St. Louis Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Official Game Day thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm gonna miss the game live today cause of work but nfl network is showing a replay at 10pm. I'll try my best to avoid spoilers and watch that tonight. Go Rams!!
I'm in the same boat. I have to work 16 tonight so I'll have to stay away from here until tomorrow afternoon. 1 am replay showing (NFLN) here on the East coast anyways.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's actually DirecTV that won't split the cow. You can buy a package on NFL.com to watch only Rams games for $100. Although you have to run a VPN and appear out of country to do so.

That's sort of my point. I think the NFL would make more money allowing DirecTV a non-exclusive package and then selling Team exclusive streaming packages and team exclusive ppv packages and team exclusive bundles.

Something like "Rams streaming only, Season: $99. All Rams Games TV (PPV), Season $149. Combo pack. Rams View anywhere, Season $199"

Sure, some of the Sunday Ticket subs would opt for this. Probably plenty. But think of how many MORE who cannot get DirecTV or don't want DirecTV (I have FiOS and love it) would take advantage of such a deal.

It would be BETTER for the NFL in the long run as it gets more people PAYING to watch. That's huge. Instead, the NFL is going for the guaranteed money from DirecTV. And I can understand why DirecTV does it. More than half ONLY have DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket package. Without that, there's concern that it may not be a viable entity. As in, without Sunday Ticket, Satellite TV may not be a thing...at all. That's how powerful the NFL is right now.

But...the NFL can't think about that. The NFL needs to focus on its customers and how to keep the NFL on top as interests keep shifting.

The idea that I should have to either 1) pay for ONE type of provider that in my area is crap during football season (central Florida can be awful at the end of Hurricane season for satellite reception) or be content to watch whichever game the local affiliates and or corporate networks think are the biggest games rather than the game that interests me is just... well it isn't in keeping with the tech in 2015.

Where else do I just... watch what's on? I don't. I haven't flipped around the dial in over a decade. Everything I watch is On Demand, DVR'd or streamed. I don't just "watch" TV based on what's served to me any more than I just read what's in the paper (for better or worse...)

Anyway, sorry for hijacking thread. I'd spend real money for a real product, but I don't wanna spend money on a VPN at this time. Which leaves me... looking for streams.

I'd rather pay the NFL...but they won't take my money. And when was the last time you could say that?

RamBill

Legend
Rams vs. Oakland Raiders: 10 Players To Watch

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8/14/9151899/rams-raiders-preview-10-players-to-watch

Are you ready for some football? The Rams will be playing the Raiders and to help you prepare we have ten players to watch Friday night.

Do you smell that? That is the smell of Rams football returning. Yes, no more caring about training camp reports to find out how players are doing. Now we can watch them play in game situations as we wait for the regular season to begin.

Here are Tevin’s "Ten To Watch" against the Oakland Raiders.

Nick Foles - QB - 5 - Foles will not play more than a couple of series, however all eyes will be on the Rams new QB. It would be nice to see Foles lead the Rams' offense down the field and maybe a "wow" pass to one of the receivers. More than anything, if he looks solid and does not get injured then it was a successful night.

Barrett Jones - C - 67-The Rams' offensive line has changed significantly over the offseason. The biggest question is who will play center for the Rams. It truly is anyone's guess as to who will start when the regular season kicks off, however it appears Jones will get the first crack. There has been hype surrounding the third year pro. This game will be his first chance to show that he belongs as a starter.

Lamarcus Joyner - CB - 20 - Playing cornerback is a difficult position to transition to as a rookie, and it appears as though Joyner is going through his growing pains. However with E.J. Gaines out of commission with a foot injury [for an undisclosed amount of time], the team needs their 2014 2nd round selection to step up.

Trey Watts - RB - 42- If Watts wants to make the roster he will have to have a good preseason, starting with this game. He could be on the outside looking in when the regular season begins since he'll suspended for the first four games. The Rams' top two running backs should be sitting out this week, so this could be the best chance for Watt to show he is worth a roster spot.

Sean Mannion - QB -14 - Mannion might not be the starting quarterback for the Rams in the near future since the Rams re-signed Nick Foles, but he was a third round pick for the Rams in this year's draft. It will be interesting to see how he performs, and if he plays well everyone will want him to become the starting quarterback...since everyone loves the backup QB.

Maurice Alexander - S - 31- Last season, the Rams drafted Alexander in the fourth round and besides a couple of tackles on special teams he did not make an impact. This season should be more eventful for the young safety. In practice he has played with the first team and the coaches are high on him. The Rams secondary is not great, so if Alexander can develop he might be be a solid player.

Akeem Ayers - LB - 56 - The Rams do not use three down linebackers often, but the reports have Ayers replacing Jo-Lonn Dunbar and that seems important. The biggest question is how will Gregg Williams use Ayers? Will he be an extra blitzer on passing downs, a coverage defender, is he considered a third down linebacker? This game should hold some of the answers as to Ayers' role.

Rob Havenstein - RT - 79 - Havenstein was handed the starting right tackle position, and was told it was his job to lose. The Rams offensive line could be a weakness of the team all, and all eyes will be watching the second round pick.

Tavon Austin - WR - 11- It is impossible not to place the third year receiver on this list. The hype around Austin at the moment is that he has improved as a receiver. The most interesting tidbit of information is how the Rams have been playing him as an outside receiver during practice. Seeing how that transitions to games will be worth watching.

Ethan Westbrooks - DE/DT - 93 - It is hard to make an NFL team and it is almost impossible to make the team as an undrafted free agent. Westbrooks was able to make the roster and stay with the team even though they were deep on the defensive line. Westbrooks could end up an important rotational player for the Rams in case of injury. He was good in the preseason last year and another good preseason could not only mean job security but also more snaps.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Got it.

As to the game, don't be surprised if even though it is a pre-season game, Oakland comes out with a bit of a chip on their shoulder after the drubbing we handed them last season. I still think we are the far better team but watch out for Oakland maybe trying some dirty tactics. I know... SHOCKER... the Raiduhs doing something dirty.
Plus, is it just me, or are others seeing a fairly high level of football for the first pre-season week?

RamBill

Legend
Keys to Victory at Raiders

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Keys-to-Victory-at-Raiders/cd6f1f56-f4a1-43d4-99e2-97e1348c0908

By Myles Simmons

As we get closer to Friday’s 9 p.m. CT kickoff, here are three keys to victory for the Rams.

1) Establish an offensive rhythm

There have been a lot of moving parts on St. Louis’ offense, most notably with a promoted offensive coordinator in Frank Cignetti and a new quarterback in Nick Foles. While the first unit may only play a couple of series against the Raiders, it’s important for the group to build an on-field connection against live competition. Practice reps are good work, but they can’t completely replicate the stress of being in a game situation. A little can go a long way when it comes to some strong preseason play.

2) Get snaps for young offensive linemen

The Rams invested heavily in their offensive front during the offseason, and will be debuting a rookie right side of their line with Rob Havenstein at tackle and Jamon Brown at guard. Head coach Jeff Fisher said the pair may play a bit longer than some other members of the first unit, but not by much. Still, these preseason reps could pay significant dividends in preparing the young OLs for the regular-season opener against Seattle.

3) Stay healthy

This will likely be a key for each of the preseason games, as no one wants to see a long-term injury for any player occur in August. The Rams will need to do a good job of protecting their quarterback, so as to not get him hit too much. But the rest of the team will need to a solid job of keeping themselves out of harms way as well. That isn’t to say take plays off, as that’s how players can get injured, too, but playing smart will be critical throughout the preseason.

RamBill

Legend
New-look Rams offense gets first shot at outside opponent
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-offense-gets-first-shot-at-outside-opponent

The St. Louis Rams open the preseason at 10 p.m. ET Friday against the Oakland Raiders at O.co Coliseum. Here's a couple things to watch for during the game:

Why watch: The Rams won't play the starting offense much but quarterback Nick Foles, new starters at center, right guard and right tackle and coordinator Frank Cignetti will get their first crack at running the team's revamped offense. It's been tough sledding for that group during training camp but now we'll get a taste of whether that's more a function of their own struggles or the product of playing a dominant defense.

Did you know: Unless you're a diehard wanting to see which Rams might win roster spots 49-53, there's often little reason to watch the second half of the first preseason game but there's a fun family tie that should add a little something to the second half in this one. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' son, Chase, is a rookie linebacker for the Raiders. Not many dads get to coach against their son in their first NFL game but it'll be a Williams family affair Friday night.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That's sort of my point. I think the NFL would make more money allowing DirecTV a non-exclusive package and then selling Team exclusive streaming packages and team exclusive ppv packages and team exclusive bundles.

Something like "Rams streaming only, Season: $99. All Rams Games TV (PPV), Season $149. Combo pack. Rams View anywhere, Season $199"

Sure, some of the Sunday Ticket subs would opt for this. Probably plenty. But think of how many MORE who cannot get DirecTV or don't want DirecTV (I have FiOS and love it) would take advantage of such a deal.

It would be BETTER for the NFL in the long run as it gets more people PAYING to watch. That's huge. Instead, the NFL is going for the guaranteed money from DirecTV. And I can understand why DirecTV does it. More than half ONLY have DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket package. Without that, there's concern that it may not be a viable entity. As in, without Sunday Ticket, Satellite TV may not be a thing...at all. That's how powerful the NFL is right now.

But...the NFL can't think about that. The NFL needs to focus on its customers and how to keep the NFL on top as interests keep shifting.

The idea that I should have to either 1) pay for ONE type of provider that in my area is crap during football season (central Florida can be awful at the end of Hurricane season for satellite reception) or be content to watch whichever game the local affiliates and or corporate networks think are the biggest games rather than the game that interests me is just... well it isn't in keeping with the tech in 2015.

Where else do I just... watch what's on? I don't. I haven't flipped around the dial in over a decade. Everything I watch is On Demand, DVR'd or streamed. I don't just "watch" TV based on what's served to me any more than I just read what's in the paper (for better or worse...)

Anyway, sorry for hijacking thread. I'd spend real money for a real product, but I don't wanna spend money on a VPN at this time. Which leaves me... looking for streams.

I'd rather pay the NFL...but they won't take my money. And when was the last time you could say that?
Ignoring the thread hi-jack that this is for the moment, :whistle:, what do you love about FiOS?

jjab360

Legend
Rams vs. Oakland Raiders: 10 Players To Watch

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8/14/9151899/rams-raiders-preview-10-players-to-watch

Are you ready for some football? The Rams will be playing the Raiders and to help you prepare we have ten players to watch Friday night.

Do you smell that? That is the smell of Rams football returning. Yes, no more caring about training camp reports to find out how players are doing. Now we can watch them play in game situations as we wait for the regular season to begin.

Here are Tevin’s "Ten To Watch" against the Oakland Raiders.

Nick Foles - QB - 5 - Foles will not play more than a couple of series, however all eyes will be on the Rams new QB. It would be nice to see Foles lead the Rams' offense down the field and maybe a "wow" pass to one of the receivers. More than anything, if he looks solid and does not get injured then it was a successful night.

Barrett Jones - C - 67-The Rams' offensive line has changed significantly over the offseason. The biggest question is who will play center for the Rams. It truly is anyone's guess as to who will start when the regular season kicks off, however it appears Jones will get the first crack. There has been hype surrounding the third year pro. This game will be his first chance to show that he belongs as a starter.

Lamarcus Joyner - CB - 20 - Playing cornerback is a difficult position to transition to as a rookie, and it appears as though Joyner is going through his growing pains. However with E.J. Gaines out of commission with a foot injury [for an undisclosed amount of time], the team needs their 2014 2nd round selection to step up.

Trey Watts - RB - 42- If Watts wants to make the roster he will have to have a good preseason, starting with this game. He could be on the outside looking in when the regular season begins since he'll suspended for the first four games. The Rams' top two running backs should be sitting out this week, so this could be the best chance for Watt to show he is worth a roster spot.

Sean Mannion - QB -14 - Mannion might not be the starting quarterback for the Rams in the near future since the Rams re-signed Nick Foles, but he was a third round pick for the Rams in this year's draft. It will be interesting to see how he performs, and if he plays well everyone will want him to become the starting quarterback...since everyone loves the backup QB.

Maurice Alexander - S - 31- Last season, the Rams drafted Alexander in the fourth round and besides a couple of tackles on special teams he did not make an impact. This season should be more eventful for the young safety. In practice he has played with the first team and the coaches are high on him. The Rams secondary is not great, so if Alexander can develop he might be be a solid player.

Akeem Ayers - LB - 56 - The Rams do not use three down linebackers often, but the reports have Ayers replacing Jo-Lonn Dunbar and that seems important. The biggest question is how will Gregg Williams use Ayers? Will he be an extra blitzer on passing downs, a coverage defender, is he considered a third down linebacker? This game should hold some of the answers as to Ayers' role.

Rob Havenstein - RT - 79 - Havenstein was handed the starting right tackle position, and was told it was his job to lose. The Rams offensive line could be a weakness of the team all, and all eyes will be watching the second round pick.

Tavon Austin - WR - 11- It is impossible not to place the third year receiver on this list. The hype around Austin at the moment is that he has improved as a receiver. The most interesting tidbit of information is how the Rams have been playing him as an outside receiver during practice. Seeing how that transitions to games will be worth watching.

Ethan Westbrooks - DE/DT - 93 - It is hard to make an NFL team and it is almost impossible to make the team as an undrafted free agent. Westbrooks was able to make the roster and stay with the team even though they were deep on the defensive line. Westbrooks could end up an important rotational player for the Rams in case of injury. He was good in the preseason last year and another good preseason could not only mean job security but also more snaps.
Isaiah Battle is a big one for me, want to see if he'll be a contributor any time soon or if this really is a redshirt season for him.

RamBill

Legend
Five things to watch for in Rams vs. Raiders
FOX Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/st-louis-rams-oakland-raiders-five-things-to-watch-081415#

There is optimism surrounding the St. Louis Rams - and for good reason.

Their defense could potentially be the best in the league and they drafted a top running back (Todd Gurley), who could turn out to be a franchise star.

Still, under Jeff Fisher's watch, the club has yet to reach the postseason.

Will this be the season that the Rams turn a corner and take the next step?

Here are five things to watch for in the Rams' first preseason game:

1. The Nick Foles era begins

Outside of drafting Todd Gurley, acquiring Nick Foles was arguably the biggest addition to this Rams roster. The reviews on Foles out of training camp have been glowing. In fact, Chris Givens called him "the best quarterback he's ever played with." Other teammates have also raved about his leadership and his command of the huddle. The Rams clearly saw enough, too, in rewarding Foles with a two-year extension. The connection between Foles, his offensive line and receivers is something to keep an eye on throughout the preseason.

2. Is Tavon Austin for real?

Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and head coach Jeff Fisher have both publicly supported Tavon Austin in training camp. Cignetti has been impressed with his offseason improvement in specific areas, including his route running; Fisher believes 2015 could be a breakout year for the third-year man out of West Virginia. Austin has the ability to be a difference maker on special teams and at wide receiver for the Rams. Whether he can put it all together come fall remains to be seen.

3. Offensive line in flux

The team used five draft picks in the 2015 NFL Draft on offensive linemen to shore up a unit that allowed 47 sacks in 2014, eighth highest in the league. Greg Robinson (left tackle) and Rodger Saffold (left guard) are expected to start with the center, right tackle and right guard positions an uncertainty. Through training camp so far, rookies Rob Havenstein (right tackle) and Jamon Brown (right guard) are the favorites to start. Centers Tim Barnes (four career starts), Barrett Jones (zero career starts) and Demetrius Rhaney (missed all of last season due to injury) have rotated reps with the first team. Keeping Foles upright - and healthy - should be a priority if the Rams see him as the quarterback of the future. But who will be protecting him is a bigger question mark now.

4. Backup quarterback battle

Presumably, it's Case Keenum and Austin Davis battling it out for a roster spot. Sean Mannion likely makes the final cuts considering the Rams used a third-round pick on him. This position battle is certainly something to keep an eye on considering Foles missed eight games in 2014. Both Davis and Keenum have starting experience, though. The former started eight games in 2014 with Sam Bradford sidelined all year, while the latter has 10 career starts under his belt.

5. Jared Cook watch

Since coming over from Tennessee, Jared Cook has yet to live up to expectations that earned him a five-year, $35 million contract. In consecutive seasons, however, he's led the team in receptions. But the revolving door at quarterback could also be a cause for Cook's inconsistency. Sam Bradford never managed to stay healthy; Davis and Shaun Hill split eight starts apiece in 2014; even Kellen Clemens started nine games in 2013. If Foles can stay healthy, would that alone be enough to elevate Cook's play?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's preseason and regular season now. They don't offer just a preseason package. It's basically the Rewind and preseason bundled together.
Yep. I ordered the preseason streaming/replay package standalone every year. I think it was like 10 or 15 bucks.
Now it's gone. BS

I'll be working late tnite so no game for me.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Only objectives for tonight.
Get the work in.
And no one gets hurt.

If Those happen it's a win.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't know if I'll be able to stay up and start watching it at 1am... but I will make sure I watch it without knowing the results beforehand. Even if it is just a preseason game.

Staying healthy IS a win.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yep. I ordered the preseason streaming/replay package standalone every year. I think it was like 10 or 15 bucks.
Now it's gone. BS

I'll be working late tnite so no game for me.

I'm looking at a service called NFL2go. Looks like you send $25 worth of bitcoin and get regular season access to the NFL.com service for live games. I've only just now learned about it so i'm not sure on particulars. But, could be an option if you're into it. People are reporting HD quality on the ROKU app, and you can run it on the PS4 browser and WIIu browser.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know if I'll be able to stay up and start watching it at 1am... but I will make sure I watch it without knowing the results beforehand. Even if it is just a preseason game.

Staying healthy IS a win.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm looking at a service called NFL2go. Looks like you send $25 worth of bitcoin and get regular season access to the NFL.com service for live games. I've only just now learned about it so i'm not sure on particulars. But, could be an option if you're into it. People are reporting HD quality on the ROKU app, and you can run it on the PS4 browser and WIIu browser.
I'll check into it. I have a PS4. Thanks dude.