nothing about them. Will observe on the YouTube
Coan is a polished pocket passer. Sort of guy who could step in immediately and be a trustworthy backup. Might have starting potential down the line. In terms of upside, it's probably Kirk Cousins. More realistically, he's comparable to Brian Hoyer. Reliable game manager type.

Perry is much more of a developmental guy. Had a monster performance at the E-W Shrine Game. He's 6'2" 212 with great mobility and an above average arm. A lot of upside. But coming out of the Ivy League, he's probably not a guy you want playing as a rookie. Has some polishing to do.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Investing your first three picks in the 2022 Draft and your first pick in the 2023 Draft in two guys who are in their 30s is about winning in the short term. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. The Rams have been very transparent that they see their window as being open right now, and they're going for it.

As for Stafford, he takes an absolute beating out there. I respect the hell out of him for it. But if I'm the Rams, I am thinking about the post-Stafford era in the next couple years. If we're lucky, he may play at a high level until 40. If we're not so lucky, he may only have a handful more years left. In either case, it's smart to plan ahead, and it's a good idea to keep an eye out for a QB to develop behind him.
I see where you're coming from, but perhaps I disagree with you in the semantic way to define "short term." Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but IMHO the Rams strategy needn't necessarily be defined as a "short term strategy."

Investing two low1st-round picks in Jalen Ramsey was certainly a home run-- JR is only 27 and hitting his prime with plenty of great years left.

Von Miller is perhaps hard to gauge how long he's got, but he's only 32.

As for Stafford, he's "only" 34. I guess one way to think about it is that it's common for first round picks to play with their drafting teams for "only" four years, and then in their fifth year they (sometimes) become free agents and cash in and leave to another team. So using that as a barometer, then getting Stafford for "only" 4 great years is no different than getting a rookie first round pick for "only" 4 great years.

Stafford is 34 this year, and I'm confident he can play at a top level at 35, 36, and 37. That's 4 great years before he even hits 38.

Rodgers is 38 this year and he's MVP. And look at Brees and puke-Brady... they played great in their late 30s too.

Anyway... I can respect different viewpoints on this, but I guess I'd just say that "4 years" in my mind is not considered a "short term" in the NFL. If we can get a PROVEN ELITE COMMODITY for four years in exchange for a premium pick or two, I think the Rams have proven that's a great strategy. I guess I'm just stubbornly optimistic that they'll figure out a way to keep it going.... hell, if they wanna trade their 1st round picks in '24 and '25 and '26, I say "fuck them picks" as long as they keep hitting on proven elite talent. Maybe other teams will start coming around to copying the Rams model for success.

Cheers

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see where you're coming from, but perhaps I disagree with you in the semantic way to define "short term." Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but IMHO the Rams strategy needn't necessarily be defined as a "short term strategy."

Investing two low1st-round picks in Jalen Ramsey was certainly a home run-- JR is only 27 and hitting his prime with plenty of great years left.

Von Miller is perhaps hard to gauge how long he's got, but he's only 32.

As for Stafford, he's "only" 34. I guess one way to think about it is that it's common for first round picks to play with their drafting teams for "only" four years, and then in their fifth year they (sometimes) become free agents and cash in and leave to another team. So using that as a barometer, then getting Stafford for "only" 4 great years is no different than getting a rookie first round pick for "only" 4 great years.

Stafford is 34 this year, and I'm confident he can play at a top level at 35, 36, and 37. That's 4 great years before he even hits 38.

Rodgers is 38 this year and he's MVP. And look at Brees and puke-Brady... they played great in their late 30s too.

Anyway... I can respect different viewpoints on this, but I guess I'd just say that "4 years" in my mind is not considered a "short term" in the NFL. If we can get a PROVEN ELITE COMMODITY for four years in exchange for a premium pick or two, I think the Rams have proven that's a great strategy. I guess I'm just stubbornly optimistic that they'll figure out a way to keep it going.... hell, if they wanna trade their 1st round picks in '24 and '25 and '26, I say "fuck them picks" as long as they keep hitting on proven elite talent. Maybe other teams will start coming around to copying the Rams model for success.

Cheers
Yeah, when I'm saying short term, I am not just discussing Stafford. I'm talking about the overall strategy. They clearly intended to make a run at the Super Bowl this year. I expect them to try again over the next few years. Kind of like the Saints did with Brees during his mid to late 30s. My point is that we're not looking 10 years down the line. We're trying to win now. And that strategy is obviously paying off in a major way. So there's no reason to doubt it.

But I do think that we need to start planning for life after Stafford in the next couple years. That doesn't mean Stafford has only two years left. Rather, it means that we should look for his successor and use the time Stafford has left to develop that QB. I just don't see him going until he's 40.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My point is that we're not looking 10 years down the line....

But I do think that we need to start planning for life after Stafford in the next couple years. ....I just don't see him going until he's 40.
Well in fairness no team in the NFL is looking ten years down the line... heck, in just 4 years there can be complete 100% roster turnover in the NFL.

And I guess I don't necessarily agree with your suggestion that the Rams need to start grooming Stafford's successor within a couple years. Should they "keep an eye out for talent" and groom a competent backup and a "possible" replacement? Yeah sure, of course. But OTOH I could also see a scenario where the Rams ride it out with Stafford and a "serviceable backup" for four years. Then in 2025 or 2026, the Rams "do it again"-- they ship off a boatload of premium picks in a trade for another disgruntled proven QB who's stuck on a bad team somewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the Rams model-- trading away premium picks for proven talent, and filling out the youth of their roster in the later rounds-- just might actually be sustainable.

I don't mean to quibble with ya, just bored while waiting for the big game! Cheers Ram bro

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well in fairness no team in the NFL is looking ten years down the line... heck, in just 4 years there can be complete 100% roster turnover in the NFL.

And I guess I don't necessarily agree with your suggestion that the Rams need to start grooming Stafford's successor within a couple years. Should they "keep an eye out for talent" and groom a competent backup and a "possible" replacement? Yeah sure, of course. But OTOH I could also see a scenario where the Rams ride it out with Stafford and a "serviceable backup" for four years. Then in 2025 or 2026, the Rams "do it again"-- they ship off a boatload of premium picks in a trade for another disgruntled proven QB who's stuck on a bad team somewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the Rams model-- trading away premium picks for proven talent, and filling out the youth of their roster in the later rounds-- just might actually be sustainable.

I don't mean to quibble with ya, just bored while waiting for the big game! Cheers Ram bro
I agree with this and have stated it in the past, although not as well as you. I also am already running out of steam. Need the game to start.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Entire rosters can get turned over in four years. We’ve seen it on the Rams in the past. I’ll be happy with the year to year approach like they’ve been doing with Whitworth. Having some down years is often the price to be paid for a run of excellence. Other than the Patriots run most dynasties are 3-5 years long.

oldnotdead

Legend
Don't sleep on Perkins. He showed real developmental progress converting from a running QB to a pocket QB who can run. Last preseason was an eye-opener. Yes he's going against bland defenses etc, etc. But you could see him going through his progressions without getting "happy feet". The guy is just downright fast when he runs. His arm is not as strong as Lamar Jackson or Mahomes, but Brees proved arm strength can be improved. He also shows good timing and accuracy. IMO right now he's better than Kyler Murray who is a two read QB. After that he tries to create dropped coverages by breaking out of the pocket.

I think Perkins becomes #2 QB if he shows continued improvement in the preseason. IMO he's already better than Wolford.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't sleep on Perkins. He showed real developmental progress converting from a running QB to a pocket QB who can run. Last preseason was an eye-opener. Yes he's going against bland defenses etc, etc. But you could see him going through his progressions without getting "happy feet". The guy is just downright fast when he runs. His arm is not as strong as Lamar Jackson or Mahomes, but Brees proved arm strength can be improved. He also shows good timing and accuracy. IMO right now he's better than Kyler Murray who is a two read QB. After that he tries to create dropped coverages by breaking out of the pocket.

I think Perkins becomes #2 QB if he shows continued improvement in the preseason. IMO he's already better than Wolford.
I think he’s the backup next year too but I don’t see a starter there. McVay put Perkins on the roster because it was known that several teams were waiting to pick him up if the Rams tried to move him to the PS.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think he’s the backup next year too but I don’t see a starter there. McVay put Perkins on the roster because it was known that several teams were waiting to pick him up if the Rams tried to move him to the PS.
They need to keep looking. Talk about limitation.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think overall, Stafford is better than Goff. But my concern which I brought up before is that Goff if like 27 years old and Stafford is 34. Now if we win SB 56, I won't care but in the big picture, my question is whether the Rams gave up on Goff too early? What I mean is will Goff get that "AHA" moment where he becomes an elite QB? I doubt that will happen in Detroit but Goff's results in Detroit should not be an indicator by itself.
We don't have much time to wait because AD is 30. We have to win now and not waste his prime.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Can't throw it like you need to in this offense. Maybe for other teams he could start, like Baltimore, which runs an offense not relying on the deep pass or deep in-cuts & outs... I just don't see Perkins being a guy with the arm and anticipation to make those throws.

I could see Goff coming back as a backup if his market dries up down the road, before Perkins becomes the guy that can start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Entire rosters can get turned over in four years. We’ve seen it on the Rams in the past. I’ll be happy with the year to year approach like they’ve been doing with Whitworth. Having some down years is often the price to be paid for a run of excellence. Other than the Patriots run most dynasties are 3-5 years long.
I think there are benefits to developing a guy behind Stafford. First, if Matt does go down, our season isn't ruined. Second, if the young QB shows well and Matt continues to dominate, we can flip the QB for picks. Third, if Matt decides to retire unexpectedly in the next few years, we might have ourselves an heir apparent and won't have to scramble to find a QB.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see Perkins having starting QB upside and he's not nearly the QB that Kyler Murray is.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They need to keep looking. Talk about limitation.
I’ve been unimpressed with the way the Rams address the backup QB. Perkins nor Wolford doesn’t have the arm. It just seems like McVay is resigned to go with the Seneca Wallace change of pace backup. A guy that can run and bring another dimension.

Is that because they don’t want to waste picks on QBs that they don’t think are potential starting material? Maybe they spot a guy they think is a hidden gem but that position is so heavily scouted. It would be tough to uncover a starter in rounds 5-6-7

Status
Not open for further replies.