Someone please explain why the Rams still have Wells?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I highly doubt Wells is going to be back next season. I would have preferred that they release him as soon as they could but I'm not going to worry about it too much until the 12th comes and he is still on the roster. If that happens, then I will be highly upset.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You know Jones/Rhaney could actually be even worse than Wells right?

I'm going to go ahead and trust that the front office knows more of what to expect from our in house options than you do.

I'm also going to hold out hope that we sign Wisniewski because the fact that they're holding onto Wells right now isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the two youngsters on the roster.

Could be, but I doubt it. Jones played well enough in the KC game. I'm going to call Fisher's retirement retreat on this one. His kindness to vets is sickening sometimes. Fisher's Veteran Retreat is in full effect with Wells and Jake Long.

lockdnram21

Legend
Think wells isn't going anywhere. Just read that there are people that want him to stay

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
There is a very logical explanation for this. Simply put...... (n)

Oh goodness, just realized we could save 13 million by cutting Long and Wells. That would lane Hudson and another good lineman. Now I'm getting upset... :(

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand this line of thinking. What does it hurt that he is currently on the roster, other than your (as a fan) piece of mind. I am sure they know exactly what they are going to do, and if they are going to cut him, it doesn't matter if it is today, or if it was 2 months ago. People just get upset because they don't know the plan. I would be worried if the front office was making moves based on a small minority of the fan base's piece of mind. I promise that the minute they need the cap space they will do what they need to (which is already in the plan) to create it.

This time of year brings out a bit of the Chicken-Little in all of us. We just need to step back and relax.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
You know Jones/Rhaney could actually be even worse than Wells right?
Obviously I have a different way of looking at it. To me Wells is and always will be below the minimum acceptable baseline of performance. He is an F. Even if Jones/Rhaney are somehow worse, all they would do is also get Fs. Same thing. There is no "good F" or "bad F" -- fail is fail. And if someone is gonna suck at center, I would rather pay $500,000 than $4,000,000 for suck with zero upside.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Obviously I have a different way of looking at it. To me Wells is and always will be below the minimum acceptable baseline of performance. He is an F. Even if Jones/Rhaney are somehow worse, all they would do is also get Fs. Same thing. There is no "good F" or "bad F" -- fail is fail. And if someone is gonna suck at center, I would rather pay $500,000 than $4,000,000 for suck with zero upside.

You can hand out arbitrary grades, but if Jones or Rhaney is getting our fragile QB hit more times than Wells, I'm not worried about the money.

I'm confident Wells' contract isn't going to prevent us from addressing other needs, and if it would, I think he'd be looking for another team quickly.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I am sure they know exactly what they are going to do ... People just get upset because they don't know the plan... We just need to step back and relax.
Agreed about the relax part -- this is just posting to a message board venting for fun, sorry if it's coming off as anything serious!

But the Silence of the Rams technique with this stuff and just trusting they know what they are doing only works when you are, for example, the Patriots and can point to double-digit wins every year as proof you know what you're doing. I don't think the Fisher regime has reached that level of winning where trust is just there.

And honestly there's head-scratching moments all the time from this front office, like the K.Langford release. Perhaps instead of complete silence Fisher or Snead could have said "We really worked hard to bring back Kendall at a reduced number but in the end the cap just didn't let us and the numbers were too far apart, and he wanted a chance to start". But no, the silence seems to suggest they didn't try at all, and now there's another hole to fill among all the other holes.

So I'm sorry but the trust isn't there. I'm actually worried Wells will be back, the OL will be weak again, and $4million of limited cap space that could have gone somewhere else will be wasted.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing. And what exactly does it harm the Rams from waiting until the deadline to actually cut him?
Because the cap room his release would create would allow them to shop for his replacement
Clearing out their cap issue players would put them in a much better position. I dont know of when being prepared in advance has ever back fired. To think a viable alternative to Wells isnt available to our guys is scary thought

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just not sure whats up here....with Scott Wells.?

I do know that Wells is a good around good guy. Not sure if any other OL'er in the NFL who has experienced such bad luck the last three seasons. The weakness of Wells's play would seem to have materialized due to injuries. Its a wonder after almost dying during last yrs TC he was able to play @ all last season.

Wells may have had an outstanding off season finally??? Its possible that Wells has fully recovered from those two or three knee surgeries, the foot surgery & the dislocated elbow injury and the illness that nearly took his life. We just do not know here. Butt that's not all that out of the realm of possibilities.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
On a side note.. We didn't make a tender offer to Turner either.. o_O:cool: Ooppps.. I meant Barnes. :cool:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Wells was the worst qualifying centre in the league for a PFF grade (if you put any stock in that). And if you don't, then you only needed to watch him play to know he was poor.

He's due $1m on the 12th (I think).

Surely common sense dictates that his place on the 2015 roster cannot be justified and he has to be cut before Thursday. If he isn't cut by then I think this would be the first thing that would make me genuinely wonder what the hell Snisher is doing.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Because the cap room his release would create would allow them to shop for his replacement
Clearing out their cap issue players would put them in a much better position. I dont know of when being prepared in advance has ever back fired. To think a viable alternative to Wells isnt available to our guys is scary thought

Preparing for the departure of London Fletcher by planning to roll with Jamie Duncan.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Preparing for the departure of London Fletcher by planning to roll with Jamie Duncan.

That's kind of comparing the time tested apples to oranges. Scott Wells is no caliber that London Fletcher was. I get your point though. I'm liking what Bonifay said above.. Maybe the worm has turned on Well's injuries?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
That's kind of comparing the time tested apples to oranges. Scott Wells is no caliber that London Fletcher was. I get your point though. I'm liking what Bonifay said above.. Maybe the worm has turned on Well's injuries?

I was kidding, Dag.