Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless McVay is getting a HC job, I don't think Washington would block the move, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part
The Ryan watch is interesting for sure, he has 2 winnable games left. Wonder if they can bag him after a 9-7 record

Wouldn't be surprised if they fire him. I think they more or less said he's done this year if he doesn't make the playoffs.

As for Callahan, the Cowboys blocked teams from interviewing him when he worked there. I don't see Danny Snyder being less of a douche.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't be surprised if they fire him. I think they more or less said he's done this year if he doesn't make the playoffs.

As for Callahan, the Cowboys blocked teams from interviewing him when he worked there. I don't see Danny Snyder being less of a douche.
I hear you. I cant stand Ryan. I never had a problem with the Jets, would pull for them in the few times they were good, until Ryan came aboard. Turned me against the team. That said, its a hard sell to the fans that for the 2nd time in 3 years a coach with a winning record leaves the team, and that being only the 2nd winning season in the last 12 years. (3rd in 18 years)
And on Callahan, he was the OC in Dallas, then demoted and then not allowed to interview. That's pretty harsh.
I would like to think a brother wouldn't want to screw him again like that, as he would likely leave after his contract ran out. But yeah, its Snyder, and its business...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Im not crazy about the idea of Gruden, dont like that fact he has not been in the league for a while.

That being a said, I hated the idea of Dick Vermeil coming for the same reasons, but loved the Spags and Fisher hiring. so what do I know lol.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
One of our friends here once posted a long note about what a nightmare Gruden was in Tampa Bay. His relationship with players and the press was not good. He lived in Tampa or the area, so he had real knowledge about it. I don't recall if it was @Selassie I or not, but he convinced me that Gruden was a bad choice, back when Fisher was being considered. The last thing this team needs is an egomaniac for a coach that blames players and doesn't get along with the press. Plus, like a few have stated, has been out of coaching too long. Can he really go from his cushy, in comparison, lifestyle to the 24/7 coaching grind?

Close Elm...

I have direct experience with Jay Gruden. My oldest son played HS football with Jay's son and I used to sit with him at practices and games. I must admit that I was fascinated with his football IQ and insight... but, I was definitely surprised that his ego was able to fit into that HS' football stadium. His wife's ego was even bigger than his if you can imagine that. I kinda feel bad being the one to put that out there... but my description of them is kind in comparison to what I have heard from others LOL... so I'll just leave it at that.

Now my son did have some 1st hand experience with Jon. He told me that Jon must have been the person who taught Jay everything he knows about egos.

Jon has never been a favorite of mine. That goes back to his days in Tampon. Please remember that I have a true HATE for that team. I have called Jon "Golden Chain" since he was coaching the bucs... he used to wear a gold chain on the outside of his shirt when he marched up and down the sidelines making pirate faces in Tampon.

My wife has already asked me what in the hell I will do if Golden Chain is hired by the Rams. All I can say is... "I'm still gonna call him Golden Chain".

Tell you what...

If he gets the job with the Rams, I'll get Warren Sapp's thoughts on what we should expect and post em here for everyone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Close Elm...

I have direct experience with Jay Gruden. My oldest son played HS football with Jay's son and I used to sit with him at practices and games. I must admit that I was fascinated with his football IQ and insight... but, I was definitely surprised that his ego was able to fit into that HS' football stadium. His wife's ego was even bigger than his if you can imagine that. I kinda feel bad being the one to put that out there... but my description of them is kind in comparison to what I have heard from others LOL... so I'll just leave it at that.

Now my son did have some 1st hand experience with Jon. He told me that Jon must have been the person who taught Jay everything he knows about egos.

Jon has never been a favorite of mine. That goes back to his days in Tampon. Please remember that I have a true HATE for that team. I have called Jon "Golden Chain" since he was coaching the bucs... he used to wear a gold chain on the outside of his shirt when he marched up and down the sidelines making pirate faces in Tampon.

My wife has already asked me what in the hell I will do if Golden Chain is hired by the Rams. All I can say is... "I'm still gonna call him Golden Chain".

Tell you what...

If he gets the job with the Rams, I'll get Warren Sapp's thoughts on what we should expect and post em here for everyone.

Thanks for chiming in. The part about Sapp's opinion would be fantastic....if Gruden ends up getting hired by the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hear you. I cant stand Ryan. I never had a problem with the Jets, would pull for them in the few times they were good, until Ryan came aboard. Turned me against the team. That said, its a hard sell to the fans that for the 2nd time in 3 years a coach with a winning record leaves the team, and that being only the 2nd winning season in the last 12 years. (3rd in 18 years)
And on Callahan, he was the OC in Dallas, then demoted and then not allowed to interview. That's pretty harsh.
I would like to think a brother wouldn't want to screw him again like that, as he would likely leave after his contract ran out. But yeah, its Snyder, and its business...

I am the same way when it comes to either Ryan. As a kid in the early 80's I would watch the Jets and Giants on WPIX. I was a Rams fan but I liked both of those teams because I saw them every week. Gecko and Gastineua, Gary Jeter, Ken O'Brien, etc... They were like me second teams. I pull for them still to some degree, but when Rex was in NY I hated the Jets, ditto for the Bills, another team I lean toward a bit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am good with a coach who doesn't get along with the press. The blaming player part depends. I've heard some bad in regards to Gruden with that. I've also heard some good. I remember Keyshawn Johnson trashing him, but I also read Warren Sapp saying that the captains of the Bucs were the ones who made the call to bench Keyshawn because none of them could stand his selfishness.

Now that he's been part of the media, maybe that'll change him a bit.

Frankly, it seems to me that many of the best coaches are egomaniacs who have no problem calling out their own players. A lot of people felt that Fisher didn't do enough to hold his players accountable. I guess Gruden would be quite different in that regard. I also think if he's serious about coming back, he can handle the grind.

My big concern with Gruden is giving him personnel power. He always has had an affinity for veteran players and building through FA. I prefer coaches who build a young core and tend to build through the draft.

My other more minor concern is him adapting his system to today's NFL.

I would welcome a few veterans on this team if they brought leadership with them, especially on the OLine, but there is a limit. Gruden just seems to be too much about himself. Coaching is about the team and teaching them how to win. Gruden has been in the spotlight as a revered coaching God since his Oakland/Tampa feats. Going back to coaching would be a huge adjustment.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Come on guys. You can do better than Gruden. Another career .500 guy that rode Dungy's coat tails to the superbowl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I could be OK with Jon IF he has zero control over the draft room during the 3 days of the draft. Jon has solidly provide a history resume of being devoid of any ability to draft players who can contribute on his teams. Check out all of his drafted players while he was the Gm/HC.o_O

....and we all know that it not going to happen so I would prefer to move on from Jon if at all possible.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa

since going 15-4, including the Super Bowl, in his first season with the Bucs, Gruden went 45-53

Since winning the Super Bowl, Tampa Bay is 9-17 in the month of December.

He basically took Tony Dungys team and ran into the ground​

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

since going 15-4, including the Super Bowl, in his first season with the Bucs, Gruden went 45-53

Since winning the Super Bowl, Tampa Bay is 9-17 in the month of December.

He basically took Tony Dungys team and ran into the ground​

There's some truth to that. However, it's also worth pointing out that when Gruden took the job, all parties were aware that the team had basically one season to make a run because cap hell was looming. It's why Bill Parcells turned the job down.

Plus, the Bucs traded 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for Gruden IIRC. So they were heading into cap hell and traded a lot of their picks. Can't say it's surprising the team had some rough patches.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Charles Robinson
NFL columnist

2f0b0589338686d1fd29a65db89beca8

Jon Gruden last coached in the NFL in 2008. (AP

The Los Angeles Rams are moving toward a meeting with ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about the team’s head coaching vacancy, multiple sources with knowledge of the Rams’ coaching search have told Yahoo Sports. The sources indicated Gruden has become a focal point on the Rams’ list of candidates, but that other candidates could also come into play – notably Stanford Cardinal head coach David Shaw and New Orleans Saints coach Asshole Face.

It’s not known whether Shaw or Payton have any level of interest in the Rams job, but multiple sources said Gruden would be inclined to listen if the Rams were willing to grant him full personnel authority. One source said such a concession would be a “must” for Gruden to even consider taking a meeting with franchise leadership in the coming days. The Rams will consider granting personnel authority to at least some of the candidates in their search and that Gruden is among that group, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Gruden, Shaw and Payton are three names that continue to fit the theme of the early list of Rams candidates who would make a big splash in the market. The team also had initial interest in Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and University of Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh but both quickly brushed off any consideration for the opening. If Shaw is interested, the Rams could quickly set a meeting with his representatives. Seeking Payton would be more complicated, as he signed a five-year contract extension with the Saints last offseason and the Rams would first need to reach some level of agreement on potential draft-pick compensation with New Orleans.

A meeting with Gruden would be far less burdensome, particularly considering there is already some high-level familiarity with the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders coach. Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff previously spent four years with the Buccaneers from 2005-09, overlapping with the final four years of Gruden’s tenure as head coach of the Buccaneers. During that time, Demoff was a senior assistant to then-general manager Bruce Allen. Essentially, he had a front-row seat to see how Gruden ran his coaching staff and interacted with the personnel department. It’s that experience which is believed to be elevating Gruden on the list – along with Gruden’s high profile.

Those who have spent time with Gruden say he has continued to believe he could again coach at a championship level in the NFL, particularly with rule changes that have given more leeway to offenses in recent years. But they’ve also said he has viewed his options for a return very selectively and largely predicated on a team’s quarterback situation. In that respect, Gruden’s belief in Jared Goff would be key.

It’s notable that he gushed about Goff in one of his “QB Camp” features on ESPN and also in some other interviews. While such public praise is taken with a grain of salt in many corners of the NFL, one source close to Gruden said he has also privately expressed that he believes Goff is a franchise quarterback.

“He does believe in him – that’s not just for TV,” one source familiar with Gruden said. “He thinks [Goff] has the stuff to be a franchise quarterback. I don’t know if Jon would have traded the farm to get him, but he sees him as a guy that was worthy of building a team around him. He sees leadership and star power there.”

Interestingly, those are two traits the Rams might value most in Gruden, too. Not just that he has been to a pair of Super Bowls and won a ring, but also because he has the type of high profile that will resonate with the Rams’ fan base. For financial reasons, that is expected to play a factor in the next head coaching hire.

While other names have been raised in the Rams’ search, sources have told Yahoo Sports there is a business component that will also factor – specifically, the plan of Rams owner Stan Kroenke to sell hundreds of millions of dollars in personal seat licenses for the new Inglewood stadium. The Rams are expected to begin that effort in force in early 2017 – not exactly an ideal launching point with the Los Angeles fan base already seeming to have grown frustrated with the team.

[sports.yahoo.com]
Gruden is very high on my List too, the same with David Shaw! Payton is not on my list, he would cost too much, in Draft picks, and He was a "Dick" in his Win over the Rams a couple weeks ago!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I were a betting man I would bet that he will be the coach. I think he has the desire to coach again and I think he is precisely the man Demoff/Kroenke want. I also think it would be a mistake to give him that much control. I also think he is a bit overrated as a HC. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that opinion.
Gruden has Coach in two SB's Won 1, has Coach two different Teams, in two different Conferences, to very respectable records in doing so! I wouldn't call that overrated! JMHO

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

The Los Angeles Rams are moving toward a meeting with ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about the team’s head coaching vacancy, multiple sources with knowledge of the Rams’ coaching search have told Yahoo Sports. The sources indicated Gruden has become a focal point on the Rams’ list of candidates, but that other candidates could also come into play – notably Stanford Cardinal head coach David Shaw and New Orleans Saints coach Asshole Face.

Ah, those with "knowledge" leaking more information. Damn, maybe Fisher was right when he said good teams keep everything within. Until a name, from within the Rams organization, is tied to these reports, nothing can be relied upon. The rumors flying around about their next coach are just that... rumors. I don't believe anything being reported about a possible head coach. It's funny how some of these writers get fixated on one guy and then run story after story about the guy being the right guy, or rumored to be the next coach because of their "sources from within the organization." Until Demoff or Kroenke speak, everything else is just speculation and noise. Crap for all you guys know, I might in consideration for head coach. Hell, I might leak that information to one of these writers and see how far it goes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One good thing I can say for Gruden is that he has to hate the Patriots as much as we do. Because he got screwed over by the NFL just as hard as the Rams did in 2001.(tuck rule)