Sources: Jon Gruden a focal point in L.A. Rams' coaching search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Fisher could have won the superbowl with that bucs team. And despite winning 2 divisional titles in
6 years, he won an average of about 7.5 games a year during that stretch. Sound familiar? I like gruden, and would definitely have him as a must interview, I'm just not sold on him, especially with the kind of control he would want. But maybe you're right. Maybe he'd have done better with that control with the bucs. I also remember that players were getting burned out by his approach. Maybe it was too intense for them.

Well, thanks to the new CBA we don't have to worry about that. Also, it might be what the players need after the tea and crumpet parties that Fisher called practice.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This guy is pretty high on my list of guys. I know he has been away from coaching for a while but he has not been away from football.

Sometimes stepping away can give you great perspective. I could also see Gruden fielding a very nice staff.

Didn't the Raiders trade Gruden to the Bucs?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can dig a Les Snead/Jon Gruden ran team. Let Snead handle the GM roles and Gruden be the HC and I think we would be a very successful team. Gruden knows a lot of people in this league, so if he were to get the job, he would put together a good staff. We could do a lot worse then Gruden IMO. Plus, after talking to Sapp about Gruden that makes me want him a little bit more. :yess:

Jon would get full control if he were to sign on. He's a rockstar level HC candidate, it is what it is. Which is what worries me about him moreso than some of the others like Harbaugh and Saban.

The GM decision looms large regardless of who comes in tbh. Even Gruden is going to need a strong supporting cast and at this point I am not sure Snead would provide that. I would hope that this is where all those connections he has work in his favor, and ours, where he'd be able to put up a nice recommendation sheet with inputs from some GM luminaries he knows personally.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would love a guy like Gruden coaching Goff.
I have no doubt that Goff's development would be Gruden's #1 priority.
Gruden likes to teach. He gets excited talking about young qb's and he's good at it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Jon would get full control if he were to sign on. He's a rockstar level HC candidate, it is what it is. Which is what worries me about him moreso than some of the others like Harbaugh and Saban.

The GM decision looms large regardless of who comes in tbh. Even Gruden is going to need a strong supporting cast and at this point I am not sure Snead would provide that. I would hope that this is where all those connections he has work in his favor, and ours, where he'd be able to put up a nice recommendation sheet with inputs from some GM luminaries he knows personally.
The hard part for me is, we really don't know what we have in Snead.

We do know that Fisher was fired and Snead is still employed. We have heard rumors that Fisher and Snead didn't get along. Exactly why, we don't know.
Possibly Fisher trumped Snead on personell decisions that failed.
We don't know

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The hard part for me is, we really don't know what we have in Snead.

We do know that Fisher was fired and Snead is still employed. We have heard rumors that Fisher and Snead didn't get along. Exactly why, we don't know.
Possibly Fisher trumped Snead on personell decisions that failed.
We don't know

This is true. Demoff undoubtedly knows more than us, but still... In the end it doesn't matter. Why? Because the only question is whether the new Head Coach approves of Snead sticking around. Demoff is not going to allow Les to stand in the way of hiring the guy he wants.

Which is why he's gone, IMO. I just don't see any of these guys wanting to keep him around.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I think most coaching candidates are going to ask for that, unfortunately.
I myself would prefer a GM calling the shots and the coaches coach. With input, but not total control.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is true. Demoff undoubtedly knows more than us, but still... In the end it doesn't matter. Why? Because the only question is whether the new Head Coach approves of Snead sticking around. Demoff is not going to allow Les to stand in the way of hiring the guy he wants.

Which is why he's gone, IMO. I just don't see any of these guys wanting to keep him around.
That's a very real possibility.
Snead may have made the first cut, but the final cuts may still be in play.

The team has found some talent in the draft. Especially in the later rounds and in UDFA's. Our 2nd rnd picks have left much to be desired, though.
I wish we knew more about how much control over personnel Snead has actually had.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I remember one Jon Gruden quote in Bucs training camp..

He screamed "I just got a 15 yard penalty because I kicked your ass!"

Always stuck out to me because while he's a fun guy, he demands accountability and respect, and isn't afraid to discipline his players and be a coach. Fisher seemed to lack that, and I think it's a good quality Gruden could bring. Obviously there'd be concerns but I'm for it.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'd love to have him with Williams as DC. We'd win a shit ton of games, and our entire team would be the most fired up team in existence.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of our friends here once posted a long note about what a nightmare Gruden was in Tampa Bay. His relationship with players and the press was not good. He lived in Tampa or the area, so he had real knowledge about it. I don't recall if it was @Selassie I or not, but he convinced me that Gruden was a bad choice, back when Fisher was being considered. The last thing this team needs is an egomaniac for a coach that blames players and doesn't get along with the press. Plus, like a few have stated, has been out of coaching too long. Can he really go from his cushy, in comparison, lifestyle to the 24/7 coaching grind?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of our friends here once posted a long note about what a nightmare Gruden was in Tampa Bay. His relationship with players and the press was not good. He lived in Tampa or the area, so he had real knowledge about it. I don't recall if it was @Selassie I or not, but he convinced me that Gruden was a bad choice, back when Fisher was being considered. The last thing this team needs is an egomaniac for a coach that blames players and doesn't get along with the press. Plus, like a few have stated, has been out of coaching too long. Can he really go from his cushy, in comparison, lifestyle to the 24/7 coaching grind?

I am good with a coach who doesn't get along with the press. The blaming player part depends. I've heard some bad in regards to Gruden with that. I've also heard some good. I remember Keyshawn Johnson trashing him, but I also read Warren Sapp saying that the captains of the Bucs were the ones who made the call to bench Keyshawn because none of them could stand his selfishness.

Now that he's been part of the media, maybe that'll change him a bit.

Frankly, it seems to me that many of the best coaches are egomaniacs who have no problem calling out their own players. A lot of people felt that Fisher didn't do enough to hold his players accountable. I guess Gruden would be quite different in that regard. I also think if he's serious about coming back, he can handle the grind.

My big concern with Gruden is giving him personnel power. He always has had an affinity for veteran players and building through FA. I prefer coaches who build a young core and tend to build through the draft.

My other more minor concern is him adapting his system to today's NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Washington out of the playoff hunt, so Callahan will be available to interview right away...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Washington out of the playoff hunt, so Callahan will be available to interview right away...

Only if we offer him a HC job. If we don't, they can block any interview request.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only if we offer him a HC job. If we don't, they can block any interview request.
Understood, I would hope that Gruden wouldn't deny his own brother the opportunity to talk to him though

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Understood, I would hope that Gruden wouldn't deny his own brother the opportunity to talk to him though

If I were Jay Gruden, I would. I think Daniel Snyder will too.

However, the good news is that Rex Ryan is likely fired. Aaron Kromer is the Bills OL Coach. He's considered one of the best in the NFL. That means he'll become available. He coached under Gruden and Bill Callahan back in Oakland then followed Gruden to Tampa Bay after Callahan was fired. He also coached under Asshole Face (if we grab Payton).

If we land Payton or Gruden, I expect him to be the OL Coach. Just don't see Washington letting Callahan walk.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were Jay Gruden, I would. I think Daniel Snyder will too.

However, the good news is that Rex Ryan is likely fired. Aaron Kromer is the Bills OL Coach. He's considered one of the best in the NFL. That means he'll become available. He coached under Gruden and Bill Callahan back in Oakland then followed Gruden to Tampa Bay after Callahan was fired. He also coached under Asshole Face (if we grab Payton).

If we land Payton or Gruden, I expect him to be the OL Coach. Just don't see Washington letting Callahan walk.
Unless McVay is getting a HC job, I don't think Washington would block the move, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part
The Ryan watch is interesting for sure, he has 2 winnable games left. Wonder if they can bag him after a 9-7 record